Menu

Latin Anyone?

Are you teaching Latin? Yes

If not do you plan to? n/a :001_smile:

What age did your child start, or will they start? dd11 started 2 yrs ago, dd9 started last year, and ds5 started this year.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? dd11 is using Latin for Children; dd9 and ds5 are having fun with Song School Latin.

I am teaching ds Latin and plan to start the dd's when they are old enough. (DD age 5 has already learned alot by listening in on ds's lessons and we *may* start her halfway through next year.)

We used Prima Latina, followed by Latina Christiana. Next year we'll finish LCI and move on to LCII. We don't use the DVDs and I haven't felt like I needed them so far. I am not sure where I'll go after that--either First Form or straight to Henle I. Lots of folks consider the PL/LC texts dull, but we really like the smooth, gentle and incremental lessons. They are easy to plan and we had fun. I almost jumped ship to LfC this year, but came to my senses--why mess with what works? I plan to use the same things with each dc, as long as we don't encounter serious issues.

What age did your child start, or will they start? We began in 3rd grade, when dd was 8 yo.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? We used Prima Latina this year and plan on using Latin Christiana 1 next year.

Do you like it? I think it's a bit dry, but my dd absolutely loves it. We don't use the DVD's, just the books and the CD. It's very easy to teach, so that's a plus for me.

Are you teaching Latin? Yes.

If not do you plan to? I plan to.

What age did your child start, or will they start? My oldest will be 8 and in third grade.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? I plan to use Little Latin Readers Primer A. I've gone through the book, workbook and pronunciation CD and it seems like a fantastic program! I can't wait to start with it.

Are you teaching Latin? Not Yet

If not do you plan to? Yes, at least for a couple of years

What age did your child start, or will they start? My oldest will be 8 this fall, we may start this year or we may wait.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? We've used songschool Greek and like it, so I'm inclined to try songschool Latin followed by Latin for Children

Are you teaching Latin?- I have and I plan on starting up again this coming school year

If not do you plan to? N/A

What age did your child start, or will they start?- My oldest started PL in 6th grade. Late, I know but it works because I used it with my 4th grader as well. I plan on starting it up again because my oldest will be back home and my youngest will be too.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? I- I've used Prima Latina. I have LC I here and plan on pulling it out and starting it lightly again in the summer. I have the DVD's. Can't teach without them. I then plan on using LCII , then going to First Form. With my youngest she loves "Monkey Songs" A.K.A Song School Latin. We just sing the songs and play with it. I may break out the workbook this year, but not 100% sure on that yet as she'll only be 5 in August.

My ds started Latin this year during 2nd grade. He did Latin's Not so Tough level 2, and some of Song School Latin. This coming year I will be doing Latin For Children A with him, and Song School Latin with my dd, and who ever wants to join in.

What age did your child start, or will they start? My older kids have started in 4th grade and that is when I plan to start my younger ones as well.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? I start my kids off with Latin for Children, followed by So You Really Want to Learn Latin and then Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Compostion. I'm not sure what I'll use after that.

Do you like it?I really like all our curricula! LfC is a great way to start of studying Latin. It has fun activity books, history readers, and the primers are excellent. I also love that it includes both ecclesiastical and classical pronunciation. SYRWTLL has been a great next step. The books are quite rigourous and have a nice variety of exercises. There is also a bit of humour thrown in which my kids have liked. BALPC is quite a challenging text, but well worth the effort for advanced Latin studies. I've been using it alongside DD 14 and have learnt so much.

Edited by Aquinas Academy
Weird formating

Are you teaching Latin? Yes.

What age did your child start, or will they start? We started in first grade.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? We started with Song School Latin to see how well the language went down. He loved that, so this year we went with Minimus and took it easy. He likes it, but we haven't finished it. He loves it so much he wants to work on it over the summer. :)

What age did your child start, or will they start? DD #1 was very eager to get started, so she started just before she turned 8 - after reading was somewhat well established.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? We are using Prima Latina, then on to LCI, then on to First Form I. It is a bit dry, we use the DVDs which are nice, it is super-duper easy to teach, she's having great retention, and she always makes sure to tell the relatives who ask about school, "I'm learning LATIN!" She is so proud :). And the relatives are impressed - LOL!

If not do you plan to? N/A

What age did your child start, or will they start? age 6 (1st grade) and age 8 (3rd grade), with our 5 yr. old and 3 yr. old listening in

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? Prima Latina, yes, we like it a lot. It gets the job done. We have the DVDs as well as the teacher and student texts, which helps this mama who knows NO Latin! :)

Are you teaching Latin? Not yet, will start in September.

If not do you plan to? Yes, in September

What age did your child start, or will they start? My daughter is 7 and will be starting 2nd grade.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? I just ordered Prima Latina. We got the complete set w/ DVDs. Can't say if I like it yet but I have high hopes that it will be wonderful.

What age did your child start, or will they start? This year, 2nd grade

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? We are using Lively Latin, Book One. I really like it. It was one of the biggest hits of the year for us. Latin is one of ds's favorite subjects. I picked LL because I had heard it had a lot of history and ds loves history. It is in fact one of his favorite parts of the program, but if you had a kid who didn't like history you could skip those parts. I have found it very easy to teach not having had any Latin myself. I feel like we are learning together. The only con is that it is expensive, but when you look at the price remember it's meant to take two years. We will continue in Book One next year and I plan on continuing with Book Two after that.

Are you teaching Latin? Not yet.

If not do you plan to? Yes.

What age did your child start, or will they start? My oldest is a struggling reader (probably dyslexic) and I am going to wait until she can read fluently before beginning Latin. She is 9 now. I hope to begin Latin by the time she is 10.

What curriculum do you use, or plan to use? Do you like it? Right now I have my eye on Lively Latin.

• 1 month later...

Yep--just started this past year, when the boys were finishing up 4th & 5th grades. We did a crash course in Latin for Children Primer A, and worked on Primer B throughout the school year. They'll be in Primer C in the fall, and I'll be teaching Primer A at our co-op. ;)