Menu

Have you ever hired a professional home organizer?

I can't believe I am even considering this, but I am. I found a thread on here from almost 2.5 years ago on this topic, so I'd be curious to hear if anyone has worked with a professional organizer to declutter your home, and what you think about it all. This week I called a lady with that "official" affiliation (can't think of the designation right now). It would definitely be stretch financially to do this, but I'm sick of organizing being my hobby!

I know I have a hard time letting go of stuff, and frequently feel overwhelmed at the prospect of what to do. I didn't used to be like that, but I have been for a number of years now. My oldest kids could be out of the house in a year, but I still have preschoolers too. I just want to have my life simplified and ... I don't know. I want my older kids to remember a time when I actually kind of had things together! lol But I feel like I *should* be able to do this on my own... yet I haven't made much permanent progress. :(

I've read oodles of books, done FlyLady, etc. My favorite organizer by far has been Peter Walsh, probably because I love his focus on having a vision for the life you want to live, what you want from this space, etc, and then moving toward that and letting the rest fall away, rather than just focusing on the stuff. I do NOT want to just containerize everything -- been there, done that. I actually have probably 8 or so EMPTY large sterilite boxes, so I am making some progress at letting go... it just takes SOOO long to get anything done! And I feel like I spend more time thinking and reading about it then getting the work done.

Sorry for my rambling. Any comments?

I know I have a hard time letting go of stuff, and frequently feel overwhelmed at the prospect of what to do. I didn't used to be like that, but I have been for a number of years now.

I've never hired a professional organizer before, but I think even if you do you'll be back where you are now if you don't work through your issues about why you have trouble letting stuff go. Why do you think that is? I would really think that one through before spending money on a pro. Would it be possible to get a friend who is gifted in simplifying/organizing/decluttering to keep you accountable to working on decluttering for a set period of time everyday? Or maybe you could get them to come to your house for a day to get you started?

I don't know if you've seen it, but there are a group of us doing a 30 day simplification challenge for Lent. Here's a link to the first thread. I've also got the tag "simplicity" on all my blog posts about it. A link to my blog is in my signature.

Edited by fairytalemama

Yes! My aunt gave me several hours with one for my birthday several years ago and it was one of the best gifts. The person I worked with (and most P.O., I imagine) had the attitude that I was doing the work, she was just there to guide and that is accurate of our work together. For me, just knowing I was going to have 2 uninterrupted hours w/ someone was *huge*. I was ready to get rid or and sort stuff, so having a dedicated time to do that was very helpful. I worked quickly and didn't really struggle w/ indecision. When I came to something questionable, the organizer helped move me along by asking some questions, BUT she never said anything along the lines, "You should just get rid of that" There was *no* judgement and she reiterated that I was in charge and making the decisions.

It was such a valuable service for me. She helped group things, made labels and out things in logical order. Someone reading this will probably wonder why you would need someone to help you do this, but it really was accountably and that dedicated, focused, uninterrupted time that was invaluable to me.

I say go for it! Even if you do struggle w/ letting go of stuff, having someone there in a loving, supportive, non-judgmental and probably most importantly, unattached capacity, really is a wonderful gift to give yourself and your family.

Oh, i am a long time connoisseur of organization books, but you can't beat having someone physically present to help start and sometimes maintain, the process. For me, the books were helpful after the fact, after I had myself going the direction I wanted to be going.

HTH! Best :)

I did it - when I was still single. I can organize anyone and anything BUT myself. I'm too close to my own things and emotionally attached. Having an organizer helped me detach and look at my things more objectively. Plus she wouldn't let me get caught up in reading old letters, going through old pictures. It was much more efficient with her. She was worth every. single. penny.

I've thought about hiring another one now that DH and I are finally merging households, but I just can't justify the expense with everything else going on in our lives. So I have to get that mindset back on my own and do it myself.

ARRGH!

Flylady dropout here, too.

I hired someone and she was very helpful. My crisis at that time was paper. Too much paper to keep track of. She helped me attack those seven "company is coming" boxes I had hiding in my bedroom so that I could get ready to do my taxes. She listened to what I needed and worked along side me - getting in there and sorting, helping me decide what to keep and what not to keep. She also worked with me on "assignments" to do between sessions. She helped me understand where I was falling down and how to come up with a maintenance plan. She helped me see some habits and lifestyle choices that were unworkable. Also, she never made me feel bad for the state things were. She understood the source of my clutter. I have talked with other organizers, but didn't hire them because they did not understand the mindset of a cluttered person. She was worth every penny I spent.

I do need her to come back again because my filing helper went to college and I never replaced her. Hence, the current state of my house;). I also could use her help tackling the non-paper clutter in my house.

I did, and she was wonderful! It was my Christmas present in 2006.

She came over and turned our spare bedroom, which had become the dumping ground for anything that didn't have a place, and organized it into our office/school room. I will say that she had no homeschool experience, and it didn't turn out to be the world's greatest set up, but it was MUCH better than before.

Want to know why I remember the year so well? It's because in January 2007 I found out I was pregnant with Schmooey and we had to undo everything and turn it into his nursery. :lol:

I've never hired a professional organizer before, but I think even if you do you'll be back where you are now if you don't work through your issues about why you have trouble letting stuff go. Why do you think that is? I would really think that one through before spending money on a pro. Would it be possible to get a friend who is gifted in simplifying/organizing/decluttering to keep you accountable to working on decluttering for a set period of time everyday? Or maybe you could get them to come to your house for a day to get you started?

I don't know if you've seen it, but there are a group of us doing a 30 day simplification challenge for Lent. Here's a link to the first thread. I've also got the tag "simplicity" on all my blog posts about it. A link to my blog is in my signature.

You make a lot of good points. I'm going to check out those links, thank you! Some of the points in your first paragraph and things I have thought of... and probably part of why I want to do this w/o an organizer person. I have worked with a friend a couple of times and it has gone pretty well. The problem is that she is so busy, and she homeschools, so I feel terribly guilty having her help me. But good food for thought. Thank you.

How do you find someone trustworthy?

How do you know their cost is fair?

:bigear:

Having not actually done this, I can't say for sure. But there is a National Association of Professional Organizers so that's where I went because it seemed like a way to get a more reputable person. You type in your zip code -- they didn't have one in the 25-mile radius, but there was one (just one) in the 50-mile radius for me. I would think asking for references (previous clients) would be a good step. I think $25-$50/hour it pretty common. Probably depends in part on your region.

The gal I called charges $35/hour, plus travel $$ (she lives an hour away from me). So ya, a 4-hour session would be $174 with travel expense. Yikes!! That's a lot. But looking at it as an investment?? IDK. It's still a lot. lol How "bad" a room is and hence how long it would take would vary, of course, but she said that she would be thrilled if we (she said we would work side-by-side) could get through a room in 3 hours. That is a lot of money to me, I'll be honest. But oh, to see some results!! Wouldn't that be fabulous? I'm so easily distracted and filled with indecision....

How about a friend to come and help keep you on task? Sometimes that works.

I have worked with a lady for the last year helping her clean out her condo (she was a hoarder). We only worked 4 hours a week because she was older but we got a lot done and I made some money in the process.

I think she could have done some of it on her own but really it was only when I was there to help her that we got the majority of the work accomplished.

That's why I mention a friend to help.

A good friend of mine did, and it set. her. free. She has so much more time in her day, and a less acquisitive nature to boot. In fact, when her sister-in-law died, the family flew the home-organizer lady across the country to help deal with the home and possessions of the beloved sister-in-law, who was single and had no children to hand things on to. Within three days, the house was completely "dealt with" and my friend came home with the amount of stuff that fit in a backpack: mementos, things that had to be dealt with (credit cards, and so on) and the whole situation that often becomes a nightmare was easy and done.

I am THIS CLOSE to hiring this woman. I need more buy in from my dh though. I am starting to feel like this house and all our stuff is a big ball and chain...but I have 2 packrats to face down first. And some of my own issues, as well.

Patty Joanna,

Is this person local? I think I might be able to hire someone for a day or two, but not fly them from across the country. I am *very* interested. I can see the many ways my disorganization is holding me back, and I want to be free!

I don't really like the term organizing any more. For years I thought if I just organized everything I would be fine. The real answer is to get rid of stuff. Let go of emotional ties to things and get real about whether you are going to use stuff or not. I tossed so many projects not finished or ones I was planning on getting to. Now I don't start any craft projects for myself, unless I finish the one craft I started 7 years ago and still haven't completed. It's saved me a ton of time and money.

I do buy stuff for my kids' crafts and have a bin, but I cull that stuff often and I do deal with a 10yg hoarder. I am trying to let her come around as she is ready.

I don't really like the term organizing any more. For years I thought if I just organized everything I would be fine. The real answer is to get rid of stuff. Let go of emotional ties to things and get real about whether you are going to use stuff or not.

:iagree: totally, 100%!! The one P.O. I did speak to this week assured me that her philosophy is a "less is more" attitude and that, in her mind, the very last step is organizing with containers, etc. That should only be done after all the letting go. You know, the whole, "we use 20% of our stuff 80% of the time." That is the idea I'm working off of, but it's still so hard! I'm fighting myself, knowing I can rationalize keeping just about anything because I will need / might need it, etc. Any tips for how to stay in the letting go mode? I get a lot done when I'm there, but don't spend nearly enough time in that frame of mind. ;)

:iagree: totally, 100%!! The one P.O. I did speak to this week assured me that her philosophy is a "less is more" attitude and that, in her mind, the very last step is organizing with containers, etc. That should only be done after all the letting go. You know, the whole, "we use 20% of our stuff 80% of the time." That is the idea I'm working off of, but it's still so hard! I'm fighting myself, knowing I can rationalize keeping just about anything because I will need / might need it, etc. Any tips for how to stay in the letting go mode? I get a lot done when I'm there, but don't spend nearly enough time in that frame of mind. ;)

I go through the whole house in a couple days every 2-3 months. Decluttering and reorganizing is a constant battle. Once things start to get cluttery I try to schedule time to attend to it. Sometimes I'll just pick one area a day to tackle. Homeschooling and having lots of kids does exacerbate the problem.

If you are drowning I'd see if you could get some time to work for a weekend or week. Can your kids help you or go to grandma's? Or can dad take the kids away? That is how I started battling the clutter. Now, I can toss & reorganize more regularly in less time.

Talk to your dh about setting some time aside to combat the clutter and really knock it out. Maintenance isn't so bad the next time. Good luck.

Wow! there were so many good thoughts and suggestions shared here. Thank you all so much! I have tried working with a friend, but we're both so busy it's hard to make time that fits both our lives. I guess we'll just be grateful for the few times it works out for us.

I think my current plan is to really commit myself to getting RID of stuff and see how I'm doing in 3 months time. And perhaps pray for discernment because I have a really hard time not justifying keeping everything for a I-might-need-it-someday scenario. Maybe I should find a declutter buddy who is either doing the same thing or to whom I can report my progress. Maybe that would make me more accountable?? Not sure.

But I did spend several hours cleaning out one small basement room this weekend -- largely a storage area for surplus food and household paper/cleaning products. It looks SOOO good!! Even my kids noticed how easy it is to walk around in there now. I am embarrassed to say I threw out a bunch of expired canned food (ah... rotation!), but it feels great to have the area looking so much better.

Now I just need to build on that momentum -- thank you for all your help!

I would love to be on one of those TV shows...not because I love reality TV, but because they eventually get nice new organizing things! What I have works, and I'm organized to a fairly reasonable degree (except the garage, which is my husband's domain). Of course I have a closet that I don't necessarily care to clean out as frequently, but everything else has a place and a spot.

Maybe I get the PO for my HUSBAND. :lol: