Menu

Anyone who knows anything about gynecology and women's health issues...

Fair warning: this is one of those TMI threads. But I have been googling and not finding the answers I'm looking for, so I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've always had longer and heavier periods than most women, but as I've aged (I'm 37) it has gradually gotten worse. For awhile, I was really able to get it under control by limiting my carbohydrate intake and taking cod liver oil (for Vitamin A). This made a tremendous difference for several years, then it got worse despite the fact that I was still doing those things.

I went to my doctor then (2008) and she tested my thyroid and pituitary hormones, ordered an ultrasound, and didn't find anything wrong except for a slight abnormality in the muscle wall of the uterus. She said this was common in women who have fibroid tumors, but I don't actually have any tumors. I can't take standard BCP's because they give me migraines, so she recommended that I try the mini-pill, because the progesterone thins the uterine lining.

So I did. And this seemed to really help. For awhile. And now, here we go again!

The last four or five cycles I had on this pill were like I was not taking it. Bleeding so heavy that I was having a horrible, embarrassing incident in public once every period. :crying: I went off the pill for other reasons (found out that I shouldn't be depending on it for contraception, because it carries a higher risk of being abortifacient than standard BCP's, so that makes it not an option for me).

I saw my doctor again, because I wanted to talk to her about scheduling an endometrial ablation. She says I am too young for this procedure, because the tissue would just grow back in a few years, and she would prefer to wait until I am closer to menopause. She ordered another ultrasound to see if the abnormality in the uterine wall has gotten worse. I still don't have any fibroids (at least not ones that she could detect from the physical exam) and I got the clear impression that she is concerned it might be something more serious but was trying not to worry me. Didn't work! :lol: But since my dd was in this consultation with me (not during the exam, just the consultation) I didn't want to ask further questions and risk freaking out my very sensitive and worrisome daughter. The ultrasound has to be timed just right with regards to my period, and I had an appointment scheduled, and of course this was the one time in a million when my period was late. So now I have to wait until next month and try again. Meanwhile, I went to bed last night with a super size tampon *and* a pad, and woke up at 2am in a puddle of blood. :( I can't leave my house today because I need access to a bathroom every hour. It is very frustrating to say the least! And now I have to wait another month before I *might* get any answers (or I might again get "there is no physical explanation for why this is happening to you" which I think might be worse!)

I have no pain/cramping with most of my periods, just incredible amounts of blood. When I do cramp, it is very mild and lasts only a day. I do seem to be producing an increasing amount of increasingly large clots, though, so that seems odd. I'm not finding any information online about heavy bleeding that isn't accompanied by pain. Am I that unusual? :confused: Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, or can you magically send me some patience to get through the next month???

I have nothing of value to add except that maybe a second opinion is in order.

Yes, I will definitely consider that, but I think I will wait and see if this ultrasound shows anything new/different. Thanks.

:grouphug: I can't offer much in the way of OB advice, but I also have heavy periods. I know this sounds a bit over the top, but I quit using store bought pads/tampons. I use either folded washcloths in my panties during the day or a folded handtowel in "bike shorts" at night. There is something freeing energetically to just not worry about my flow. Everyone I tell gets completely grossed out by this, but it works for me! Good luck and hang in there.

Peace,

Rene

:grouphug: I can't offer much in the way of OB advice, but I also have heavy periods. I know this sounds a bit over the top, but I quit using store bought pads/tampons. I use either folded washcloths in my panties during the day or a folded handtowel in "bike shorts" at night. There is something freeing energetically to just not worry about my flow. Everyone I tell gets completely grossed out by this, but it works for me! Good luck and hang in there.

Peace,

Rene

I'm not grossed out at all! :) I use cloth pads when I am at home and able to. I use tampons and disposable pads when I'm not. I often have to use BOTH tampons and pads to prevent disasters. What's really frustrating is when even that doesn't work!

A second opinion is definitely in order. I would also see an endocrinologist. This is not a person who is responsive to patients and I would not tolerate it for one more minute.

I think if you want an ablation, you should have one. I agree with Chucki and elizabeth that you should seek a second opinion.

Oh, now I fear I have given a very bad impression of her. I think she's a good doctor, and she just doesn't want me to be disappointed with the ablation if it stops working in a couple of years (after going through a considerable amount of risk and expense to have it). She is very kind and concerned. But she's also pretty young, and probably doesn't have a tremendous amount of experience. So I'm definitely open to the idea of a second opinion.

No advice, just :grouphug:

That is actually deeply appreciated! I am very emotional about all of this so even a cyber-hug is making me tear up!!!

Just wanted to throw in that if you are overweight it can make your periods a lot worse. I'm losing weight and exercising a lot and it's helping mine a ton (and I've had those "incidents" that you speak of).

I agree with a second opinion.

No, I'm somewhat on the slender side of the spectrum, but the exercise is a very good point. I know some women who are fanatical about exercise and don't even have periods because of it. I don't know if I could ever exercise THAT much because it is not my passion, but I could manage to get my lazy bum off the couch a little more often. :D Thanks for mentioning this.

There are lots of possible causes, and you need more of a workup. If you want to research it, the technical term for heavy bleeding is menorrhagia.

I'd also recommend a second opinion.

Thanks! All my research has turned up so far has been talking about heavy bleeding accompanied by pain, but I will keep looking. I appreciate the help. Maybe using a more proper search term will help.

I am really crazy heavy for two days and then it's done. And yes, the clots have gotten worse as I age. Fish Oil supplements seem to help me-though, not Cod Liver Oil specifically. Otherwise I take an advil if I need and just spend those two days resting. Meaning, I don't stop all activity, I just slow down and give my body the rest it needs. I've found that for me, the more I work, get into physical activity, the worse it gets and the longer it stays around. But you may be totally different.

I agree on getting a second opinion, but as for the ablation, I have mixed feelings about those. One Dr, I prefer to call him a wood butcher-was seemingly giving every woman in my county one, and for the slightest one time problem, told me I needed one (I had a vagal reflex? I passed a clot and passed out on my bathroom floor. Never happened again). Many (almost all) of my girlfriends have had them and many still have problems.

Ahhh I forgot, another thing I do is take a baby aspirin every day the week before.

If I were to get one, I would be *extremely* selective about the Dr who did the procedure, but if you could, I would hold it off it all possible.

This pretty much describes the situation I was in, except that I rarely had to deal with heavy periods once I was into adulthood. When I hit perimenopause all hell broke loose. Low dose pills helped for awhile, but not for long. Continual doses of higher level pills helped, but eventually I was back where I started. Had two D&C's somewhere in there which turned up a few fibroids so that helped ease things, but only for a bit. Had a uterine ablation which stopped things for a whopping total of weeks, but then it returned with a vengeance (as in it took a few days of double doses of BCPs to stop it). I kept worrying something else was wrong but the pathology on my hysterectomy was all good.

Good luck finding something that helps. Obviously I wish I would have done the hysterectomy earlier instead of dealing with it for years. I feel loads better now thanks to good sleep and good iron levels.

While I wait to hear from my son's jazz teacher, I'll tell you what my Christiane Northrup book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom says.

Heavy bleeding can be caused by fibroids, endometriosis, or adenomyosis -- when the glands that normally grow in only the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) grow deeply into the walls of the uterus. Adenomyosis is often present with fibroids and/or endometriosis but not always. Pain is not always present, either. The bleeding goes into the uterine wall with each period, engorging it, making it spongy, and then the uterine muscles cannot contract normally to decrease the bleeding. Thus, the heavy bleeding at times. Diagnosis is made with an MRI or biopsy of the uterine wall. (I am betting this is what you might have.)

To treat, Northrup recommends trying synthetic progestin. Natural can also be used. Dosage depends on severity.

She also recommends endometrial ablation (specifically Novasure) and says that it helps in more than 85% of the cases. However, you must be carefully screened because not all women respond well to it.

Rarely, menorrhagia is associated with a thyroid problem, and then some bleed heavily for no known reason except for 2nd chakra issues which Northrup discusses a little in her book.

Sorry for the rambling. Hope you find something to help you soon. Good luck!

I have similar issues, but I was spotting all during the month too. I went for two YEARS with this issue getting worse and changing all the time in one way or another. I had ultrasounds, biopsies, saline ultrasounds, blood tests, you name it. Nothing ever came up. My lining was always really thick, but the biopsy showed no cancer or pre-cancer and it did always shed during my cycle. I now have a Mirena IUD and it has helped tremendously with the amount of flow. I went from using a super tampon/pad and still "gushing" and leaking to now using a lite days tampon and being able to wear it for 3 hours on my heaviest day without leaking!! I still spot a bit during the month, but it has helped that too.

For the ultrasound, are they trying to catch the lining at its thickest (just before your period) or just after you have had your period (so lining at its thinnest)?

This pretty much describes the situation I was in, except that I rarely had to deal with heavy periods once I was into adulthood. When I hit perimenopause all hell broke loose. Low dose pills helped for awhile, but not for long. Continual doses of higher level pills helped, but eventually I was back where I started. Had two D&C's somewhere in there which turned up a few fibroids so that helped ease things, but only for a bit. Had a uterine ablation which stopped things for a whopping total of weeks, but then it returned with a vengeance (as in it took a few days of double doses of BCPs to stop it). I kept worrying something else was wrong but the pathology on my hysterectomy was all good.

Good luck finding something that helps. Obviously I wish I would have done the hysterectomy earlier instead of dealing with it for years. I feel loads better now thanks to good sleep and good iron levels.

Thanks for the thoughts, and I am sorry you had to go through all of that! :grouphug: I am a little surprised that they actually performed a hysterectomy on you without having an explanation (and therefore "justification") for doing so. Did you finally give up and just ask for one? Or is that what your doctor advised? The way I'm feeling today, a hysterectomy doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

I agree on getting a second opinion, but as for the ablation, I have mixed feelings about those. One Dr, I prefer to call him a wood butcher-was seemingly giving every woman in my county one, and for the slightest one time problem, told me I needed one (I had a vagal reflex? I passed a clot and passed out on my bathroom floor. Never happened again). Many (almost all) of my girlfriends have had them and many still have problems.

Yes, that's a concern and I think that was my doctor's concern for me as well. My mom had one and loved it, but it was shortly before she was due for menopause, so a different situation.

Ahhh I forgot, another thing I do is take a baby aspirin every day the week before.

I never thought of good old-fashioned aspirin! I was advised by a previous doc to take ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

Has anyone thought of endometriosis? Causes heavy bleeding and not necessarily cramping or pain. I had no pain at all.

Lucky you!

I had worse pain with my endometriosis that I did during childbirth. If it ever comes back I'm having everything taken out.

I have similar issues, but I was spotting all during the month too. I went for two YEARS with this issue getting worse and changing all the time in one way or another. I had ultrasounds, biopsies, saline ultrasounds, blood tests, you name it. Nothing ever came up. My lining was always really thick, but the biopsy showed no cancer or pre-cancer and it did always shed during my cycle. I now have a Mirena IUD and it has helped tremendously with the amount of flow. I went from using a super tampon/pad and still "gushing" and leaking to now using a lite days tampon and being able to wear it for 3 hours on my heaviest day without leaking!! I still spot a bit during the month, but it has helped that too.

This was one of the potential treatments my doc recommended, so I am considering it. But she said let's wait for the ultrasound results. And I have to discuss it with hubby because insurance won't pay for it and it's $1200! Ouch. Anyway, glad to hear that you've had a good experience with it!

For the ultrasound, .... just after you have had your period (so lining at its thinnest)?

This one.

Hi, i know how you feel:crying:, I cant leave the house for three days every three weeks. Without being to graphic, sometimes i have to sit for an hour on the loo, as it's just no use leaving! Also all the blood loss leaves you feeling weak and dazed and sickly! Anyway, i had all the tests and a scan recently, and there was nothing sinister going on!:001_smile: My gynae said, my body is over preparing the endometrial lining every month for a possible egg implantation. It is quite common in women after having kids. Looking back on my nursing training this tends to make sense. He also said if im finished having babies, I can have ablation with has a slight risk of monthly spotting and development of scar tissue. I can also have a vaginal hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries intact. My choice. Im 37 and am thinking which route to go, and trying to work out when my husband who has to travel a lot for work, will be home long enough to help with the two boys. This is difficult, so I might try the ablation first as the recovery is a day or two.

I'd definately have all the tests possible to rule out any nasties first. Good luck, i'll be thinking of you!:grouphug:

Has anyone thought of endometriosis? Causes heavy bleeding and not necessarily cramping or pain. I had no pain at all.

Wow! No, we haven't talked about that. I always thought it was extremely painful, so didn't think that was a possibility with what's going on with me. Interesting! I will have to ask her.

While I wait to hear from my son's jazz teacher, I'll tell you what my Christiane Northrup book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom says.

Heavy bleeding can be caused by fibroids, endometriosis, or adenomyosis -- when the glands that normally grow in only the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) grow deeply into the walls of the uterus. Adenomyosis is often present with fibroids and/or endometriosis but not always. Pain is not always present, either. The bleeding goes into the uterine wall with each period, engorging it, making it spongy, and then the uterine muscles cannot contract normally to decrease the bleeding. Thus, the heavy bleeding at times. Diagnosis is made with an MRI or biopsy of the uterine wall. (I am betting this is what you might have.)

To treat, Northrup recommends trying synthetic progestin. Natural can also be used. Dosage depends on severity.

She also recommends endometrial ablation (specifically Novasure) and says that it helps in more than 85% of the cases. However, you must be carefully screened because not all women respond well to it.

Rarely, menorrhagia is associated with a thyroid problem, and then some bleed heavily for no known reason except for 2nd chakra issues which Northrup discusses a little in her book.

Sorry for the rambling. Hope you find something to help you soon. Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this! Very interesting. And it helps so much just to know that yes there probably is a real medical explanation for this, and not just something unexplainable that I'm going to have to live with!

So sorry to read you are going through this. My periods have been unbelievably heavy for the past 5 years, however I'm in my early 50s. No idea what you should do, but I want to share what helped me get through this:

-Stay home the first three days

-Take ibuprofen around the clock (google why this helps)

-Two super-plus tampons and a night-time extra large pad

-Drink a big glass of water before going to bed and every time you wake drink another big glass. You'll be up every 2-3 hours, but no puddles.

Best wishes for finding a better solution.

-Iron tablets every day. Higher iron levels reduce bleeding a little bit.

I would get a second opinion, as well.

I have had very heavy bleeding without much pain/cramping. It was due to a uterine polyp. It was treated with high doses of progesterone, which had bad side effects, but the treatment was temporary so I dealt with it. My last ultrasound showed that the polyp was apparently gone - so it appears that the treatment worked. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. I will see how things go for the next few months and if there is not a significant improvement, I will schedule an ablation. I am 44, done having babies and have a dh with a vasectomy so birth control is not an issue. I was bleeding so heavy that my iron was low, and I was having physical symptoms due to this.

ETA - I have never had fibroids or endometriosis. My uterus and ovaries seem to be in fine shape for a lady my age. I had my last baby at almost 39 and never experienced any infertility issues.

Edited by texasmama

-Drink a big glass of water before going to bed and every time you wake drink another big glass. You'll be up every 2-3 hours, but no puddles.

:D I sleep very soundly because I have to take benadryl for my allergies. But if I did that then, yes, my bladder would wake me up! I could not believe I slept through the making of that horrible mess. :mad:

Thanks for your other advice and your well wishes too. :001_smile: I'm sorry that you are dealing with the same thing.

I will see how things go for the next few months and if there is not a significant improvement, I will schedule an ablation.

:grouphug: Good luck. I hope that you continue to be well. Thanks for sharing your story.

They can do a vaginal hysterectomy these days, my sister had it done 2 years ago here in SA, and she had no cut and was fully recovered after 2/3 weeks. Two years on she says it was the best thing she ever did! Goodbye periods - hello white water rafting any day of the month!!:001_smile:

I'm for trying herbal remedies and have had great success using chaste tree/ also known as vitex for heavy periods. This has worked for both my mom, sister, an aunt and me. I will take up to 6 a day on a heavy day and by the next day bleeding is way down.

It naturally balances your hormones. I would also look into red raspberry leaf, capsules or tea.

I feel like a broken record. I think I've posted it three times on here. But it has brought such a change and relief for me I'm willing to go on some nerves.

I'm for trying herbal remedies and have had great success using chaste tree/ also known as vitex for heavy periods. This has worked for both my mom, sister, an aunt and me. I will take up to 6 a day on a heavy day and by the next day bleeding is way down.

It naturally balances your hormones. I would also look into red raspberry leaf, capsules or tea.

I feel like a broken record. I think I've posted it three times on here. But it has brought such a change and relief for me I'm willing to go on some nerves.

Well, this is the first time I've seen it, so I'm glad you posted again. :001_smile: I've tried red raspberry with no success, but I've never tried vitex. Thanks.

They can do a vaginal hysterectomy these days, my sister had it done 2 years ago here in SA, and she had no cut and was fully recovered after 2/3 weeks. Two years on she says it was the best thing she ever did! Goodbye periods - hello white water rafting any day of the month!!:001_smile:

Sounds pretty nice. :) I'm glad your sister is doing well!

I wanted to share a few things. First, with all that heavy bleeding I hope that you have had a full iron panel workup. Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, MCH, RDW-CV, Serum Iron, Serum Ferritin, TIBC, and Sat levels. HGB is not a good tool for DX iron def. anemia. If you have been bleeding this heavy, your iron stores can be very low(Mine were and I needed IV Iron). If you are anemic, you bleed even more. Kind of a catch 22. I tried the IUD and it was horrible for me.

I would not advise baby aspirin at all. That thins your blood and makes the bleeding worse.

I actually tried the Diva cup to see if I was a haeavy bleeder. And as far as I am concerned I am not. In the 5 days I had my period I bled a total of 3 1/2 oz. I don't think that is extrememly heavy at all. My issues were not eating right, and never taking iron.

I had a full GYN workup and all was fine.

I would be very hesitant about an endo ablation. Although I have heard some postive stories on here, the people I have spoken to IRL have had a lot of trouble, more then before they had it. Pain, more bleeding, and ended up with a hysterectomy.

The IUD didn't work for me but if I were in your shoes that is the first thing I would do. It is the least invasive.

and :grouphug:

I wanted to share a few things. First, with all that heavy bleeding I hope that you have had a full iron panel workup. Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, MCH, RDW-CV, Serum Iron, Serum Ferritin, TIBC, and Sat levels. HGB is not a good tool for DX iron def. anemia. If you have been bleeding this heavy, your iron stores can be very low(Mine were and I needed IV Iron). If you are anemic, you bleed even more. Kind of a catch 22.

Yes, I've been tested and tested and tested for anemia, and also for hemochromatosis because my Dad has it. I can't say for sure that they've tested ALL of the things you listed, but I know they have done several of them, and more than once. Hemochromatosis causes my Dad to absorb ten times the amount of iron from his food that most people do. I didn't inherit the disease, but sometimes I wonder if I did get a stronger-than-usual ability to absorb iron, because my doctors can't believe I'm not anemic given how much I bleed! On the other hand, I wonder if my decades of heavy bleeding have hidden the fact that I actually do have hemochromatosis, but I'm not symptomatic yet. (The treatment is phlebotomy, and now my Dad's iron levels are normal again. It's kind of like I've been having a phlebotomy every month for most of my adult life! So maybe I have the disease and they just don't know it. Who knows!)

I tried the IUD and it was horrible for me.

I would not advise baby aspirin at all. That thins your blood and makes the bleeding worse.

I actually tried the Diva cup to see if I was a haeavy bleeder. And as far as I am concerned I am not. In the 5 days I had my period I bled a total of 3 1/2 oz. I don't think that is extrememly heavy at all. My issues were not eating right, and never taking iron.

I had a full GYN workup and all was fine.

I would be very hesitant about an endo ablation. Although I have heard some postive stories on here, the people I have spoken to IRL have had a lot of trouble, more then before they had it. Pain, more bleeding, and ended up with a hysterectomy.

The IUD didn't work for me but if I were in your shoes that is the first thing I would do. It is the least invasive.

and :grouphug:

Thanks for all the advice and the bolded part especially is a good point. (And a special thanks for the :grouphug:. :001_smile: )

I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought I'd respond because it's a very timely post for me.

My periods are very similar to yours (have had to cancel a business trip because I couldn't get on a plane), and I had the same experience with several different oral contraceptives; meaning, they seem to work for a while and then not. We've tried at least a half dozen brands and types.

I also have no history of fibroids.

Had an appointment with my gynecologist just yesterday. We're trying one last type of BCP (because I need it for contraception anyway). I inquired about ablation and, like your doctor, told me that the failure rate is much higher when you're closer to 40 than 50 (I'm 39) and he just doesn't recommend it at this age.

I asked him about hysterectomy (uterine only....I want my ovaries) and he said that given my history he'd certainly consider it an option at this point. I'm going in for another ultrasound and biopsy in 2 weeks and then, once he gets the results, we'll discuss options. He always encourages his patients to consider and try all possible medical and pharmaceutical methods of intervention before anything surgical, but given that this has been going on for years and seems to be getting worse, I'm seriously considering this option.

As far as I'm concerned, my uterus has outlived its useful years and I'm sick of having my quality of life so severely disrupted month after month. That, combined with several years in a row of "questionable" pap smears, tells me it's time to suck it up and get the thing out.

I completely understand and share your frustration! I hope you find some relief somewhere, somehow. And that I do, too.

As far as I'm concerned, my uterus has outlived its useful years and I'm sick of having my quality of life so severely disrupted month after month.

This is exactly how I am feeling right now. Crying, begging, and pleading (quite literally) has not changed my husband's mind about having another child. And praying hasn't resulted in any "accidents" either. So I've given up, and I'm ready to be done with all of this.

I completely understand and share your frustration! I hope you find some relief somewhere, somehow. And that I do, too.

I hope you do, too! If you feel like keeping me informed, I would be grateful to know how things go for you. :grouphug:

Get a second opinion and read up on the Novasure procedure. I don't recall there being an age restriction on this procedure. I had it in January and I'm not that much older than you and certainly not close to menopause.

And, I feel your pain. The monthly "faucet" can be...draining. (ok, pun not really intended, but it just fit!).

I hope you can find some relief. :grouphug:

Get a second opinion and read up on the Novasure procedure. I don't recall there being an age restriction on this procedure. I had it in January and I'm not that much older than you and certainly not close to menopause.

And, I feel your pain. The monthly "faucet" can be...draining. (ok, pun not really intended, but it just fit!).

I hope you can find some relief. :grouphug:

Thank you :grouphug:

It is surprising that you bleed so heavily and are not anemic. That would make me think you could have hemochromatosis. Have you been tested genetically for hereditary hemochromatosis (HH)? I believe you can get it done anonymously. I think one of the HH websites has info about that.

It is surprising that you bleed so heavily and are not anemic. That would make me think you could have hemochromatosis. Have you been tested genetically for hereditary hemochromatosis (HH)? I believe you can get it done anonymously. I think one of the HH websites has info about that.

No, my family doc (not my OB/GYN) only tested ferritin and a few other things, but not the genetic test. The gene test is only considered warranted if the initial screening looks suspicious. :rolleyes: My Dad did mention a website that does the genetic testing, because my brothers are both completely anti-doctor and never go, and so he was trying to encourage them to get tested any way that they would. I will ask him which one it was.

No advice or experience to share, but :grouphug::grouphug:. Dealing with this every month must really suck.

Thank you! :grouphug: I know I should handle it with more grace. I know that it could be much, much worse. I'm not in pain. This is nothing life-threatening or even health-threatening as far as I know (though I sure would like to know for sure!). So every month I think "okay, I can handle this" and then when I have an 'accident' despite all my efforts at prevention, I completely lose it and have a meltdown. A big ole crying, cussing fit. I'm so mature. Such a good role model for my dd. :lol:

Nope, don't worry about that part. Sometimes things just suck, even if other things would suck worse. :D

:iagree: This is a quality of life issue (for you and for me). For me, this makes it harder to pursue a course of action. I am fairly anti-intervention medically if at all possible. I don't want a hysterectomy (nor do I think I need one), and, like you, I refuse the birth control pills and the IUDs because of the hormones. I have migraines, as well.

Month after month, I tell myself that I can just deal with it, taking my iron supplement, emptying my Divacup all the time. I'm tired of just dealing with it. I hope the latest treatment helps me. If not, I think I might just be at a point at which I am willing to do the ablation. I am a good candidate. I have already met my insurance deductible. I am tired of living like this. I completely understand where you are coming from.:grouphug:

Thanks for the thoughts, and I am sorry you had to go through all of that! :grouphug: I am a little surprised that they actually performed a hysterectomy on you without having an explanation (and therefore "justification") for doing so. Did you finally give up and just ask for one? Or is that what your doctor advised? The way I'm feeling today, a hysterectomy doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

The heavy bleeding that wouldn't stop on its own and couldn't stop was justification alone. (No woman should have more days of bleeding than non-bleeding every month.) There were days I couldn't leave the house because I needed the bathroom every 20 minutes. Even with taking iron I was severely anemic by the time I had the surgery, so much so the they were prepped to do a blood transfusion in case I needed it during surgery.

If you don't mind me jumping in.....I like herbal remedies as well.

I heard years ago that Yarrow Tea is helpful for reducing flow. I do not suffer with it but I put it in my memory for just such an occassion. :tongue_smilie:

It tastes very bad....I will not ever forget that, but if you are willing to try anything you should google it and think about trying it out. I get my Yarrow from Azure Standard and it is very potent.

Good luck!!! Sounds very frustrating!