Menu

Favorite Parenting/Discipline Books for Preschoolers? (Non-spanking, please.)

For my sis and bil. My little almost 3yo niece is a very bright, strong-willed, temper tantrum/fit-throwing, extremely sensitive dc.:D ;)

My sis is trying to do time-outs, but that isn't always practical at the grocery store(where she is now refusing to sit down in the cart) or the car(where she freaks out about being buckled into her car seat) or in church(she goes into service with my sis and bil) or at sis's mil's house(where she is very self-conscience about her parenting).

An example of just how bright and sensitive dn is-yesterday she was being naughty-had gotten into something she wasn't supposed to-sis couldn't find her. She finally looked in dn's bedroom, and there was dn in her timeout chair. My sis asked her why she was sitting there and dn replied she put herself there because she made mommy mad.;):lol: Later in the day, when heading out to the car, dn started throwing a fit, begging sis not to put her in the car seat. She got herself so worked up that she started to throw up! This threw my sis into a full-blown sobbing mess. She took dn back inside the house, cleaned her up and told dn they needed to go clean up the car. Dn replied(all the while sobbing), "Mommy, I can't ge-ge-ge-get ha-ha-happy-he-he-help muh-muh-me!!":ohmy::huh:

Something easy to implement, and practical would be great!

Thanks for any suggestions!

I love this age group! They're so funny and creative, even when they've got you ripping out your hair in frustration. My dd turns three at the end of the month, and she tries to give me time outs when I get mad at her. :D Then afterwards, she says, "Mommy be happy now."

I know Dr. Sears has a discipline book. I haven't read it myself, but I absolutely adore everything else I've read by him, and I've heard great things about his discipline book, so you could recommend she look at that one. His philosophies have pretty much shaped who I am as a parent. He's great.

I know a lot of people mock this program, but 1-2-3 Magic really helped me when my son was three. Now that he is four I only use it if he is doing something that needs to stop this very second. Oh and my son used to throw up easily and I've taught him deep breathing to help prevent that.

I love this age group! They're so funny and creative, even when they've got you ripping out your hair in frustration. My dd turns three at the end of the month, and she tries to give me time outs when I get mad at her. :D Then afterwards, she says, "Mommy be happy now."

I know Dr. Sears has a discipline book. I haven't read it myself, but I absolutely adore everything else I've read by him, and I've heard great things about his discipline book, so you could recommend she look at that one. His philosophies have pretty much shaped who I am as a parent. He's great.

Yes, me, too!!:D My parenting was greatly shaped by Sears also and I love toddlers and preschoolers. And I swear, God made this age set so darn adorable to make up for the high-energy parenting required by parents-and patience.

I was(am!) a huge Bill Sears fan-read his books till they fell apart! I know she has The Baby Book(cuz I gave it to her) and the one written by his wife about bfding(dn is still a nursling:)). I wasn't sure if the discipline books were still adored, or if others held the spotlight...

Thanks!

I know a lot of people mock this program, but 1-2-3 Magic really helped me when my son was three. Now that he is four I only use it if he is doing something that needs to stop this very second. Oh and my son used to throw up easily and I've taught him deep breathing to help prevent that.

Thanks!

An oldie, but a goodie:

When Your Child Drives You Crazy, by Eda Leshan. Leshan is a gem!! They can probably get it from their library. It's a few years old and might not be in book stores. It gives *concrete* things to say/do with tricky little tots.

It's not all fluffy theory.

Love and Logic is a great resource for children of all ages. I love this series!

Yep, I agree. In fact, a dear friend is a child/family therapist and she works using this philosophy. She has CDs that she'll have the parents listen to while she's working with the child or include the ideals in her sessions.

Well, after talking to my sis(who, btw, is in the middle of nowhere and has no net or library access) and giving her the Hive's suggestions and reading loads! of reviews on Amazon, I ordered these two-

Raising Your Spirited Child-Revised edition

Positive Discipline for Preschoolers

I am going to try to get my hands on the book, "When Your Child Drives You Crazy" so I'll be keeping my eye out for it as I take my weekly trip to the used bookstores.:)

Thanks for all the suggestions!:grouphug:

For my sis and bil. My little almost 3yo niece is a very bright, strong-willed, temper tantrum/fit-throwing, extremely sensitive dc.:D ;)

My sis is trying to do time-outs, but that isn't always practical at the grocery store(where she is now refusing to sit down in the cart) or the car(where she freaks out about being buckled into her car seat) or in church(she goes into service with my sis and bil) or at sis's mil's house(where she is very self-conscience about her parenting).

An example of just how bright and sensitive dn is-yesterday she was being naughty-had gotten into something she wasn't supposed to-sis couldn't find her. She finally looked in dn's bedroom, and there was dn in her timeout chair. My sis asked her why she was sitting there and dn replied she put herself there because she made mommy mad.;):lol: Later in the day, when heading out to the car, dn started throwing a fit, begging sis not to put her in the car seat. She got herself so worked up that she started to throw up! This threw my sis into a full-blown sobbing mess. She took dn back inside the house, cleaned her up and told dn they needed to go clean up the car. Dn replied(all the while sobbing), "Mommy, I can't ge-ge-ge-get ha-ha-happy-he-he-help muh-muh-me!!":ohmy::huh:

Something easy to implement, and practical would be great!

Thanks for any suggestions!

I highly recommend Parenting with Love and Logic either the original or this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1930429002/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0944634443&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VFEQF6K0DYMG91H1DP3

I had a very independent (strong willed - yeah) smart one and PWL&L was recommended to me by her adoption case worker because she was throwing fits at 15 months and I was not allowed to and did not want to, spank her.

I know you already ordered, but I'll throw out a title to add to you used bookstore list: I loved Becky Bailey's Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline. It takes a little to get into it, but it was so helpful w/ my oldest, who was a handful as a preschooler. So gentle and really lovely. I am actually due for a tuning up and need to pull out the tried and true stash for all (well, I think I need to find some gems for the older years, yeesh). Raising Your Spirited Child is a gem, as is her other parenting book Kids, Parents and Power Struggles.

He is AWESOME!! He was my daughter's pediatrician for her first year. I was thousands of miles away from my mom when dd was born and Dr. Bill taught me how to be a mom. I can tell you first hand that he is the best! <3 him!

Great suggestions in this thread!

I'd add "How to Really Love Your Child" by Dr. Ross Campbell, (like the Eda Leshan book, it is an oldie but goodie).

Even earlier work from Rudolph Druikers is good, too.

Anything by Scott Turnansky and Joanne Miller.

The Clarksons (Sally and Clay) have some parenting/discipline material out now (Christian content).