Menu

Reading and Math program for baby under 1 year old

Guest tomato

There are no legit programs, no. The "Your Baby Can Read" program is a circus trick and hinders real phonetic learning later.

Teach counting and number recognition, teach letter sounds and recognition, read, read, read together, introduce shapes and colors, and things like that. Every moment is a teachable moment. Don't use "baby talk" when talking to a baby. Always use normal vocabulary to broaden your child's exposure to language.

... and don't let anyone fool you into thinking a baby can't learn anything. Yes, absolutely babies should be playing, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. Don't push. Expose.

Read, read and read some more to the child. Not just picture books but from older books too. Also talk about everything you do, narrate your day: We are going to make daddy dinner, we need a cup of rice, 2 eggs, let's count them, one two, eggs come from chickens, and so on. When you play with the child use use descriptive words, size and color and add in phonics: Oh, you have the blus ball, ball begins with B, B says /b/, /b/ ball.

There is lots you can do with this age. Never let someone tell you it is silly or you're out of your head to want to start them early. Be creative. You can count, teach colors, sizes, shapes, begin letter recognition and more if you integrate it with play.

The only programs of which I am aware are Your Baby Can Read, Little Reader & Little Math, and Glenn Doman's Teach Your Baby to ... series. However I have seen very mixed results with them (I have friends and family that think it's a great idea) but it's a lot of time and effort that you could otherwise use: IMO a minute spent describing pictures in books is worth significantly more than a minute spent with flash cards.

Look up Larry Sanger's blog. He posted a 144 page essay about teaching his son to read while essentially a toddler.

Brightly Beaming Baby and Brightly Beaming Toddler are really well thought out and developmentally appropriate 'curricula' for babies 3 months to 1 year, and 1 to 2 years old.

Hi, may I know any program for reading and maths to recommend for baby under 1 year old? Thanks in advance!

Start reading John Holt and googling "the value of play" and then forget you ever asked for that advice.

ETA: An aside but I heard an interesting bit on a radio interview about how infants and toddlers learn. The interviewee cited a case where a toddler would be given a toy, a ball with lots of little pockets, bells, etc. If the mother showed the baby how to play with one aspect of the toy like the bell, the infant would explore that bell and generally just that bell. If the toy was given without any guidance the child would explore the whole toy and all the other things it offers. The summary of the interview and the best advice I can think of is that when they're that young just don't get in their way and follow their lead.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Look up Larry Sanger's blog. He posted a 144 page essay about teaching his son to read while essentially a toddler.

And I'd worry about all of the important toddler stuff that child could have been doing rather then reading. Reading will come, those early years of discovery are over too fast.

And I'd worry about all of the important toddler stuff that child could have been doing rather then reading. Reading will come, those early years of discovery are over too fast.

:iagree: I agree. A child doesn't need to have explicit exposure to curriculum when they are babies/toddlers. There is so much time for that later in life. Their job is to play and learn through play. Reading to them, talking to them about everything they see and hear, exposing them to nature, and giving them time to be babies are the best choices. You'd be surprised how much a child can learn through play.

There is a wonderful book, now out of print, that you might be able to find called, "Awakening Your Child's Natural Genius." I have given it to both my sister and sister-in-law as presents when they had babies. Just full of great activity ideas of things to do with your toddler through play.

The only thing we did before about 15 months was sign language. We taught our daughter a few key signs (things like more, milk, change, sleepy, etc) so that even before she could talk (which was very early) she could communicate. Other than that we just played and did normal toddler stuff like saying "what does the cow say", counting as we put things away, and reading to her a lot and making sure that we spoke to her the same way we spoke to adults to build her vocabulary.

At 15 to 18 months (can't remember exactly when we started) I started teaching the letters and sounds and we watched the Letter Factory video. We watched little to no tv and still to this day don't but the leap frog videos were an exception we made. She loved walking around singing "the a says ah...the a says ah...every letter makes a sound the a says a."

The only thing we did before about 15 months was sign language. We taught our daughter a few key signs (things like more, milk, change, sleepy, etc) so that even before she could talk (which was very early) she could communicate. Other than that we just played and did normal toddler stuff like saying "what does the cow say", counting as we put things away, and reading to her a lot and making sure that we spoke to her the same way we spoke to adults to build her vocabulary.

Yup--we use some basic ASL signs plus talking & reading & counting & playing & listening to music. The squishy is 6 months and (as is quite possible with regular exposure) signs "milk" and "all done" and understands/responds appropriately to others. I wouldn't use any special programs at that age.

A rich environment with good toys to play with will help with math and speech (speaking in sentences is related to the ability to stack objects), etc. Reading out loud is also good. Speak to your baby with real words, not baby words. We didn't do sign language, but I've known people who found it helpful.

Even bright and gifted dc vary in reaching certain milestones. Everyone in my family is gifted (some pg), but on the two sides (my parents here) there were babies who spoke on the early side (sentences before 1 year old) to the late side (3, 4 and one who is twice gifted was 5). Rarely does one of them read before 5 or 6; reading is partly related to the development of sight/vision. To read what Reya has written about her dc you'd have to find her posts.

If it makes you feel better, here is what some of my extended family has accomplished without being taught to read before reaching public school age (not all went into academic fields, btw):

Received Ph.D.'s in science (one got a prestigious Governor's General Scholarship for a full ride through university, at least the undergraduate; he didn't pay for any of his education

Surgeon

Screenactor (you do need to be able to read for that ;), but only 1/10,000 aspiring screen actors end up making a living at it, so it's hard to accept the fact that some of them are terrible but get in because of looks, etc)

Musicians & Composers

Chartered Accountant

One did a master's degree at Cambridge in England (was also accepted to Oxford) and then got a 3 year scholarship to learn a heritage language in Europe

There is more, and some of my extended family are doing other jobs, such as housepainting (used to be a musician but wanted a more steady job when he became a dad; others support themselves by music), data management and voiceovers. All grew up with books and being read to and had lots of time for play when they were little.

Edited by Karin

The following two books come to mind:

Your Child's Growing Mind

Einstein Didn't Use Flash Cards

and, as a PP mentioned, John Holt.

Before 1 year of age, so much neurological development occurs just during touching, holding, and talking. And then play becomes so essential and the key to learning in the early years.

Put them in a baby sling and keep a running dialogue (out loud) of every.single.thing you are doing. Unless they are wandering around banging pans or shoving things into other things or eating grass.

Like the above posters have said - it isn't a time for formal anything - it is a time for discovery and play. There is no way to know if you have a genius in waiting at one year of age. All you do at this age is show them the world.

a

Re: don't push, expose--something to bear in mind is that some babies get overstimulated easily, even very bright/gifted ones, so exposing should be done wisely :).

:iagree:

That said dd2 has been working on phonics for about 6 months. She LOVES it! Also doing basic memory work such as colors, shapes, continents, and oceans.

I plan on introducing Colton to phonics early instead of letter names.

:iagree:

That said dd2 has been working on phonics for about 6 months. She LOVES it! Also doing basic memory work such as colors, shapes, continents, and oceans.

I plan on introducing Colton to phonics early instead of letter names.

The key is that she loves it. What I did was follow my dc's leads at that age. Although all three are academically gifted, not all wanted to learn the same things as early and it hasn't slowed them down at all later on.