Menu

If you've read One Thousand Gifts....

How did you feel about the last chapter, chapter 11? :tongue_smilie: I didn't realize it was so controversial but when I read it myself, I was a bit confused with what she was doing with words but really didn't think too much if it. Now, I am and it bothers me. Especially since we are going to use it in a Bible Study group. I'm leading it and will definitely use the Bible/scripture more and make sure people know ahead of time that chapter may seem a bit out there. Thoughts?

I love the book right up until the last chapter. I didn't care for that analogy. Shiver. But I've heard it before so while it made me really uncomfortable, I didn't lose sleep over it.

I know it has stirred up some controversy though.

I just have to admit that I didn't like the book. I just couldn't get into her writing style (and yes I should have realized it from reading her blog). I ordered and returned to Amazon without finishing it. Now I am wondering about the last chapter.:D

*spoiler alert*

"...The intercourse of soul with God is the very climax of joy..." :ack2:

I skipped ahead, and feel very cheated by this chapter. This seems on such a 'base' level, especially coming from someone who I had assumed was so spiritually mature. I think she got way off on a limb, trying to...well, I honestly don't know WHAT she was trying to do! Thanks for the warning.

See, I've never heard it that way before and it was a surprise for me. At first glance, I just was like, what?- but just really liked the rest of the book so much I didn't dwell on it. Now, since I'm leading a study with it, it concerns me because I don't want to offend anyone or cause someone to think ill of what we are looking at. Ugh! I think I'm going to try to ignore the last chapter. Lol.

Most of the book really spoke to me, and I got a lot out of it. Personally, I wasn't thrilled with the last chapter, but wouldn't throw out the whole book because of it. Could you conveniently "run out of time" in the study before getting to the last chapter? :D

It ruined the book for me. I stopped reading. Way over the top, and disappointing.

To be fair, I wasn't loving it anyway. I think she is gifted with words but I think she lacks self-discipline in using her gift. She is like a chef with access to a plethora of wonderful herbs and spices who throws in way too much of too many! She uses nouns as verbs, and vice versa (which is fine occasionally, but I find it way overdone). She'll use 3 different word pictures/metaphors in one or two sentences. There were times I would have to reread things twice and then still not "get" what she was trying to say. I'd just move on.

Voskamp has some brilliant insights, beautiful language, and strikingly honest stories. She captures real life well. But in terms of connecting the dots for her reader, I think Voskamp has a ways to go.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off. I guess I just feel like this book has been so hyped and I honestly don't think it's the brilliant spiritual work it's touted to be. I have liked her blog in years past but I feel like she is now laboring under some pressure to be unspeakably deep every. single. day.

I have to agree with Janie Grace. I don't know that it ruined it for me, persay, but I totally agree that the flowery prose sometimes gets to me. I have a friend who does a blog in a similar style of writing and sometimes I want to shout, "Just SAY what you mean, already!" We don't need every sentence to be so descriptive. Sometimes, it just feels strained.

Yes, the last chapter was uncomfortable for me to read. I have heard of others using that analogy before, but...well...it doesn't necessarily make it right or the best thing, KWIM?

I would be tempted to skip it, also, BUT how do you deal with the women who are going to have read the last chapter and have questions for you about it? I guess you'll cross the bridge when/if it comes to that, right? :001_smile:

It ruined the book for me. I stopped reading. Way over the top, and disappointing.

To be fair, I wasn't loving it anyway. I think she is gifted with words but I think she lacks self-discipline in using her gift. She is like a chef with access to a plethora of wonderful herbs and spices who throws in way too much of too many! She uses nouns as verbs, and vice versa (which is fine occasionally, but I find it way overdone). She'll use 3 different word pictures/metaphors in one or two sentences. There were times I would have to reread things twice and then still not "get" what she was trying to say. I'd just move on.

Voskamp has some brilliant insights, beautiful language, and strikingly honest stories. She captures real life well. But in terms of connecting the dots for her reader, I think Voskamp has a ways to go.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off. I guess I just feel like this book has been so hyped and I honestly don't think it's the brilliant spiritual work it's touted to be. I have liked her blog in years past but I feel like she is now laboring under some pressure to be unspeakably deep every. single. day.

:iagree:

I *liked* the book. It was just ok for me, for all the reasons listed above. I think she needs a better editor. And honestly, I don't know if it's because I was tired, or just glad to be done with the book, but the last chapter just went right over my head. :tongue_smilie: I gave it to my MIL to read, because I think she'd like it. Now I'm worried about what she'll think of the last chapter.

:iagree: I admittedly skim read the book after the first couple of chapters. I felt like I was drowning in adjectives and choking in metaphors. Her descriptive language became a distraction from the narrative.

I also found that chapter to be offensive.

I think photo narration is her true gift. That lady takes some AMAZING photos.

I wonder if as the reader, we need to change our perspective on the "intimate" moments between husband and wife. Instead of looking at it in a "worldly" manner, look at it from a Godly perspective.

Just a thought.

I am still processing things here and wanted to throw that out there.

:iagree: You read my mind!

(I might actually go a little further and call the writing 'sloppy' and 'self-important'. :auto: )

I wonder if as the reader, we need to change our perspective on the "intimate" moments between husband and wife. Instead of looking at it in a "worldly" manner, look at it from a Godly perspective.

Just a thought.

I am still processing things here and wanted to throw that out there.

I think this would help.

So rather, it's a spiritual connection? She really didn't mean what we think it is supposed to mean?

:lol: I think I stirred the pot!

Also, yes, the word usage is interesting, and I can see how it could be frustrating to some. I do love this book still, despite these issues, and somehow God used what was written to touch my heart. It propelled me back into a closer relationship to him, and has helped me gain more understanding with scripture as I read it.

I have to agree with Janie Grace. I don't know that it ruined it for me, persay, but I totally agree that the flowery prose sometimes gets to me. I have a friend who does a blog in a similar style of writing and sometimes I want to shout, "Just SAY what you mean, already!" We don't need every sentence to be so descriptive. Sometimes, it just feels strained.

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've tried so many times to be a regular reader of her blog, but I just can't take the style of writing. A good friend of mine has changed her blog to more of that style and it drives me crazy. I used to love her blog for the very practical nature of it. I barely read it anymore.

It sounds like just based on the writing style I wouldn't like this book.

Oh, another thought I had was is: if she is using metaphorical images here, and we don't take it as such and get upset, how does that compare to the imagery of communion? Bread and wine, body and blood? If we don't take it as such, we are cannibals! Right? ( ok, it's a stretch but something that crossed my mind anyways!).

(I'm driving myself nuts with this chapter! Lol!)

I think this would help.

So rather, it's a spiritual connection? She really didn't mean what we think it is supposed to mean?

:lol: I think I stirred the pot!

Also, yes, the word usage is interesting, and I can see how it could be frustrating to some. I do love this book still, despite these issues, and somehow God used what was written to touch my heart. It propelled me back into a closer relationship to him, and has helped me gain more understanding with scripture as I read it.

I am usually the one who starts stirring pots. :D

But I have to agree with you that God touched me and gave me a new perspective on my relationship with the LORD.

Our relationship with the LORD SHOULD be raw. It should be REAL, just as in any other relationship we have with other here on earth, but MORE RAW, MORE REAL.

Okay... let me process some more. :blush:

Oh, another thought I had was is: if she is using metaphorical images here, and we don't take it as such and get upset, how does that compare to the imagery of communion? Bread and wine, body and blood? If we don't take it as such, we are cannibals! Right? ( ok, it's a stretch but something that crossed my mind anyways!).

I took the chapter to be entirely metaphorical. I still didn't care for it.

Being very honest, it felt a bit like I'd been reading a love letter from/to God only to have it end with being propositioned. Before everyone collectively gasps, that was just MY emotional response to it. I didn't like it. It was jarring.

Ok, I skipped ahead and read it........I thought it was beautiful. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but I thought it was an apt metaphor. It was a tad personal, but it's inspiring to see someone able to be that fully connected with God. I think some of it might have to do with what your spiritual personality is, and so I think her style of worship isn't going to appeal to some people.

I do agree with everything Janie Grace said, and the thing that drives me batty with her blog is the bolded sentence, which seems to be every other sentence. You shouldn't have to do that to make your point. So it was nice reading the book without any bolding. And I have noticed copycat blogs doing the same thing, which is really, very annoying.

I took the chapter to be entirely metaphorical. I still didn't care for it.

Being very honest, it felt a bit like I'd been reading a love letter from/to God only to have it end with being propositioned. Before everyone collectively gasps, that was just MY emotional response to it. I didn't like it. It was jarring.

That made me LOL, actually, I could see that.

So, it was not an appropriate metaphor to some. However, it was also not a problem in other readers' eyes. If it can be seemed as a difference of opinion rather than radical or unbiblical, I think I can manage that in a discussion. There are just so many ways to react to it- being not bothered at all, bothered to point of not finishing the book nor recommending it, reacting to it with a fierceness that diminishes the work of the rest of the book..ugh....I guess I will see what happens. One other thing I was worried about was promoting unsound doctrine which I saw mentioned on different blogs! :confused:

But I have to agree with you that God touched me and gave me a new perspective on my relationship with the LORD.

Our relationship with the LORD SHOULD be raw. It should be REAL, just as in any other relationship we have with other here on earth, but MORE RAW, MORE REAL.

I like what you said...raw. It does make you think of God's love in a very, very real way.

Btw, thank you for your responses. It's really been great to get different thoughts!

Edited by amyrjoy

One other thing I was worried about was promoting unsound doctrine which I saw mentioned on different blogs! :confused:
:iagree: with your :confused: I don't see it. And I wouldn't have even known that chapter would be controversial if you hadn't posted, so maybe it won't occur to the other women in the study!

I just have to admit that I didn't like the book. I just couldn't get into her writing style (and yes I should have realized it from reading her blog). I ordered and returned to Amazon without finishing it. Now I am wondering about the last chapter.:D

:iagree:with all of this, except that I borrowed the book from the library.

I feel the same way. I returned it as well before finishing it. I don't care for her writing style. It just seems so... overdone.

I have liked her blog in years past but I feel like she is now laboring under some pressure to be unspeakably deep every. single. day.

This is exactly my sentiment. Just be real, for goodness sake! Stop trying too hard... trying to be deep. I mean, could you imagine someone talking to you in real life like this woman writes??? It would be very tiring. Just be honest and real and practical. Well, apparantly a lot of people love her writing, so maybe it's just me.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought....How can Spirit be raw?