Menu

ATTN: Atlanta (Cobb County) folks -- 13 of 17 libraries may CLOSE by end of month

I hope this is ok to post here....

I know this will be for just a very specific group of folks on this board, but I want to spread the word as soon as possible. We use & rely on the library a lot, esp. w/ homeschooling & I know this will concern some of you too...

Cobb County is considering CLOSING 13 (of 17 total) LIBRARIES as soon as April 30!!!! (To put it in perspective, if you check out a book tomorrow [sat.], it will be due on April 30 – the day the library may close forever.)

Please, please, please CALL & EMAIL Bob Ott ASAP:

770-528-3316

bob.ott@cobbcounty.org

Please copy the budget committee with your concerns:

BudgetComments@cobbcounty.org

A little additional info is here:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/27294521/detail.html

Supposedly there will be an open mic at the BOC Regular Meeting @ 9am on Tuesday the 12th:

http://www.cobbcountyga.gov/calendar/calendar.php?type=month&calendar=02

If you are interested in saving your Cobb County libraries, please make your voice heard before Tuesday. Also, please spread the word among your friends & neighbors.

Thanks!

DS was crushed when we told him the news as we use the Cobb County Libraries. He cannot understand how people can close a building with all those BOOKS just waiting to be read.

I am close to the West Cobb Library so we will still be able check out books without too much inconvenience. But I use another library on Tuesdays to do school as we transition from one activity to another. I have no idea where we will go for that couple of hours. Thank goodness we are at the end of the school year.

Very, very sad.:(

I can tell you in our state the library budgets have been affected DRAMATICALLY. They may need to do this just to stay afloat. There may be some options they haven't thought of, so you could try to talk with them about practical measures. For instance the libraries could join together administratively, allowing them to drop personnel but still keep buildings open. Sometimes it's not so easy as it sounds.

It will also impact the arts center. We take lots of arts classes at the Mable House and are really involved in Theater Project. Come see Willy Wonka on April 29, 30, or May 1. It may be their last play. My dd is Charlie; ds grandpa Joe and other dd is in it too! Tickets are 5$ and kids under 12 are free.

This is so sad. My children could not understand why our local library might close. We use the East Marietta branch extensively and go there once or twice a week. It will be very difficult to continue doing SOTW without a library close by. Ugh!

I also feel so bad for the employees. We know several of the librarians on a first name basis -- they always greet us by name and automatically go get my pile of books that are on reserve without me even asking about them.

I can tell you in our state the library budgets have been affected DRAMATICALLY. They may need to do this just to stay afloat.

Yes. No one wants to lose anything that's important to them, but unfortunately budgetary constraints make such measures necessary. Our beloved theater closed because the town couldn't justify keeping it open while laying off police officers. We are hoping a private entity steps in to take over management and reopens it soon. Hope your libraries survive the times.

Thanks for posting--I hadn't heard. We're not in Cobb but pay for a membership because Cobb libraries are better than the one in our county. We also go at least twice a week. We use West Cobb so I imagine we would still have library services, but I'm betting our membership fee goes up again. And while that would be disappointing (pocketbbook-wise), in the long run we use the library so much that it would still be worth it for us.

Just out of curiosity.. could an individual buy said libraries and then do with them as they wish? As in membership only style libraries etc.

Not that it's ideal, but I'm curious about this. Clearly the govt. shutdown effects more then we even think about!

I have wondered what they would do with all those empty buildings and tons of books? Will it be for sale or our they just trying to eliminate costs of running the libraries? I love the Vinings library - it would make an awesome homeschool/tutoring center. I wonder if anyone would even have the money to buy it.

Thanks for posting--I hadn't heard. We're not in Cobb but pay for a membership because Cobb libraries are better than the one in our county. We also go at least twice a week. We use West Cobb so I imagine we would still have library services, but I'm betting our membership fee goes up again. And while that would be disappointing (pocketbbook-wise), in the long run we use the library so much that it would still be worth it for us.

Cinder, that's us, too. Some of the best money we spend is our membership to the Cobb libraries. Guess I'll have to go make friends with the librarians in the county we reside.

I'd be very interested in seeing the libraries which they are considering closing--I'm assuming the "non-regional" ones??

Well, I voted for Bob Ott, come to think of it, so maybe he'll listen to me. :tongue_smilie: I love how the BOC meetings are in the middle of a workday morning, making them difficult to attend. This one is on our LLL day, too, which I'm sort of obligated to attend.

I would gladly consent to paying a higher property tax. I know that not all of Cobb would! But I do wish it were at least on the table.

So sorry to hear that y'all may lose some of your libraries!

Question: Do you already pay for the library usage directly, as in a membership or something? Or is that only for people who are not directly in the area? I've wondered if that would be a reasonable solution for our local system; they haven't closed libraries around here yet, but I know they have at times cut hours because of budget constraints. I've wondered if charging a yearly fee for library or state park usage (both of which are currently free) would be a viable alternative to raising property taxes across the board. Curious as to how that works in other states.

I'd be very interested in seeing the libraries which they are considering closing--I'm assuming the "non-regional" ones??

What the librarian told me is that Central, Mtn. View, & 2 others (I'm thinking one in West Cobb & one in South Cobb) would be saved. All others would close.

:crying:

Question: Do you already pay for the library usage directly, as in a membership or something? Or is that only for people who are not directly in the area? I've wondered if that would be a reasonable solution for our local system; they haven't closed libraries around here yet, but I know they have at times cut hours because of budget constraints. I've wondered if charging a yearly fee for library or state park usage (both of which are currently free) would be a viable alternative to raising property taxes across the board. Curious as to how that works in other states.

For us, if you live in-county, library services are free. If you want to use the library but live outside of the county, you have to pay an annual fee.

They have recently cut library hours & increased late fees as a way to save/raise $$.

:rant: I would gladly pay more tax $$ to keep services such as emergency services, libraries, aquatic centers, art centers, and senior centers (all on the board to be axed right now). Same goes for the local schools (which have had budgets severely cut). Unfortunately (imo), most people around here vote only for more taxes for extra asphalt & new turf for stadiums. You can be sure we'll have plenty of *#!@*#@ roads (to better suit the builders who get carte blanche) & nice football stadiums; everything else can be cut (at least according to many of the voters in my area). :rant:

:rant: I would gladly pay more tax $$ to keep services such as emergency services, libraries, aquatic centers, art centers, and senior centers (all on the board to be axed right now). Same goes for the local schools (which have had budgets severely cut). Unfortunately (imo), most people around here vote only for more taxes for extra asphalt & new turf for stadiums. You can be sure we'll have plenty of *#!@*#@ roads (to better suit the builders who get carte blanche) & nice football stadiums; everything else can be cut (at least according to many of the voters in my area). :rant:

I like the way you think.

That gets a hearty :iagree:!

I, for one, would not mourn our local library and would be happy to trek further away, say to Mountain View. I'd bet that 90% of the traffic our local library gets is by people using the internet, not people who are there to check out books or read. The librarians, especially in the children's department, are sullen and unhelpful, and the selection of books is atrocious. If you want to read the latest Twilight book or some other popular fiction, they're all over it. If you want anything other than twaddle, well, you're pretty much out of luck.

So to my local library, good riddance!

Terri

It's always sports & shopping malls... Don't you know, those are the important things in life. :tongue_smilie:

Here's one of the big problems:

""We have the seventh-highest population, and it’s estimated that illegal immigration costs our state $2.4 billion annually," U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston, a Republican from Savannah, said in one news release.

Kingston’s office said the cost estimate came from a report by the Washington-based Federation for American Immigration Reform. The 102-page report says it costs the state of Georgia and local officials $2.399 billion a year to assist illegal immigrants. That’s a substantial amount of money -- the entire state budget is about $18 billion."

I would suspect the same story is being played out in nearly every other state as well. Perhaps before talking tax increases, the states should be looking at taking care of this issue.

Glad to hear the libraries were saved, though!