Menu

Khan Academy Badge Program

Khan Academy Badge Program

I always thought Khan Acadamy was just videos to go to when you didn't understand something. They have all kinds of practice problems too. Kids can earn virtual badges by completing different levels.

My son who has completed Singapore 6B and two books of LOF and is on LOF Pre-ALgebra has found it very helpful. We've uncovered some holes in his learning (negative numbers, division of decimals) and it's making him be more conscientious of accuracy. He also spent two hours of free time doing math to earn the Double Power Hour badge (you have to do 180 problems correctly and watch 30 minutes of video in 2 hours).

Right now both of my kids are working on Master of Arithmetic. My son has gotten to the Journeyman Level and is working towards Artisan. My daughter has gotten Apprentice and is working on Journeyman.

I think it's a great tool for extra practice for Singapore and Life of Fred users!

Edited by AuntPol

the exercises are on the website, there is nothing to download as far as I know. The badges are for a variety of accomplishments, most involving work on exercises but sometimes videos too. They are cute and really motivating to my 11 year old boy!

Also you can set yourself up as a coach and then you can review all of your children's progress at once.

All we did was have each kid sign in via their google mail account and then they started with basic arithmetic. Basically, I gave them permission to sign up and they figured it out on their own.

It starts out easy 7+3 type of stuff and then progresses. They have a chart that tells them where they can go next and what badges they have earned and which ones ones they are in progress of earning.

Last week I watched Khan speaking at the TED conference on YouTube. He sort of explains the new setup with the exercises and badges, etc. It was designed to be used for a school that wanted to use his videos. I haven't implemented it with my kids yet, but it definitely looks very interesting.

Very addictive.

I just wish it went past algebra.

Do you mean basic algebra? The lessons takes one past calculus, ending linear algebra.

This website is pretty wicked!

The videos do, but the interactive exercises don't go beyond 10th grade work (and there are a lot of gaps before that too).

They have been adding more exercises though and the most recent additions included some at the end and some that filled gaps in the middle. Also there are currently 126 exercises (including challenges), but if you inspect the source code you can see that one of the Black Hole badges is for gaining proficiency in 150 exercises, so there's clearly more to come.

My son earned Artisan Arithmetician and the Arithmetic Challenge today!!! He's so proud of himself. He's been working hard at it but occasionally gets frustrated or bored with one topic and has gone into some trig and pre-algebra and algebra stuff that is new to him. He discovered some gaps and some weak areas that he did not practice enough in Singapore/LOF.

• 8 months later...