Menu

s/o What do you feel your ADHD/ADD person (kid, parent, friend, etc) needs to succee?

This is a post of general dialog and questions, not expecting specific answers. I am just interested in hearing people's thoughts on this topic. Feel free to take this thread where ever it leads.

What makes homeschool work for your ADD/ADHD child?

If they attended traditional school in the past, what worked/didn't work?

If you are medicating them (even with caffeine)....what if you stopped? What would need to change to be med-free?

Is ADD/ADHD the the main reason for hsing?

This is a post of general dialog and questions, not expecting specific answers. I am just interested in hearing people's thoughts on this topic. Feel free to take this thread where ever it leads.

If you are medicating them (even with caffeine)....what if you stopped? What would need to change to be med-free?

My son is not diagnosed ADHD but he might have been if he stayed in school. He was homeschooled due to learning difficulties and his dad and half sister are both ADHD.

Homeschooling worked for him because I could sit with him and help him focus, day after day, week after week, year after year. I could cater to his quirks. I could move at his pace. I could balance academics and physical activity. I could do a lot of work orally as his writing ability was well behind his ability to learn. Basically, the one on one attention was the key. ANd I will also say....the methodology of copywork, dictation and narration just worked so wonderfully.

He attended 4yo kindergarten, preprimary, 1st grade and the first half of 2nd grade. Kindy and preprimary worked well for him- he mostly played and he did get a good foundation of phonics, and the atmosphere was kind. 1st grade taught reading in a large room of 50 or 60 kids, with parent helpers moving from kids to kid. It was a disaster. Ds also was not ready to read, or at least, not under those circumstances. By 2nd grade he was "behind" and the teacher wanted me to work with him at home- which we couldnt do because he was so stressed out by school by then. And the teacher sat him next to a very advanced Asian kid, thinking it might rub off or something- instead, his self esteem plummeted.

f you are medicating them (even with caffeine)....what if you stopped? What would need to change to be med-free?

Not so relevant to us- we specifically avoided all medications as we are both natural therapists. We tried various things including caffeine, fish oils etc but never stayed with anything for very long. The biggest change was effected with 6 solid months of educational kinesiology.

Originally, ds's learning issues were the reason for homeschooling. Within a short time we realised the many other benefits and pulled dd out of school although she was happy and thriving there, because we recognised the lifestyle of homeschooling was wholesome and it appealed to us deeply.

The LDs were still a solid reason to homeschool but were no longer the only ones.

My adhd kiddo was homeschooled from the beginning and I began to notice that he was not able to comprehend what I was teaching him when he was 8. He was just going along and nodding so I would leave him alone. I don't believe only homeschooling would work for him. Medication and one-on-one instruction is the key.

When my ds is not medicated it is very noticeable. We cannot stop.

No, but it sure has helped. Medication, patience, treating him with respect, coaching him in social skills, having time to reach his heart has made it well worth it. He is actually easier to homeschool than his sisters now. My dh is also adhd and often kids that have adhd are met with harshness from adults that don't understand. I've been able to make sure that doesn't happen, and although my kiddo does tend to get upset at times from frustration, this is getting less and less often. He is a happy, loving kid, and others now notice that, too.

PS. I was the person saying that I didn't believe in adhd & kids are too medicated. When I had the dx slap me in the face with my ds I realized until you experience adhd first hand you really don't get it.

Edited by True Blue

None of my children are ADD but I am. I never heard of that dx until I was an adult. I wasn't dx until a year ago, age 42 and everything fell into place. :tongue_smilie:

Why would homeschool work well for ADD/ADHD? It allows us to take our time and process the information in the way we need to approach it. I wasn't a great student in high school because I had no organization or study skills. We blamed it on my not being smart. I wonder if I would have been a better student if I had had this knowledge back then. Since figuring this all out, we've done better at homeschooling. My kids have definitely benefitted from the changes I've made. I just wish I had known all of this earlier in our homeschooling.

what works for us:

a schedule

outdoor time before learning time

no media until after work is done

a peaceful learning environment

books and work pages that aren't "cluttered" with "interesting" (read distracting) visuals.

an earlier bedtime, because sleep is interrupted at least once a night

touch helps ground and settle

short lessons

playing a musical instrument, singing

working on how to refocus frequently.

hth,

ann

My son has always been homeschooled. Some of the things that work are:

a schedule that's not too rigid

allowing him to physically move while learning

Actually I think what works for ADHD kids is exactly what's great about homeschooling in general - that you can tailor the education style to fit the child's learning style.

Occasionally we don't give him his medication. It is very noticeable. The "H" as you may or may not know, should be an "I" for impulse control. That's the biggest thing medication does for my son. It helps him with impulse control.

He's old enough now that he knows he needs medication. Sometimes on a weekend if we're just hanging around and he knows he won't be in a social setting with others, he'll ask not to take it. Those days are rare though.

No, but once he was diagnosed, I was glad we were homeschooling. As a former exceptional ed. teacher, I know how difficult the traditional school setting is for kids like him.

PS. I was the person saying that I didn't believe in adhd & kids are too medicated. When I had the dx slap me in the face with my ds I realized until you experience adhd first hand you really don't get it.

I was never one of those people, but I always used to say that if someone who didn't believe in it could spend an hour with my kid, him unmedicated, they'd believe. I know people IRL who won't admit their kid has ADD or ADHD, and I truly feel sorry for those children because I know how hard things are for them.

It's nice to "meet" someone who, when confronted with it, didn't go into denial.

Medication is a personal decision, but I don't think the label itself is a bad thing. It helps both the child and those around him to know he isn't lazy, not trying, should just pay attention, etc. It doesn't excuse anything, but helps explain much. And it helps me to know there are specific ways to help my son, that might not be what you would do with a child who doesn't have ADHD.

I am mildly ADD now, but it was much worse about 6 years ago.

What helped me the most, hands down, was my dh understanding that I didn't MEAN to be like that. It wasn't on purpose. He was very understanding and helped me stay focused when he saw me veering off.

As far as homeschooling with ADD, a schedule is essential for me. I would assume that a schedule would also help an ADD child.

What makes homeschool work for your ADD/ADHD child? flexibility, small group ratio, being home with family and love/security...

If they attended traditional school in the past, what worked/didn't work? my dd has always been h'schooled

If you are medicating them (even with caffeine)....what if you stopped? well, my dd has been on meds since diagnosis came in. stim/med died work for dd in the beginning, but now it makes her agressvie/rage. i've been withholding adderall for a week. read Asta/Ottakee's and others in my s.n. thread.

What would need to change to be med-free? DD to act more normal...don't know what other word to use here. this has been a hard road here. she would need to exhibit respect for others, self, property, focus, processing and memory improvement, etc

Is ADD/ADHD the the main reason for hsing? no, i started when she was in K and her diagnosis/symptoms did not come in for 2-3 years later. I've always "wanted" to h'school. now with her behavior, I don't "want" to as much, but i try to persevere.

Oh Tap, maybe you've read some threads on the s.n. board...

What makes homeschool work for your ADD/ADHD child? Frequent breaks, interest-specific topics and books (vs. dry textbooks) integrated into everything, being allowed to read upside down and work with toys in hand. Oh, and the fact that I can discipline her on the spot, vs. waiting for a teacher to schedule a conference about work or behavior. ;)

If they attended traditional school in the past, what worked/didn't work? N/A

If you are medicating them (even with caffeine)....what if you stopped? What would need to change to be med-free? N/A

Is ADD/ADHD the the main reason for hsing? Nope. Just a fortunate side issue.

My dd isn't officially diagnosed (I am, though!), but our pediatrician agrees with my assessment of her.

I have finally had a chance to come back and post to my own thread. LOL

Ds16 was a busy, bright kid. Busy, but not ADHD. He could concentrate and did great in school. He was always one of the teachers favorite kids.

Dh on the other hand was diagnosed ADHD as a child and put on Ritalin. Dh hated the way it made him feel (I think his dose was too high) and swore he would never do that to his own kid.

Ds asked to homeschool starting in 5th grade. He hated all the distractions in class and gave me a list of reasons why homeschooling would be better for him. I didn't think much of it and I agreed to homeschool him.

Homeschooling was great for him. He loved it. He was very independent and achieved a lot. He kept his own schedule and did great with it.

He outpaced me academically in 9th grade. For 10th grade he attended a magnet school within a large (2000+ students) highschool that had an open floor plan.

He struggled with the distractions again for the first time. Not, the work...the work was easy for him. I talked to dh, and he agreed to a trial. We went to the pediatrician and we decided to try medication for ADD. He barely qualified on the tests, but his pediatrician said...."the medication will either work, or it won't". So we decided to let that be our guide. Ds increased by a tablet each day for a few days. At first he said nothing was different.....until he hit the right dose. HE WAS AMAZED. He could finally concentrate through most distractions. He said he finally felt normal.

At home, he didn't have to keep working to a clock. No one said "you only have 40 minutes for that science exam" or "you need to turn in 5 paragraphs by the end of class". The only time we see his ADD as a problem is when he has to maintain concentration on one topic, for a 30 minutes or so. He only takes the med, is on days that he has several classes and/or homework or a timed event.

After seeing ds's success with the medication, dh also went to the Dr. He also started on the same med, and found results at the same dose.

Now, they both take it. LOL For them it is definitely not ADHD, but it is ADD. What it helps them with is staying on one task at a time. They would both get distracted and go off on so many tangents that it would take them a long time to get a single item done. They would accomplish 5 things during that time, but it was hard when you had to complete a single thing, in a short amount of time.

They are both fine multitaskers.....but when dh had to get a report to his boss, being a multitasker slowed him down. For ds, his mind would wander, and his body would follow. He would find himself working on completely different items that when he started, with out completing the first.

Now in college, ds16 is noticing again, how much he struggles with distractions and pacing issues. He looses his place when reading and finds that his mind drifted off, several sentences ago. He struggles with timed tests...not the material on them...but he runs out of time. The meds help a lot, but not enough.

He is, his father. I have no doubt that ds will succeed in life, but I wonder what that will look like for him. He is very, very smart...but if you can't complete a task in a 'typical' amount of time, how does that affect employment opportunities?

In some ways I have considered asking ds to come back to homeschool for his senior year. Then to use the time to study and CLEP more credits so he is out of the 'timed test' pressure of college. To improve his grades and to move forward at his own pace. But, then, I realize that these are skills he needs in life. That he is learning to pace tests and to adapt. He is going for a science degree ans will like end up with at least a PHD or Doctorate. (not md). He has A LOT of school ahead of him.

Then I watch things like the video in the other post, and I think, maybe a different style of education would benefit him more. There are alternative ways to learn many subjects in college...should we be looking for more of those? Or does he need to just conform and move on?

I never, ever in a million years would have thought that ADD would be the one thing that would hold my son back in life. He is so smart, diligent, interesting in learning and motivated...how did we get here?

Now in college, ds16 is noticing again, how much he struggles with distractions and pacing issues. He looses his place when reading and finds that his mind drifted off, several sentences ago. He struggles with timed tests...not the material on them...but he runs out of time. The meds help a lot, but not enough.

He is, his father. I have no doubt that ds will succeed in life, but I wonder what that will look like for him. He is very, very smart...but if you can't complete a task in a 'typical' amount of time, how does that affect employment opportunities?

In some ways I have considered asking ds to come back to homeschool for his senior year. Then to use the time to study and CLEP more credits so he is out of the 'timed test' pressure of college. To improve his grades and to move forward at his own pace. But, then, I realize that these are skills he needs in life. That he is learning to pace tests and to adapt. He is going for a science degree ans will like end up with at least a PHD or Doctorate. (not md). He has A LOT of school ahead of him.

Then I watch things like the video in the other post, and I think, maybe a different style of education would benefit him more. There are alternative ways to learn many subjects in college...should we be looking for more of those? Or does he need to just conform and move on?

I never, ever in a million years would have thought that ADD would be the one thing that would hold my son back in life. He is so smart, diligent, interesting in learning and motivated...how did we get here?

I feel that AD/H/D is much like the autism spectrum (and likely even *part* of the autism spectrum, depending on how you look at it) in that every person is going to be different, so there's no definitive right answer. With meds or without, everything is trial and error. It's certainly frustrating to those with it and those around them, but at least we know a bit more than we did years ago.

If he's determined to go for that PhD, I do think he will need to find a way to conform, for output at least. That doesn't mean he (or you) can't nose around the internet and look into creative ways to input the information!

I feel that AD/H/D is much like the autism spectrum (and likely even *part* of the autism spectrum, depending on how you look at it) in that every person is going to be different, so there's no definitive right answer. With meds or without, everything is trial and error. It's certainly frustrating to those with it and those around them, but at least we know a bit more than we did years ago.

If he's determined to go for that PhD, I do think he will need to find a way to conform, for output at least. That doesn't mean he (or you) can't nose around the internet and look into creative ways to input the information![/QUOTE]

I agree. This term we are trying something different. We are adding a few different things to his schedule in college. He is taking Chemistry and Writing 101 but we are adding piano and PE-weight training. We are trying to look for ways to maintain a full time status, but using classes that don't require the same mental concentration. That way he will have more time (if he gets distracted) to complete things like homework etc.

I also have to let go of the idea that he will maintain a high GPA. He is 16yo and in College Chem2 (the upper level math based option) and College Calc2 right now. He was slated to get his AA degree before he would have graduated high school. He is capable academically, but not with the time constraints. He loves college, doesn't find the material too hard and really wants to stay there. This is NOT and issue of him being immature, or pushed too hard, too fast. He is the one who has pulled me along academically.

I remember having friends in college who got As and I never understood how they did it. They honestly weren't that bright. On the other hand, I know people who were crazy smart and creative, who got Bs and Cs. I never got it. I always attributed it to effort. NOW, as an adult, I do 'get it'. School isn't just about how smart you are, it is equal parts of how you test. The tests don't always show the creative part, the part of pulling the content of different classes together, or the actual understanding of material (not just memorization/regurgitation).

I agree. This term we are trying something different. We are adding a few different things to his schedule in college. He is taking Chemistry and Writing 101 but we are adding piano and PE-weight training. We are trying to look for ways to maintain a full time status, but using classes that don't require the same mental concentration. That way he will have more time (if he gets distracted) to complete things like homework etc.

I don't know what his activities are like now, but PE classes sound like a great idea. It's been proven that regular exercise activities will help with focus! And I'd pull up links to support that if I didn't have a good 20 tabs open right now. :lol::lol::lol:

I thinks one of the most important thing my adhd boys need is to learn that their actions have consequences, that they cannot blame the adhd, and they have to WANT to work through their adhd challenges. When they become adults, the officer wont excuse a speeding ticked because of adhd... their boss wont continue their employment when they cannot get up or follow instructions or lack basic common sense needed "because they have adhd". They have to learn basic skills and live them out and want to overcome. They need to understand that their WILL is important. They have to WANT to overcome challenges. When my adhd sons have a goal that really, truly means something to them... when they are working for something of incredible value to them, they SHOW us that they can overcome a lot of their challenges. On a daily basis, if they really don't care, they get very "adhd"ish and fail in many ways.

So, for ultimate life success, I think they have to know what the adhd is, develop self control skills to control it (having a reason that matters to them) and know that if they choose not to, that they will suffer real life consequences. Life isn't easy for most of us. It will not be easy on them.

I thinks one of the most important thing my adhd boys need is to learn that their actions have consequences,

This is one of the most difficult things for people with ADHD, and I emphasize the H. Impulse control is hard because that split second where most of say to ourselves, "Wait, is this a good idea to do this?" is lacking due to a lack of dopamine. My son can tell you what he did wrong and why he shouldn't have done it after he does it. This leads people to say, "See, he knew it was wrong and he did it anyway". People with ADHD have hindsight, but have to work very hard at foresight. I can't imagine how difficult that is, but I have to say it often breaks my heart when I see my son struggle through this.

No, ADHD is not an excuse, but I do wish the outside world had more understanding of the difficulty our kids with ADHD face.

This is one of the most difficult things for people with ADHD, and I emphasize the H. Impulse control is hard because that split second where most of say to ourselves, "Wait, is this a good idea to do this?" is lacking due to a lack of dopamine. My son can tell you what he did wrong and why he shouldn't have done it after he does it. This leads people to say, "See, he knew it was wrong and he did it anyway". People with ADHD have hindsight, but have to work very hard at foresight. I can't imagine how difficult that is, but I have to say it often breaks my heart when I see my son struggle through this.

No, ADHD is not an excuse, but I do wish the outside world had more understanding of the difficulty our kids with ADHD face.

And knowing my daughter is "worse" than I ever was... Well, it's overwhelming!

I feel that AD/H/D is much like the autism spectrum (and likely even *part* of the autism spectrum, depending on how you look at it) in that every person is going to be different, so there's no definitive right answer. ways to input the information!

It is interesting that you mention this. We watched Temple Grandin recently. I commented to dh, how much the traits of Aspergers/Autism fit ds. He is definitely not, but there has to be a line between someone having traits and qualifying for diagnosis. I feel that he is on the 'normal' side of this line, but close to that line.

I have researched Aspergers a lot (dd4 is PDD). There are so many traits that ds16 has.....but more that he doesn't.

But, is it just that he has ADD and many of the same traits over lap? Is it just coincidence?

Over the past 6 years, I have had a friend who has a daughter with Aspergers (high functioning but debilitated by the social parts). We have talked so many times about how ds16 has some of the same traits, but wasn't considered Aspie. He was 'normal". We talked about, how even 'normal' people struggle with some of the same issues. Now, it is becoming clearer that he is closer to that line, than we ever expected. LOL

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

It is interesting that you mention this. We watched Temple Grandin recently. I commented to dh, how much the traits of Aspergers/Autism fit ds. He is definitely not, but there has to be a line between someone having traits and qualifying for diagnosis. I feel that he is on the 'normal' side of this line, but close to that line.

I have researched Aspergers a lot (dd4 is PDD). There are so many traits that ds16 has.....but more that he doesn't.

But, is it just that he has ADD and many of the same traits over lap? Is it just coincidence?

That would be the question!

ADHD is often diagnosed comorbid with ASDs, so there's that. ADD and ASDs often run together in families (like ours), so there's that. Ds and I probably share more traits that dd and I do, yet he doesn't qualify as ADD and I don't qualify as ASD.

It's a subject I'd love to get into, professionally. I've become obsessed with the brain and mind. Maybe one day I'll get over my fear of the prerequisite blood and guts classes. :tongue_smilie:

I have one son who has aspergers and two sons with adhd. One of the adhd sons has some similarities with aspergers, the other not at all that I notice. The two with adhd have different challenges... on has a very hard time because he is hyper, the other not so much, but he has a very hard time with impulsivity. My aspergers son does not have any hyper challenges or impulive behaviour challenges... his stemming is related to sensory integration disorder and the autistic spectrum, it's not at all impulsive IMO. Ask me in a few months... and my answer will probably be different. In our experience the behavior ebbs and flows (is that the correct phrase?)... and I think totally differently about it all now than I did a year ago!

When I first titled this post I had ADD/ADHD/ASD/SID listed. But I ran out of room, and thought.....people will wonder why I grouped ADD/ADHD with ASD/SID issues. I see so much coorelation in my mind, but I wasn't sure if others did as well.

I guess they do! :001_smile:

That would be the question!

ADHD is often diagnosed comorbid with ASDs, so there's that. ADD and ASDs often run together in families (like ours), so there's that. Ds and I probably share more traits that dd and I do, yet he doesn't qualify as ADD and I don't qualify as ASD.

It's a subject I'd love to get into, professionally. I've become obsessed with the brain and mind. Maybe one day I'll get over my fear of the prerequisite blood and guts classes. :tongue_smilie:

Oh my goodness...my dh and I were just talking about this in the car today...our dd is diagnosed ADHD combined...she is 3 1/2 and out of control. There are things about her that SCREAM austim spectrum like funny speech patterns that should have been grown out of over a year ago, melt downs just like our cousin with ASD, diagnosed SPD, and ticks like rubbing bony body parts. If it wasn't for the fact that her social skills are one step up from ASD I would think she had HF Asbergers. I do wonder if they go hand in hand/along the same spectrum.

All that said on the the OP question:

I am researching homeschooling because of my daughter's ADHD...as of right now even the SpEd's agree she is not in any way able to function in a classroom, she is too out of control. I want to homeschool because school work can get done even if jumping jacks, running around the table and talking the whole time are what gets it done. In a normal school that would not even be an option because it would disruptive.

As for meds, we just started them and honestly I love them. The meds she is on are not stimulant but work to slow her down and decrease impulsivity. It has been AMAZING and I never thought that meds could do that but it did. If we were to be med free there would have to be a lot of behavior modification and basically white washed nothing in it house. Right now she is not ready for that.

I do wish that people understood ADHD a little better. We get so many looks from people that really don't get it. They don't understand that dragging my screaming child out of a building is a normal occurrence for us and that their nasty looks are not going to get the job accomplished sooner or get her to stop screaming...it would be better if they just held the door open so we can get out.

When I first titled this post I had ADD/ADHD/ASD/SID listed. But I ran out of room, and thought.....people will wonder why I grouped ADD/ADHD with ASD/SID issues. I see so much coorelation in my mind, but I wasn't sure if others did as well.

I guess they do! :001_smile:

You are definitely far from alone!!! :D

I do wish that people understood ADHD a little better. We get so many looks from people that really don't get it. They don't understand that dragging my screaming child out of a building is a normal occurrence for us and that their nasty looks are not going to get the job accomplished sooner or get her to stop screaming...it would be better if they just held the door open so we can get out.

I agree, in theory. ;)

In practice, well, it's an invisible diagnosis. As a person who will see a child throwing a fit and immediately play "Hm, I wonder what he's got", I'm beginning to see how that outlook could be nearly as dangerous as "All kids who can't act 'appropriately' are beasts."

I do my best (which isn't always successful, lol) to be happy for the people who have no real reason to try to understand neurological differences.

When my Asperger's son was younger and first diagnosed, I seriously considered carrying around little business cards (saw them somewhere online) that said something to the effect of "What you are witnessing is a child with Asperger's. <Something, something, something.> Please do not judge my parenting skills."

But then I figured it'd be too much of a pain to try to dig them out while dealing with a meltdown!

-one-to-one teaching and sitting beside her during homework time to "rope" her back in when a mote of dust flies by.

- organized school boxes for each separate subject that has a sharpened pencil, her glasses and book or workbook for that subject. She has the plastic drawers from Walmart for this. Shelving things was too distracting and time consuming.

-a daily check list of assignments with a clear consequence (early bedtime with the babies) if it's not all done.

- an early morning start @ 6 a.m. before the little people get up. We do 90 minutes of instruction before breakfast and we're able to get Math and Reading done.

-laps around the cul-de-sac or backyard when focusing isn't happening. Don't fight it. Stop. Address it with exercise or food. And then get back to work.

No she's never attended PS. It wouldn't work. Her ADHD seems more active at the end of the day and doing homework during that time would be awful

If you are medicating them (even with caffeine)....what if you stopped?

She took meds for 3 years. We had to stop because of the side affects and because it was affecting her vision

What would need to change to be med-free?

A good protein-rich diet that's free of preservatives, food coloring, HFCS, CS, lots of sleep & exercise. A support group for Mom & Dad too.

Nope. I didn't believe in it when we started. Like another person said it's one of those things you have to live to understand.

:001_smile:

Edited by CalicoKat