Menu

I need a dress...

ETA: What do I have to wear if dh is in a tux? (And not even in the wedding!) :glare:

for bil's wedding. I'd prefer a long one, calf to ankle length, but I'm only 5'3". I'm about 4mos pg but look like I'm 9. The short, stubby legs must be disguised one way or another, so worst case scenario, I'll get something shorter & wear slacks underneath. I've got a dress like that now, & I like the look. Unfortunately, it's not maternity, & it's starting to look weird.

Something in a dark green, somewhere between emerald & turquoise would make me swoon.

BUT most of what I've seen anywhere close to that is either over $100 or some kind of jersey cotton that looks like it was meant for jogging.

I need to keep it as close to $25 as I can. (I know. Laugh.)

Edited by Aubrey

I'm pretty short, too. When I needed something fairly fancy while pregnant, I got a fancy skirt that was long and added a nice top I already owned. I got one with a stretchy waistband and was able to wear it while not pregnant later. I found it at Dress Barn, I think. Normally, I like dresses better than skirts, but this looked better while pregnant and was could be reused later.

Have you looked at Marshall's or Ross? I am not quite sure about maternity dresses, but I did see long, flowing dresses there and sometimes you can find really good deals on the clearance rack.

HTH!

Diane

I've only looked at Kohl's so far. I think they had ONE maternity dress, & their long ones...convinced me that that's what I want, but I needed to wait until closer to time, to see what surprises my shape might bring.

It's too bad, too, because I have a gc to Kohl's. :glare:

I was at Target tonight, and their Liz Lange maternity line had adorable dresses. Here's a cute maxi from the website: http://www.target.com/Lange-Target-Maternity-Tie-Dye-Sleeveless/dp/B004J3OJQK/ref=br_1_2?ie=UTF8&id=Lange%20Target%20Maternity%20Tie-Dye%20Sleeveless&node=1293427011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=1&sr=1-2&qid=1305345636&rh=&searchBinNameList=style_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

They have 99 maternity dresses online, and most are $35 or less. Have fun--this is a great time for maternity styles. They don't look much different from non-maternity!

I was at Target tonight, and their Liz Lange maternity line had adorable dresses. Here's a cute maxi from the website: http://www.target.com/Lange-Target-Maternity-Tie-Dye-Sleeveless/dp/B004J3OJQK/ref=br_1_2?ie=UTF8&id=Lange%20Target%20Maternity%20Tie-Dye%20Sleeveless&node=1293427011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=1&sr=1-2&qid=1305345636&rh=&searchBinNameList=style_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

They have 99 maternity dresses online, and most are $35 or less. Have fun--this is a great time for maternity styles. They don't look much different from non-maternity!

I agree--I like what I've seen of Target's selection online, but I don't think I'd ever buy a dress, *esp* maternity online. (There's not time now anyway.) I plan to go to Target tomorrow, but...I don't think I've seen the same selection in the store as online. *Crossing my fingers.*

Aubrey,

What size are you when you aren't pg? You can PM me if you like. :001_smile:

And when is the wedding?

I don't know...I'd gained quite a bit of wt before the baby. Then I stopped eating wheat/dairy/sugar/coffee/etc & lost some wt, but not as much as I hoped. Why? Turns out I was pg. :lol:

The wedding is Friday.

There's also a maternity/kid resale place near Target. I've only been in there once, but it seems like they had pretty maternity clothes.

I'd go to Ross or TJ Max and get a maxidress in a larger size (regular size, not maternity). They have a great selection at a low price.

I have several maxi dresses and you could borrow one...but I'm 5'10" so you'd have to wear some killer heels to pull off wearing anything that is a maxidress on me.:lol: I'd also hit resale shops.

If you go to a thrift store, you might have more luck, there are usually a lot of dresses and skirts there.

I still think a very nice long skirt with a nice top along these lines could work:

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/ruffle-front-charmeuse-top/100828052/101

(And, dressbarn does not seem to have the skirts they had when I was looking.)

If you are 5'3" a maxi dress will be way too long. You would have to hem it.

I'd suggest looking in the regular Women's sections, not maternity. A lot of the summer dresses should be loose enough to fit over the bump if you get a bigger size. That's what I did last pregnancy when I got so disgusted with ugly maternity clothes.

I am 5'2", all done with pg. Would be happy to mail you a couple of dresses to try. No strings. No expense. Only thing is I'm very small. Normally a 0 or 2 (or at least, I was before the last baby). Might work for a size 4.

If you are 5'3" a maxi dress will be way too long. You would have to hem it.

I'd suggest looking in the regular Women's sections, not maternity. A lot of the summer dresses should be loose enough to fit over the bump if you get a bigger size. That's what I did last pregnancy when I got so disgusted with ugly maternity clothes.

This is what I tried at Kohl's, but the women's dept dresses were $70+ & ran small. The jr's dept came closer, but oh my. I'm not a jr any more. :lol:

I am 5'2", all done with pg. Would be happy to mail you a couple of dresses to try. No strings. No expense. Only thing is I'm very small. Normally a 0 or 2 (or at least, I was before the last baby). Might work for a size 4.

That's so sweet. But I wasn't a size 4 when dh & I got married! I'm, er, more voluptuous now. By quite a bit. :001_unsure:

I have no idea what size you are, but if you think you could wear a 14 W, you could borrow either of these from me. I got them at Burlington Coat Factory and haven't worn the teal one yet.

That is SO sweet, but I'm afraid the time crunch is too close now.

Maybe I'll just wear some nice pants & bohemian layered tops & act like I don't know what proper wedding attire is. But I'll have to have some heavily spiked lemonade to pull that off. ;)

Jcpenny

Depending on the fabric this may be cute. A simple light jacket could dress it up.

Not quite swooon worthy but in the $25 range. :0)

I'd forgotten that I love Penney's maternity clothes! Your description is perfect: not quite swoon-worthy, but fits the price/color/style pretty well. Adding Penney's to the list.

I can't stand shopping alone (or w/ most people), so I always either skip it or drag dh along, even if that means all 4 dc, too. He hates it & whines worse than the kids, but tonight? He feels so sorry for me, he's promised to be a good sport, even if it means 7 stores & shopping till midnight. I offered to loan him my nook in exchange. :lol:

That is SO sweet, but I'm afraid the time crunch is too close now.

Maybe I'll just wear some nice pants & bohemian layered tops & act like I don't know what proper wedding attire is. But I'll have to have some heavily spiked lemonade to pull that off. ;)

LOL This reminds me of my brothers wedding. They had planned to have a big wedding in October. Well in April (I was due in late May/Early June) he calls me and says, "We are getting married in two days and we decided to invite you and the family". I had TWO DAYS to find something. Apparently they upped the wedding and originally were only going to have parents and friends coming. They did not want the rest of the family because her family could not come out of state that soon. My SIL's sister told her that was silly and that they should invite me and my grandmother. So in a 2 day time period I had to find something nice to fit my 8 month pregnant rear. This was my biggest pregnancy with my biggest baby too. Needless to say I found some nice Khaki pants and a blouse and they dealt with it. :lol:

So in a 2 day time period I had to find something nice to fit my 8 month pregnant rear. This was my biggest pregnancy with my biggest baby too. Needless to say I found some nice Khaki pants and a blouse and they dealt with it. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I was 4 mos. along with #3 for my cousin's black-tie wedding reception. My maternity formal dress was like a tent on me, and my "fat" regular formal dresses didn't fit. I wound up wearing a black maternity jumper (ugh but it fit) with a silver cardigan over it. I looked rather underdressed but everyone knew I was pregnant so they knew better than to say anything to me. ;)

I don't know if this will be helpful. I had a wedding to go to the beginning of April and a near panic attack looking for something that would work for me. I'm 5' and about a size 16-18. I saw this rack of $14.99 tunic tops, several styles, and colors. I bought this one. This model has to be at least 6 ft., because on me, this thing falls to the middle of my kneecaps. I wanted it a bit shorter, but it was fine. I wore it with a pair of black opaque tights and a slimming tank (to cover up my little fat nubbies between arm and boob,) I think it would work fine for pregnancy and you could use a ribbon to give it some definition. There were a few tunics there with a more gathered looking top, but I liked this one the best.

ETA: I'm quite uh endowed, so this would probably fall about your kneecaps given our height difference and non-assuming-ness. Maybe even below that. I wanted something calf-level, but I was surprised that opaque tights looked nicer than a longer dress.

Edited by Shawna in Texas

This morning was a disaster, but we came home, fed the kids lunch, & dh listened to me pout. I hadn't even *gone* to a dress-trying-on store yet, & it was that bad.

I told him I wasn't going, stomped around a bit, & then we put the kids back in the car & went to Kohl's. I had several gift cards there, but the last several times I've been, they haven't had anything like this, & the maternity section is small & overpriced.

But I found this dress (in purple) and this purse. They let me have these shoes for nearly free (Kohl's cash).

And then there's the booKshelf. They talk about miracles, but this is like the burning bush and the Red Sea crossing rolled into one. Not a "neat coincidence," but an actual heart-stopping, faith-changing MIRACLE. It expands your library, but not by one measly volume. It gives you a PhD. :svengo:

In my humble opinion, pregnant ladies get a free pass on the formal dress regulations. If it were my wedding and a pregnant lady showed up in a very nice looking pants suit, I wouldn't be the least bit put out.

I don't even have a nice looking pant suit, dh will be in a tux, & the bride looks *at least* as beautiful as Princess Kate. If it weren't family, if the event would not be immortalized on ils' walls FOREVER, it might be different. These, though, are special circumstances.

(Can you imagine having to stand next to Kate while pg? And have that framed FOREVER????)

But I found this dress (in purple) and this purse. They let me have these shoes for nearly free (Kohl's cash).

And then there's the booKshelf. They talk about miracles, but this is like the burning bush and the Red Sea crossing rolled into one. Not a "neat coincidence," but an actual heart-stopping, faith-changing MIRACLE. It expands your library, but not by one measly volume. It gives you a PhD. :svengo:

Glad you found something! I wish I had a Kohl's! And....... enjoy the wedding, Dr. Aubrey!! :lol:

Aubrey,

If that's you in your avatar, I'd say you compete with Kate any day, and I think your dress sounds positively smashing! Have a great time (if you can, yes, I know you're introverted;)).

Caitilin

Thank you, but...that was me after baby #3, when we switched to the new boards. Then I immediately had #4, &... well...I don't think you'd recognize me if we passed on the street. :001_unsure: