Menu

Beginning readers that aren't "babyish?"

Wabi Sabi

My 6.5 y/o kindergartner ds is a very beginning reader. We've recently been reading our way through some of the books on the Sonlight first grade list (lots of Dr. Suess) but he really just isn't interested in the books at all. They're boring stories to him and babyish.

Books such as the Biscuit series and Dr. Suess are a good level for him but they're just too juvenile. We've tried Henry and Mudge and it's a little better, but still not really his thing (and a tad bit advanced for him, but still doable.)

He LOVES the Magic Tree House books and is very motivated to read them. He tries his best but truthfully they're just too hard for him. I also have some Stink and Commander Toad in Space on reserve at the library. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm suspecting that they still might be just a tiny bit too hard for him. He really needs something with no more than a couple sentences per page and larger type (again, think Biscuit or Dr. Suess.)

Suggestions for other series, books or particular authors? Thanks.

Your son might consider them "babyish," but my son LOVES the Elephant & Piggie books, probably because 1) they're funny and 2) we take turns being each character when we read them.

My son was a really strong reader but hated reading aloud and just never wanted to do it. At this point I don't make him read aloud to me any more, but in kindergarten and first grade I did want him to read aloud to me at least sometimes, and Elephant & Piggie were the only ones he was always eager to read.

I second the Poppleton recommendation, too. My son loved those.

I was going to suggest Frog and Toad as well to answer your direct question. He might find Nate the Great interesting and fun but its a bit higher in level as well.

That said - I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead and read the higher level books with him at that age. The best thing I did for my daughter when she was six - was work through Charlotte's Web with her. Each day she read just enough to give her practice and not get frustrated and then I would read the reminder of the chapter. By the time we finished she had improved so much in her reading ability.

My son really liked these:

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?series=2381M

One of the main draws for him was that there was often a "bad guy" or a troublesome sort of character causing mischief! Like one of them had a man with a gun chasing a pig or something. Or a tin can would get stuck on someone, etc. They seemed to me that they would especially appeal to boys. I also thought it was a great phonics program - they have several sets (levels) as well as workbooks to go with them.

As I recall, they are just sort of paper books with black and white drawings, but he really liked them. He was at school and each day they brought a book home. These were definitely his favorite of all he read during the year.

I also suggest the We Both Read series. There are several levels and I know that my son enjoyed that I read along with him. We still read them together and he is in 2nd grade. The level 3 is more of a chapter book type of level.

The same son has also enjoyed the Pathway readers, and didn't consider them babyish.

I struggled with that same problem this past year with my son, too. Everything on his reading level was too babyish! It's a struggle until they get over the hump and are ready for Boxcar Children. These were already mentioned, but I'm casting my vote for the Frog and Toad books and also the Mr. Putter and Tabby books. Those were his favorites. Also another one I was surprised he was able to read and enjoy early was My Father's Dragon.

The best 'readers' I have found that move forward in a incremental way are the McGuffy's Readers. I love them. *love*. Good reading, with harder words each chapter and not twaddle. They have served my children better than any other readers I've bought.

Seconding some of the suggestions - Elephant and Piggie makes *me* laugh, so they are most assuredly not babyish. Fly Guy is another that is really good and not babyish.

If he's still working through Seuss, he might or might not be ready for Poppleton or Rylant's other two series, The High Rise Private Eyes or Mr. Putter and Tabby, which are all great.

I did this list for my blog of early readers for boys not too long ago.

The one I would add is Ricky Ricotta's Giant Robot by Dav Pilkey, which is formatted like a chapter book but isn't *that* much harder than an early reader. Another one I mentioned was Andy Griffiths's two books - The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow and The Cat on the Mat is Flat. Both of those are really easy, but the formatting makes them look like chapter books instead of easy readers. It's clever marketing.

The best 'readers' I have found that move forward in a incremental way are the McGuffy's Readers. I love them. *love*. Good reading, with harder words each chapter and not twaddle. They have served my children better than any other readers I've bought.

I agree with this. McGuffey readers are also a mini history lesson in each page. I think these are the best!:D

Another one I mentioned was Andy Griffiths's two books - The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow and The Cat on the Mat is Flat. Both of those are really easy, but the formatting makes them look like chapter books instead of easy readers. It's clever marketing.

Those look perfect- ordering on Amazon right now. The author has another books titled The Day my Butt Went Psycho. Sigh. Sounds right up my ds's alley, LOL. Literary he is not. :tongue_smilie:

I struggled with that same problem this past year with my son, too. Everything on his reading level was too babyish! It's a struggle until they get over the hump and are ready for Boxcar Children. These were already mentioned, but I'm casting my vote for the Frog and Toad books and also the Mr. Putter and Tabby books. Those were his favorites. Also another one I was surprised he was able to read and enjoy early was My Father's Dragon.

My son also loves Frog and Toad, but those are definitely far above Dr. Seuss and books with a few words per page. I think they are around reading level 1.7 and up. At least the ones my first grader brings home.

Also another one I was surprised he was able to read and enjoy early was My Father's Dragon.

Ok, I am a bit confused. I was excited to see that My Father's Dragon might be a beginning reader, but looked it up and it is reading level 5.6. Is there another version for beginners? I'd love to get this for my son.

Ok, I am a bit confused. I was excited to see that My Father's Dragon might be a beginning reader, but looked it up and it is reading level 5.6. Is there another version for beginners? I'd love to get this for my son.

I checked it out from the library after seeing it mentioned on a first grade reading post. When I got it home and looked at it, it did seem too advanced because it is long and there were so many words on a page. But I decided to give it to my son anyway just to see. And he read, understood, and enjoyed it. I think the language is simple enough for early readers, it just looks intimidating because it is a "real" chapter book.