Menu

Hair color advice

You all remember a while back I tried lightening my hair? And the results were TERRIBLE? Like orange drowned cat bad?

It eventually softened up enough that, as long as it wasn't wet, I didn't look TOO much like a street-walker. :glare:

Now my roots are showing. :svengo: Bil's wedding on Fri means I need a consistent color. Dh bought another box of blonde for me...same brand as before, slightly darker shade. Very slightly.

So I was thinking if I applied it to roots only...& maybe to some of the more orange layers...maybe that would be a good idea. But I am terminally stupid w/ hair color. If I think it's a good idea, it's Darwin-award-winning.

So help. WWYD?

I figure IF I do the blonde thing, I'll do it tonight, so there's a full week (almost) for it to, erm, tame itself, before the wedding. If it should need taming.

Fwiw, my hair doesn't take color. This last disaster was the first time I've ever actually changed the color of my hair, whether I was going blonde, red, or black, temp or perm. I'm naturally dark blonde, but I had to leave the bleaching stuff on as long as someone w/ black hair would have had to leave it on. :001_huh:

I tend to figure hair grows back & live on the edge & then cry about it afterwards. Not that I do much to my hair EVER, just that when I do, I really, REALLY do. :lol:

Yes you can touch up the roots but you need a color without any golden tones in it. That's my non expert opinion. Unless you want the red thing to keep going on. I'm wouldn't put the color on the rest of the hair for as long. It should explain it in the directions. Have fun!

Yes you can touch up the roots but you need a color without any golden tones in it. That's my non expert opinion. Unless you want the red thing to keep going on. I'm wouldn't put the color on the rest of the hair for as long. It should explain it in the directions. Have fun!

:confused: Don't all blonde shades have golden tones?

You would hate to go to the wedding looking like a street walking skunk! Jk :)

But, seriously consider taking back the box, and for this one time...work with a professional!

I really couldn't afford the box, but I had a gift card to a general type store. I might could trade it for a different box tomorrow, but I can't go to a prof.

Maybe the roots don't look as bad as I think yet...?

Ask a trusted friend to evaluate your roots. I would seriously worry about doing it pre-wedding.

I could probably do that. Unfortunately, the night I bleached it, I also cut it really, really short. :001_huh: What can I say? I medicate bad days w/ chocolate & really bad days w/ self-inflicted haircuts. :lol:

My daughter who is a cosmetologist for a living says just go darker. She says more - like how terrible store products are but that is the only real solution if you have to buy a box of store color.

Edited by jcooperetc
I can never remember the vowels in that word...

Um. We need pics to evaluate.

That orange color is called brassy and you need a specifically less brassy blonde formula. At least I think so. I've never colored my hair.

Edited by Sputterduck
to change bronze to brass, thanks to the poster after me! I really know nothing about hair color. :P

My daughter who is a cosmotoligist for a living says just go darker. She says more - like how terrible store products are but that is the only real solution if you have to buy a box of store color.

:iagree: I'm not a cosmetologist but my instinct would be to go darker and I would probably also use a semi-permanent color to avoid bleaching. I think you have to really know what you are doing if you want to go lighter without getting brassy.

Can you get to a Sally Beauty Supply and get a packet of Red Gold Corrector? It is $.99. You add it to your hair color to tone down the reds/brassy tones.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Red-Gold-Corrector-Plus/ARDELL20,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-07

:iagree: I have seen your hair in person.;) The cut is very cute. You have a fun style. No worries about the cut. If your hair is in good condition (no split ends), I would go for a darker shade, maybe somewhere between the blonde and your natural color, add that package of Red Gold Corrector and do it all over.

Caveat: The last time I dyed my own hair all over, I did a terrible job and ended up damaging it pretty badly so take my advice with a grain of salt.:001_huh:

:confused: Don't all blonde shades have golden tones?

No. You want to look for a colour that says "ash." If your hair tends to pull red or orange, then you need an ash to neutralize that. After that, if you want to keep the colour looking right without going brassy (orange), you should use a toning conditioner about every 3rd wash or so. John Frieda Sheer Blonde (the purple one) is very good and relatively inexpensive.

Edited by Audrey

I would go with a light brown all over. Brown is okay to do at home. Blonde needs to be done at a salon.

:iagree:I do my own (naturally blonde) hair red (auburn-red, not red-red!). I've also done many different shades of brown. Always turn out well.

And to make you feel better... :D. My hair has been red since just after DD was born. After about, 3 years of red, I really wanted to go light blonde and pink. So.... I tried to go blonde. Uhm. I've been dying my hair since I was 11, and I swear I *knew* better... just wasn't thinking!! My hair ended up.... much like the description of yours! :lol: Very very orange, and very, very dry. I dyed it medium brown to cover up the disaster and it was so much better.

I did the exact same thing to my dd about a year ago I think. She had naturally blond hair that had gotten darker with age and she wanted to go back to the color she had when she was younger. So I tried to lighten it with a permanent color. Needless to say, it did not go well. I ended up using Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free Colors semi-permanent (level 2) in a darker shade to fix the mess-up. This is a link to the product: http://www.clairol.com/naturalinstincts/BrassFree/index.jsp It is supposed to last 28 shampoos but it seems like it lasts much longer. I have only had to re-do it twice in the last year. The color washes out very gradually and if you pick a color in between your natural color and what you have now the difference won't be dramatic but pretty natural looking instead. The colors on the website are not exactly right. Anyhow, we were originally trying to go from a darker blonde to a light blonde and she ended up orange. I covered with either a darker blonde or a light brown and it looks perfect (exactly the same as her natural hair before I turned it orange). This product has an ashy base that counteracts brassiness (orange or red tones). It is perfect for what you want to do.

No. You want to look for a colour that says "ash." If your hair tends to pull red or orange, then you need an ash to neutralize that. After that, if you want to keep the colour looking right without going brassy (orange), you should use a toning conditioner about every 3rd wash or so. John Frieda Sheer Blonde (the purple one) is very good and relatively inexpensive.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I've been coloring my own hair since I was a teen. My hair is naturally dishwater blonde but red hair runs in my family (my grandfather, my brother, and my DS are all redheads). So in order to keep my hair from going orange when I lighten it, I need to use an ash blonde shade. It comes out more golden than what's on the box because of my underlying red tones. I usually use Nice & Easy 102 (Natural Light Ash Blonde) unless something else is on sale.

I went and cut my shoulder length hair to a pixieish cut. My dh said, "you didn't have to get a high and tight for the marine corps ball!". Very bad decision. Will never do it again!

:lol: I have no advice, that just hit my funny bone this morning.

Can you get to a Sally Beauty Supply and get a packet of Red Gold Corrector? It is $.99. You add it to your hair color to tone down the reds/brassy tones.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Red-Gold-Corrector-Plus/ARDELL20,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-07

No--the brassiness has washed out now. I mean, you can still kind-of see it when it's wet, but dry, I think the color is ok now. Not as consistent as I'd like, but not horrible any more. I'm just afraid that if I try to touch-up the roots & bring things into a more consistent tone over all, I'll reintroduce the brassy thing. :001_huh:

I think I would go purple, just for the wedding. It might get out dis-invited to further family events, but you could say that is what happens when small children are kept up past their bedtime, their parents hair turns purple. :D

Yes, go ash. Anything marked "golden" will make my hair red. When I was doing my own hair I would do a darker shade all over, then go back with a lighter highlight color on certain strands later the same week. It gives it a deeper look. I used two different cheap box colors, never could afford the highlight kit.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I've been coloring my own hair since I was a teen. My hair is naturally dishwater blonde but red hair runs in my family (my grandfather, my brother, and my DS are all redheads). So in order to keep my hair from going orange when I lighten it, I need to use an ash blonde shade. It comes out more golden than what's on the box because of my underlying red tones. I usually use Nice & Easy 102 (Natural Light Ash Blonde) unless something else is on sale.

Huh. My oldest is a red head, & my hair was red until I was 1 or2. I hate the ash colors, & I *completely* believe all the pics on the box. :lol: Hmm.

I was leaning toward just leaving it alone, but now that Texasmama has said, "Well, the *cut* is fine..." I'm worried. :lol:

I was leaning toward just leaving it alone, but now that Texasmama has said, "Well, the *cut* is fine..." I'm worried. :lol:

:lol: Girl, you got roots.:lol: My roots are gray. At least yours are dark.;) You're pg - people give pg women a break on many things. Milk it for all it's worth.:D

AND the only reason I mentioned the cut is because you said that you gave yourself a bad cut. It didn't seem at all bad to me! And trust me, I have seen bad...and have done bad to myself even.:lol:

If the roots truly need a touch-up....and you only get one shot at this.....I would go back to natural with a semi-permanent color. I've had good luck with doing that. It's what I revert to when I'm tired of coloring it and want to stop for a while. Even when it's technically washed out, I think it leaves behind a hint of color that blends the highlights with the natural.

I usually pick a color that's between the highlight color and natural color, but closer to natural.

I don't know what to tell you about golden. That's what works for me, while ash leaves a grayish tint. But my coloring is blue eyes and pink cheeks and a golden-blonde childhood. I've read somewhere that looking at your childhood hair is a good hint of what will look natural for highlights.

Edited by snickelfritz

If the roots truly need a touch-up....and you only get one shot at this.....I would go back to natural with a semi-permanent color. I've had good luck with doing that. It's what I revert to when I'm tired of coloring it and want to stop for a while. Even when it's technically washed out, I think it leaves behind a hint of color that blends the highlights with the natural.

They don't make my color! And "childhood color" was pretty orange...the "red" choices...well, that could be a disaster, too.

It's weird, though--next to the colored color, my roots look *black,* but you can see my avatar--I'm naturally a dark blonde. There really shouldn't be *that* much difference between this color & natural for me. :001_huh:

If only this were a game show. I need a phone-a-friend option. (I have a friend who does this for a living in people's homes. I've known I should call her for weeks but haven't had the guts. Of course, going out in public has taken guts, too, so...?) :lol:

They don't make my color! And "childhood color" was pretty orange...the "red" choices...well, that could be a disaster, too.

It's weird, though--next to the colored color, my roots look *black,* but you can see my avatar--I'm naturally a dark blonde. There really shouldn't be *that* much difference between this color & natural for me. :001_huh:

If only this were a game show. I need a phone-a-friend option. (I have a friend who does this for a living in people's homes. I've known I should call her for weeks but haven't had the guts. Of course, going out in public has taken guts, too, so...?) :lol:

Are we ever going to see pictures? Maybe texasmama has some she could post :D. I really want to see the cut--I didn't realize that you cut it, too!

I've wondered about your hair since the original post, but figured I probably shouldn't ask for an update :tongue_smilie:.

Are we ever going to see pictures? Maybe texasmama has some she could post :D. I really want to see the cut--I didn't realize that you cut it, too!

I've wondered about your hair since the original post, but figured I probably shouldn't ask for an update :tongue_smilie:.

No. Never. And I'm in charge of family photos, so mine don't make it past the computer.

Unless Texasmama had a hidden camera, I'm good.

However. I have contacted my hairdresser friend. Perhaps after the wedding, fixed hair color (hopefully at least not worse!), lovely dress, perhaps then I will be brave enough to post a pic. Perhaps. :svengo:

ETA: Um, roots. Turns out, I'm too short to see them, & plenty short enough for everyone else to see them. I had NO idea it was this bad.

Edited by Aubrey

No. Never. And I'm in charge of family photos, so mine don't make it past the computer.

Unless Texasmama had a hidden camera, I'm good.

However. I have contacted my hairdresser friend. Perhaps after the wedding, fixed hair color (hopefully at least not worse!), lovely dress, perhaps then I will be brave enough to post a pic. Perhaps. :svengo:

ETA: Um, roots. Turns out, I'm too short to see them, & plenty short enough for everyone else to see them. I had NO idea it was this bad.

:lol: My hairdresser says "At least you are tall..." when speaking of my roots. :tongue_smilie:

No hidden cameras on me.;) It wasn't the ideal photo op when we got together so Aubrey was safe from having roots on display. I love the paint on color (temp) for roots, but I don't think they would work for dark roots with blonde hair. I use them to cover my copious gray.

I hate the ash colors, & I *completely* believe all the pics on the box.

I always avoided them too, because I'm a "warm" with tons of red and didn't want ash-colored hair. But they don't turn my hair ashy, just tone down the red, so they are now all I use.

Ok, my friend is coming over w/ supplies Wed AM. We've been saying we need to get together for a year now, so this is actually good...:lol:

Do I need to tell her what you all said about the ashy colors, or am I safe in assuming she knows that type of thing?

Do I need to tell her what you all said about the ashy colors, or am I safe in assuming she knows that type of thing?

She might come equipped with everything. But, I would warn her about what golden did to your hair. And ask her opinion about going with the ash.

So, yeah, I think you should discuss it.

It's been completely recut & recolored, by a professional. I didn't realize I was so embarrassed by the old cut & color until I looked at the new one in the mirror & started crying. LOL!

This is the 1st time I've had anything other than a cut. It feels kind-of...grown-up. And...something else. I don't know. Opulent.

It's been completely recut & recolored, by a professional. I didn't realize I was so embarrassed by the old cut & color until I looked at the new one in the mirror & started crying. LOL!

This is the 1st time I've had anything other than a cut. It feels kind-of...grown-up. And...something else. I don't know. Opulent.

Picture?

And I'm happy that you're happy!

Pics???

:lurk5:

:grouphug: Glad you feel good about it.

Picture?

And I'm happy that you're happy!

Well, I'm still in my old t-shirt & jeans for painting or hair-coloring, so maybe after the wedding. You know, only the best pics for you guys. ;)

It's REAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY light. Ds flat out said he doesn't like me in "white" hair, lol, but it was SO bad before.