Menu

Need Suggestions for K Math Curriculum

Jesi4891

I am looking for a cheap workbook-based math program for my kindergartner. I have used Singapore Early Bird with my first, but it seems they have changed the program and now it is a little too pricey. Any ideas? She really wants a workbook style program so she can be like her older sister. I use Saxon starting in first, but didn't want to buy it for kindergarten. I have looked at Liberty Math and would love any feedback on that curriculum. Thanks!

MEP is awesome. There are teacher plans, but there's a work page every day, at least in Year 1. I believe Reception Year is the same. It's also free. There's Spectrum. We used it for a little while and seemed decent. We quit using it because Ariel didn't like workbooks. You could also do Rod & Staff 1st grade. It's really gentle and spends a lot of time working on facts. I'm not familiar with Liberty Math, so I can't comment on that.

CLE!!! I think they are $3 a pop. My son LOVES them. We did Rod & Staff and then Right Start but neither one was a good fit for us. My only complaint is that the story problems are all about farming :D.

I like that it covers a variety of topics (we're on CLE 102, DS just turned 6); today we counted change, did a quiz, number dictation, flashcards, addition and subtraction. There are just a handful of problems in each section so he doesn't have time to get bored.

CLE's math really starts at first grade. I didn't think it would work for my k'er who could barely count to 20 when we started last August. But we will be using it for first grade because he will be ready!

We used BJU for K math. The book is colorful and my DS really likes it. It is mastery but with a lot of review built in. I have the teacher's manual (which is the expensive part of this program!) and pull it out on occassion, so you could probably work without it. It gives different ideas on how to teach topics. But since it is for classroom use, I haven't found it to be very useful. We've master a number of skills this year and I'm very pleased!

I am looking for a cheap workbook-based math program for my kindergartner. I have used Singapore Early Bird with my first, but it seems they have changed the program and now it is a little too pricey. Any ideas? She really wants a workbook style program so she can be like her older sister. I use Saxon starting in first, but didn't want to buy it for kindergarten. I have looked at Liberty Math and would love any feedback on that curriculum. Thanks!

Maybe Sadlier-Oxford's Progress in Math? You can find it from Amazon and other sellers new for about $20 and it scores slightly better than Saxon (SO is what K12 used until last year). You wouldn't need a teacher's manual. [s-O is a big ps publisher like Saxon.]

http://www.amazon.com/Progress-Mathematics-Grade-Workbook-Ser/dp/0821526200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302537404&sr=1-1

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/progress-in-mathematics-grade-k-workbook-progress-in-mathematics-ser-7-id-0821526200.aspx

A comparison with Saxon:

http://www.mathematicallycorrect.com/k6books.pdf

Otherwise, you might just try a DK or BrainQuest workbook for about $10. For a K'r, do lots of hands on, too. :)

If I had to do kindergarten again and needed something affordable (and didn't have access to what I already have now), I'd choose MEP Reception. I actually printed it all out and it was fun the times we did the lessons. But we already had one math program and that was enough for us so we didn't continue. Someone linked to it for you, I'd take a look and see what you think.

I'd also take a look at Singapore Essentials Math. I have not seen this at all, but we are totally loving their Primary Mathematics program.

OK. I think we will choose either MEP or Singapore. I didn't know about either one-thank you! Has anyone compared the two? I would love to hear which you prefer and why. It might some me some "research" time.

Lol, or you could look up Spycar's posts and see why he uses both.

:)

Rosie

Lol, or you could look up Spycar's posts and see why he uses both.

Technically, he used Miquon/Singapore/MEP all at once, right? :lol:

I think you'd be fine using EITHER MEP or Singapore. Both are great. Just realize that MEP is graded differently. Reception = preK, Year 1 = K, Year 2 = first grade, etc.

• 2 months later...

Have you looked at what is available on Currclick? Both Miquon and Math Mammoth are available for download along with lots of other math resources.

We used MUS which I guess won't suit your needs. We also did a season of Singapore.

Julia

We are enjoying Singapore Essentials here. We'll definitely keep it as our K math. I use book B for Kindergarten. I think book A would be a better pre-school math, for my kids anyway. Once they finish book B they move right into Math Mammoth.