Menu

s/o: Tell me more about alternative tv sources please

I'm intrigued by roku, hulu, using internet for tv, xbox, etc etc. I noticed some of our favorite shows listed on hulu. I don't know if I could convince DH to get rid of satellite, esp for fights, but I'd like to know more. What channels or shows do you not get that maybe you miss? Any problems? What equipment do you use? Generally, how do you watch tv at your house? Thanks!

We have local digital channels(abc, cbs, nbc, pbs, fox, this), Skyangel, and my dh has a computer hooked to our TV, so we can watch things online. We can also access some things online through our blueray player. I do not watch TV that often but the kids watch cartoons on Skyangel. We rarely watch the networks. We use the computer a lot to watch educational things.

We get no channels even with antenea...I kinda miss cbs but we got playon so we at least get big bang and survivor but they don't put mentalist up online. Honestly though I realized that I don't miss anything...we have Netflix and I am enjoying watching older seasons of a number of shows and don't feel the loss of the "current" stuff. Its almost a chore to watch the shows that are current on Hulu.

We have not made the big switche just YET because when I called DIrectv to cancel they gave me 3 months for free plus half price for an additional 3 months.

HOWEVER, we had fully planned to cancel and I purchased 2 Roku boxes, so we have those all set up. I need a 3rd if/when we switch, but I may just use an internet capable Tivo so I am not buying yet.

We subscribe to HuluPlus ($8/mo) and Netflix ($8/mo) and right now the Roku boxes are hooked up to TVs that are not connected to Directv.

Right now we get spotty TV with an antenna. When plan to buy a whole house antenna and try it out and see what we can get. I assume we can get most of the major networks if we have a good enough antenna, but we aren't sure. We have a lot of trees in our way.

A friend is giving us an old Tivo (non high def) and that will allow us to try that out before buying a Tivo. Tivo would be another $12/mo.

Directv got up to $100/mo so I figure even if we have HuluPlus, Netflix, and Tivo.....we still will save about 66% or more.

I really, really wish CBS would get on board with streaming!

Dawn

We use a program called PlayOn. You install it on your computer and it streams to anything on your home network that has access to the internet. We stream through our Wii. It allows us to stream Hulu for free, as well as the networks (from their websites) and any media file that is on your computer. I think it costs $20/year or something? We also have Netflix that we stream through our Wii that costs $9.99/month because we also have the one DVD out at a time option. Between the two, we rarely have something that we want to watch that we can't. With Hulu we just have to watch our shows one day later than when they air. We're also looking into a digital antenna to get some local channels for free.

I'm intrigued by roku, hulu, using internet for tv, xbox, etc etc. I noticed some of our favorite shows listed on hulu. I don't know if I could convince DH to get rid of satellite, esp for fights, but I'd like to know more. What channels or shows do you not get that maybe you miss? Any problems? What equipment do you use? Generally, how do you watch tv at your house? Thanks!

Buyer beware. I hate Hulu. :glare:

It's a tease... Yes, they have the shows listed but few are available for streaming to anything other than your computer. In other words, that lovely Roku box & BluRay streamer you have? They won't pull in the shows you actually WANT to watch on Hulu. We cancelled our Hulu Plus.

Now, that said, I LIKE my Roku. We've had it for about four months. When we upgrade to Amazon Prime (paid membership, not "Moms" like I have now) we'll have more options as well.

I can pull in any new movie I want (paid) through Amazon. Netflix streams beautifully. Kidlet is a great channel.

Most importantly, we don't have the basic television channels here - like NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, etc. I have no idea why, but I am grateful, and happy about it. It leaves us with NO options other than what we can stream, no random television viewing, lol, and I love it.

DH requested that we figure out SOME way to get the evening news. It was all he cared about. Roku has free streaming for the news channels so he can watch his evening news on any station through Roku. :)

It was a great little investment for us. I am very sorry I didn't pre-block all of the old black and white and western movie channels before DH & DD saw they existed, but other than that, it's a good thing.

What about NFL? My dh won't let me cut off DirecTV because he will miss football.

I also rarely watch any network (although we are all hopelessly hooked on American Idol), but I would miss Cooking Channel, some TLC (current Mythbusters), Top Gear on BBCA, etc.

I don't want to sit and watch on my computer. I want to stream through the High Def large TV!

Also, I can't see that they even stream everything....only select shows.

I am hoping a rooftop or attic antenna will allow us to get CBS directly to the TV, that would solve the issue.

Dawn

CBS does stream it's shows, just not through Hulu. You have to go to their website.

This is fascinating to me. We frequently dvr shows to watch later, so it wouldn't bother me if I couldn't watch live. We can get all the networks and PBS on that box the gov't had coupons for a few years ago. Most of the Cubs and Bears games are on those, so that would be ok. I'll have to look into the amazon prime. I didn't realize they were deoing tv now. I like having a handful of saved episodes of kid shows like Max & Ruby, Little Bear, and Thomas. Am I correct in understanding I could access these whenever I wanted through hulu or similar service? Or would I need a tivo?

Check out this article from my clever husband, who set up our system. We watch TV on a nearly five-foot screen. A huge side benefit for me includes not having an actual TV; we can just roll up the screen and it's good-bye, television.

Except for him slanging me about using Facebook so much, it's an informative article that evenfeatures a video, which, of coyrse, doesn't feature my husband and thereby blow his cover...

http://gigaom.com/video/cord-cutters-survival-stories-i-will-never-go-back/

My guess is that for the games you will need a Tivo.

Dawn

This is fascinating to me. We frequently dvr shows to watch later, so it wouldn't bother me if I couldn't watch live. We can get all the networks and PBS on that box the gov't had coupons for a few years ago. Most of the Cubs and Bears games are on those, so that would be ok. I'll have to look into the amazon prime. I didn't realize they were deoing tv now. I like having a handful of saved episodes of kid shows like Max & Ruby, Little Bear, and Thomas. Am I correct in understanding I could access these whenever I wanted through hulu or similar service? Or would I need a tivo?

Ok. One more question for the roku users: which roku do you have? Happy with it? Or wish you'd gotten a different one?

Wait. I lied. I had 2 more questions. I see that the UFC channel is $60/6mo and $45/fight. I know a bit about netflix subscriptions. And huluplus is something like $8/mo. Amazon prime is $80/yr. Newscaster is free. We don't need NBA or NHL. Anything that I might want or need to pay for?

I don't want to sit and watch on my computer. I want to stream through the High Def large TV!

Also, I can't see that they even stream everything....only select shows.

I am hoping a rooftop or attic antenna will allow us to get CBS directly to the TV, that would solve the issue.

My dh hooked our old computer up to the TV, so we can watch anything online directly on our TV.

We stream netflix through our ps3 which is also a DVD & BluRay player. We have DirecTV but hardly EVER watch it. Usually only if the weather is bad and then it'll go out if it gets REALLY bad, so DH has installed a new set of antennas that get us through even the worst storms with weather coverage! But for daily viewing, Netflix it is! :D

I pay $10/month to cable to get local channels only (I am a news junkie and need my local news channels).

I pay $8/month for netflix and we have a Roku box (the most basic one).

We also watch lots of Hulu on the computer.

I would say since we got rid of cable that tv watching has gone down 75% :001_smile:

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the Roku box and a Wii for streaming Netflix? Can you get a lot more channels or movies with the Roku box? We are also going to be canceling our cable and I am trying to figure out how to keep basic channels and get some movies and kid shows. Thanks :)

The main difference between the Wii and the Roku is the quality of the picture. The Wii only has 480p picture quality and the Roku gets 1080p. This isn't a huge deal if you have a small, non-high-def TV. It is a HUGE deal to DH as we have larger high def, 1080p TVs.

He was fairly anti streaming until I got the better quality Roku and then he agreed the picture quality was good enough. :tongue_smilie:

The Wii is also more cumbersome to use.

Dawn

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the Roku box and a Wii for streaming Netflix? Can you get a lot more channels or movies with the Roku box? We are also going to be canceling our cable and I am trying to figure out how to keep basic channels and get some movies and kid shows. Thanks :)
Edited by DawnM

I got the highest quality Roku. It is $99 on Amazon and $0 shipping. The next one down is $79, but it doesn't have a USB port to view pictures, movies, etc...

I wanted the USB port.

The lowest end one I wouldn't have even considered as it doesn't have 1080p, wireless N capabilities, or instant replay.

I thought about the $79 and then figured for $20 more (and that is a ONE TIME charge rather than monthly with satellite!) it was worth it.

Here are the differences:

http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2

Dawn

Ok. One more question for the roku users: which roku do you have? Happy with it? Or wish you'd gotten a different one?

Wait. I lied. I had 2 more questions. I see that the UFC channel is $60/6mo and $45/fight. I know a bit about netflix subscriptions. And huluplus is something like $8/mo. Amazon prime is $80/yr. Newscaster is free. We don't need NBA or NHL. Anything that I might want or need to pay for?

We have been cable-free for almost a year now & we don't miss it at all! Our tv viewing has gone down almost 100% since most days the tv never comes on. It is great. We have a Wii & an Xbox(different tvs). Both stream Netflix ($10/mo). We have an antenna & get at least a dozen digital channels including all the major network local channels. The Xbox never gets played (everyone prefers the Wii), but my husband maintains an xbox live gold account ($50/yr I think) & through it he gets all ESPN games. Which is the only thing he said he would miss when we cut the cable cord. He occasionally watches sports. They boys play video games & occasionally will watch something from Netflix. I watch AMC about 2xs/month but it looks like that is coming to an end :). We get news & weather on-line simply b/c we prefer that medium. We watch nothing prime time. All of us read in the evenings now. Or go outside. Or play a game. Or on the weekends, choose something family friendly to watch from the vast choices at netflix, or the library. It really is lovely & painless.

To the person who mentioned apple tv...we have the old box & do really like it. You can stream any content you have on your computer to your tv (movies, tv shows on your hard drive or media purchased through itunes). I think the new box also has Netflix availability. The BEST part of the apple tv is....you can stream your personal photos to your tv. WE LOVE THIS. We sometimes have pictures flickering on the tv with a favorite playlist attached. It is really like a living photo album. It's easy to get distracted from what you're doing to look at all the memories flashing up there :).

Good luck on your journey to being cable-free!

We bought two of the highest quality ones too. Even though we have older tv's, we know they won't last much longer. We didn't want to have to upgrade our Roku box when we upgrade the tv's. BJ's had an instant $10 off coupon, making the boxes $89.

Brighthouse is coming this morning to install roadrunner. Just as we decided to go to streaming, AT&T decided to cap bandwidth. :angry: They lost us, longtime customers, as soon as they did that.

I got the highest quality Roku. It is $99 on Amazon and $0 shipping. The next one down is $79, but it doesn't have a USB port to view pictures, movies, etc...

The lowest end one I wouldn't have even considered as it doesn't have 1080p, wireless N capabilities, or instant replay.

Dawn

We have a computer that is dedicated to our big-screen TV. We have NetFlix, which is our home page when we launch the Internet. We have our favorite networks bookmarked--CBS, NBC, Fox, USA, TNT, a few others. We watch them with mixed results.:glare:

But we have watched quite a few things streamed from NetFlix (I'm on Season 5 of X-Files :001_smile:), and we do get DVDs. I'm thinking that we might just get our favorite network shows (NCIS, the Mentalist, CSI, Criminal Minds, etc.) on DVD instead of trying to watch them on-line.

Since we don't do sports, that isn't an issue.