Menu

Any books for kids about life in the circus, clown school, behind scenes in a circus

PBS had a fascinating series about life in a circus just recently.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/circus/

I can't remember details about the content as to whether there was anything inappropriate for little uns.

Also, there is a book in the same series as "A Very Young Ballet Dancer" - old but good.

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Young-Circus-Flyer/dp/0394505743/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1304738723&sr=8-1

Jill Krementz' A Very Young Circus Flyer

Out of print, but they're cheap on Amazon. I love this series of books (I had A Very Young Rider when I was a kid. It's non-fiction, told from the child's point of view, about his experiences living and performing with the circus. Lots of photographs. Also, Jill Krementz is Kurt Vonnegut's widow. Irrelevant trivia!

ETA: x-posted!

It's a picture book, but Peter Spier's Circus is wonderful. We love Peter Spier's books.

Absolutely. It's full of details - kids from a wide range of ages would get a lot out of this one. We loved the pictures showing how the circus performers live.

Jill Krementz' A Very Young Circus Flyer

Out of print, but they're cheap on Amazon. I love this series of books (I had A Very Young Rider when I was a kid. It's non-fiction, told from the child's point of view, about his experiences living and performing with the circus. Lots of photographs.

Oh, yes, this one is amazing! My daughter studied it again and again. It really gives you the feeling that you know what his life is like. (Including the less desirable aspects, like his dad being mad at him when he makes a mistake.) Don't let the age of this book deter you.

They did a reality show about Cirque du Soleil called The Fire Within, and it was interesting to get a behind-the-scenes look at the auditions and training for a show. There's more drama than if it had been just a documentary, but I don't remember anything that might be inappropriate for kids. We got it at the library.

Edited by WordGirl

We have a performing arts circus school local to us that has sent kids to international competitions. I think it's the largest circus school world wide at the moment. It might be fun just to explore their website ...

http://www.circusjuventas.org/

And/or go to youtube and search for Circus Juventas (summer show videos are more spectacular - sawdust was the name of the last advanced show). My kids are doing circus performances right now. It's amazing what they do even with YOUNG kids. My 6 year old just performed a trapeze routine. My 10 year old clowns, rides unicycle, and is a beginning acrobat. :D I have an online video of my younger just taken at circus I'd be willing to PM if you'd like to see the things they do starting with 1st graders. This is a no try out/no one gets cut kind of place. Anyone can take classes - they even offer programs for special needs kids. My husband is having a blast in an adult class.

This is a few nice short videos that just show what an average day looks like at circus school for more advanced kids. These are just average, local kids that could be doing other sports. The teens train probably 6-15 hours a week. Many if the coaches were international circus performers.

This user on youtube (FromJM) actually has a number of good related videos. Teacher bios and other compilations.

I remember reading the book "Circus Shoes" by Noel Steatfield as a kid. In this book a brother and sister are sent to live with a circus. It was pretty good buy may no longer be in print.

This is the edition we have, from Jane Nissen Books, which publishes nice editions of loads of fantastic older books.