Menu

Catholic moms/ Christian moms...Do you cover?

In reading the rebuking thread, I read that a mom on here covers her head part time. I cover my head for religious reasons (Catholic) most of the time. I wear only skirts as well. I'd like to cover full time, but my head gets so hot in the summer. Anyways, I'm just wondering how many Catholic or Christian moms cover for religious reasons. Just curious. :bigear:

What about for hard physical labor, or for horse back riding?

I wear jeans most of the time because most days I am doing something involving physical labor. I would tear up a skirt and get scratched up myself otherwise.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear jeans most of the time because most days I am doing something involving physical labor. I would tear up a skirt and get scratched up myself otherwise.

Speaking for myself:

I do wear pj bottoms around the house. Have worn yoga or jogging pants for thinning out bushes. Horseback riding is entirely possible with the right kind of skirt or with a riding skirt (it's done in riding shows all the time). However, personally, I don't see anything wrong with putting on a pair of pants for something extreme (aka, if I were going to do some SERIOUS hiking, I would probably find/beg/buy/borrow a pair of jeans. Average walking or hiking, nope, my skirt is fine. Women ride bicycles around here literally all the time in skirts and dresses (Old Order Mennonites are allowed bicycles, Amish are only allowed scooters). Bicycles are a regular form of transportation here. A friend of mine will wear sweatpants under her skirt. I've been known to wear bloomers LOL!

Edited by mommaduck

Well, we have never gone horseback riding so I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :tongue_smilie:

As far as working outside. Long skirts really aren't that hard to do gardening in or similar things. Other physical labor outside I haven't done. I have nothing against wearing pants or jeans. I just love how comfortable a skirt is. Also the modesty aspect of not showing my form. If I had to wear pants I would. I just choose not to for as long as I can help it.

Wow, I'm Catholic and have never even heard of women covering their heads (other than pre-Vatican II). Didn't know anyone still did this. There is a very traditional/conservative Catholic church here with lots of homeschoolers. I wonder if anyone there covers? Interesting.

Well, we have never gone horseback riding so I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :tongue_smilie:

As far as working outside. Long skirts really aren't that hard to do gardening in or similar things. Other physical labor outside I haven't done. I have nothing against wearing pants or jeans. I just love how comfortable a skirt is. Also the modesty aspect of not showing my form. If I had to wear pants I would. I just choose not to for as long as I can help it.

That's cool. I'm just trying to picture myself wearing a skirt all the time. If I am moving large piles of broken concrete blocks and old wood, like I was doing earlier this week, I'd rather not get poked and scratched and have spiders crawling up under my skirt. Aaaah. (Of course, we had the immature neighbor helping out and Throwing spiders at us) And skirts to me are kind of nice and a little dressy at least and I have a hard time picturing getting all dirty in one. lol

On the other hand, the native population we work with has all the grown women in skirts all the time and they work in the fields all day, so what do I know?

How do you prevent ticks?

That's cool. I'm just trying to picture myself wearing a skirt all the time. If I am moving large piles of broken concrete blocks and old wood, like I was doing earlier this week, I'd rather not get poked and scratched and have spiders crawling up under my skirt. Aaaah. (Of course, we had the immature neighbor helping out and Throwing spiders at us) And skirts to me are kind of nice and a little dressy at least and I have a hard time picturing getting all dirty in one. lol

On the other hand, the native population we work with has all the grown women in skirts all the time and they work in the fields all day, so what do I know?

How do you prevent ticks?

You can always wear stretch pants or bloomers under ;)

Speaking for myself:

I do wear pj bottoms around the house. Have worn yoga or jogging pants for thinning out bushes. Horseback riding is entirely possible with the right kind of skirt or with a riding skirt (it's done in riding shows all the time). However, personally, I don't see anything wrong with putting on a pair of pants for something extreme (aka, if I were going to do some SERIOUS hiking, I would probably find/beg/buy/borrow a pair of jeans. Average walking or hiking, nope, my skirt is fine. Women ride bicycles around here literally all the time in skirts and dresses (Old Order Mennonites are allowed bicycles, Amish are only allowed scooters). Bicycles are a regular form of transportation here. A friend of mine will wear sweatpants under her skirt. I've been known to wear bloomers LOL!

I wear pj bottoms at home, too. :tongue_smilie: It doesn't matter what time it is. In fact, it's 2:30 pm and I'm supposed to be studying and I'm in some old, comfy bottoms with fishing polar bears and snow flakes on them.

Why can't Amish people ride bikes?

Bloomers sound like fun and would fix the spider/tick problem I mentioned above.

I have been considering wearing skirts around here because I am not sure if the native population thinks we're weird and/or inappropriate for wearing pants. I should probably just ask them. lol But either way, I'm always looking for ways to make them feel as comfortable as possible. If they can feel more at home with the ladies all in skirts, that's great. There must be some reason that I've never, ever seen one in pants.

I wear pj bottoms at home, too. :tongue_smilie: It doesn't matter what time it is. In fact, it's 2:30 pm and I'm supposed to be studying and I'm in some old, comfy bottoms with fishing polar bears and snow flakes on them.

Why can't Amish people ride bikes?

Bloomers sound like fun and would fix the spider/tick problem I mentioned above.

I have been considering wearing skirts around here because I am not sure if the native population thinks we're weird and/or inappropriate for wearing pants. I should probably just ask them. lol But either way, I'm always looking for ways to make them feel as comfortable as possible. If they can feel more at home with the ladies all in skirts, that's great. There must be some reason that I've never, ever seen one in pants.

Don't ask them, as they may be afraid of offending you. Just slowly start to blend a bit if you want ;)

Amish aren't supposed to ride bicycles just like they aren't supposed to own a vehicle. However, "supposed to" and "actually do" are two entirely different things around here :lol: They know every loophole known to mankind. Just buy a truck and put it in a friend's name and say it's "borrowed and for work...as long as it's white, the bishop might let you alone". Need electricity, tell the neighbour you would like to plug into his outdoor outlet for an afternoon of weedeating...just forget to unplug while you continue to use his electricity to build your barn over the next two weeks. Pay a neighbor to keep your freezer full of meat in their garage for you. Get a hot pink cell phone for work...have it in the boss' name and just pay the bill. Want electricity in the house, just buy a house that already has it. If it already has it, then it's "grandfathered" into the rules...you may use it in limitation. And you can use public transportation, get a ride from a neighbour, hire an Amish-driver (English person that gets paid to drive Amish to and from work, the hospital, other states to visit family, etc...people make a good living at this), etc.

I found a bicycle by our fenceline when we lived in the county. Brought it to our porch to ask neighbours about it. Well, had the Amishman next door come up and claim his bicycle. He apparently would ride it to our fenceline, ditch it, and walk the rest of the way to where he was going so he wasn't seen riding it...then claim it on his way back (his son is the the one who owned the buggy I have described in my "location" status).

The reason why is foggy...anywhere from not being like the old order mennonites to being too much like a car or motorcycle (yeah, I know...). But a scooter, you have to STAND on and push with your foot (and even though it goes fast downhill, you have to walk it uphill).

Wow, I'm Catholic and have never even heard of women covering their heads (other than pre-Vatican II). Didn't know anyone still did this. There is a very traditional/conservative Catholic church here with lots of homeschoolers. I wonder if anyone there covers? Interesting.

A few women veil at my parish. One friend veils only during Communion.

I am Christian (Baptist with Torah observant ideals :lol: bit of an oxy moron) I cover fulltime outside of the home (some days at home I don't because I want to lounge and the knot in the back gets in the way lol) I also where skirts fulltime, as do my daughters they do not cover their heads as they are unmarried its up to them if they keep the same level of modesty when they leave our home.

If your area has a church that conducts a Tridentine Mass I'd hazard a guess that you would see many ladies who veil.

At Novus Ordo Masses here in Los Angeles it is rare (but not unheard of) to see women veiled. Some of those who do it seem like they are simply showing an affinity for tradition (small t). And with others it can be a sign of "protest" (Tradition with a Big T).

Bill

:001_huh: Wow. I never knew anyone else who made the distinction between the small t and the big T.

I'm a small t. I attend the traditional Mass. I cover my head only in church as do many but not all of the women at my church. I leave it up to my girls about whether to cover their heads or not.

For one Lent, I tried to wear skirts more but it caused me to feel too much frustration, and life is hard enough. I always wear a skirt to Mass and other special events, even coop, but I'm usually in jeans at other times.

I think I've been around the block enough to see that skirts or head coverings don't make a person any holier, neither does the rite that one observes.

I am rather conservative about modesty, though. All private parts are well covered here.

I wish it was okay for women to dress in different styles according to their mood. I mean - I'd love to wear a Sari on Monday, jeans and t-shirt on Tuesday, one of those fabulous turbans african-american women get to wear on Wednesday with the matching robe thingy, an Amish outfit on Thursday and stay in my PJs on Friday.

Oh, and if I could get away with one of those Mantilla things - I'd wear it, church or no church!

How come we can't just experience it all!?!

I wish it was okay for women to dress in different styles according to their mood. I mean - I'd love to wear a Sari on Monday, jeans and t-shirt on Tuesday, one of those fabulous turbans african-american women get to wear on Wednesday with the matching robe thingy, an Amish outfit on Thursday and stay in my PJs on Friday.

Oh, and if I could get away with one of those Mantilla things - I'd wear it, church or no church!

How come we can't just experience it all!?!

Who's stopping you? :D

Seriously. If I could get together with all my women friends once a month, wear Amish outfits and have a barn-raising, quilting bee or big feast with the kids running all around in their britches and dresses.....

I'd be there with bells on. Every single month!

Been there, done that...not all you think it's cracked up to be (at least not if you had to do it all the time). However, I'm with you...I like my variety. So I take my need for variety out on my coverings. I have a bunch of them and have learned to tie them different ways. I get them in all different shapes, sizes, colours, patterns, etc.

Dress code is as much cultural as religious. I am raised Eastern Orthodox and you can't enter the Orthodox churn in my country without your head being covered and all your body being covered as well (long skirt, long sleeves, etc). The same is true I believe of Catholics. No amount of communist indoctrination and mass killings were able to change it. I have been a few times to an Orthodox Church in the U.S. and I was surprise how liberal the dress code was.

One nice side effect that I have noticed in more happy-clappy churches (NOT my type of liturgy at all) is that people are less insistent on holding my hand at the Our Father (a major pet peeve of mine) or shaking my hand at the sign of peace (I prefer to give a smile and a slight bow but keep my hands folded) because they just figure that I'm a cranky weirdo to begin with.

:lol:

I have been fortunate enough never to have anyone try to hold my hand during the Our Father and I hope to keep it that way.

I don't wear a veil in Mass, but I've considered it. Some women in our parish do and some don't. It's the most conservative parish in our diocese in terms of liturgy, but nobody seems to worry about what is or is not on some one else's head.

As for skirts, I wear them when I want to and not when I don't.

One nice side effect that I have noticed in more happy-clappy churches (NOT my type of liturgy at all) is that people are less insistent on holding my hand at the Our Father (a major pet peeve of mine) or shaking my hand at the sign of peace (I prefer to give a smile and a slight bow but keep my hands folded) because they just figure that I'm a cranky weirdo to begin with.

I do wish the magisterium would rule on this one way or another. People are either all for it or totally against it and at times one never knows the preference of the person standing next to one.

If one does not want to hold hands one feels like a schmuck because on the right wants to hold hands. Or if one actually feels like holding hands the person on the left wants to be left alone. Again with the schmuck feeling.

Either "yes, it is a good and proper thing," or "no, quit doing all that hand holding!"

I do wish the magisterium would rule on this one way or another. People are either all for it or totally against it and at times one never knows the preference of the person standing next to one.

If one does not want to hold hands one feels like a schmuck because on the right wants to hold hands. Or if one actually feels like holding hands the person on the left wants to be left alone. Again with the schmuck feeling.

Either "yes, it is a good and proper thing," or "no, quit doing all that hand holding!"

It is my understanding that hand-holding is not to be done. I think it's a regional thing, but yes, I would appreciate a clear, "Don't do that!" I once visited a church the week after Easter where the entire homily was about a situation that had occurred the week before. Apparently, a white family was visiting, and their young teen girl was near an African-American teen boy. He reached for her hand and the girl wouldn't take it. The homily was about the evils of racism, which I agree is evil. However, the girl might normally have attended a church that does not hold hands during the Our Father and so was surprised and just didn't react well. That possibility was never considered in the homily. Dh and I were just like, "Well, if you wouldn't expect people to hold hands, which we aren't supposed to do anyway, it never would have happened!"

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering veiling for mass and skirt wearing full-time. My DH said he wouldn't have a problem with it. It's not that I don't think a woman cannot be conservative in pants or capris, it would just be so much simpler for me to buy clothes that I would feel comfortable wearing anywhere. I wouldn't need a separate wardrobe for church, errands, around the home, family get-togethers, etc. I could just wear a skirt and blouse. Of course during the summer, I would probably wear culottes under my skirts, and tights and boots during the winter. But I would save a ton on clothes with this transition. I would also feel more feminine. I would do whatever feels like God is calling me to do.

I wouldn't make this a requirement for my daughters, but my five year old prefers skirts and dresses to shorts and pants. She's very girly. She wants a mantilla to match mine, as well. I think many of our daughters will adapt to what we do anyway.

Edited by Lady Dove

I am considering veiling for mass and skirt wearing full-time. My DH said he wouldn't have a problem with it. It's not that I don't think a woman cannot be conservative in pants or capris, it would just be so much simpler for me to buy clothes that I would feel comfortable wearing anywhere. I wouldn't need a separate wardrobe for church, errands, around the home, family get-togethers, etc. I could just wear a skirt and blouse. Of course during the summer, I would probably wear culottes under my skirts, and tights and boots during the winter. But I would save a ton on clothes with this transition. I would also feel more feminine.

I have worn a skirt (usually mid-calf or longer, pretty full cut) full-time for 20 or so years, not because of religious reasons but because I am more comfortable that way and look better in skirts than in pants because of my body shape. It really has not been a problem. I find that split half-slips (also called pettipants) make skirts more comfortable for those of us with large thighs and are great for summer. Since they are above the knee, they work well with long skirts. In the winter, I sometimes wear leggings underneath for warmth (I like them better than tights). I have kept a pair of jeans to wear for really grubby activities, but rarely need them--usually I end up wearing an old skirt for painting, gardening, etc.