Menu

A reason to teach your kids math

From our local police blotter:

Playing mind games with a cashier

Police responded to Papa Murphy’s Pizza Take ‘N’ Bake Pizza, where a man had allegedly played mind games with a cashier through cash exchanges to steal $118 just before 4 p.m. March 12. The man — who the employee said was black, in his mid-20s, about 5-feet 4-inches tall with a five-inch ponytail — first purchased a $1.30 soda and paid for it with a $20 bill. When the employee tried to give the man his $18.70 in change, the man said he didn’t want coins. The man instead suggested that he give employee a $1 in exchange for a $20 bill in change. After this, the man allegedly pulled a wad of cash from his pocket and began fooling the employee with other cash exchanges. After the man left, the employee checked his till and discovered the man had taken $118, so he called police. The employee apologized, saying “I’m sorry, I should have known. I’m really bad at math.â€

people tried this with me often when I was a cashier at a restaurant near D-land. It wasn't just the math, they wanted to fluster you and confuse you in the middle of what you were doing..get you lost. You would start to count back the change and they would say, never mind, add this..or take this thing away..or can I have a five instead, and they would keep adding tasks to what you were doing. I was trained to put the original bill on the top of the drawer- count out the change and tell them to wait till I finish this transaction and then I can do the other thing they wanted. It was a little maddening to know that someone was probably trying to steal from you.

people tried this with me often when I was a cashier at a restaurant near D-land. It wasn't just the math, they wanted to fluster you and confuse you in the middle of what you were doing..get you lost. You would start to count back the change and they would say, never mind, add this..or take this thing away..or can I have a five instead, and they would keep adding tasks to what you were doing. I was trained to put the original bill on the top of the drawer- count out the change and tell them to wait till I finish this transaction and then I can do the other thing they wanted. It was a little maddening to know that someone was probably trying to steal from you.

This is what I was taught while waitressing in high school.

I cashiered for over 15 years at various places..... you learn to stand up to them. After awhile it gets to be great fun. :)

It happened to me. Almost. One of the advantages of being a naturally suspicious person was that the overly charming individual who attempted this set off alarm bells in my head.

That almost happened to me once. I worked at a uniquely busy McDonald's, and they would come in at our two super busy months of the year. When the manager saw what was happening, she quietly stood right behind me and watched, which was unnerving, but I still got through the idiot customer without him stealing. (Barely, he was getting on my nerves, which is his point.) Anyway, she told me afterwards about the scam. I think that's something they should probably train you for BEFORE they put you on a drawer, personally.

I was a cashier when I was younger and someone tried to do this to me. I insisted on doing each transaction completely before allowing an "exchange" and he wasn't able to complete the scam. It really does help when you know how to count change without the cash register.

I've knowingly stopped this once from happening to me and been "had" once. The time the guy got away with it I was working alone and knew in my gut something was up, but since I was alone and dealing with several customers at once (and no I wasn't supposed to be, but that's another story) I couldn't stop and accuse the man. He hadn't been gone but a few minutes before my boss walked in and I immediately looked at him and told him I needed to count the till. Sure enough I was about $100 short.

I worked at a gas station and we were trained to do this as well as trained to count back change if needed. Poor girl.