Menu

What would you think of if someone were to say to you...

"[insert name here] has not been well lately."

What comes to mind? I'm trying to figure out the subtleties of the English language and am wondering how others would interpret such a statement.

Would you immediately think that person has been sick with something like a cold or flu or would the wording make you think of something more like a flare up of chronic illness or perhaps even something less obvious- like a bout of depression or anxiety or something similar?

It could mean any of those things. If someone said that to me and left it at that, I would assume they didn't want to tell me the details. I would guess what it was based on what I know of that person. I would assume a physical illness-not accident or injury related- unless I knew the person had a serious past issue with mental illness.

I would assume health-related. Mental or physical.

I would assume that it's a flare up of whatever plagues that person whether it's arthritis, lupus, cancer, depression, drug addiction or whatever. Usually when someone is "not well lately" it's a chronic thing and usually something that won't get better (exception would be something like morning sickness or a treatable condition).

I would think that it could mean just about anything - cold, flu, chronic illness, depression - but not really injury-related. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion about which of those things was intended unless I knew that the person had a history of some particular illness. Then I would assume that it was a flare up of something they had been dealing with.

I would think that it could mean just about anything - cold, flu, chronic illness, depression - but not really injury-related. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion about which of those things was intended unless I knew that the person had a history of some particular illness. Then I would assume that it was a flare up of something they had been dealing with.

:iagree:

I would assume health-related. Mental or physical.

I would assume that it's a flare up of whatever plagues that person whether it's arthritis, lupus, cancer, depression, drug addiction or whatever. Usually when someone is "not well lately" it's a chronic thing and usually something that won't get better (exception would be something like morning sickness or a treatable condition).

this.

I take it rather generally. It could mean something as simple as they've been hit with every virus that has come down the pike to something more serious.

I would assume by that response though that the person sharing didn't feel they could divulge any more information. I would offer my condolences and move the conversation on to something else.

If I say it about myself, it's one of those times when I've had a couple of things come in succession, ie, a bad allergy flare up followed by bronchitis followed by digestive woes. Or my blood iron level is down so I'm super tired but also taking supplements which screw up my intestinal functions. Something that has left me felling crummy for weeks that is just complicated to explain, kwim?

I do confess though, when I hear that expressed about someone else, in vague terms with no follow up ("She's been...ill" vs "She's been ill, you know she has terrible seasonal allergies"), I do tend to think that there's an emotional component to the illness.