Menu

I was all set on using SL D next year

----

How old will your oldest be in the fall? And do you think the maturity level will come up by then? A lot can happen in a summer.

We did core 3 this year with my oldest (8yo, turning 9 tomorrow), and it was a great fit. I also had a K age this year though, and he didn't want to listen in at all, zero, not interested. So he had his own core this year.

Heart of Dakota?

I just started a similar thread a few days ago. That was one suggestion that is supposed to be for slightly younger children according to their website. I think Winter Promise might also be said to be lighter, but you'd have to ask an actual user about that. I haven't tried either yet.

Guest Hollow has a US history curriculum for third graders with some good books. I've already collected most of the ones she suggests for the Native Americans. :tongue_smilie: Honestly, I think you could do best by doing something else (world or US geography?) next year and using a program that you are excited about the year after. Your enthusiasm will go a long way to helping your kids enjoy the material.

I'll second the suggestion of Guest Hollow's American History; many of the books are less "intense" than some of the SL ones. Her schedules are easy to move around and switch books as needed. All the extra links for websites and crafty things that she has scheduled in are fun. And...it's free for printing. Worth a look. :)

Would it be possible to just use the "If you lived..." series and maybe do some notebooking with them? I think I have a dozen or so of those books around here. I just don't know what to do.

This is what I'm doing with my first grader for the second year of American history, while the 4th grader does SOTW4.

I used SL3 with a 3rd grader and it worked out well. But the books do not get easier as the year goes on, so you can't really just save the trickier ones til the end.

I would look at WinterPromise American History1. It looks a little lighter than SL, but still substantial. You could keep some favorites from SL. We loved the Eli Whitney book and many of the readers.

I want to second (or really third) the suggestion to check into WinterPromise. Their American Story 1 program sounds like it would be exactly what you are looking for. It is much less intense, yet full of great information. It has lots of hands-on type experiences, websites, notebooking, etc. It is also literature based. It actually uses the "If you lived..." series in the program. It is mostly secular in the materials it uses. I think you and your kids would really love it! :001_smile:

Have you looked into My Father's World? I have 2 dd ages 7 & 5. We are going into Adventures in my father's world. It's for grades 2 & 3 and concentrates on early american history but younger ones can listen in :001_smile:. It has an awesome history core and some outstanding read-alouds. The TM also has hands-on activities. Here is the link: http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/40#Adventures

If that doesn't appeal to you I've heard Beautiful Feet has a great curriculum.

http://www.bfbooks.com/Early-American-History-Primary-Jumbo-Pack?sc=18&category=854

Hope that helps.

I agree with you completely about that core. My dd was 9.5-10.5 years old when we did core D and it was perfect for her. I think it is best suited for ages 9 and up.

Since you would (I assume) do core D the following year, one year of U.S. geography would fit in nicely for the upcoming year!

Since you have daughters, had you thought about using the American Girl books as spines? (The Portraits of American Girlhood Unit Study is recommended for grades 3-5, but you could easily fold in your younger, IMO.)

Then, you could incorporate all your If you Lived ... books & some age-appropriate readers as you like.

I'm making my own schedule (Using Complete Book of United States History as a spine, & building in PoAG, some Sonlight books, & hands-on music/art/crafts because I couldn't find one I liked. But, I'm weird that way. :-)

Good luck!

Haven't read everything so forgive me if I repeat. Winterpromise America story 1, Guest Hollow, Time Travelers with age appropriate books from the library, age appropriate books alongside lapbooks or possibly notebooking pages. For the hands on I really liked Winterpromise and we are doing the Time Travelers next year and after looking at it I cannot wait. I wish history would have been that fun when I was in school. Hands and hearts I think that is what it is called has early American history kits for crafts too.

I'm making my own schedule (Using Complete Book of United States History as a spine, & building in PoAG, some Sonlight books, & hands-on music/art/crafts because I couldn't find one I liked. But, I'm weird that way. :-)

Good luck!

If you're looking for secular, I'd second this book as a basic spine. It's listed as aimed at 3-5 graders and is easy/pleasant to read.

ETA: I was actually able to find this on PBS, so you might check there if you're a member.