Menu

Premature Atreal Contractions . . . .anyone?

My ds15 was diagnosed with this this morning at the ER. He's been having weird sensations with his heart for a couple days. Yesterday it was a bit better, but it got really bad last night. We took him in this morning. They ran an EKG, chest x-ray, and did lots of bloodwork. All was normal except the EKG.

Anyone else have this? Or have a child with it? He's having it happen a lot. Why isn't it stopping?

We'll follow up with a cardiologist tomorrow.

I'm sorry this is happening and glad you are near a cardiologist. He's in my prayers. Let us know what the doctor says!

Thanks. The ER doc didn't seem concerned. But, he did tell ds not to exert himself - no exercise, mowing the lawn, etc - until he is cleared by the cardio. PAC is usually benign they said. Usually brought on by caffeine or alcohol (he's had neither). But, it's not stopping.

It's kind of funny actually. The cardiologist we were told to call is his baseball coach from five years ago!!! The boys love this man!

IIRC, the most common thing is caffeine or other stimulants (sudafed is a biggie for me). I know a few people who have had good results cutting back on coffee and taking CoQ10.

Hoping the cardiologist rules out anything more serious!

Yes. My eight year old son has this. We followed up with the cardiologist and he wore a holter monitor for two days, then had an echocardiagram, followed by a treadmill stress test. Everything looked healthy and we dont even need to follow up with the cardiologist.

I hope your son has similar results!

IIRC, the most common thing is caffeine or other stimulants (sudafed is a biggie for me). I know a few people who have had good results cutting back on coffee and taking CoQ10.

Hoping the cardiologist rules out anything more serious!

How long does yours usually last? And, how often does it happen? Ds is having an episode every couple minutes. That will last for an hour or so. Then, he won't feel it for a couple hours and then it'll come on more often again.

Thanks! I'm not TOO concerned. He had a complete cardio workup last year for another issue. But, as his mom, I can't help but worry a little!

Yes. My eight year old son has this. We followed up with the cardiologist and he wore a holter monitor for two days, then had an echocardiagram, followed by a treadmill stress test. Everything looked healthy and we dont even need to follow up with the cardiologist.

I hope your son has similar results!

Thanks!!! This helps. I'm assuming he'll have to wear a monitor too. How long does it last when it happens? That's the only thing that's making me so nervous. It's been three days now. It was better yesterday and then much worse last night.

I have had issues with PVC's - Premature Ventricular Contractions. It boiled down to caffeine, fatigue and stress.

I'm thinking it was brought on by fatigue. He's been having trouble sleeping.

Until all the sudafed has cleared. I don't metabolize it (or any other decongestants or expectorants) well, so if I take a regular little red one on two consecutive days, my heart rate jacks up to 150 or so. One pill would probably give me intermittent palpitations for a couple of days. I don't take it enough or worry enough about the annoying heart beats to give you a more definitive answer though.

I'm thinking it was brought on by fatigue. He's been having trouble sleeping.

that would make me think there's something stimulating his nervous system. Which, of course, could be just about anything from stress to food additives to pollen...

that would make me think there's something stimulating his nervous system. Which, of course, could be just about anything from stress to food additives to pollen...

Interesting. He did go out to dinner on Friday nigth - the night it started. He ate stuff he never gets here at home - a HUGE bacon burger and fries. He had water though (not caffeine). Then, he had Reese's Peanut Butter cups for dessert (he said he had three).

I just wish we could get him in to the cardiologist NOW!!!

Guest momk2000

I'm so sorry your son is going through this, I hope all checks out well with the cardiologist.

I have experienced PVC'S for 3yrs now, and yes they are quite frightening. I was cleared by my cardiologist, and have pretty much decided mine are related to my wacked out perimenopausal hormones. I do go through periods, sometimes weeks at a time when I don't feel them at all, then suddenly they surface again and may go on for several weeks. I have been checked out by a cardiologist twice within the past 3 years and both times he reassured me that they are benign, but it's still quite scary when they are happening.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I was just diagnosed with PACs. Cardiologist determined they are benign. Brought on by stress. Wore the holter monitor, had an EKG and ECHO, as well as bloodwork. I don't consume caffeine or OTC meds, so it had to be stress. They come and go.

Edited by cdrumm4448

Just thought I'd add some info on my PVC's. Initially I just noticed them at night and I thought it was my imagination. After awhile I asked DH to see if he thought anything was funny with my heartbeat. He listened and he noticed it right away. I was having them all.day.long. I noticed it several times a minute. I didn't feel weird other than my heart beating weird. It was a little uncomfortable but nothing too worrisome. (Other than you heart not working right.) The nurse at work suggested that I see a Dr. as soon as I could schedule an appointment.

I ended up in Urgent Care because DH was freaked out. They picked it up on the EKG. The Dr. explained that the PVC's are harmless. Some people experience pain but I don't. He explained caffeine, fatigue and stress were the three main factors. I had just taken a new job and was studying for licensing tests. I didn't realize how little sleep I was getting, how much soda I was drinking, how much chocolate I was eating and that I was really stressed out. :001_huh:

PACs aren't any biggie. An early, extra heartbeat....that's it. Not a problem in an otherwise healthy person with no other cardio or lung issues. No treatment is necessary. They can be annoying, but other than that, nothing to worry about. They can be brought on by any number of things.....stress, caffeine, hormones (I always get mine during PMS), lack of sleep, etc. I'm sure the cardiologist will relieve your fears. Make sure you aren't showing your son any of your anxiety over them. That will make his own anxiety worse and he'll probably become more symptomatic.

I'm so sorry your son is going through this, I hope all checks out well with the cardiologist.

I have experienced PVC'S for 3yrs now, and yes they are quite frightening. I was cleared by my cardiologist, and have pretty much decided mine are related to my wacked out perimenopausal hormones. I do go through periods, sometimes weeks at a time when I don't feel them at all, then suddenly they surface again and may go on for several weeks. I have been checked out by a cardiologist twice within the past 3 years and both times he reassured me that they are benign, but it's still quite scary when they are happening.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry you are going through them too. They really are scary!

My daughter had PVCs (originally thought to be PACs) from 12 months til she outgrew them at age 6. Hers were benign but she saw a cardiologist once a year for a check up.

Wow! That's so little! Glad to hear she outgrew them.

I was just diagnosed with PACs. Cardiologist determined they are benign. Brought on by stress. Wore the holter monitor, had an EKG and ECHO, as well as bloodwork. I don't consume caffeine or OTC meds, so it had to be stress. They come and go.

:grouphug:

Sleep apnea can cause them. In random beats typically it is not much to worry about it is a beat that came to fast. Lots people have them ramdomly thru the day and never know it

The ER doc said that most people have them and don't notice it. I'll ask the cardiologist about sleep apnea too. Thanks.

Just thought I'd add some info on my PVC's. Initially I just noticed them at night and I thought it was my imagination. After awhile I asked DH to see if he thought anything was funny with my heartbeat. He listened and he noticed it right away. I was having them all.day.long. I noticed it several times a minute. I didn't feel weird other than my heart beating weird. It was a little uncomfortable but nothing too worrisome. (Other than you heart not working right.) The nurse at work suggested that I see a Dr. as soon as I could schedule an appointment.

I ended up in Urgent Care because DH was freaked out. They picked it up on the EKG. The Dr. explained that the PVC's are harmless. Some people experience pain but I don't. He explained caffeine, fatigue and stress were the three main factors. I had just taken a new job and was studying for licensing tests. I didn't realize how little sleep I was getting, how much soda I was drinking, how much chocolate I was eating and that I was really stressed out. :001_huh:

I can see why you were stresssed! And, my son asked me to feel his heart too. I think it freaks me out more than him.

PACs aren't any biggie. An early, extra heartbeat....that's it. Not a problem in an otherwise healthy person with no other cardio or lung issues. No treatment is necessary. They can be annoying, but other than that, nothing to worry about. They can be brought on by any number of things.....stress, caffeine, hormones (I always get mine during PMS), lack of sleep, etc. I'm sure the cardiologist will relieve your fears. Make sure you aren't showing your son any of your anxiety over them. That will make his own anxiety worse and he'll probably become more symptomatic.

Good point about me not showing too much stress to him. I'm not very good about that, unfortunately.

Thanks again all. He slept all night (still sleeping) and hopefully he'll be better today.

Hey Jen, just wanted to let you know you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers today. I have those beats and it's scary sometimes. I wake up with them--so I think it's apnea related for me. Getting it checked out.

Let us know how the cardiol appt goes.

I started having PVCs and PACs when I was a teenager. My triggers are definitely stress, fatigue, and caffeine (which I generally avoid), as well as hormonal changes (I feel a lot the first few months I'm pregnant, then few or none the rest of the pregnancy). I used to feel them all the time; they're the kind of thing, I think, that the more you think about them, the more you notice them. Now it comes and goes. I have periods where I'll feel them frequently, and long periods where I don't notice them at all.

Regular, moderate aerobic exercise seems to help me, although whether that's because the exercise is helpful in itself or because it reduces stress and helps me sleep better, I don't know.

Oh, I find that hydration is an issue for me, too. If I'm dehydrated, I'm more likely to feel them.

any updates?

Thanks! You are so sweet to ask.

Long story short. Cardiologist had an appointment in JULY!!!! So, I played the friend card. This cardio was my ds' baseball coach three years ago. We still see the family socially. Anyway, they tried and tried to get us in and called when I was out!!! ACK! We've got calls in to him and hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow!!!!

But, ds has not had an episode for about an hour now. That's longer than he's gone since Friday night!!!

Jennifer, I don't know how I missed this, but am praying now for ds! Be encouraged that there have been so many advances in medicine and I know he'll be fine.

Food for thought that hopefully you won't need to use......Cleveland Clinic which is just a few hours from you has a TOP rated cardiology dept. TOP as in national and perhaps international.

HTH! Sheryl

I'm another PVC gal. I felt them most when I was pregnant, when it could have been hormones or lack of sleep, and when my children were younger, definitely lack of sleep! Even if I have stress, I don't feel the PVC's unless I'm really fatigued.

Dh has extra beats, too, but I'm not sure what type. He's had them since we was a kid, especially when he exercises. He's been cleared by a cardiologist, exercises vigorously, and is nearing fifty now and all is okay.

My grandfather is nearing 90 and he has always had them, too. Until he got vertigo a couple of yeas ago, he played tennis a few times a week.

My point is many people can have PVCs or PACs and live long, healthy, active lives.

When they do the halter monitor, they will pick up the PACs and count them and see where that count fits in the range of normal. I've done the halter monitor 3 times and they've told me that my count is in the normal range, and at times when I had them I felt they were happening constantly. In other words, it can feel like a lot but not be.

One think that's tricky about extra beats is that before you know what they are and confirm that they're benign, they freak you out. It's a strange sensation in your heart (a necessary organ, after all), you don't know what it is and, naturally, think it's serious, so the whole experience makes your anxiety level increase which can cause more of them.

There's a very good chance everything will be fine with your ds. You'll know the diagnosis and if it comes up later in a physical exam, for example, you'll know what it is and not to worry.

Hope this helps a little!