Menu

Puppy climbs onto dining room table - how to stop him?

This morning, there were pawprints on the dining room table. The kids said they did not put the puppy up there, but I was suspicious of them because he is only 3 mos. old, exactly, and he is so small.

Tonight, I found him on the table. Later, DH brought me some flowers and the kids said Aidan was interested in them. Yes, he was! And he climbed up there all by himself!

One of the things I liked about Aidan is that he is so small he will not be able to clear the table of plates simply by walking up to it, like our Collie did. It never crossed my mind that this little puppy (3 mos, 11.5 lbs) would do this!

How do I stop him? I have no room to move the chairs elsewhere. He is quick, too. This enterprise takes him about 7 seconds to complete, from floor to table top. So if I turn my back on him for a few seconds, he could get up there. He could fall and break his neck. He can't stay in his exercise pen in the living room all day ... and he is too cute for words, exploits and all.

post-642-13535084770002_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084770359_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084770002_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084770359_thumb.jpg

Edited by RoughCollie

We used Tattle Tale Alarm, it senses motion and alarm sounds for a minute or so, and scares the dog away. It was great training tool for counters and cabinets. Our dog loved to get into kitchen cabinets, even child locks did not stop him. But the alarm did the trick.

We used Tattle Tale Alarm, it senses motion and alarm sounds for a minute or so, and scares the dog away. It was great training tool for counters and cabinets. Our dog loved to get into kitchen cabinets, even child locks did not stop him. But the alarm did the trick.

Great idea! Thanks.

Yep, shove those chairs up as far under the table as you can. What would happen if you turned the chairs around?

They are ladderback chairs -- he tries to climb up and over. They are not heavy, so I don't let him do this because he can easily tip over with the chair.

The armchairs don't go under the table at all.

I would supervise him and when he starts to try and climb on the chairs tell him no. Do it a few times and he'll get the message not to climb up there.

I'm not sure he will get the message. I taught him how to ask to go out (ringing sleigh bells). He figured out that ringing bells or scratching on doors will get someone to open them. He has yet to figure out that if he has to go to the bathroom, a key thing to do would be to ask to go outside in the exact same manner. Door opens, grass beckons bladder -- a concept that has eluded him thus far.

He is real good at solving puzzles, though.

He is a very active, very funny puppy. I spend all day trying to keep up with him and laughing at his antics. It's hard to get him to be serious, and it's hard for me to stay serious with him. This is probably a main reason that saying No! doesn't work, I'm trying hard not to laugh the whole time.

Our 12 lb Doxie will climb on the table if we leave the chairs out even an inch. Nothing works, we just have to keep the chairs pushed in, our chairs are very heavy so she can't move them. She even taught our Chihuahua how to do it.

I had no idea that little dogs would do things like that. A few minutes ago, a childhood memory popped into my head of our Wire-Haired Fox Terrier standing on the dining room table eating the Easter bunny cake.

I wouldn't worry about training him not to climb up the chairs too much. In a month or two he'll be leaping directly up. ;) :w00t: By the time my sister's wheaten pup was 4-5mo, he could leap over our heads while we sat on the couch. :lol: He is adorable! Good luck...

I had no idea that little dogs would do things like that. A few minutes ago, a childhood memory popped into my head of our Wire-Haired Fox Terrier standing on the dining room table eating the Easter bunny cake.

Little dogs often get away with murder. I bet if you had a German Shepherd, you'd find a way to train it out of him quick. :D

Me, I'd have been snapping pics too. He's too cute! :001_wub:

I cut up a hot dog into 200 pieces, and nuked it for a high value treat.

When he gets on something, I say Off, and give him a treat when he obeys.

He is now going around the house jumping on things, looking at me with his tail wagging, and running to me for his treat when I say Off.

Who is getting trained here?

I'm going to read for awhile so he doesn't think I'm paying attention to him, to catch him in the act of getting on things that are forbidden, and to put a stop to his latest game.

What an adorable puppy!

We made a booby trap for our pup. Put about 20 pennies in an empty soda can (make sure it's dry first) and tape the top shut. Tie or tape some string to the can. Set up a trap, like some tasty meat on the table, and put the can nearby. Hold on to the string, but stay out of sight. When the pup climbs up on the table to get the prize, jerk the string so the can startles him. He'll probably jump right off. It usually only takes a couple times for them to stop.

What an adorable puppy!

We made a booby trap for our pup. Put about 20 pennies in an empty soda can (make sure it's dry first) and tape the top shut. Tie or tape some string to the can. Set up a trap, like some tasty meat on the table, and put the can nearby. Hold on to the string, but stay out of sight. When the pup climbs up on the table to get the prize, jerk the string so the can startles him. He'll probably jump right off. It usually only takes a couple times for them to stop.

Wiki

Boobie-traps

Boobie-traps are items that will surprise a dog by making a loud noise when tripped or knocked over. They have a big advantage in that you don't have to be right there in order to correct the dog. This prevents the dog from associating you with the correction and allow for consistent correction even when you are out of the dogs sight. The effectiveness of these traps depends on the dog; some dogs are very calm and won't care that something fell, while others will learn on the first try and never trip the trap again. As always, use good judgment when formulating a trap. Do not cause harm to the dog, or cause an overconfident dog to get too scared.

Again, this can cause a lot of sound sensitivity. Management is the first defense. Pick up the shoes, keep food of off the counters, put the trash under the sink, etc.

Boobie-traps for use while training dogs can be made from various items:

Some traps can easily be produced from items found around the house. An object balanced on the edge of a counter may fall and frighten the dog when the dog sniffs at it. This is useful to deter a dog from patrolling the counter for food.

• A 12 oz. soda can with several coins inside will make a lot of noise when it falls.

He loves being squirted.

LOL :) Yep. Puppies are not cats.

When I was training my dogs, I kept them near me (long leash hitched to my wrist or jeans etc) or in the crate.

Puppies need total supervision. It will pay off. It's not cruel...it's sort of like if you had newborn baby boy twins who could run and climb...lol ...their curiosity & impulsivity could not be trusted. :D

Edited by LibraryLover

What an adorable puppy!

We made a booby trap for our pup. Put about 20 pennies in an empty soda can (make sure it's dry first) and tape the top shut.

Great idea! DH just bought soda tonight, so I'll try to persuade one of my kids to drink one so I can have the can.

I hope it works. Gunshots scare him -- he runs for the house. Tractors rolling over the front yard do not faze him, nor do chain saws.

Now I know why the dog food container comes with a place to put a padlock on it. Aidan just walked by it, flipped the lid open (which is like a door) and climbed inside. It is big because we used it for our Collie. Luckily, the several bags of puppy food that are in there are sealed.

Edited by RoughCollie

LOL :) Yep. Puppies are not cats.

Maybe it's my luck, but our cat did love to be squirted. I bought the squirt guns to use to keep her from scratching the furniture. She used to wake up DH in the middle of the night, and he thought it would be a great idea to squirt her to stop her from doing it. Instead, it encouraged her. She loved running through the house at 2 a.m. being chased by a squirt-gun wielding unclothed man.

Aidan does get total supervision -- it literally takes him a few seconds to achieve his plans once he figures out how to do something. Usually we can tell ahead of time what the Next Big Thing is. The kids called it on climbing on the table to get the flowers. The whole family (except me, The Doubter) was standing in the dining room watching him. I called it a few days ahead of time when he ran from across the room (to gather speed), leaped on the couch and tried to get onto the stairs by squeezing through the rails. We can tell because he is obviously thinking, trying to figure something out.

I don't keep him on a leash when he's with me because my "office" is in the pantry and he spends all his time getting into things -- close quarters, so everything is in reach. His favorite thing to do is to take the crackly skins off the onions (which are not good for dogs). Otherwise, I'm either walking or playing with him (hours every day) or, if the kids don't have him, he is in his ex-pen.

Right now, since it is 11 p.m. and his bed time, he is asleep. He keeps himself on a schedule -- he takes a nap from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. every day, too.

Edited by RoughCollie