Menu

Unexplained itchiness

I feel like since I turned 40 I've had so many weird problems, but I really hate to add this one to the list. I'm itchy, itchy, itchy! No new products or food in the house that I can think of and there is no visible rash. This has been going on for about a week. Any ideas/suggestions, Dr. Hive?

I wish I knew! I've had horribly itchy legs for months now and no rash or any other visible signs of anything. It's driving me nuts.

As for that list, I have many of those things already but I insist I am just too young.:D

When I was about 38wks preg, the doc told me the itchiness was a sign my liver wasn't functioning properly. Nothing helped except delivery.

Another time I took a drug for a UTI. 2-3 weeks later I got that same itchiness. Turns out I'm allergic to sulpha drugs. While they were trying to figure it out, though, one doc said it was also a symptom of cancer and gall bladder problems. :(

This itchiness, though, wasn't a dry skin itchy. It was a "scratch-my-skin-raw" itch. I'd wake up bloody from scratching so much.

Hope you get some relief soon and that it's minor!

Oh. Errrm.

You're developing severe allergies to oxygen.

:leaving:

Aha! That must be it! (Because I'm waaaaay to young to start menopause, right? Right?????)

I have this and it gets really bad at night. I hate it.

Dawn

Yes, mine does too. :( How long have you been dealing with this?

SInce I turned about 40! :glare:

It does get better when I go to the chiropractor, but I have opted to stop that as my insurance isn't covering as much anymore.

Dawn

Aha! That must be it! (Because I'm waaaaay to young to start menopause, right? Right?????)

Yes, mine does too. :( How long have you been dealing with this?

Whats your family history like?

The only one I can go on is my mom, and she was early 50's I think. I'll have to do some research I guess, but google always comes back with so much crap it's hard to dig through it all. Seriously though, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

SInce I turned about 40! :glare:

Dawn

It IS the magic number! I swear, it's freakish how I started having problems after my 40th birthday, almost like someone flipped a switch. Hope I don't have to add "itchiness due to some horrible disease" to the list. :tongue_smilie:

Is it all over....or in just particular spots? I've been getting this weird itching on the inside of my elbow, on just one arm. It seems to be associated with the change in the weather (like heat rash. But, why only that spot?...I don't know). I just got an RX yesterday for it. I hope you get some relief soon. Take an antihistamine, like Benedryl.

It IS the magic number! I swear, it's freakish how I started having problems after my 40th birthday, almost like someone flipped a switch. Hope I don't have to add "itchiness due to some horrible disease" to the list. :tongue_smilie:

Me too! I even used the flipped a switch analogy with my dh.

Yup. Suzanne Somers calls it the "Seven Dwarfs of Menopause: Itchy, B*tchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful, and All Dried-up." :D

:lol: I'll definitely be sharing this with my mom! She's complained about every single one of these at one time or another. :lol:

Dry itchy skin can be a sign of thyroid issues but I have too much bile acid salts and I have incredible itchy skin. Its like chasing an itch. Sometimes its my hands, arms, back, legs, chest...and sometimes I scratch and the itch moves. I only know it is BAS because I went to the GI doc because I couldn't keep my irritable bowel syndrome under control no matter what I did. The doc tried a new med that only works with BAS and it was a miracle. The itching was gone and the GI symptoms, too. I had a horrible problem at work today because I haven't taken my meds for a while (my bad) and my entire arms and chest were on fire, even up my neck to my chin. It looks like I took a bath in poison Ivy.