Menu

Which Version Of A Little Princess? (movie)

We are currently reading "A Little Princess" and I want to watch the best film adaptation when we finish. So far my boys love this book. Who knew! :D Even my three year old listens and can answer questions. I'm searching Netflix and I see the Shirley Temple version, a British version, and one from 1995 that is an instant play.

Any recommendation? :)

I think the 1995 version is great, and I loved the Shirley Temple version as a child. My only beef with the newer one is that Sara is supposed to be only 7, and the actress who plays her is probably 11 or 12. This must be a pet peeve of mine, because Judy Garland almost makes me hate The Wizard of Oz.

Hate the Shirley Temple version. There's a complete change in the plot--in the book, her papa was investing in diamond mines, got "brain fever" when it was thought that they were worthless and that he'd been betrayed by a friend, and died. Her papa's friend moved next door to Miss Minchin's, where Sara was living, and began searching for Sara when it was found out that the diamond mines really were worth a tremendous lot of money.

In the ST movie, Sara's papa fights in the Boer War, and is presumed dead. He isn't. It's a total screw up of the book.

As far as Sara being played by an older actress, well, Sara does age in the book. Although she is 7 when she first comes to the Seminary, she is, I think, 12 when her papa dies.

The best version, I think, is the Wonderworks version.

Hate the Shirley Temple version, love the 1995 version, but neither one of them follows the plot line of the book. In this instance, I think the film version has the better ending. And I never think that about an altered movie. :lol:

I had recently watched that 1995 version - and I totally forgot that the ending was different from the book! Wish the Wonderworks version was available on Netflix.

But you are right - the ending was good even if different!

This version is by far the best, and it is true to the book in that the father dies. I think it is the 1986 version? I grew up with a VHS of this version, so I guess I'm biased, but I really love it. It's sort of on Netflix in that you can "Save" it.

ETA: On Netflix, all the reviewers say it is the closest to the book of any movie.

ETA Again: I actually found the entire movie in 10 minute chunks on YouTube, if you were willing to do that since I can't find it anywhere else. Here's the first one, and you should be able to go from there.

Edited by MeaganS

Yeah, the '95 version really irked me. I think it was the weird mysticism aspect and the funky special effects, although the fact that things were played much more for comedic effect was a little frustrating, too. I mean, this is a book of dramatic reversals written for little kids--it's all about the gasps, not the giggles. But I can't really remember, because it's been so long since I've seen it and I hated it--I'm not going to watch it again!

Now I want to check out this BBC/Wonderworks version. It sounds cool!

Hate the Shirley Temple version. There's a complete change in the plot--in the book, her papa was investing in diamond mines, got "brain fever" when it was thought that they were worthless and that he'd been betrayed by a friend, and died. Her papa's friend moved next door to Miss Minchin's, where Sara was living, and began searching for Sara when it was found out that the diamond mines really were worth a tremendous lot of money.

In the ST movie, Sara's papa fights in the Boer War, and is presumed dead. He isn't. It's a total screw up of the book.

As far as Sara being played by an older actress, well, Sara does age in the book. Although she is 7 when she first comes to the Seminary, she is, I think, 12 when her papa dies.

The best version, I think, is the Wonderworks version.

:iagree:

OK, so for myself, I just went through and found all the pieces of my favorite version of A Little Princess on YouTube and made a playlist for them in order. If anyone cares, here's a link to that playlist. It should have the complete movie.

ETA: Apparently this is the Wonderworks version.

Thanks so much!! (Now I only wish the wi-fi on the blu-ray player would work decently!)

My children and I make a habit of watching several film/tv versions of a story we liked in its original literary form. We then discuss the variations and why they might have been made. So I vote for watching a couple of versions.

This was particularly interesting recently, when we read Hansel & Gretel. In the original story, the father is not such a good guy, conceding to help the wicked step-mother in abandoning his own children in the woods. Yet, in the end, Hansel & Gretel return to him with a bunch of treasure from the witches house. He ends up rich and happy without consequence.

All the film/tv versions adjust the plot to make him a good guy by having the step-mother trick him in some way. One version had no step-mother at all. The kids just got lost picking berries. We got to discuss the push for a truely happy ending, especially in children's stories, and the reality of injustice and unhappy endings in real life. We discussed "sheltering" of children from difficult issues, etc. It really became quite a discussion!

I think the 1995 version is great, and I loved the Shirley Temple version as a child. My only beef with the newer one is that Sara is supposed to be only 7, and the actress who plays her is probably 11 or 12. This must be a pet peeve of mine, because Judy Garland almost makes me hate The Wizard of Oz.

I was just always thankful Shirley Temple did NOT get this role as was originally planned. Then it just would have been another cute Shirley Temple movie.

Well, the book begins when she's 7 and ends at 14, with her father's death occuring at age 11 -- without using two actresses, compromising on an 11 year old seems reasonable.

• 9 months later...
Guest princesslucy2

Having seen all three versions and read the book I will say this if you want the most faithful adaptation that sticks to the story and really shows the book for what it was go for the 1986 version produced by Wonderwork and PBS in 1986 because they did it right and Amelia Shankley was a very convincing Sara ,also they did a better job showing her go from a healthy well cared for little girl to a drudge none of the other two movies did that just by making her hair look unkempt and adding dirt smudges the change was evident . They had the Carmichael family who were very important and Mr. Carrisford

The version with the most emotional scenes and music would have to be the 1995 ,I do like this one too because of the music and emotional reunion also because Liesel Matthews also does do a good job as Sara,keeping to the traits of Sara

Do not get the 1939 version Shirley Temple is just too overly sweet to be a good Sara she was not very convincing . There is a ridiculous subplot concerning a teacher and riding instructor ,plus they had no scenes with Ermengarde who was Sara' s closest friend or Lottie who Sara took under her wing it was these characters among others that let Sara show who she truly was. Also the deus ex machina was unrealistic ,I mean how convenient the Queen is at the hospital ,at least in the 1995 version the deus ex machina was more realistic Sara tragically calling Papa over and over as she's dragged away by the police snaps something inside him and he remembers who she is was a very emotional scene also because she actually believed her Father was dead until she saw him makes the reunion that much more powerful ,but in the 1939 she refused to believe to the point of annoyance the reunion was just a "eh whatever" moment because it was bound to happen

Having seen all three versions and read the book I will say this if you want the most faithful adaptation that sticks to the story and really shows the book for what it was go for the 1986 version produced by Wonderwork and PBS in 1986 because they did it right and Amelia Shankley was a very convincing Sara ,also they did a better job showing her go from a healthy well cared for little girl to a drudge none of the other two movies did that just by making her hair look unkempt and adding dirt smudges the change was evident . They had the Carmichael family who were very important and Mr. Carrisford

The version with the most emotional scenes and music would have to be the 1995 ,I do like this one too because of the music and emotional reunion also because Liesel Matthews also does do a good job as Sara,keeping to the traits of Sara

Do not get the 1939 version Shirley Temple is just too overly sweet to be a good Sara she was not very convincing . There is a ridiculous subplot concerning a teacher and riding instructor ,plus they had no scenes with Ermengarde who was Sara' s closest friend or Lottie who Sara took under her wing it was these characters among others that let Sara show who she truly was. Also the deus ex machina was unrealistic ,I mean how convenient the Queen is at the hospital ,at least in the 1995 version the deus ex machina was more realistic Sara tragically calling Papa over and over as she's dragged away by the police snaps something inside him and he remembers who she is was a very emotional scene also because she actually believed her Father was dead until she saw him makes the reunion that much more powerful ,but in the 1939 she refused to believe to the point of annoyance the reunion was just a "eh whatever" moment because it was bound to happen

Oh wow, I never knew there was a version that was actually true to the book! I have to admit I dislike all the movies on principle because they all eliminate the diamond mines and make the father actually alive. That's not how it's supposed to happen at all!

Agree that I particularly loathe the Shirley Temple version. The 1996 version is nicely done, and the girl does a good job playing Sara.

We enjoyed the 1986 TV mini-series (I think it orignally aired on the old "Wonderworks" show) of a Little Princess. And if you go on to read The Secret Garden, the 1993 film is absolutely lovely and magical. Same producer who did the absolutely beautiful 1979 film version of The Black Stallion. And one more beautiful -- and poignant -- children's film as a must-see: The Secret of Roan Innish (1994).

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We enjoyed the 1986 TV mini-series (I think it orignally aired on the old "Wonderworks" show) of a Little Princess. And if you go on to read The Secret Garden, the 1993 film is absolutely lovely and magical. Same producer who did the absolutely beautiful 1979 film version of The Black Stallion. And one more beautiful -- and poignant -- children's film as a must-see: The Secret of Roan Innish (1994).

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I only recently saw "The Secret of Roan Innish" and I agree, it's a beautifully done film.

Also, I haven't seen the 1986 version of LP - thanks to everyone for recommending it!