Menu

For those of you attending the Cincy convention

The following change probably won't make it onto the convention program, so I'm putting it out there now FYI.

Current schedule:

Saturday 8:30 AM Homeschooling the Second Time

Saturday 1 PM Homeschooling the Real Child

Saturday 4 PM Writing Well: A Plan for K-12

New schedule:

Saturday 8:30 AM A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on Grades K-6

Saturday 4 PM A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades and High School Years

Descriptions of writing seminars:

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on Grades K-6

A plan for producing good writers at home. This workshop explains

how to guide your student through a simple progression (copying, dictation, narration,

summarizing, outlining) that will develop both writing and thinking skills in a

systematic, stepwise manner. Includes suggestions on how to use these

writing and thinking skills in every area of the curriculum, as well as strategies for remedial work. Recommended for those teaching all K-6 students, as well as for those teaching older students who are reluctant writers.

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades and High School Years

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) and high school students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. This seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum.

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,†this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) and high school students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. This seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum.

I know it's late to be adding anything to a presentation, but I'm going in circles trying to think through how to teach my kids to write lab reports. Any pointers you could give on this style of writing would be great, even if it is just suggestions of where to look for good guidelines and samples.

I think the year you bring the first copies of Writing With Skill to a conference will be like the Beattles coming to America.

If you are going to do lab reports, you might point out that lab notebooks where you design your experiment and keep track of your data, lab reports where you write up your experiment for other people to see, and scientific papers where you present your findings (possibly without a lot of the details from your lab notebook) are THREE DIFFERENT THINGS. Ug. It took me a few months to untangle that simple fact. There is a conventional format for all three. Writing Strands tells you how to do the last but not the first or the second. Another thing I found confusing is the difference between an activity designed to demonstrate a principal and a real experiment, when you don't know the outcome beforehand. Creepy Crawlers pointed that out and it was enlightening. As a non-scientist, I had to figure out that science experiments often build on each other. I found the hypothesis/purpose part of a lab report very confusing, until I talked to my husband, who does this all the time. Some experiments don't have a hypothesis. They just have a purpose, which might be something like, "To explore what happens when blank". Then an experiment might grow out of that. I'm sure all that seems super obvious to someone who is a scientist, but I had to extract the information and disentangle it. Probably if it weren't so obvious, I wouldn't have had such a hard time finding the information. Abstracts aren't a bad thing to mention, either. You might also mention that my husband, who does lots of writing for his engineering job, thinks that the 5 paragraph essay format is the best thing he was ever taught, writing-wise. He uses it daily. That format is excellent for technical writing that just needs to present facts clearly in a non-entertaining way. Anyway, I thought that if you were going to talk about scientific writing, you might want to talk about those things, things which took me forever to figure out.

: )

-Nan

PS - Could you include them in the next TWTM?

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,â€

So, are you including even *more* specific helps (like rewriting from outlines) than you had in your WTM 2009 conf. sessions?? Wow! If so, I hope that PHP can get the recordings and sell them! :D I could use more help on teaching rewritings, that's for sure. There's a spark missing, and I'm not sure why.

Any pointers you could give on this style of writing would be great, even if it is just suggestions of where to look for good guidelines and samples.

:iagree:

No idea about PA! I'll let you know when I know something.

SWB

:bigear: because I'm half thinking of going.....but couldn't find any workshop info. on the site yet. I could use another shot in the arm by being around some other classical educators again!!!! Esp. as we inch towards the latter halves of my childrens' educations.

If you are going to do lab reports, you might point out that lab notebooks where you design your experiment and keep track of your data, lab reports where you write up your experiment for other people to see, and scientific papers where you present your findings (possibly without a lot of the details from your lab notebook) are THREE DIFFERENT THINGS. Ug. It took me a few months to untangle that simple fact. There is a conventional format for all three. Writing Strands tells you how to do the last but not the first or the second. Another thing I found confusing is the difference between an activity designed to demonstrate a principal and a real experiment, when you don't know the outcome beforehand. Creepy Crawlers pointed that out and it was enlightening. As a non-scientist, I had to figure out that science experiments often build on each other. I found the hypothesis/purpose part of a lab report very confusing, until I talked to my husband, who does this all the time. Some experiments don't have a hypothesis. They just have a purpose, which might be something like, "To explore what happens when blank". Then an experiment might grow out of that. I'm sure all that seems super obvious to someone who is a scientist, but I had to extract the information and disentangle it. Probably if it weren't so obvious, I wouldn't have had such a hard time finding the information. Abstracts aren't a bad thing to mention, either. You might also mention that my husband, who does lots of writing for his engineering job, thinks that the 5 paragraph essay format is the best thing he was ever taught, writing-wise. He uses it daily. That format is excellent for technical writing that just needs to present facts clearly in a non-entertaining way. Anyway, I thought that if you were going to talk about scientific writing, you might want to talk about those things, things which took me forever to figure out.

: )

-Nan

PS - Could you include them in the next TWTM?

Nan, I always learn something new from you. Thanks for explaining that.

And :iagree: - could you (Susan) put something like this in the next WTM?

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,†this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) and high school students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. This seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum.

OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give this talk in PA!!!!! OH My .... jumping for joy!!!!

The following change probably won't make it onto the convention program, so I'm putting it out there now FYI.

Current schedule:

Saturday 8:30 AM Homeschooling the Second Time

Saturday 4 PM Writing Well: A Plan for K-12

New schedule:

Saturday 8:30 AM A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on Grades K-6

Saturday 4 PM A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades and High School Years

Thank you SO much for the update. So will the Bauer Family Homeschool talk appear at a different time?

Tiffany

Full workshop schedule plus descriptions:

FRIDAY 10-11 AM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

Educating Our Own Minds: How to Teach Ourselves as We Teach Our Kids

Educating our children involves educating ourselves. And that means gaining confidence in our own intellectual abilities—rather than relying solely on “experts.” Come discover a plan for self-education in the classical tradition, including scheduling for busy adults; setting up a reading plan that involves understanding, analyzing, and discussing literature; and mastering the skills needed for reading classic fiction and nonfiction.

FRIDAY 1-2 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 9-12–before they fill out those applications and head off for the freshman year. What expections should you have for high school? How can you teach those subjects that stump you? How should you personalize the high school curriculum for your student, while still making sure that the basics are covered? What skills will your student need to develop in order to thrive in college? As a college instructor, Susan Wise Bauer has taught scores of college freshmen and knows what they should have learned before the freshman year; as a home educating parent, she has graduated one high school student (now at UVA) and is in the thicket of high school with two more.

FRIDAY 4-5 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

The Joy of Classical Education: An Introduction to Classical Education at Home

An overview of the philosophy of classical education and the ways in which home schoolers can pursue classical learning at home. Covers the distinctives of classical education, the benefits to the student, the three
 stages of classical learning (grades 1-4, 5- 8, and 9-12), the subjects taught in each stage, and the overall goals of classical education. Also offers ways in which every home schooler can borrow from the classical tradition.

SATURDAY 8:30–9:30 AM

HILTON Pavilion Caprice

A plan for producing good writers at home. This workshop explains how to guide your student through a simple progression (copying, dictation, narration, summarizing, outlining) that will develop both writing and thinking skills in a systematic, stepwise manner. Includes suggestions on how to use these writing and thinking skills in every area of the curriculum, as well as strategies for remedial work. Recommended for those teaching all K-6 students, as well as for those teaching older students who are reluctant writers.

SATURDAY 1-2 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

Homeschooling the Real (Distractible, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

High academic achievement (and particular the book-centered kind of achievement recommended by classical educators) often seems designed for one kind of student: the mature, self-directed, disciplined child who loves to read. In this workshop, learn how to deal with the other 90% of students. Includes practical strategies for dealing with roadblocks in the way of academic achievement, as well as time-tested advice for teaching to your child’s strengths while still addressing weaknesses. Susan Wise Bauer, classical educator, college instructor, and author, was home schooled herself and has homeschooled her own four real children, now aged 10-19 (the oldest is now at university).

SATURDAY 4–5 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

This workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) and high school students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. This seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, research papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum.

SATURDAY 1-2 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

Homeschooling the Real (Distractible, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

High academic achievement (and particular the book-centered kind of achievement recommended by classical educators) often seems designed for one kind of student: the mature, self-directed, disciplined child who loves to read. In this workshop, learn how to deal with the other 90% of students. Includes practical strategies for dealing with roadblocks in the way of academic achievement, as well as time-tested advice for teaching to your child’s strengths while still addressing weaknesses. Susan Wise Bauer, classical educator, college instructor, and author, was home schooled herself and has homeschooled her own four real children, now aged 10-19 (the oldest is now at university).

SATURDAY 4–5 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

This workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) and high school students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. This seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, research papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum.

I so cannot wait. Especially for these two. :hurray:

FRIDAY 10-11 AM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

SATURDAY 8:30–9:30 AM

HILTON Pavilion Caprice

SATURDAY 1-2 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

I will be attending these.

Susan,

Just in case you have a moment to reply before you jet off to Cincy, could you let me know if the 4 pm Sat. session is similar to your PHP mp3 talk. I only ask because I really wanted to go to this session, but it means keeping our dogs in the kennel another day and a half.

Thanks,

Laura

FRIDAY 10-11 AM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

Educating our children involves educating ourselves. And that means gaining confidence in our own intellectual abilities—rather than relying solely on “experts.†Come discover a plan for self-education in the classical tradition, including scheduling for busy adults; setting up a reading plan that involves understanding, analyzing, and discussing literature; and mastering the skills needed for reading classic fiction and nonfiction.

FRIDAY 1-2 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 9-12–before they fill out those applications and head off for the freshman year. What expections should you have for high school? How can you teach those subjects that stump you? How should you personalize the high school curriculum for your student, while still making sure that the basics are covered? What skills will your student need to develop in order to thrive in college? As a college instructor, Susan Wise Bauer has taught scores of college freshmen and knows what they should have learned before the freshman year; as a home educating parent, she has graduated one high school student (now at UVA) and is in the thicket of high school with two more.

FRIDAY 4-5 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

The Joy of Classical Education: An Introduction to Classical Education at Home

An overview of the philosophy of classical education and the ways in which home schoolers can pursue classical learning at home. Covers the distinctives of classical education, the benefits to the student, the three
 stages of classical learning (grades 1-4, 5- 8, and 9-12), the subjects taught in each stage, and the overall goals of classical education. Also offers ways in which every home schooler can borrow from the classical tradition.

SATURDAY 1-2 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

SATURDAY 4–5 PM

DUKE Junior Ballroom

Please tell me there will be recordings of the above, especially the distractable etc. one at the high school level!!! Or if there are, which ones match from your PHP site. Thanks!