Menu

Thank you to everyone who recommened the green smoothies!

WOW! Sums it up for me. I feel better, my digestion problems are no existent, I am eating way less, craving less. Over all I am so pleased! I missed 2 days of them when I was out of town and I really noticed by the second day that I was not taking in what I needed to. Yesterday I was miserable! My digestion problems were back, I had no energy just a horrible day. Today I made sure I made an extra large morning/mid day batch!

So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my kids love them with banana and prefer the light taste of spinach to any other green right now. (but they are eating greens) I have just been trying all kinds of them. I bought the book "The Everything Green Smoothies Book" it is full of ideas and great recipes.

This is the ones my kids love so far.

2 handfulls spinach

2 bananas

water (1/2 cup to 1 cup depends on how thick you like it)

1/2 cup ice (we have to have them cold)

1 tbsp chai seeds

---------------------

(this is todays, and very yummy)

3 handfulls spinach (fills my 9cup blender loosely) (I use more for me than the kids)

1 cup fresh pineapple

2 bananas

1 kiwi

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup ice

1 tbsp chai seeds

-----------------------

2 handfulls kale

2 bananas

1/2 cup strawberries

1/2 cup raspberries

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup ice

1 tbsp chai seeds

-------------------

I've been loving them too! But wow, 2 bananas AND 1 c of pineapple? Those smoothies of yours must be HUGE!:D I can't have all those carbs, so my go to is:

~2c spinach

1/3 c coconut milk

1 TBSP coconut oil

1 scoop organic whey protein powder (I like banana flavor)

1/2 c high protein plain greek yogurt

1/2 c mixed frozen berries, or occasionally peaches

This winds up being just about 350-400 calories and makes a VERY filling breakfast!

Mine last for breakfast and lunch. Then I do a small one in the evening.

I craved carbs (should say starchy carbs) mega bad, and now that I throw in bananas daily like that I don't crave them at all. I know duh cause I am eating them, but I am eating them in a better form now that doesn't hurt me.

My 19-month-old LOVES green smoothies. The other day I made one with spinach, banana, cantaloupe, and mango that was really good! After he finished it, he carried his cup to the counter and put it up there. I transferred it to the sink, and he started to cry. I gave the cup back to him and he put it back on the counter. As I picked it up and walked toward the sink he cried again. Then I realized that he was putting the cup where the blender had been and was trying to tell me that he wanted more! I laughed and said, "No free refills," and he said "Yeah" and ran off happily!:lol:

Am getting a juicer today!

You need a blender for smoothies. Nothing is eliminated--you eat the whole fruit.

Juicing is great, but it's not a smoothie.

I got just a 4 speed Kitchenaid with a 48 oz carafe and it works great.

I came across this recipe generator a while back:

http://www.greensmoothiecentral.com/blender.html

You may have to use your judgement on some of the possible combinations. :tongue_smilie:

• 5 months later...
I drink the Shakeology greenberry smoothie every morning. It rocks!

I have discovered Shakeology and I love it! I drink the chocolate.

I also drink Amazing Meal-Amazing Grass Vanilla Chai. I don't love it, but when I mix it with chocolate Shakeology, it's fine!

They are amazing meal replacers! I can go for hours without even the need to snack, I feel better, don't need to nap and have tons of energy. I'm working out like crazy too--and it still satisfies! My sister is a Beachbody coach. You can look at it at her site!

Shakeology

I've been doing lots of Leslie Sanson videos. Does anyone her do her walking exercises? I love them.

Edited by Tracy in Ky

Aren't they great? :)

I keep mine pretty simple. About 3 oz of spinach fills my blender loosely with 1 cup water to start. Then I'll add in another fruit ~ peach, apple, etc. and finish off with a handful or two of frozen banana slices. I buy the bags of super-ripe bananas that go on sale cheaply, then slice and freeze them for smoothies.

Aren't they great? :)

I keep mine pretty simple. About 3 oz of spinach fills my blender loosely with 1 cup water to start. Then I'll add in another fruit ~ peach, apple, etc. and finish off with a handful or two of frozen banana slices. I buy the bags of super-ripe bananas that go on sale cheaply, then slice and freeze them for smoothies.

Good idea. Thanks.

Chia is filling. It was used by native americans because they ate more feast and famine rather than having as regular of meals as people have now (weight and diabetes are huge issues with native americans now that they have more the access to food we have, but the body type that needs not to eat so much so regularly).

Anyway, Chia helps you eat less :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

Can you share what the benefits of chai seeds are? Thanks!

I'm wondering if this is supposed to be chia seeds rather than chai seeds. Isn't chai a type of tea? Chia is a good source of omega-3, and is used in some cultures as an energy food. Here's a random link I found via google. I first started reading about them and trying them after reading the book Born to Run.

My 8½ month old had her first green smoothie tonight!

She had collard greens, frozen mixed fruit, a splash of white grape juice and some soy milk.

That is our basic recipe though we eat kale and spinach as the green most often. I'm not big on collards though chard is good. Sprouts are good also, just don't use too much.

I've never had a green smoothie. From all of the recipes posted is seems that spinach is the base. Do the smoothies end up tasting like spinach?

Spinach is popular, but you can use pretty much any raw leafy green. I have a book (Green for Life?) that even has one made with parsley and mangoes. It was.... interesting.

Iso need to get back into doing this.

Spinach is used because it is, when raw, such a mild green packed full of nutrition. Most people start with spinach or romaine because they taste mostly fruit, not veggies. In time, you add more veggies and other stuff rather than fruits (or sweeteners like dates). It takes time though. Most people start with 1/3 veggies and then work up to 50-70% veggies. You'll naturally do it. When I made a "first time smoothie" for my mom, I about gagged on how sweet it was because we had been doing green smoothies for months by that time and were much more veggie.