Menu

Stories involving dogs or wolves, and American historical fiction

Greta

My daughter dearly loves dogs and wolves. She's currently reading The Captain's Dog, which is a story about the Lewis and Clark expedition told through the eyes of the dog Seaman that journeys with them. This is the most excited she's been about reading in a long time. I'd like to find more books for her where the story is told from the perspective of a dog or wolf (I'm thinking Jack London) or that are at least about dogs or wolves (all I've got is Where the Red Fern Grows).

She's also really enjoying the American History aspect of it, and wants more fiction about our country's past. We've already done the Little House on the Prairie thing. What else?

Oh, she's 11 years old, and pretty much reads on grade level. But if something would push her a bit, that's great too.

Any ideas?

The ones that first spring to mind are:

Julie of the Wolves

Julie's Wolf Pack

Also:

Shiloh

Because of Winn-Dixie

There's also these, but they have sad endings:

Sounder

Old Yeller

And you could always have her read the Jack London books. My older dds read them at about that age.

The ones that first spring to mind are:

Julie of the Wolves

Julie's Wolf Pack

Also:

Shiloh

Because of Winn-Dixie

There's also these, but they have sad endings:

Sounder

Old Yeller

Great, thank you! Yeah, Where the Red Fern Grows also has a pretty sad ending as I recall (I was in either 3rd or 5th when my ps teacher read it aloud to us - all of the girls were crying!). I'll definitely warn her of that before she reads any of those, because she is a very sensitive child.

Thanks again!

Wild Animals I Have Known by ?? Seton has stories of wolves, *however* they are really, really sad, so I would pre-read. I made the mistake of reading aloud one of the stories and we were all so sad and the kids were so upset after we finished it.

I just wanted to put that warning out there if anyone suggested it, you and your daughter wouldn't be caught unaware!

Wild Animals I Have Known by ?? Seton has stories of wolves, *however* they are really, really sad, so I would pre-read. I made the mistake of reading aloud one of the stories and we were all so sad and the kids were so upset after we finished it.

I just wanted to put that warning out there if anyone suggested it, you and your daughter wouldn't be caught unaware!

Yes, I always appreciate these kinds of warnings. Thanks!

There are two sub-plots in Callico Bush involving dogs. (Both have happy endings, IMO.)

This one takes place in Alaska with a boy & his dog, but it, too, is incredibly sad at the end:

Stone Fox by John Gardiner

This one is really short & below your dd's reading level, but worth checking out from the library.

My girls like horses, so I don't normally concentrate on dog stories. Doesn't Kaya have a dog in the American Girl books? (Also below your dd's reading level.)

We enjoyed the whole Shiloh series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.

A friend of mine recently said her kids really enjoyed Big Red by Jim Kjelgaard. I haven't read it, but I think she said the dog actually lives.

Yes, the dog lives. :-)

There are two or three in the series, all of which I read back in the day.