Menu

Do you have a baby grand piano?

If so, do you like it? And how skilled are the musicians in your home?

We are thinking of replacing our old family upright piano and we are debating between a studio upright and a baby grand. My kids and I have taken piano lessons for 3 years and we have fun with it but are not naturally talented musicians but I have tried to make music important in our home. We plan on continuing lessons indefinitely.

We like the look and sound of the baby grands, but feel that may be too "grand" (sorry!) for our situation. Anyway, any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

I love it. It was mine growing up and I would miss it terribly. There is no competing with the sound.

That being said, I don't know if I would pay the $$ to replace it, if something dreadful happened to it. My kids would do just fine on an upright, I just happen to love the look, and since we have one....

My husband came with a 5'1" K. Kawai. :001_wub: I wouldn't trade it for an upright, even if it meant we had to live in a shoebox.

If cost is a factor, you might check with your local college/university music schools and see when they replace their practice room instruments. Often they'll be sold after a few years with full warranties and for half the cost of a brand new piano. You might be able to get a nicer instrument (studio upright or baby grand) than you think.

We love our Kawai upright (owned for 23 years), but our kids are not playing the piano beyond high school.

We have two friends with grands, but they each have the house to "house" it. It needs to be on an inside wall. Their oldest children are accomplished pianists.

Also, our church bought a used grand from our local university. It had to be restrung, which was a $4K process, but now it sounds nice.

One college student (piano performance major) came to the church every day for his practice time.

I have a 6'3" grand. I was a piano major in college. If you plan on continuing with lessons, you will want to invest in a quality instrument. I would suggest finding a copy of Larry Fine's The Piano Book. He covers all you need to know about size, brands, and whether to buy new or used.

Happy Shopping,

Linda

We just purchased a barely used Kawai 5'4" grand at a university sale. For a lot of money. Dd and ds both play, and dd has outgrown our studio vertical. She needs the action of a grand with its faster repeated notes, and a more weighted touch. A grand is a big investment, both in money and space. Only you can decide if that investment is worth it;).

We have what's called a Parlor Grand or Living Room Grand. I can't say enough good things about it. Love the way it sounds, love the way it looks, love the way it feels to play it (and I'm not even one of the pianists in the house...but, I'm working on it :)).

In addition to the gorgeous music it produces, a piano can be a stunning piece of furniture.

My daughters both play, and although they've played for only a little more than two years, they are both very involved in their music and have progressed at a great pace. I do credit the piano a little because it's such a joy for them to play. Previously, they played on a digital piano, and while it's nice as far as digital pianos go, it just isn't an acoustic.

One thing I learned from doing research before buying our piano last year: don't automatically assume that just because it's a Baby Grand, it will have superior sound. There are some wonderful uprights out there that produce sound equal to or better than some of the Baby Grands, and sometimes for less money, so it's important to play them before purchasing.

Larry Fine's The Piano Book would probably be helpful as you contemplate (what can be) a huge investment.

Much luck with your decision!

we compromised and purchased what is called an "upright grand". It's 60" tall. As far as I know, they don't make them anymore, but if you can find one that has been maintained well, the sound is fabulous. It took me 2 years to find one. It's from 1906. We had an evaluator look at it and he said that only about 1 in 500 from that era are still in good condition. Based on what I found while shopping for 2 years, I would have to agree with that number.

One thing I hadn't considered until a friend mentioned it is having *too much* sound. Don't just look at the piano, but also where it will be located, is it central, room size, ceiling height, is there carpeting and drapes to absorb the sound? A large piano that sounds great in the store could be quite overwhelming in your home if the sound is reverberating through the whole house while jr is playing hot cross buns for the millionth time.

For me, it would depend on the quality. I would opt for a very good upright over a so-so grand. I'm also not a fan of the smaller grands; if you have the space for at least a six-foot grand, I'd go for it, but otherwise I'd opt for a quality upright instead.

I was about 15 (and quite advanced) when my teacher started sending home notes to my parents that they needed to get a grand piano to play on. It would have been lovely to have it before then, though. And too bad it still lives at their house. ;-)

Now I have a home studio and wish that I had the spare $60,000 to get the piano of my dreams and a house big enough for it. ;-) But in the meantime I am perfectly thrilled with the sound and feel of the upright that we purchased. If you can spend the money to get a good quality full size grand you should, especially if you know your children will continue to play and progress into advanced literature. I would definitely not waste the money on a baby grand that is probably not going to sound any better than an upright. The bigger the better they always say in pianos. (I'd go at least 5'10" I'd say.)

It is possible to find a pretty decent upright, but do your research and play on many. I second or third the recommendation to read Lary Fine's, The Piano Book.

BTW, my piano is a Petrof. The sound is amazing. You would completely think you were listening to a grand if your eyes were closed. And it has a really nice action, superior to most upright's I've played. Might be hard to find one of those, though. I know my piano dealer doesn't carry them anymore.

Oh, and one more word of advice. Don't trust most piano dealers. They can be worse than car salesman!

My dd is 15 and has been playing for appx. 6 years. She finished working her way through the lesson book series about...maybe 3 years ago? About 4 years ago we bought a 6' Yamaha that was listed on Craigslist. It's by no means new, but was gently used, and pretty much looks like new. Love the tone, love the slightly stiffer action, and it's absolutely a beautiful instrument.

I feel like our timing was good. Our dd had been playing long enough to determine that she really was a committed musician, but she wasn't yet playing with such technical skills that she was frustrated with our old spinet.

At this point, we're entering a debate about who's piano it actually is. :D

Technically, it's mine, and I'm planning to take up playing again when my dc are up and out of the house. Dd thinks it should go with her wherever she goes, since she's the one who's been using it all of this time. I've told her that we still have some time to decide this, and we'll see where the Lord leads her. ;)

We've got a baby grand Yamaha piano. I love the look of it in our spacious great room, but anything bigger wouldn't look right (it would be too cramped).

I think we'll start my dd6 on lessons in our house this summer. I haven't had lessons since elementary school. I want to learn again.

Edited by Satori

we compromised and purchased what is called an "upright grand". It's 60" tall. As far as I know, they don't make them anymore, but if you can find one that has been maintained well, the sound is fabulous. It took me 2 years to find one. It's from 1906. We had an evaluator look at it and he said that only about 1 in 500 from that era are still in good condition. Based on what I found while shopping for 2 years, I would have to agree with that number.

We have a Bush and Lane upright grand, which I inherited from my grandmother. The sound is gorgeous! This isn't my photo, but the image is almost identical to our piano. It holds it's tune beautifully. :)

Bush%20&%20Lane%20Main%20Photo.jpg

I have a grand I inherited from my grandmother who was a professional. I am a professional musician too. The piano probably takes up more of my house than most people would like, but I adore having it. For the record, at some point a number of Steinway techs went to Yamaha, and many Yamahas are truly excellent.

We have a Yamaha G2, used. When we bought it our sons' playing improved immediately with the better sound. They all play very well, but are grown up now. My husband and I are hacks! We do still play a bit, however. Our home is small, and the piano is disproportionately large, but we love it.

We have a grand. Both my dds play well, (actually one of them plays off the charts). The only regret I have about the grand is that we did not buy it soon enough.

We also have a digital and have had uprights. Grand wins hands down.

:iagree:

One thing to consider though, if you ever move, you will have to find a house with a room big enough for the piano!