Menu

How do you decide which curriculum will be best fit?

I will soon be schooling all of my girls (this year youngest did some informal pre-school at home) from K-5 - 11th grade, and have a new baby due in November. My older 3 girls went to private school for a few years, so I have never had to teach one how to read! I also have never gotten to start from scratch with one either. I am torn on a curriculum "style" for this child.

I like the CM style (HOD, MFW, WP) type stuff, but I also like the looks of Oak Meadow and other Waldorf curricula, oh and wait- I like the phonics stuff from Abeka. I am all over the place! How do you decide what will truly work for you and your child?

This dd loves to read, loves books, loves crafts, coloring, etc. She will sit still for a good bit, and is excited about school.

I narrow down the choices to ones that meet my criteria and then I show my kids some samples. My support group holds an annual curriculum fair where folks bring their books for others to look over. Also, there's a HS book store that I visit whenever I happen to be up in Sacramento.

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks book and her online reviews are helpful in determining which materials will probably work best for my kids' learning styles.

There is some hit and miss. One thing I do do is look at the curriculum in the sigs of posters, and if they have a personal style like mine, or kids like mine, or are already using things that work for us, I look closely at the other things they list.

I don't put up a sig of curr to brag or display myself, but to help others who do the same as I.

We aren't very far into our HSing journey so far, but my major changes thus far have been related to me not really understanding what *I* needed to be successful.

For example, I had read on here that Phonics Pathways & Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading were both great resources for teaching a kid to read. OPGTR was dry & scripted & boring, but very effective. PP was the fun equivalent!

Of course I chose PP. But I've never taught a kid to read before. I looked at it for ridiculous amounts of time, but I just could not figure out exactly what I was supposed to do with it! So we hopped to OPGTR. Yep, it's boring, but I am a lot more confident that I am not screwing up something so important!

Trial and error is how I figured it all out. :tongue_smilie: I've finally settled on my top picks for the basic elementary subjects:

1. Phonics Road (phonics, reading, spelling, basic writing, grammar)

2. Math Mammoth math (mastery) or Christian Light Education math (spiral)

3. Story of the World for history

4. The lit. program I wrote for my kids

This is the end of our sixth year and our homeschool isn't perfect yet, but things get better every year. :)

I narrow down the choices to ones that meet my criteria and then I show my kids some samples. My support group holds an annual curriculum fair where folks bring their books for others to look over.

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks book and her online reviews are helpful in determining which materials will probably work best for my kids' learning styles.

These are methods I use too, plus reviews on other places. I also like to look at online samples from a variety of distributors and on the publisher or author's website--often various places will have different samples up and give me a more well-rounded sense of what a curriculum is like. Seeing it in person at a friend's is great if I can!

Forgot to mention that since you're going to have a new baby this year, I would keep it really simple for K5. The 3R's plus religion if applicable.

Yes! Though I might add, reading aloud good lit at bedtime as a staple too :-).

There is some hit and miss. One thing I do do is look at the curriculum in the sigs of posters, and if they have a personal style like mine, or kids like mine, or are already using things that work for us, I look closely at the other things they list.

I don't put up a sig of curr to brag or display myself, but to help others who do the same as I.

Yes--if I notice someone likes a curriculum that I really like, I am usually interested in other things they use. If their child excels or struggles in the same areas as mine, that also makes me take notice.

Definitely some trial and error though. Don't be afraid of mistakes--you can always try something different the next year!

Merry :-)

The best curricula are the ones that get done. :)

:iagree:

For us it's been a lot of trying this and then trying that when this doesn't work. A Beka was great with phonics, but I discovered that neither of my boys thrives with spiral based math (I started them on A Beka), so now we're on Singapore with one (he's doing great) and will start MCP with the other next year in 2nd grade. You may have an idea of the way your kids learn, but it's not until you get into the thick of it that you discover that "this is just not working" and you do something else. Hopefully you can figure it out before it gets too expensive.:tongue_smilie:

The best curricula are the ones that get done. :)

For the older kids, you could choose an appropriate Sonlight Core and they could guide themselves through the work... You'd have to pick a separate math, etc. At least, I think that's how it works with Sonlight. They may recommend one, but I don't think it comes with the Core. ???

The Cores come with schedules and the older kids could just work through the schedules at their own pace.

For math: Math U See has dvd's that teach and many kids can watch them and do their math with little help from moms. I'd go with something like this so you are free to care for the baby.

For the younger one/s, you could use a Sonlight Core and read the books with them. I wouldn't follow the schedule because (in my opinion), it just feels all over the place because you are reading a few pages here and another few pages there all day. I'd just take the list of books and read them one after another, discussing them, etc.

For handwriting, you could do Zanier Bloser. Just do a page or two a day.

With a new baby coming, I'd keep it simple and focus on time spent with your kids over good books. And, I'd just focus on the essentials: reading, writing, arithmetic and nothing else (because you probably won't have time to do much else.)

To teach reading, I'd use The Handbook for Reading from Abeka. And, you don't really need all the other stuff Abeka provides, like flash cards, just as long as you review enough using the Handbook. That was my choice for phonics. I'd never taught a kid to read before, either. And, my daughter (now six) reads six books a day!

Good luck! :grouphug:

Edited by VBoulden

I am using Oak Meadow 1 with my younger two. If you do go with OM (which is not Waldorf, exactly) OM1 is more like Kinder. I am selling mine as it is too low for my guys.

Five in a Row is another lit based Char. Mason influenced curriculum to visit.

Honestly, with a new baby coming, I would stick to the basics of phonics, handwriting, and math. Read and maybe narrate/draw or paint a picture to go with some stories using FIAR's lists or any other you like. Keep it simple. Everything else is gravy. repeat that: Everything Else Is Gravy.

BTW, This article talks about OM and Waldorf.

http://oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/oak-meadow-waldorf.php

What I love for phonics is a UK program that takes 10 mins and is VERY effective. It also covers handwriting.

http://www.prometheantrust.org/usshop.htm

This link is to the FREE printable handwriting pages. I have mine doing the first page everyday. we make a game of it with me calling out the letter sound and then they trace that letter.

http://www.prometheantrust.org/handwriting.htm

Edited by Guest

It's more important to match your teaching style than it is to match a child's learning style. A curriculum that gets done is the best one. YOU need to be excited, and raring to go each morning.

Make a list of priorities. For me it is:

Character

skills

knowledge

So this means that following the TWTM history sequence will NOT work for me. History is just tacked on piecemeal when there is empty space in the schedule. For another parent this approach would feel negligent, and they would never devote the time to character building that I think is so important. So be crystal clear about what YOUR priorities are.

I often look for curricula that people complain are too lean and use them as a spine and then supplement with fun stuff. It is so much easier to add than it is to subtract.

I reread Ecclesiastes when I feel confused and stressed about curricula choices.

If SWB writes it, I use it. I've love her curriculum because it is thorough and it works. I've never found it to be 'boring', or as someone else put it, 'assenine'. Seriously? :001_huh:

We're approaching 6th grade, and I've used all the volumes/levels from SOTW, WWE, and FLL. Our school experience has been great because I have the confidence I need to teach BECAUSE the curriculum has been working. My son continues to progress and do well because of the strong foundation he has been given.

I look for curriculum that I feel comfortable teaching. If it makes sense to me, and if I understand the broader picture and understand our overall goals, I know it's going to work for us. TWTM helped me to see the bigger picture. I narrow down my curriculum choices based on recommendations in the book. I'm certain there are other great options that extend past the suggestions from TWTM, but I could drive myself crazy trying to find the 'perfect' curriculum. I do believe that nothing is ever going to suit every single part of your teaching style, or a child's learning style. I also believe I could switch around in an effort to find something that is 'fun' - and end up right back where I started having accomplished nothing at the end of the day.

In the younger years, while a child is learning new skills, a good curriculum may seem repetitive. A child needs repitition and memorization of basic skills. Math programs that are strong are going to drill a child until they are blue in the face with math facts. If it doesn't, I'd toss it. The same goes for grammar. They may be asked to recite a definition of a part of speech over and over, but this is done to make it stick. A child should not need to even think about what the definition means, it should roll off his/her tongue. The same goes for math facts. There are some programs that are misunderstood for exactly the thing that makes them strong!! The very thing that a parent hates is the exact thing that the child NEEDS! It baffles me when I read complaints about repetition. There are certain skills that are needed later on - those are foundational skills. A child that does not go through that 'boring' repetition of math facts, may end up struggling later on because the teacher did not fully understand the importance of it. They label a perfectly strong curriculum as being boring, and then toss it aside. It may be boring, but sometimes boring serves a greater purpose. Math is math, grammar is grammar - how fun can it really be? Math is my son's favorite subject and that is because he's really good at it. He does not hate and despise grammar because he's good at that also. A child may hate something they are not very good at, or something that they struggle with, and often this is because they are not being allowed to get the solid foundation they need.

I look for curriculum that I don't have to plan and that is scripted. I want to grab-and-go, and know at the end of the day my kids are learning and that we accomplished something. I want them to enjoy school and the experience of learning, but in my reality, I'd rather finish school, have some fun along the way, and call it a day. I also believe that if a curriculum is strong, you can tweak it to fit your child's learning style.

My kids have never been allowed to dictate what we use for curriculum. I do my research, and I keep their best interest in mind as I finalize my decisions, but once I purchase something, we use it. I think some kids just don't want to the do the work, and the teacher holds the curriculum responsible - when really it has nothing to do with that at all. I've never had my kids question a curriculum because they don't even know there are other options! They just do it. There are circumstances where a change needs to be made. Sometimes you don't know until you start doing something, that you just can't stand it, or that it's not working. But I think is the exception, and not the rule.

A happy and confident mom/teacher helps create a peaceful atmosphere. So pick curriculum that you can teach with ease.

If SWB writes it, I use it. I've love her curriculum because it is thorough and it works. I've never found it to be 'boring', or as someone else put it, 'assenine'. Seriously? :001_huh:

:iagree: The only reason we're not doing FLL 3/4 is because I really need to separate my boys academically. They are close in age and I started educating them together, but as time goes on I'm finding that I cannot keep them together. We're switching to R&S and DS1 is going on to 3rd grade, while DS2 is repeating 2nd grade. However, I love SWB's curriculum. She's a great writer.

Choosing curriculum is like a Wild Turkey Shoot around here.

I press the Visa Trigger, cross my fingers and hope it wasn't a waste of money.

I always check out what the Hive has to say about a particular curriculum and I'm forever googling siggy's.

Some bits have stuck almost accidentally (like MEP), some came at the recommendation of a friend (CLE), MCT-LA came to our house because many of the people I like on the WTM board like MCT-LA . . . and I like it too, though the writing aspects in Island didn't fascinate my oldest. I like anything by Ellen McHenry because it suits our learning style. I enjoy SWB writing cd's for the different age-stages but I was three years late to the party.

Two years ago, I purchased a vocab program b/c a Hiver "swooned" over it. Sounds like a flighty reason to buy a vocab program but the morphemic approach to words really helped my son's spelling.

My one purchase this year . . . The Lost Tools of Writing. And I confess, I purchased it because a Hiver said it helped her become a better thinker and therefore a better teacher and it was well worth the slog to learn how to teach thinking skills. Ok. My one teacher treat for the upcoming year!

There is no rhyme nor reason about why I buy what I do . . . we have a bit of flexibility with curriculum purchases and I enjoy self-educating, in some subjects, sometimes.

Warmly, Tricia

If you have lots of kids - consider curriculum that teaches the same subjects to all the kids, just at different levels. Tapestry of Grace and God's Design for... are designed this way. The obvious benefit is efficiency in planning...the not-so-obvious benefit is the ability to plan family activities to teach the same subject matter to all the kids (museum visits, vacations, etc.).

We're approaching 6th grade, and I've used all the volumes/levels from SOTW, WWE, and FLL. Our school experience has been great because I have the confidence I need to teach BECAUSE the curriculum has been working. My son continues to progress and do well because of the strong foundation he has been given.

I look for curriculum that I feel comfortable teaching. If it makes sense to me, and if I understand the broader picture and understand our overall goals, I know it's going to work for us. TWTM helped me to see the bigger picture. I narrow down my curriculum choices based on recommendations in the book. I'm certain there are other great options that extend past the suggestions from TWTM, but I could drive myself crazy trying to find the 'perfect' curriculum. I do believe that nothing is ever going to suit every single part of your teaching style, or a child's learning style. I also believe I could switch around in an effort to find something that is 'fun' - and end up right back where I started having accomplished nothing at the end of the day.

In the younger years, while a child is learning new skills, a good curriculum may seem repetitive. A child needs repitition and memorization of basic skills. Math programs that are strong are going to drill a child until they are blue in the face with math facts. If it doesn't, I'd toss it. The same goes for grammar. They may be asked to recite a definition of a part of speech over and over, but this is done to make it stick. A child should not need to even think about what the definition means, it should roll off his/her tongue. The same goes for math facts. There are some programs that are misunderstood for exactly the thing that makes them strong!! The very thing that a parent hates is the exact thing that the child NEEDS! It baffles me when I read complaints about repetition. There are certain skills that are needed later on - those are foundational skills. A child that does not go through that 'boring' repetition of math facts, may end up struggling later on because the teacher did not fully understand the importance of it. They label a perfectly strong curriculum as being boring, and then toss it aside. It may be boring, but sometimes boring serves a greater purpose. Math is math, grammar is grammar - how fun can it really be? Math is my son's favorite subject and that is because he's really good at it. He does not hate and despise grammar because he's good at that also. A child may hate something they are not very good at, or something that they struggle with, and often this is because they are not being allowed to get the solid foundation they need.

I look for curriculum that I don't have to plan and that is scripted. I want to grab-and-go, and know at the end of the day my kids are learning and that we accomplished something. I want them to enjoy school and the experience of learning, but in my reality, I'd rather finish school, have some fun along the way, and call it a day. I also believe that if a curriculum is strong, you can tweak it to fit your child's learning style.

My kids have never been allowed to dictate what we use for curriculum. I do my research, and I keep their best interest in mind as I finalize my decisions, but once I purchase something, we use it. I think some kids just don't want to the do the work, and the teacher holds the curriculum responsible - when really it has nothing to do with that at all. I've never had my kids question a curriculum because they don't even know there are other options! They just do it. There are circumstances where a change needs to be made. Sometimes you don't know until you start doing something, that you just can't stand it, or that it's not working. But I think is the exception, and not the rule.

A happy and confident mom/teacher helps create a peaceful atmosphere. So pick curriculum that you can teach with ease.

:iagree::iagree:

It's more important to match your teaching style than it is to match a child's learning style. A curriculum that gets done is the best one. YOU need to be excited, and raring to go each morning.

:iagree: I was drawn to literature-based curricula from the begining of our homeschool journey. It just resonated with me. I initially tried some hands on science, but I have since learned that I am not a hands on kind of gal. So I outsource science to a co op, and the kids do hands on there. Also, though I never studied history much nor did I have a "love" of it, our spine, the readers and the literature read alouds are all based on the historical period we are studying. (Sonlight Cores) We all love it. Go figure.

Also, I wanted math to be conceptual and grammar to be straightforward and thorough. SWB's philosophies about writing resonate with me, as well. You can see our curriculum choices in my siggie.

I would suggest you try mapping out how much time you are going to have in your day first.

Can your olders help your youngers?

I like OM. will you make the time for drawing and some weekly outdoor time. Do you value drawing? I love the main lesson books with the younger set. It is a wonderful keepsake.

Do you like to read aloud? Sonlight is a lot of reading and discussing aloud.

Have you read TWTM?

We are really enjoying the Queens Language Lessons for independent work. They are easy, beautiful and expose children to a nice variety of art, poetry and language arts while you are tired. I love having them for when I want them to work but I am busy nursing or teaching another child.

Teaching Textbooks is awesome for Math.

I love purchasing Science Kits. Delta nutshell are my favorites. There is enough stuff for three people, journals and a simple teaching guide. We can pull it out and put it away rather easy.

I am educating my children, but I have no prior experience in education and would not consider myself an "educator" outside of homeschooling...I agree with what I have read in WTM (and I read the entire book) and have no problems trusting their recommendations...If I find something I like that fits the bill (like Elemental Science) I will use it...But if SWB wrote it, we will use it unless it is a subject matter we don't need at the time...

This. And there are certain members whose post I pay close attention either because our children seem somewhat similar or I know we've both had success with certain programs.

Hunter, great post! Can you tell what you did for character building?

Make a list of priorities. For me it is:

Character

skills

knowledge

So this means that following the TWTM history sequence will NOT work for me. History is just tacked on piecemeal when there is empty space in the schedule. For another parent this approach would feel negligent, and they would never devote the time to character building that I think is so important. So be crystal clear about what YOUR priorities are.

I often look for curricula that people complain are too lean and use them as a spine and then supplement with fun stuff. It is so much easier to add than it is to subtract.

I reread Ecclesiastes when I feel confused and stressed about curricula choices.

We have four girls too!

I think it is a bit easier to start at ground zero than it is to jump in in the later grades. Of course, I've never done the latter, it's just that when you start from the ground up, you intimately know where each of your children is at. :) Either way, there is trial and error involved. You really need to get our feet wet and actually TRY different methods etc. to find what will work for your family. There are things I was SURE I'd love that just haven't flown for us. There are other things where I thought - nah, we're not that kind of family - only to find that those resources actually met our needs the best!

That being said - if your children like reading, I'd check out Sonlight's high school cores for your older children - they can be done pretty much independently. It is all pre-planned, open-and-go, so it's a great lit-based choice to get started with.

For your younger children (anyone who doesn't have a solid foundation in basic academic skills - reading, spelling, basic grammar, basic writing, basic math etc.) start there. Don't even worry about content this first year! Just do some bedtime read alouds, it will work, I've done it!

Since you specifically asked about reading, A Beka is a good choice. I agree with a previous poster, you don't need all the 'stuff'. I taught my oldest daughter to read using A Handbook for Reading and their leveled readers, you don't need anything else :).

AND - use the Hive. This place is fantastic! Once you start to narrow your choices down, and when you have a better understanding of what you are looking for, list your requirements and people will gladly recommend some choices for you to research further :). I have found some great solutions for our family here :).

Have fun!