Menu

We just came home an hour ago to find we had been robbed. I was starting to unlock the door when I found it had been kicked and the frame had shattered. I immediately retreated to the car. I borrowed my neighbor's cell phone and called the police. They cleared the house and we inventoried what was taken.

I think it must have been someone on foot. Everything they took could easily fit in a backpack. My wallet, iPhone, wedding ring, Wii, camera and some Wii games.

So what do we do next? I know I need to call my insurance company, but I'll have to wait til dh gets home as my phone is gone. I can't even take pics of the door.

If you have MobileMe you can wipe your phone remotely, or find it via GPS. That's what I would do while waiting for dh to come home. I'm so sorry this happened! :grouphug:

ETA: If you had any debit/credit cards in your wallet I would go online and do as much as I could towards reporting them stolen.

Edited by Hannah C.

:grouphug:s. Contact your phone company asap to put a lock on the Iphone. Borrow your neighbor's phone if you have to. If you have your credit card info on it, they could be using it to buy things. Also, I don't think your insurance company will do anything yet, not until the police have been given time to "find" your stuff. But still make a report so they have it on record. I could be wrong, that's just how it is with mine.

:grouphug:s. Contact your phone company asap to put a lock on the Iphone. Borrow your neighbor's phone if you have to. If you have your credit card info on it, they could be using it to buy things. Also, I don't think your insurance company will do anything yet, not until the police have been given time to "find" your stuff. But still make a report so they have it on record. I could be wrong, that's just how it is with mine.

We were robbed over Thanksgiving a few years ago. You will need a police report, obviously, but our insurance had a check out to us within a week. Make sure you have a good inventory of what was stolen. Your phone co. may have the serial # if you don't. If you don't have a list of serial #s on the electronics, there's no way they're getting anything back according to the police.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. I know it is very difficult to deal with. Many people feel they have been personally violated when their homes are broken into. It is a deep ache in the heart that is very painful.

In my experience- I'm a lawyer and have dealt with lots of burglaries- it was most likely a drug addict who broke into your house. Occasionally, there are big-time professional burglars who go after stores or the big bucks, but the normal residential burglar is usually a druggie.

Yes, call your homeowner's insurance company and see if there is coverage. There is a small chance that your stuff could be recovered, but unlikely.

Mainly, you need some emotional support. Please reach out to friends and family. {{{{hugs}}}}}.

Yeah! I just got a hold of dh and he took the Wii to school. Thankfully we only have one cc and I had it in my pocket.

I emailed my insurance company, and dh is coming home as soon as school dismisses.

He took the Wii to school???:lol: I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I would probably have gone ballistic and ordered a home security system immediately. But then I am a bit of a scaredy cat.