Menu

Health care-What percentage of your gross income

There are several factors currently at play, but depending on the outcome of insurance appeals and the income from dh's business, anywhere from 16%-28%.

ETA: And to be honest, I'm just estimating because I still have yet to have surgery and get a bill. There's also the chance that the insurance company could refuse to pay for the surgery despite medical pre-approval since approvals are non-binding. In reality, the totals could be much higher, but emotionally I just can't go there yet.

Edited by FairProspects

Around 2% for dental and eyes? It will probably go up a little now that the kids are hitting braces age, I think our insurance pays 75% for that.

We rarely pay anything for anything not related to teeth or eyes.

We don't pay for our insurance, it is part of our pay and benefits.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

We actually have it really good, thank goodness. Our annual out-of-pocket is about 5% of DH's income (premiums for health, dental and vision, prescriptions, and regular doctor visits). His company contributes just over 10% of his salary for our premiums.

We have Kaiser Permanente and although I've had minor issues with them, our coverage is really fantastic. DH works for HP which has over 300,000 employees so they are able to get really good rates. Each year, DH has to pick a health care package from Kaiser, Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and some other plans that he can't remember. We've always had the Kaiser plan.

DH looked up the Schedule A deduction and you can deduct your medical expenses that are over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Edited by Night Elf

It varies. Ours has been as low as 18% and as high as 25%. Every year, dh's company sends an invoice that shows the total cost of premiums, how much they covered, and how much we paid. Last year, it was $19,600, of which they paid slightly more than half. Out-of-pocket costs last year ran us approximately $8,000.

That covered myself, my dh, and our ds.

Edited by Aelwydd

About 2% of our income goes to medical, dental, and vision. Actually, all of that is really dental and vision. Dh's company has excellent benefits for medical (they pay 100% of the premium, and we have no co-pays or co-insurance). Yes, I realize we are very fortunate. Having gone from a company where we paid close to 20% of our income towards medical care, I do know what it's like. Dental and vision plans are pretty average plans, based on past experiences.

Most month zero.

For when we need to go -

It costs 35 dollars to see the expensive English speaking doctor in town. It's 2.50 for any one of the local doctors. We've had to buy a medicine here and there. Sometimes the expensive doc has just given it to us out of his stock. Sometimes we've purchased it ourselves and we've not spent more than 10 dollars for anything so far.

NHS contributions are just part of general taxation. A quick Google search suggested that it came to about 4.5% of average gross income, but I don't know if that is correct.

I don't pay tax, as my part-time income is too low. Husband is unemployed at the moment, so also not paying tax. We are therefore paying nothing towards our health care at present.

Laura

If you don't include BCP and the rare antibiotic prescription, then zero.

If you are counting prescriptions, then my BCP is $12/mo. I had to get some Cipro a few months ago for a UTI and that was $22. Ds had strep a while back and his penicillin was around $10-$15 (can't remember exactly).

I have no complaints about my healthcare service here, either. :001_smile: