Menu

Looking at a new vehicle - minivan drivers???

We are breaking down and looking at minivans. So, if I have to drive a minivan, I want it to be the coolest minivan on the block - but I can't/won't afford $35-40000 for a vehicle. If I could pull that off I'd get a Buick Enclave.

So - does anyone have a VW Routan? Chrysler T&C? We're looking at the 2010 models - the new ones are being sold at used car prices right now and they look - not terrible. Apparently they're the same vehicle essentially, just different interior and the suspension is different on the VW.

Somehow the thought of a VW van doesn't offend my sensibilities quite as much as some of the others. I can paint flowers on it and pretend it's a hippie love van, right?

The Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna go back and forth every couple years as the "best minivan." Things likes handling, reliability, safety, MPG, etc.

We had a Plymouth Grand Voyager (aka Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Grand Caravan). It was okay, but it fell apart too quickly, IMO. I would probably steer clear of Chrysler branded minivans. The one great thing about the T & C is the Stow and Go seating.

We have a Chrysler Pacifica right now and I love it. It's just not quite big enough for 4 kids and a big dog. Plus, there isn't any cargo space to speak of.

The VW doesn't have the stow and go - they put in VW seats which are really comfy - very important to me because we drive a LOT.

The Honda and Toyota may be great, but they are very pricey. We're looking at used and to get one in our price range they would have to have a LOT of miles already. I know it's a trade off, but I'd rather have a newish vehicle with fewer miles and more amenities than not. KWIM?

I agree with the poster that said she'd steer clear of Chryslers. I had a 2005n T&C with the stow and go seats and other than that it was a nightmare. I was constantly taking it in for service, and didn't enjoy driving it at all. I couldn't wait to get rid of it, and it didn't hold it's value at all. DH recently traded it in on a 2007 Ford Expedition and I'm in heaven. I love my beast of a truck, although it's not for everyone. We got it for 15,000 and it had about 50,000 miles on it, so not bad. I know there have been discussions of paint and rusting issues with my truck, but we've had it checked out and seems we've gotten a good one that isn't experiencing those problems.

If I had to get a minivan again, I'd probably try to get a Honda Odyssey.

We have a Chrysler Pacifica right now and I love it. It's just not quite big enough for 4 kids and a big dog. Plus, there isn't any cargo space to speak of.

The VW doesn't have the stow and go - they put in VW seats which are really comfy - very important to me because we drive a LOT.

The Honda and Toyota may be great, but they are very pricey. We're looking at used and to get one in our price range they would have to have a LOT of miles already. I know it's a trade off, but I'd rather have a newish vehicle with fewer miles and more amenities than not. KWIM?

Ahh, but those are Toyota miles. On sale 2 for 1 vs Chrysler miles!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Toyota with 150,000 miles on it. It still has at least half its life left.

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country. Normally, I run far away from Chrysler as the van before this was a Plymouth Grand Voyager where the transmission went (fortunately 100 miles before my warranty expired) but it was never the same after that. I was constantly bringing it in for service.

But, back to this van. It is older so it does not have to stow and go seating or any fancy bells and whistles but it gets me from point a to point b. The worst thing so far was last year the ac broke. The 2 most expensive parts, of course.

In our second Honda Odyssey here. We love it. Even hubby loves to drive it. My oldest kiddos are growing up and starting college and so pretty soon we will probably go into something a little smaller, but only because I hate to drive an 8 passenger van with only 2 or 3 of us in it.

We bought a used Honda Odyssey last year. Paid $2500 for a 1996 model with 238,000 miles. So far we did have to replace a radiator hose but it drives/handles beautifully. I really feel like if it were, say, a GMC, it wouldn't even be on the road above say, work-truck capacity, at that mileage. I feel like I should knock on wood now! But we love it, have been converted to Honda Odysseys and would buy a new one if we could afford it! Honda is also good about adding little extras to their base models. For example, ours is power everything, sunroof too. Did I say we love it?!

We are shopping for a new family vechicle as well. The one van to stay away from I would say is anything Chevy, mine has been a nightmare even though it has 127K miles its been in shop so much could have bought a new car long ago.

We are looking at the Volvo XC90 though, their prices are about the same as most mini vans and will seat 7, just doesn't have the mom-mobile look.

Post pictures of the new ride when you get it. :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

The Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna go back and forth every couple years as the "best minivan." Things likes handling, reliability, safety, MPG, etc.

We had a Plymouth Grand Voyager (aka Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Grand Caravan). It was okay, but it fell apart too quickly, IMO. I would probably steer clear of Chrysler branded minivans. The one great thing about the T & C is the Stow and Go seating.

Everything she said :)

We bought our 2003 Honda Odyssey in 2005 with about 65,000 miles on it. We got a great deal on it because of the higher mileage. It now has about 145,000 miles on it, and still drives wonderfully. We haven't had to do anything to it other than routine maintenance so far. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy either a Toyota or a Honda with higher mileage.

I would steer clear of Chrysler/Dodge minivans. Two of my family members drive these minivans and have had major issues with transmission, alternator, belts, etc. even with fewer miles. YMMV

We bought a 2010 T&C in August. I really like it. Before that I had a 2005 T&C and would have kept it but sold it to buy a Dodge Magnum. That was (A LOT OF) fun for a while but reality sank in and with four kids I really had to have a minivan again. I hate it that others have had problems with their Town & Country vans.

Some of the reasons we bought another one are because they were cheaper than others we looked at, had great features and it was really easy to drive. The main reason we bought/buy Chrysler/Dodge is because my brother is a Chrysler tech and I favor trusting the mechanic over nearly anything else, so obviously my decisions were biased. That said, they really have been great cars for us.

We just this week replaced our '01 Toyota Sienna with an '07 Sienna that seats 8--LOVE it! Great handling, comfy, enough room, even when we are ALL in the vehicle, good mpg, the back seats fold in and the middle seats flip up, etc, etc. I was so happy to get into another Sienna, because we drove the other one hard, and it was still a really good car for us. I can't say enough good things about the Siennas.:D:lol:

Edited by Caitilin

We like our Kia Sedona, it's named best minivan for the money. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Minivans/

We got the middle of the road model (LX) with tax and tags for under $20,000 new.

What sold us was dh is very tall, thus our kids are likely to be and it had the most leg/hip room in all three rows. That and the power, this had the most get up and go. Can't beat the 10 year warranty either.

We are able to all three kids and two dogs in their crate along with all of our gear comfortably. I even fit an 8' shower tile in it (while the kids were along) to make our white board with - LOL.

We looked at the Sedona. Still pondering that one. Also the Nissan Quest. I have a friend that has one she bought years ago and loves it. Nissan also has a fantastic warranty.

We like our Kia Sedona, it's named best minivan for the money. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Minivans/

We got the middle of the road model (LX) with tax and tags for under $20,000 new.

What sold us was dh is very tall, thus our kids are likely to be and it had the most leg/hip room in all three rows. That and the power, this had the most get up and go. Can't beat the 10 year warranty either.

We are able to all three kids and two dogs in their crate along with all of our gear comfortably. I even fit an 8' shower tile in it (while the kids were along) to make our white board with - LOL.

We have a Hyundai Entourage, which is essentially the same thing as the Kia. I LOVE it. It was 12k 2 years ago for an 07 with 40k miles. We haven't had a single problem and it drives like a dream Def had the best get up and go of all the ones we test drove. I will admit to getting it because I couldn't touch a Honda or Toyota with a 10' pole in my price range. I'm certain that if I could have afforded it I would have bought a Honda. But honestly, now that I have my Hyundai, I won't ever pay those kinds of prices for "name brand" again.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Nissan Quest. We have a 2007 Quest and bought it when we had our second child. I was anti minivan all the way....so I settled for the more "modern" looking Quest. It has been GREAT! We've never had any problems with it and it has tons of trunk space.

What I really want.....is a Ford Flex. :D

I've had my Odyssey for almost 7 yrs and I love it. Love the auto doors and seats are pretty comfy. Mine doesn't have the auto hatch door which is the one thing I wish it had though-my next one will have that for sure!

We haven't had any major issues with it (knock on wood) and we're looking at the new 2011 "Vanquility" models for our next one.

My SIL thought her mini van was so "soccer mom" and she was tired of the image ;) so went with an SUV. Guess what....not enough storage, she misses the auto doors, less seating, and her DH even wants another van! LOL

Minivans might not be "cool" but they are practical and I love mine! :thumbup1: