Menu

If you had no access to pre natal care?

I haven't read the previous posts but I just wanted to say that I pretty much DIYed it on my last kid:) He was my fourth, every pregnancy and (home)birth has been completely uneventful, I read about preg./cb ALOT (childbirth educator), and I had great midwives for the first 3 births, who I learned tons from. I am probably in the minority - but with my totally uncomplicated medical history - I love being in charge of my care. Even when I had a midwife, I didn't weigh myself, I didn't do bloodwork (occasional iron testing though), I've never done any fancy tests or gest. diab. testing. I've just never had any reason to do all of it since I was in good health. And none of my mws (different ones for each birth) had a problem with my decisions.

So what did I do? The best thing you can do is find a good midwife first of all. Explain your situation. If you are not interested in monthly, then weekly appts., ask if she will assist during your birth if you come in periodically during pregnancy. MWs are much more negotiable about these things. If you want the whole deal, you might be delighted to find how reasonably priced mws are.

The two most important things you can do are eat right and exercise (birth is so much easier for me when I've been exercising). Vitamins are great but I can never remember to take them! Still, I've grown healthy babies. If you want, you can weigh yourself, pee on a protein stick, pretty much whatever they do in the office. There's tons of info about being in charge of your prenatal care - websites and books. Just start googling unassisted birthing. There's also friendly forums to learn from. I don't get the feeling that you want to DIY but you could probably find the info you are looking for to bridge whatever gap you feel needs to be met if you can't get traditional prenatal care.

Lastly, if you are healthy, your last pregnancy/birth were uncomplicated, the odds are good for an excellent outcome with this baby. I do get an u/s at 5 months to make sure everything is there but, after that, I pretty much ride it out. I'm also a big fan of Hypnobabies childbirth program - not Hypnobirthing - Hypnobabies. I did both classes and benefited most from Hypnobabies and it's an affordable at home course. Educate yourself.

Also, this early in the pregnancy, being nauseous and not being able to eat is par for the course. You'll be fine and make up for it later:)

Edited by elfinbaby
add

Do I understand correctly from your previous posts that you will have insurance before you deliver, you just don't have it now? In that case, I'd find an OB who is on the approved provider list of the insurance that your husband will be getting through work and just pay out of pocket until the insurance kicks in. This early in the pregnancy there shouldn't be too many appointments. Best of luck. :grouphug:

I would check into Medicaid & WIC. I thought PG women were automatically covered. I'd call all local social services agency.

If your husband is unemployed and you have no health insurance you should qualify for Medicaid for pregnant women.

My husband got laid off when I was 3 months pregnant with our first child and I had to go that route. I was treated very well and had a good selection of doctors to choose from. In fact, I was able to use the same doctor I had selected before becoming pregnant.

Sorry, I hadn't read ALL the replies before posting. Short attention span.

Your update says there will be a 3-month gap before the new insurance kicks in. That would make it an easy decision for me: I would do whatever is necessary to pay COBRA for those 3 months, including asking relatives for a loan and churches for help, using the credit card, selling grandma's china, having dh work a 2nd part-time job . . . anything. I'd also talk to my current doctor, and go to a local food bank for groceries (and then redirect that money to COBRA).

yes, I would persist in seeking other help so hopefully the COBRA can be dropped, but I would no do without medical care in the meanwhile. I know that anyone can seek help from Catholic Charities and local Catholic churches; you do not have to be Catholic. In our parish, anyone can go to the food bank. If you want to request monetary assistance, you have to apply and speak to a staff member, but it's very quick and informal. Your situation is exactly the kind they are most likely to help with: a temporary emergency. I would sit down with a phone book and call every local church. The worst they can do is say no.

I think it varies by state. Here in AZ it is considered a "black market" birth if a midwife will attend a HBAC (many still do). I agree to find your local iCAN to check.

Yes, I know midwifery regulations vary state-by-state. I'm a midwife. ;)

I looked online and there were plenty CO midwives advertising HBAC. The ICAN information also indicated it was happening there.

I would look into the local crisis pregnancy center.

However, honestly I'm not sure I would go into much debt for prenatal care, unless I was high risk. There is a lot you can do yourself. And really, pregnancy is not the emergent medical situation we often think of it as being.

Now, I do NOT think childbirth is a do it yourself thing, especially after an emergency c-section. But prenatal care? I think that is okay.

I would look at http://www.mothering.com and their unassisted birth forum. Check your blood pressure at the drug store, to make sure it's okay. Measure your belly. Weigh yourself. Get some dip sticks. Honestly, most prenatal visits involve checking your blood pressure, weight, belly measurement, and checking urine.

:grouphug:

Edited by Terabith

I would look into the local crisis pregnancy center.

However, honestly I'm not sure I would go into much debt for prenatal care, unless I was high risk. There is a lot you can do yourself. And really, pregnancy is not the emergent medical situation we often think of it as being.

Now, childbirth I might go into debt to pay for a midwife, or in an emergency, hospital. I would not be comfortable doing that myself.

I would look at http://www.mothering.com and their unassisted birth forum. Check your blood pressure at the drug store, to make sure it's okay. Measure your belly. Weigh yourself. Honestly, most prenatal visits involve checking your blood pressure, weight, belly measurement, and checking urine.

Agreed. If it is only for 3 months, that isn't a huge deal to me. Instead of going to the doctor every month go every 6 weeks, and pay out of pocket for that one appt. Much cheaper than COBRA.

Katie

I am so sorry that you have to worry about this. I mean, this is America. Good grief.

If I were in your position, I would call around and ask to speak privately with the OBs and midwives in town. I think you could probably talk one of them into seeing you once for a limited fee. You said you're twelve weeks, and you've got to wait three months for insurance to kick in, so I'd try to get in about halfway through that time, 18 weeks.

You might be able to find out who your OB will be once insurance kicks in and get in with them.

First, read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery. Hearts and Hands is another good one. 3rd edition is affordable and on amazon. Then the mothering.com forums. Mango Mama has a good online guide. Also, there is usually a state nurse hotline where you can call and ask for assistance and information if you have any worries. If there is something wrong, I would go beg at the Dept. of Public Aid and WIC.

Agreed. If it is only for 3 months, that isn't a huge deal to me. Instead of going to the doctor every month go every 6 weeks, and pay out of pocket for that one appt. Much cheaper than COBRA.

Katie

My husband switched jobs about this time last year, right in the middle of my pregnancy. We filed the COBRA papers but because we paid out of pocket instead, we didn't owe COBRA any money. You only need to pay for it if you use it. It covered us in case anything catastrophic happened. Paying for a couple OB appointments and blood tests between the old insurance ending and new insurance beginning was a couple hundred dollars. The COBRA would have been a couple thousand.

I've had 5 different insurance carriers during my 3 pregnancies, and pregnancy wasn't considered a preexisting condition for any of them, if that's helpful at all.

Thanks for all your responses! There's so much to think and pray about. I will be making some more calls soon to see what kind of help I can find.

There is a crisis pregnancy center and our United Way has a medicaid/CHP+ advocate who is working with me. Just today I found out about a pre natal/OB non profit clinic run by our hospital, I'll need to call them too.

Thank you all!

Will your new insurance cover a pre-existing condition if you don't have continuous coverage? I know ours did not if you didn't have coverage the day before the new policy started but that was before the Health Care Reform Act, which obviously doesn't do enough if a pregnant woman can't get the health care she needs. I'm not sure how the Health Care Act addresses that issue.

Will your new insurance cover a pre-existing condition if you don't have continuous coverage? I know ours did not if you didn't have coverage the day before the new policy started but that was before the Health Care Reform Act, which obviously doesn't do enough if a pregnant woman can't get the health care she needs. I'm not sure how the Health Care Act addresses that issue.

Yes, it should. In 2010 our governor signed a law stating that group health insurance can not deny consider pregnancy a deniable pre-existing condition.

And a quick update, my paperwork for CHP+ is complete as of last week and they are supposed to process my application and have me signed up for Presumptive Eligibility soon-like this week. Which will be a blessing if it works out.

None of the other places mentioned really panned out and every OB wanted an amount of money up front that I just didn't have. The health dept pre-natal clinic was willing to work with me next month. I needed more proof of income than one paystub from his new job before they could help me.

Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions and ideas for me! :grouphug:

Get a good prenatal vitamin. The med Rx'd for severe nausea is diclectin. Worth the copay, etc if its to the point of dehydration being an issue. Better copay and Rx than ER.

Taking the prenatal at bedtime was the only way I could keep them down.

You can also take half a tablet of Unisom (regular strength) with 25mg of B6. I've used that for all four of my pregnancies. It has a 30+ year safety record.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for not reading all of the responses first...and if I repeat. There is a thing called "emergency" medicaid in the U.S. where you automatically get coverage b/c it's an immediate need (like if you were in a car accident, need immediate delivery, etc). Of course b/c it's gov't, there is red tape but you need to get on the phone and start making calls. A good case worker can help you immensely. Also, call your local county health department. You can get any meds and your prenatal care for free or near free through them in our state and it should be somewhat similar in your state.

Good Luck!!

Some docs will work with you if you are in a waiting period for insurance. When I found out I was pg with baby number four, my dh had just gotten a job after six months of unemployment, and we had a 60 or 90 day wait for insurance...I don't recall which now. I got an OB to see me (a new one to me) without insurance coverage. I was planning on paying out of pocket until my insurance kicked in, but she didn't charge me and instead just waited until I had insurance to bill. Most OB's charge a lump sum for prenatal care. Ive not ever found any independent health insurance which covers maternity.

i am so sorry. i can't believe that we are really a first world nation. no one should have to worry about this. no one.

ann

you could try this:

http://www.cohealthinitiative.org/uninsured

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/GovernorsHealthReform/GOVR/1251573982023

this may be the best bet

https://www.covercolorado.org/

for years i ran a health clinic for uninsured folks in california. one of the things we had was a state social worker who helped us find funding to help people. so you might start by calling the local hospital and asking to speak with the social worker.

I agree. I think if we ran an anonymous poll of how many aren't getting medical attention due to no insurance that the response would be huge. I'm praying for you and for all with medical concerns and no insurance. :grouphug: