Menu

To co-op or not to co-op, that is the question...

I am really struggling over this one. My HS group has a co-op that meets weekly. I can definitely see some advantages for my kids socially. Academically, we enjoy our routine/schedule here and I feel like we would possibly accomplish more sticking to our norm. We school year round and most of our weeks are 4 day weeks. If every tues becomes co-op day, we will need to move to mostly 5 day weeks and my kids are whining about that...big time.

Any experiences you would like to share. If I commit, it will be for the whole year so I really want to think through this one,kwim?

My kids love co-op but they also didn't really have connections with other homeschoolers until we went to co-op.

From what you wrote it sounds like you are well connected in with other homeschoolers. So I would't do the co-op. I think they are great and offer a lot of benifit but they are not for every family. I think the big thing is for kids to have friends and times for them to interact on a regular basis.

Hmm.....our co-op experience was kind of a love/hate relationship. It started out as a wonderful experience, but became overwhelming by mid-year. My kids did love their art and science classes, and hanging out with their friends. Although, my dd really began to dread having to get up early on co-op days. :) I began to resent having to prepare for my class each week. I felt that it was robbing me of time from our own homeschool experience. Also, with exception of the art classes, co-op started to feel like being in "school", which is exactly what we didn't want for our family. We are somewhat "relaxed".

I really think it depends on what your co-op has to offer, and whether it can actually replace some of the teaching you have to do at home. It is a huge commitment, but it can be worthwhile. Our family has chosen not to continue because we enjoy the freedom of having an "extra" day to do whatever we would like to do. We are so busy during the week with other extracurricular activities that we really appreciate the downtime. HTH!

Edited by cowgirl

What, academically, are you going to be doing at co-op? For us, it will be the "meat" of our week for History, Geography, Science, Art, and (foreign) language. So, it's worth it:) For my almost 8 year old, it would be... anyway... probably... (worth it) For hs aged students, it needs to either be a GREAT addition to what you're doing... (Like Science with labs) or... filling a great desire... like... say Art. (And serious art by then :)) A whole day, for just sampling subjects... may not be worth it by then.

For us, our curriculum is basically... "Open and Go" which is what we wanted. SO, we chose SOTW with cd, activity book, and student pages for history. (and we'll do one project each time.) So, teacher prep is minimal. I've already seen what parents who have to spend hours putting together curriculum...look like :) I wanted to keep it simple, but make the subject matter. :)

Co-op has worked great for us. We've done one for dd's first 6 grades. My dd has gotten all of her best friends through co-op. I stick to elective-type courses such as art, drama, Spanish, etc. so that it remains a fun fifth day. Now that we are getting into older grades, I'm having some difficulty trying to figure out how to get all of our work done along with co-op, but dd loves it enough that I know we will continue. I also think that because she has classes one day a week, she doesn't have any interest in trying public school.

It has also been a great day off for me! I have not needed to teach classes or I wouldn't do it. I have to do some volunteer time, but I'm still left with many free days.

We like our co-op. I should say my girls love it! They have made good relationships with other kids and since we live so far out in the country, they don't have alot of other chances. However, their classes do substitute for things at home. The way it is set up is we meet once a week but each student goes home with enough lessons to last the week. Another words, in science dd10 will have a 1 hour class but will then have possibly 3 assignments to do over the week. So for the subjects that are covered there we incorporate them into our days not in addition to what we do. My girls have at co-op

History, Science, Sign Language, Art and Literature. So at home we have time for Math, Grammar, Spelling, Writing, Latin and Spanish/French.

We have been involved in classical conversations which takes up one day a week and the other 4 days we school at home, I have been known to school on Saturdays. I guess the teacher in me likes to practice spelling 4 days and test the fifth. Anyways, this spring we were involved in a co-op for 2 months. (it was a new co-op and that was all it was being offered)We liked the co-op and of course the fellowship. However, missing 2 days of our at home schooling I did not like. Now that all of that is over, I so enjoy being home. We also have the option of just participating in field trips, which I enjoy so we can fellowship but not interrupt our homeschooling on a regular basis. :)

Side bar note: We love classical conversations and will continue in the fall. It is a big part of our homeschool. The co-op we attended I will not continue, takes more time away from our being together at home.

Edited by OK Family
added opinion

I guess I can't attest to the long-term--and it really depends on you and your kids' needs. I have 3 children--but 2 of them go to PS--and only one is being homeschooled--these are their choices. So--needless to say, I find it really important for the child who is home with me all day to get that interaction once/week with his good friends--which is what they have become to him. I am arranging my own coop so I can decide the classes I think will meet our needs and the other kids in the group. We will have about 7-8 families that participate---which is big enough for me!

I am pro co-op. I see some really important growth in my kids, because of our co-op. Of course, I guess a really badly run co-op is worse than no co-op, but that doesn't sound like the problem. I would find a way to make the co-op work.

Not agreeing with this at all. Bad co-ops suffer from the same discipline, social and academic problems that public schools have and normally without support from higher ups. Then you, as a parent are left dealing with confronting the other parents and leaders. It makes for a very unpleasant and sometimes damaging experience.

Not agreeing with this at all. Bad co-ops suffer from the same discipline, social and academic problems that public schools have and normally without support from higher ups. Then you, as a parent are left dealing with confronting the other parents and leaders. It makes for a very unpleasant and sometimes damaging experience.

:confused: I don't understand what you're disagreeing with.

I think you misread her post. She said bad co-ops are *worse* than not having the option of a co-op. In other words, bad co-ops are... well... bad.

I'm pretty pro co-op myself. But the term co-op can mean SO many things. The ones we're involved in are very small, just a few families, sharing the same goals for the co-op. If you're talking about a larger, big one day a week school-like organization, then... well... eh. I'm less pro. However, if it's not a badly run co-op, then it can, if done right, open up needed social opportunities that just don't happen if you're not in the co-op. I mean, we have a lot of homeschool friends, but the kids my kids see in co-op every week honestly usually take priority for extra social time - birthday parties, playdates, let's go to the pool this afternoon, anyone want to go see this museum exhibit kind of things. But if the OP feels like the kids have those connections already, then the advantage of joining some classes at a big co-op seem lessened.

We did Co-Op this year, and won't next year. I liked everyone there, but it was too much hassle trying to figure out who does what, and when. If it was cancelled then I spent a lot of time putting together a lesson that wasn't used, and didn't tie into our own studies.

But on the other hand I am going to have an Art group twice a month for my kids, based on Meet the Masters, and if people want to join us, with their own supplies, then great, and if they don't show up, no biggie, because I am doing something I would do anyway. That way there isn't any extra planning, supplies, snacks, and bother. But I wouldn't call it a Co-op since to me Co-op means everyone taking equal responsibility for teaching and making the group work. I don't see Classical Conversations as a Co-op either. But maybe that is just me.

:confused: I don't understand what you're disagreeing with.

Apologies--Yes, I did misread what you wrote and :iagree:. Sorry, I'm blaming it on days of rainy weather and feeling like I'm half asleep all day!

We've been part of the same co-op since my oldest was preschool age. I was even on the organizing board for awhile. This year I agonized over whether we would participate next year and finally came to the conclusion that the pros still outweigh the cons. We basically school year round and 20 mornings over the course of a year isn't really that bad. Especially when all 4 kids can take classes at the same time.

It sounds like it may not work for you, if you're still wanting a day off at home, unless the day at co-op would cover a day's work in some of your core subjects. Would your kids take a science and/or history at co-op that you could work on or include as part of these subjects at home (on only 3 days)? Or, if they take enrichment/electives such as art, then maybe the co-op day could replace your day off at home.

For us, we're able to use co-op when the kids are younger, and then we find that it works best to do our core subjects outside of co-op and use it for electives such as choir and photography.

There's a funny thing about co-ops and academics -- it's easy for things to fall through the cracks because, generally, co-op teachers don't have any real authority to enforce assignments. It's easy for parents to be too hands-off, thinking the subject is being covered at co-op, and students can get by without working as hard as they should for their grade-level.

We do not do co-op. My boys' homeschool friends all do the same co-op, however, nothing I have heard has inspired me to want anything to do with it. One of the most important parts of homeschooling for me is choosing our curriculum and determining how that is implemented. If I wanted someone else to do that I would send them to public school and just supervise homework and studying. But then, I like planning, and really enjoy discussing with my teenagers the nature of the choices and how I have made them.

We belong to a medium sized, well run co op which meets on Fridays. I use the co op for classes that I am likely to neglect if left to my own devices. For next year, that will be science and Latin. It still involves work on my part at home, but it helps with the accountability and my kids get hands on science experiments. Also, they get the benefit of being taught by someone besides me and being a part of a small class (8 kids total, including mine). In addition, they do a presentation in front of the class. It will take 2 hours on Fridays next year, and we take the afternoons off. We do the co op homework during the week. It has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me and my kids.

We did a co-op this year and had a good experience. My DC loved meeting other HSed kids and I enjoyed meeting other moms. It wasn't incredibly academic, but they got to do many fun things I don't get around to. I was very tired by the time we got home, but we did usually get some school done before we left (and I often remembered to start the crockpot). Ours was very well organized, and I can see that really making a difference.

um...I don't know the answer as I'm new & just getting my feet wet. But since I struggled with this same question, I'll share the decision I made.

We selected a co-op that current friends of ours (with older children) already attend & signed up for 1 (one) class. A fun class, in our case, an animal-type study where the zoo brings in different animals each week to see, touch & learn about. (My boys are 7 & 8) Pros: It's at 1 pm one day a week, it's closer than the zoo, the same kids will be in the class every week so they can meet new people, small group, & I will be the parent volunteer each week (my volunteer hours). NOT the leader, I'm guessing crowd control or something...idk :).

This is a test to see if it is a fit for us. We couldn't do art b/c the 8 am art class would kill.the.love for sure! The fun-looking lego class filled up too early, I want to cover their bases at home, so no "academics" fit the bill.

I figure by 1:00 Thursday we'll be ready to mingle a bit. And we LOVE animals, but the zoo, not so much (well, that part of we is really just me :)).

If it turns out it's not a good fit, we'll drop it after the semester~no harm, no foul. For us, we decided it was worth it to at least give it a try!

There are other options for us to consider down the road if this is a no-go...we have a science museum, childrens museum, art museum, zoo, nature center, youth golf course, ice rinks, etc etc whom all offer homeschool classes at various times of the day/week. If you're concerned about co-op check for other resources in your area. There might be some! I hope through trial & error we will find a fit & a peer group outside of the public school.

Good luck deciding!

My kids do not consider co-op days to be school days because they have too much fun there! Our co-op meets on Wednesdays for two 12 week terms, and we school the other weekdays during term, and just take Fridays off when the co-op isn't in sesssion. I have found it to be a great way to outsource things that I am not strong in (art and music) or to supplement what my kids love (math and science). I have found it to be a convenient way to organize our extracurriculars into one day a week so that we don't have to break up other days.

Our co-op meets on Thursdays. Next year my kids will take Band, art, PE and drama. Last year one of my sons also took IEW Myths and Fables. It has been a fantastic experience. They do lunch and recess there. Here in Maryland, I have to document that we cover art, PE and music. Co-op ends up making sure I cover these necessities that might otherwise get overlooked. That way, I can focus on the "meatier" subjects.

Co-op ends with a Fine Arts open house. This year's play was A Midsummer Night's Mid-Term. The band and other music classes performed and each class had work on display. I felt like it was the best of school without the rest of school.

They spend 5 hours there. I can grocery shop alone. Totally worth it. :thumbup: