Menu

Naturopaths....do you use one or know someone who does?

Guest Katia

Guest Katia

I am looking for information on the use of Naturopaths, especially as it might relate to serious physical problems. Do you use one successfully, or do you know anyone who has?

I just love their philosophy, and I feel that if you can be healed or treated naturally, that would be the way to go.

Does anyone have any experiences or stories to share?

I've used naturopathic doctors for 20 years. I've had some wonderful naturopaths and some pretty awful ones. For me, the good ones are the ones who combine medical/scientific diagnostic techniques with wholistic treatments (lifestyle, herbs, homeopathy, supplements. . .)

The bad ones have relied on me holding a crystal to diagnose me (true story) and other rather New Agey methods which not only seemed out there but proved to be WRONG in their diagnoses. I had one bad naturopathic doctor tell me through the crystal method that my vitamin D levels were just fine. I had a blood test one month later and found that they were extremely low.

So I go to websites now to look at what kinds of articles the Dr. might have written, what their diagnostic tools are, what emphasis they take on treatment. I've found that a naturpath who takes uses a range of treatments (mentioned before) are better than one who uses herbs only (or any other treatment in isolation to others).

I see a naturopath, who shares a practice with Jan de Vries. My naturopath, Marcus, has treated me (successfully) since 2008 for sarcoidosis and bad PMS, along with a few other minor things. He has way more time for me than a GP or hospital consultant, and has proved himself very knowledgeable about pretty much everything I've asked him. So a big :thumbup: from me!

ETA: I forgot to put, that both Marcus and Jan have at least a Bachelor of Medicine degree, and then they both have various other qualifications in natural medicine on top of that.

Edited by Hedgehog

Guest Katia

These replies are so encouraging and very helpful.

Jean, I know that the one I'm looking at uses blood tests and will even order CT scans, etc. So, that sounds good.

See, I live in a state where it is illegal to practice natural medicine, so until I came to these boards, I had never heard of it. Then, a friend went to a different state for 1 month to be treated by a Naturopath, and came back a healed person.....and the drs here had been working with her for years and year with no success.

So.....I'm kinda checking them out. My sister lives in a state that allows them, and she said I could stay with her this summer and try out some treatments.....and I've loved everything I've heard and read about them so far, but sometimes it just helps to have real, live people tell you about their experiences.

I know I can't tell my doctors here that I'm planning to use them, but I don't see that I need to. My general practitioner is also a friend (small town), but he knows my dad is living with my sister, so I'll probably just tell him that I'm going to go visit with them...which is the truth. I AM going to visit with them....I just plan to consult with a Naturopath while I'm visiting .:001_smile:

Any more stories or experiences? I'd love to hear them!

Sort of. In our state you must have a medical degree to be a naturopath so I go to a lady who has her medical degree but uses a natural approach. My brother has a medical background and owns a nutritional supplement company, does tons of research, etc so he is really who I used for my main information.

I went to a naturopath who couldn't guarantee his protocol would heal my symptoms, yet he (omg this makes my blood boil just recounting this!) had me all set up to go through his regimen, which would have cost anywhere from $6-8,000.00 dollars. And no guarantees?? That meant no diagnosis.

This same naturopath puts everyone on this regimen. He has also confided in someone I know that 80% of his business is due to the overpriced supplements he sells unsuspecting folk. Grrrr.

Good think I only spent a couple hundred before I decided to pursue other options :glare: If you stick w/a naturopath, beware of muscle testing. I have heard from others that muscle testing isn't always (ever? not sure) accurate. Also, if he doesn't ask you to get blood work done at a lab in effort to dx you, I would conclude he will give you his one-size-fits all regimen.

I now see a clinical herbalist, who has diagnosed me. And for probably under $1,000 says I'll heal my body by following his regimen.

Good luck. Btw, recommendations don't always work - that naturopath has a great reputation in my neck of the woods. Many people I spoke with told me I'd be in good hands with him.

Honestly, everything I'm hearing and experiencing from my herbalist is so much more intuitive than anything I heard from naturopath or chiropractor.

Truly HTH you. Best of luck.

Edited by trailofsparks
beware of muscle testing

I went to a naturopath for my prenatal care and homebirth with DS. She also does pediatric care and I would totally stick with her as our main care provider if I could afford it. There's a very good school of naturopathy here, so the quality of providers I think is influenced by that.

I am both a qualified naturopath and a pharmacist. I like both approaches, but there are some conditions I think are better suited to naturopathic therapy than others. I think an approach of diet, lifestyle, herbal, and nutritional supplements are a good option.

I honestly believe using herbs is no different to using drugs. One has a lot more scientific research and the other more emperical evidence. The definition of a drug is a substance that you take to cause changes in your body. That means a herb is a drug.

Just my two cents worth. If you have any more specific questions, please let me know and I will try and help.

I am both a qualified naturopath and a pharmacist. I like both approaches, but there are some conditions I think are better suited to naturopathic therapy than others. I think an approach of diet, lifestyle, herbal, and nutritional supplements are a good option.

I honestly believe using herbs is no different to using drugs. One has a lot more scientific research and the other more emperical evidence. The definition of a drug is a substance that you take to cause changes in your body. That means a herb is a drug.

Just my two cents worth. If you have any more specific questions, please let me know and I will try and help.

My understanding is that you won't really find side-effects with herbs, but almost always will with pharma. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Oxford Dictionary: Drug (noun) a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body

Oford Dictionary: Side effect: a secondary, typically undesirable effect of a drug or medical treatment

A side effect is actually any effect other than the intended one that happens as a result of taking treatment. There are many reported side effects even to placebo medications. They are not always unpleasant; when testing a drug for blood pressure, they found a 'side effect' that has now made that drug one of the most profitable (vi*gra). An antidepressant that was tested had a side effect that a lot of the trial participants were quitting smoking. The placebo rate is about 33%, and this is the same for desired effects and side effects.

Some side effects of herbs would include: licorice can cause high blood pressure, others can elevate blood sugar, or cause miscarriage, dizziness, diarrhoea etc etc.

Basically, if it is able to cause the desired effect it can cause undesired effects. Herb or pharma drug.

Sorry that was a bit long winded.

Amy

You definitely can have side effects with herbs.

I had a severe gallbladder attack while taking an herb. I did not research it, and the warnings were not to use if you had previously had gallbladder issues.

I loved my naturopath. (He took a 2-year sabbatical, and I miss him dearly!) I believe he was key in my recovery from Lyme disease. The conventional docs I saw were no help. Really. None. :glare:

Guest Katia

These replies have been so insightful. I have contacted the Naturopath that I wish to visit, and we have had a phone consult. I am SO excited. He is planning not only to treat the symptoms of my disease, but to address all the underlying causes and to help with other problems that I have had for ages (physically), since he saw right away that they were all interlinked.

Wow.

And my dr. here has only ever addressed one issue at a time, but all isolated from each other, and symptoms only.

I have started my new prescribed diet, and am feeling better already. He adjusted the herbal supplements I'm taking as well, which has really helped. I hated not knowing exactly what each did, or how they would work together, and dosages for me, etc. Now, I have someone to help and guide me.

I'm so thankful for this board and the information that is shared.

It is like the best of both worlds-- but he does favor the Naturopath side!

DD has thyroid problems--- he recommended Armour Thyroid (prescription). When dd began having other issues put her on natural supplements and they worked for years (the 'drug' options had so many bad side effects it was worth the $200 per month in supplements).

Now dd has be Dx'ed with PCOS-- the natural treatments were not enough to deal with her severe insulin resistance-- so she is now on a prescription. The number of supplements has also decreased...

To attempt control her PCOS 'naturally' (as out of whack as she is) would cost over $600 per month in supplements and over 40 pills each day-- verses the $20 per month prescription (that has few side effects and has been around almost 100 years so it is 'proven').

Her Dr highly recommends a HEALTHY lifestyle for the PREVENTION of health issues-- is favorite recommendation is the Paleo Diet.

I've used naturopathic doctors for 20 years. I've had some wonderful naturopaths and some pretty awful ones. For me, the good ones are the ones who combine medical/scientific diagnostic techniques with wholistic treatments (lifestyle, herbs, homeopathy, supplements. . .)

The bad ones have relied on me holding a crystal to diagnose me (true story) and other rather New Agey methods which not only seemed out there but proved to be WRONG in their diagnoses. I had one bad naturopathic doctor tell me through the crystal method that my vitamin D levels were just fine. I had a blood test one month later and found that they were extremely low.

So I go to websites now to look at what kinds of articles the Dr. might have written, what their diagnostic tools are, what emphasis they take on treatment. I've found that a naturpath who takes uses a range of treatments (mentioned before) are better than one who uses herbs only (or any other treatment in isolation to others).

:iagree:

Yes, this. I've been to several. One when I was dealing with adrenal issues several years ago. I found him after a devastating experience with an endocrinologist who didn't listen, wouldn't treat, and didn't care. The naturopath listened, sympathized, and, most importantly, helped me heal.

Another time I took my daughter, who is Type 1 diabetic, to a naturopath who had been highly recommended for diagnosing food sensitivities and allergies that would help regulate her blood sugar. He used Kinesiology (holding vials of food next to my daughters body and judging her sensitivity based on the reaction of her arm muscles.) It was a hugely disappointing experience over all.

Like a PP, I had a naturopath attend my last birth. She was fantastic, and I plan to continue taking my baby to her for pediatric care.

I am looking for information on the use of Naturopaths, especially as it might relate to serious physical problems. Do you use one successfully, or do you know anyone who has?

I just love their philosophy, and I feel that if you can be healed or treated naturally, that would be the way to go.

Does anyone have any experiences or stories to share?

My Dd and I see a chiropracter who also is a naturopath. He has been a blessing for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw a new one yesterday. After several very frustrating attempts to discuss my symptoms with my PCP - and getting nowhere - I decided to see an MD who is a Naturopath. I had heard he incorporates the best of both worlds. And actually I couldn't get in to see him for another 4 months so I opted to see his LNP. She was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. I can't even tell you how I felt after leaving there. I literally cried, but the opposite kind of cry I had after leaving my family practitioner who belittled me and blew off my severe symptoms. I have never been treated with such care and respect as I was yesterday. No mocking when I told her I had done my own research and had an idea of what was going on. Then, when it came time to discuss treatment options she asked ME what I want to do based on my research. I did defer to her expertise, but it just felt so good to have a partner in working toward my best health. I can't even believe it.

But she wasn't on my insurance, so that's the down side. I might not be able to afford to see them too often. But it sounds like we will just work toward getting me to a manageable place.

I just saw a new one yesterday. After several very frustrating attempts to discuss my symptoms with my PCP - and getting nowhere - I decided to see an MD who is a Naturopath. I had heard he incorporates the best of both worlds. And actually I couldn't get in to see him for another 4 months so I opted to see his LNP. She was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. I can't even tell you how I felt after leaving there. I literally cried, but the opposite kind of cry I had after leaving my family practitioner who belittled me and blew off my severe symptoms. I have never been treated with such care and respect as I was yesterday. No mocking when I told her I had done my own research and had an idea of what was going on. Then, when it came time to discuss treatment options she asked ME what I want to do based on my research. I did defer to her expertise, but it just felt so good to have a partner in working toward my best health. I can't even believe it.

But she wasn't on my insurance, so that's the down side. I might not be able to afford to see them too often. But it sounds like we will just work toward getting me to a manageable place.

Amy! I'm so glad to hear this. I hope that you can find some answers and healing.

My friend wants to be a naturopath. I seriously thought about it, seriously but couldn't find a real school for it...This is a little off-topic, but can someone recommend me a school in the South East Region of the states?

I've seriously thought about it, too, but there are no schools where I am, and there is a Traditional Chinese Medicine school, so I'm working my way there instead. Ayurveda is my first choice, but there's no regulations in the US yet.

My state only acknowledges naturopaths who graduate from schools accredited by the national accrediting agency, the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME) in addition to regional accreditation. Here's their small list of accredited schools:

http://www.cnme.org/programs.html

Looks like your closest choices would be AZ or CT. I've heard good reviews about the WA and OR schools.

My local naturopath graduated from the OR school, and she is awesome. She's also a midwife and president of the TCM school! She did not push vaccines when I needed proof of my ds's existence with a legit doctor's note (he was an unassisted homebirth and we had a hard time getting his birth certificate). The extra cost of a naturopath was worth not having to protect my ds from vaccine pushers. She totally respected our choices.

There are a lot more TCM schools accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Here's their list:

http://www.acaom.org/find-a-school/default.aspx?state=All&dicipline=undefined&programtypes=MasterAccredited

The world is in need of more healers in this age. Long live ancient, natural medicine!

Edited by Devotional Soul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iemmawriter

I'm taking correspondence courses through Herbal Healer Academy, Dr. Mirija McCain. I'm impressed with how thorough and hands on it is. It's been around for 25 years. Anyone can go, from anywhere.

Guest iemmawriter

I'm taking correspondence courses through Herbal Healer Academy, Dr. Mirija McCain. I'm impressed with how thorough and hands on it is. It's been around for 25 years. Anyone can go, from anywhere. It's great :)