Menu

Is anyone else here also afraid to try to learn Latin themselves?

Luanne

If you start with your children, you will be fine. You don't need to learn ahead of them, and it can be great fun to learn something alongside your kids .

I am still intimidated with proper, real Latin, but I can manage my kids' Latin just fine.

I met a librarian who taught Latin in school for many years. She told me that I would do fine because so many English words were derived from Latin. And, she was right...I actually found it easier than my son because I could remember so much of the vocabulary by the English words that were derived from the Latin words.

I took my son through Minimus, and Matin Latin 1 & 2. He's now doing Oxford Latin with a tutor.

Jump in. The water's fine :D

I am sure this has been answered before but for those of us who are totally freaked out about the prospect of teaching Latin...what is the most painless,teacher(which is me and that' why I am so nervous!!...) friendly curriculum for those of us out there ready to give it a try?

I used Matin Latin 1 & 2 starting in 5th grade. We worked 2 days/wk, but the last few months of ML2, we worked 3 days/wk. It is marketed for homeschool teachers who have no Latin education. You can see my review in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7599&highlight=matin+latin

Latin Prep from Galore Park is a newer, popular program. I think it is suitable for 6th grade and up. Search the forums for lots of information.

Oh, I am!

We're doing it, but sometimes I'm afraid to turn the page for fear of what I might find there. I look at the charts of word endings and my head spins.

A suggestion -- I found a copy of BJUP's Latin 1 text, and started reading through it. It's not what I'm using with my son, and I never see anyone on this board recommend it; but it's really readable, and great for self-teaching. Unfortunately, I don't have the TM or any pronunciation audio (both would help a lot); but I've learned a lot just with what I've got.

The book is written like a script. The teacher says this, the student asks that, the teacher answers, another students contributes something, the teacher explains. Very readable.

Another suggestion: Veritas Press is doing an online Latin seminar in July. Here's the link: http://resources.veritaspress.com/TeacherTraining/Inaweek_Info.html I'm a little bit afraid to try that though because they're using Wheelock, and they're going to move fast.

Last summer, I took Latin for Teachers from the people who publish Latin for Children. It was well taught, and I'm glad I took it; but most of it went right over my head. They're doing it again this summer. I wish I could do it again this year. I'd get more out of it the second time around. Here's a link: http://www.prismnet.com/~aslan/latin/

And, finally, the Cambridge people do a teacher training seminar. Here's there link: http://www.cambridgelatin.org/workshops.html This seminar moves around and they only post the very next one on the website; so you have to check back every once in a while to see if it's going to be offered near you.

I am so afraid I am going to fail at this that I haven't even had the courage to try. :001_unsure:

When my son was six, I took one look at Matin Latin and immediately began having trouble breathing. It was not until I had Lively Latin in my hands that I realize Latin was doable.

It turns out it's not so hard. It's true that I have more English than they do, so I can deduce the meaning of the Latin in most cases. However, they, being children, can memorize things much more quickly than I can. So it balances out.

The kids do great with their worktext. Me, I find myself needing to remind the kids daily, "Mater sum. Rose sum," and use what other bits of conversational Latin I have. I sound like an idiot, but I just need to say it, take it slowly, use what I have. I can understand much more than I can speak or write, and if I listen to it daily, I understand more, because, heck, there's a lot of English in there just waiting for my ear to get the ticket.

If it keeps up like this, with me all immersed and needing to speak it, by the time my two-year-old is ten, we'll be a Latin only household. Wouldn't that be cool? And freak out the neighbors?

You can do it.

Getting Started with Latin by William Linney is the easiest program out there. Honestly, anyone who can read can do it. The beginning lessons consist of learning one word, and then the next lesson a new word until you are stringing them together in snetences. It builds slowly but surely. It is also probably the cheapest program out there. It can be had for less than $20 on Amazon. You can also find tons of reviews for it there.

Lively Latin is also a great program though definitely more expensive. I find that I am really enjoying it though and finding it very easy to understand. I did a whole chapter today. I don't know if I will be able to keep up this pace but even if I slow down I am sure I will pick up a lot in a short period of time. Finally this really helps with English grammar as well.

When I am done with these two I plan to move on to Galore Park's Latin Prep. You can do this. Start small and move at your own pace. I am finding it easier than algebra. :)

I haven't worked with some of the other curriculums that were mentioned by others, but I have worked with both Wheelock's and Henle. I've been working on learning Latin for about 4 years now.

My first attempt as an adult was with Wheelock's. My grammar knowledge was not strong enough nor was I able to master the wider vocabulary with that method--I needed more exercises to master the material than I found in the book. I think there are other resources for that, but I didn't find them, then.

However, as I've taught the Latina Christina series and then moved on to teaching homeschoolers with the Henle books, I have found more success in mastering Latin. Fr. Henle has a lovely way of re-introducing the SAME vocabulary or concepts over and over in a way that makes it easy to remember. The limited vocabulary really helps me, too. Unfortunately, if you just pick up a Henle book and look at it, you will be unable to see those good things about it. It requires working in it to see those advantages.

Anecdotally, I have a friend whose 7th grader started Wheelock's in the fall. Her mother switched her to Henle halfway through the year because of the self-teaching nature of Henle.

So, I recommend Henle--and a lot of chanting!

I had a couple of years of Latin in high school. We focused on a lot of vocabulary, derivatives, Roman history, etc. We didn't do much grammar, so I was afraid of that myself. What I found out is that by teaching it to the kids, I have learned it right along with them. I would agree with other posters--you homeschool--teach it to your kids and you'll learn it too.

We have successfully used Latina Christiana as it doesn't assume any prior knowledge on the teacher's part.

Hi-

I knew no Latin at all when we started with Latina Christiana I (and we're just finishing LC II)! But I bought the entire set - TE, student workbook, flashcards, pronounciation CD and ..........best of the all the DVDs. These DVDs teach the entire lesson - step-by-step with review and more so you can learn along with your kids and not even have to do any preparation! It made learning Latin so "doable" for myself and my two boys (11 and 13).

I just keep reminding myself it can't be as difficult as Polish, which I made A's in on two semesters in college. I mean, there are only six cases in Latin, not seven. And a whole lot more cognates, with either English or Spanish, which I've also studied. And no articles to worry about.