Menu

S/O vacuums: experiences with Miele?

I love my miele. It is a carina (yellow canister). I don't know if they still have that model or not because my mom was asking me about getting one just this week. Apparently we were living in utter filth before I got the miele and didn't know it. :D It really sucks up the dirt. I have hardwood and area rugs and use the attachment that you can switch back and forth by pressing with your foot without changing it out.

I bought a Miele Titan in January. It is amazing. It actually improved the condition of our carpets to the extent that my husband could tell. I do note that the suction is greater with a new bag than an almost full bag. Haven't had a bagged vac in years, but I assume that's kind of normal?

I bought it locally (at a vacuum cleaner store, who knew!) and saved more than $100 over Amazon prices ... and the guy threw in a box of bags.

Love it.

I had one and hated it. The hose came out of the top of the vacuum, so whenever I tried to use the hose, the vacuum would fall over and hit me if I was behind it. It was hard to get the cover for the bags off, and I had to go to a special vacuum store to buy the bags--Target and those types of stores didn't carry them. I also had to replace the fan belt on it two or three times in the couple of years I had it.

It sounds like a lot of people love theirs, so my model may have just been poorly designed. I would suggest being sure that you can get the bags easily (going to the vacuum store was always a pain), and that its design works well for you.

We bought ours locally. They salesman was great and asked all sorts of questions - how much carpet, pets, long hair, etc. He sold us the vacuum that was made for our circumstances. And, he threw in the bags too. Ours is 5 years old.

My only complaint is that the bags cost WAY too much! We usually get a coupon and wait until they go on sale, but we still spend a LOT on them.

I had one and hated it. The hose came out of the top of the vacuum, so whenever I tried to use the hose, the vacuum would fall over and hit me if I was behind it. It was hard to get the cover for the bags off, and I had to go to a special vacuum store to buy the bags--Target and those types of stores didn't carry them. I also had to replace the fan belt on it two or three times in the couple of years I had it.

It sounds like a lot of people love theirs, so my model may have just been poorly designed. I would suggest being sure that you can get the bags easily (going to the vacuum store was always a pain), and that its design works well for you.

I was probably one who mentioned having problems in the other thread.

In eight years mine has probably been in for repairs 4-5 times. I've found it far less convenient to use than my older vacuum. The attachments have to fit in just so and that's always taking me time to fuss with. The hose isn't long enough to easily reach to the tops of windows and doors like my old vaccum was.

The bags are pricey but I do sometimes empty and reuse an extra time.

We bought a Miele Red Velvet about 5 years ago. It's "Lifetime" belt needed replacing within the first year, which was WAY more trouble than just replacing a regular belt, as the whole vacuum needed to be disassembled by a repairman to access it. It stopped working properly again about 6 months after the repair and I was frustrated enough not to want to bother with repairing it again right away. It's stashed in a closed until I'm inspired to take it in. To be fair, we have 4 cats and 2 dogs, so our vacuums do get a workout.

It WAS a nice vacuum when it was working, but I've discovered I'm not a big fan of canister style vacuums. It was quiet and had good suction, but didn't blow me away with it's performance as compared to other vacuums I have had. I expected better for the price.

I was probably one who mentioned having problems in the other thread.

In eight years mine has probably been in for repairs 4-5 times. I've found it far less convenient to use than my older vacuum. The attachments have to fit in just so and that's always taking me time to fuss with. The hose isn't long enough to easily reach to the tops of windows and doors like my old vaccum was.

The bags are pricey but I do sometimes empty and reuse an extra time.

Our canister has been repaired 2 times in the 6 years I've had it (my children are so hard on vacuum cleaners). The repairs were covered under the warranty so I didn't have to pay anything for them. I did buy it locally and I would suggest doing that if you ever do need a repair. The nice thing is the can be repaired. The other vacuums I've owned couldn't be fixed. I just had to replace them. None lasted more than 2 years. :(

Margaret

Behold, let me sing the praises of my Miele. I've had it for ...8 years now? It was brought in once to be fixed (I beat the bejesus out of my vacuums).

In that time I also had another high quality vacuum and I hated it in comparison.

The Miele is designed to fill the bag better, so that you change them less and they fill more. Granted, space in a bag is good, but with the other one I was throwing away a 'full' bag that was half empty bi monthly. I go through a Miele bag once a month (I vacuum every day, large house, two dogs and a cat, 6 kids at home).

Spending as much as you can afford on an excellent vacuum is an investment.