Menu

Rit Dye

I'm about to go in. What do I need to know?

Here's the situation: years ago, I thought it would be so "clean" & "lovely" to have all white linens. That was fine before kids.

It would still be fine if we could tell which ones were twin & which ones were queen w/out unfolding every. blasted. one.

So I'm dying half the twin sheets green & half pink. I've never done this before. Mom says it's no big deal, but I don't trust her. She clipped coupons while she was giving birth. :lol:

Yep, no big deal. Dd wanted all pink undies so we bought some RIT and dyed them in a bucket. Can't remember all the details, just that we used a stick to stir the clothing into the dye and dumped the remaining dye in the yard. Just follow the directions on the package. :001_smile:

If the sheets are new you should wash them first to remove the sizing so the dye takes better.

Wear gloves. If you think this is optional, the evidence will last at least a week. :D

The actual dying part isn't that hard, just follow the directions and make sure whatever bucket/basin you're using will be big enough before you fill it. Consider where you'll dry it, too.

RIT dye washes back out over time. A little will come out each time you wash. If you want permanent dye, buy fiber reactive dye from Dharma Trading Company. You wet the fabric in soda ash solution first, then the dye reacts into the fabric. Then you finish it with a dye fixative. A little excess comes out the first time you wash it, but never again.

Here's the situation: years ago, I thought it would be so "clean" & "lovely" to have all white linens. That was fine before kids.

It would still be fine if we could tell which ones were twin & which ones were queen w/out unfolding every. blasted. one.

So I'm dying half the twin sheets green & half pink. I've never done this before. Mom says it's no big deal, but I don't trust her. She clipped coupons while she was giving birth. :lol:

You need to know that if they are not 100% cotton, it may not work. Try a pillowcase before you do a whole set.

Good luck--and happy dyeing! It can be fun.

Oh, and if you have not already bought dyes, consider Jacquard dyes (You can get them at most Jo Ann Fabrics) or Procion dyes (from dharmatrading.com).

I have used the washer/dryer method. All of the dye will not come out of the washer and dryer in the first load though. SO if you are dying pink, you want to follow up with a load of red or pink clothes and then maybe run a load of towels that you are particular about the color of. Same with green. Yes, the colors will fade a bit over time. I personally don't mind the timeworn look but if you want to keep them vibrant you can just redye again later or I believe that there is a way to fix with salt but I don't remember that right off the top of my head.

I have used the washer/dryer method. All of the dye will not come out of the washer and dryer in the first load though. SO if you are dying pink, you want to follow up with a load of red or pink clothes and then maybe run a load of towels that you are particular about the color of. Same with green. Yes, the colors will fade a bit over time. I personally don't mind the timeworn look but if you want to keep them vibrant you can just redye again later or I believe that there is a way to fix with salt but I don't remember that right off the top of my head.

Oh, ok, good. All of the laundry in the house is dirty, so I'll just plan accordingly. And I've got some faded green towels that should be perfect to follow the green load.

I'll just have to make sure I do it when I have my full capacity to remember things. :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How about Tuesday Morning, Marshalls, etc. for cheap new sets??

I don't think the dye is color fast, which will be a pain.

2 boxes of dye: $3

New sheets for 2 beds: I'd be surprised to get them for $10, esp as many sets as we have.

This isn't meant to be stunningly beautiful, just to tell them apart from the queen sheets they've eaten.

I was worried you were going to use it on your hair.

:glare:

:lol: When I met Texasmama the other day, she recognized me immediately: I told her on the phone I was rounder than my board pic, plus I'd cut & bleached my own hair, & it was a disaster ala Sesame Street monsters (on good days--the rest of the time, I look like a washed-up cat or a...nevermind).

:glare:

:lol: When I met Texasmama the other day, she recognized me immediately: I told her on the phone I was rounder than my board pic, plus I'd cut & bleached my own hair, & it was a disaster ala Sesame Street monsters (on good days--the rest of the time, I look like a washed-up cat or a...nevermind).

I don't believe it! I'm sure you look like a beautiful princess !

I'm going with Susan C. on this one: buy new sheets. Or store the sheets in large ziplock bags marked "twin," or clip a clothes pin or safety pin onto the twin sizes (just fold them, and then put the clip or pin on). Or just use the same set of sheets, wash 'em and put 'em back on the bed the same day, that saves folding as well.

Do you really want a Rit dye story to tell on the board? :lol:

Wait--what do y'all mean, 'bucket to dye it in'? Mom just did it in the washing machine.

And where will I dry it? Well...she used the dryer. :confused:

I have a front loader so I thought the bucket method would work better for me. ;) I'm pretty sure I rinsed it in the washer and then just tossed it in the dryer without any problems.

BTW the color of dd's undies hasn't faded. But with the bucket method I had to bring a pot of water to near boiling before mixing with the dye. I wonder if the hotter temp allowed the dye to bond better?

Guest Katia

Aubrey, using Rit dye is not hard, but it is not permanent. Each time you wash it, some will fade away.

However, that doesn't really matter if all you need is a way to tell the sheets apart. I have dyed items such as curtains, draperies, and shower curtains, as well as clothing with very good results. Even the items that are poly/cotton mix have turned out nice.

So, I fill the washing machine half way with hot water. Then, I add the Rit dye. If your items are not all cotton, you will need to use two boxes of dye per load. Next, add the dye, then finish filling the washing machine.

When it's full, add your items. Don't overload the machine. Only add what you would normally add for a load of wash.

Let it run through it's wash cycle, and then re-set it to run through again before the water drains out. OR, after it has run through half of it's wash cycle, stop it and let it set in the hot water for 30 minutes. Then, turn it back on and let it finish. That extra time will let the dye set better and it will also be darker (which lasts longer).

When the cycle is finished, just pull out the dyed items and put them in the dryer.

If you are going to color more items WITH THE SAME COLOR, you just repeat the above steps. If you are planning to use a different color, or want to do regular laundry, then next thing you HAVE to do is run an extra-large cycle with NO CLOTHING of any kind in the machine (in other words; run and empty load) and instead of detergent, use 2 cups of bleach.

This has always cleaned out any of the remaining dye for me with no problems.

Have fun! I love dying things:-) It sure saves on the spending!!

If you want permanent dye, buy fiber reactive dye from Dharma Trading Company.

Dharma rocks the dye world. So, so much better than RIT. And so many color choices.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/

As a previous poster said, if your sheets aren't 100% cotton, they won't dye as well - they will be more pastel. If you do use RIT, make sure you have enough for the amount of sheets you have.

Enjoy your experiment! Tell us how it goes!

have you considered Tie dying them?

Me and the kids did this and it was FUN!

We've not had fading issues, but then tie dye is supposed to have color variations.

I did it on the stove in a large pot of hot water. (I was too scared to mess up my washer.)

We've not had fading issues, but then tie dye is supposed to have color variations.

I did it on the stove in a large pot of hot water. (I was too scared to mess up my washer.)

What a cute idea!

DS made a tie dye shirt at his Friday co-op last week. He will get it this Friday. Do I always need to wash that shirt separately or can it go in the dark or medium load?

I love white linens...

To keep them sorted, and know which end is the top vs. bottom; stencil, cross stitch, embroider, or use a permanent marker on a corner. You can be very decorative if inclined.:D.

Our experience with the dyeing fabric was a disappointment due to super fading. It was fun, but didn't last. There must be a trick to setting they dye.

DS made a tie dye shirt at his Friday co-op last week. He will get it this Friday. Do I always need to wash that shirt separately or can it go in the dark or medium load?

You won't *always* have to wash separately, but you will want to keep it separate for the first one or two washings until the dye has stopped bleeding.

You won't *always* have to wash separately, but you will want to keep it separate for the first one or two washings until the dye has stopped bleeding.

I knew I would never remember to do this, so I washed ours several times in a row right away.

Our experience with the dyeing fabric was a disappointment due to super fading. It was fun, but didn't last. There must be a trick to setting they dye.

The trick is to use fiber reactive dyes, not RIT, and finish with a dye fixative. Dharma sells all of this stuff.

To make it even more complicated...:D

Hang the sheets outside. Strip down the kiddos, give them each a spray bottle, and let them spray the sheets with the dye water.

Caveat--they have to promise not to spray each other. First one who does misses the rest of the fun.

Give the 2yo a spray bottle full of water.

Let them at it for about 2 minutes--longer and they won't be able to resist spraying each other. THen say OK--Wasn'tthatfunthat'senoughnoweveryonegetsto runthruthesprinkler said very fast and brightly.

Let the sheets dry without kiddos around--maybe set up the sprinkler in the front yard and just have it going already when you start, to give yourself time to scoot them out of the area.

First time you wash them, do them separately on hot to get the "loose" dye out--they will fade to a nice, well, faded color.

There now, wasn't that fun?:D:lol:

Oh, ok, good. All of the laundry in the house is dirty, so I'll just plan accordingly. :blink:

:lol: Now I know what to say next time DH asks where all his clean pants are- "Don't worry! I'm just saving up the laundry to practice tie dying, sweetie." :lol::lol:

Aubrey, using Rit dye is not hard, but it is not permanent. Each time you wash it, some will fade away.

However, that doesn't really matter if all you need is a way to tell the sheets apart. I have dyed items such as curtains, draperies, and shower curtains, as well as clothing with very good results. Even the items that are poly/cotton mix have turned out nice.

So, I fill the washing machine half way with hot water. Then, I add the Rit dye. If your items are not all cotton, you will need to use two boxes of dye per load. Next, add the dye, then finish filling the washing machine.

When it's full, add your items. Don't overload the machine. Only add what you would normally add for a load of wash.

Let it run through it's wash cycle, and then re-set it to run through again before the water drains out. OR, after it has run through half of it's wash cycle, stop it and let it set in the hot water for 30 minutes. Then, turn it back on and let it finish. That extra time will let the dye set better and it will also be darker (which lasts longer).

Shoot. The water drained sooner than I expected it to. Well. I guess the pink load will be light pink. :glare:

Ds brought in a box of flowers from the front porch part way in; I was completely distracted. Tulips. My favorite. And chocolate. Why on earth would anyone send me flowers today?

An early Mother's Day gift?

Well...except they're from my mom, who never sends *me* Mother's Day gifts. She sent flowers when dd #3 was born & again when I got my first book contract. Now...I think she's just gotten slap-happy w/ the "send flowers" button. :lol:

Really, she'd never sent anyone flowers before '07. But I think she likes it.