Menu

I want to use SoTW in high school! Input please!

I have two boys that will be 9th & 7th in the fall. They are not academic by any means. Pencil-phobic would be a better description. Only read when I have them during school.

We've been doing all subjects together except math. That is the one subject they are separated by grade level. I've been planning on using MFW for hs. I have a two-fold dilemma:

1) I still want to keep them together as much as possible.

2) We've never used SOTW and I really want to! Every time I pick up a book at expos or look thru samples online, I learn something and I have a Bachelor's degree, for pete's sake!:tongue_smilie:

Can anyone offer me any insight to help me plan before the upcoming expo?

Thanks!

I am going to suggest you look at the Sonlight Core 6 and 7.

Core 6 uses Ancients and Medieval

Core 7 uses Early Modern and Modern

You don't have to buy the core but it can give you some ideas how to use these books for you students.

Either core would be great for your 7th grader and you may need to find more challenging literature for the 9th grader. I will say the read aloud would be good for the 9th grader and the regular readers could work for the 7th grader

I have used sonlight and kept both my kids in the same core for several years I just had to supplement more advance literature for the older student or a more advance history source supplement the STOW. Its been a few years since using either one but I do remember both of my boys really loved our sonlight years and we are going back with sonlight this fall.

anyway just some ideas

You are probably going to hear a lot on how there is not enough vigor, etc., but use what you think will work. Find a good history spine, use SOTW as the narrative and use books at their reading levels. Really...it will be fine. I expect to use SOTW through our next history cycle...and I am sure my oldest dd will be sitting in. She can't pass up read aloud time...not even if it is "Saggy Baggy Elephant." So, I make her pick out all the literary devices she can hear...LOL

Faithe

I am taking a deep breath and revealing a secret here, so hopefully others will be kind to me :D

After years of battling with my oldest dd I have decided to have her read the four volumes for HS. This is my dd who is hard to teach as she resists learning anything I assign to her, but enjoys learning what she wants to learn. It is the most painless and enjoyable way to get world history done around here. Of course I expect decent narrations (written and verbal) from her. She is doing mapwork and a timeline. It is working. After reading threads here today about college age students not knowing when WWI and WWII were I am feeling better . . . at least my dd will have basic general knowledge of world history.

If it works . . . do it. Just my humble opinion.

We used Sonlight Core 6 & 7 the past two years, and loved it (with the SOTHW as spines). The first two books are the easiest, but the last two are more challenging, with lots of information. You could easily "beef" it up a bit by adding in some more challenging liteature. I think I would add in a high school level spine just for reference (I am thinking when you make transcipts for college you might want to have a high school text used....you don't have to reveal HOW MUCH it was used :)).

I think they will be fine for your boys, especially if you use the activity guides. You can require high school level work in the details: writing, map work, outlining, additional reading.

In the activity guide, you will find:

Discussion questions (and answers)

Map work

Additional reading recommendations in all subject areas & at varying levels of difficulty (our library had many of the selections)

Outlining pages that help you teach the students how to outline (well, at least they did for us)

Hands on activities, again at varying levels of difficulty

Coloring pages (you'll most likely want to skip those w/your boys' ages)

Two years ago we tried to do a literature based curriculum, but it didn't meet our expectations. In January, I took the SOTW books from the program, purchased the activity guides and viola! I had a history program that was both more rigorous and enjoyable than what we had been doing.

I think that while using them for older students isn't necessarily recommended, it's all in the execution. If you execute it well, you can have a great curriculum

Also, have you seen SWB's history books The History of the Ancient World and The History of the Medieval World? They might be a good match, depending upon the reading level of your students.

Wow, I was expecting to get blasted right off the boards! The posts so far have beeen very encouraging. I just really want my boys to enjoy learning, actually "hear" the facts, and retain them hopefully.

I have not had a chance to see SWB's higher level history books. I'll definitely check them out, too.

I really like the "theory" of MFW. Learning so much about the Bible, who were are to be in Christ, etc. But, I'm scared of the "texts". I know I should be getting my boys used to texts, since I do hope they will want to continue their education past HS, but I want our last years to be enjoyable as well.

Do you think it would be possible to "mix and match", so to speak, MFW with SoTW? Like I said, I love their "goal", but the reading scares me a bit. I'm following the other thread about details in MFW regarding reading, academics, etc.

I want to turn out fine, educated, Christian young men at the end of this journey. Someone please just send me what I need!:tongue_smilie: One drawback to SoTW for me, is the lack of biblical tie-in. MFW seems to have all that covered and more, but there again, the texts. Eck.

Thanks!

I think it would be fine, too. If they feel a little silly doing Vol. I, for example, just encourage them, as others have said, to do some extra reading at their level.

I think the SoTW is for older than 1st to 4th graders, personally. Or it's for very smart kids of that age. I really think middle school is fine for that material.

To be honest, I think there are some pretty high expectations of kids in TWTM. Okay, unrealistically high. If they moved each stage up four years, or maybe even 2, I think it would be just right. :)

I think you can mix and match if you want to but perhaps you want to get a feel for what your sons will enjoy. For example, my oldest dd said to me she did not feel a need to read a history book that goes over Bible, also. She is reading through her Bible on her own (her choice) ands feels that she does not need the extra discussion in history or even science. She is pretty grounded in her faith so I respect her request and that is why I decided SOTW would be fine rather than another program such as Mystery of History ( which I also liKe, but if dd wants some separation there AND the work is getting done, then SOTW is fine).

Editing to add thanks for asking this question. I really enjoy coming to this board. My dd is unsure what she wants to do re college so we are looking at cc right now. At times I get a little intimidated by discussions on this board which speaks of my insecurities. This topic helped me see I am doing allright with my dd based on who she is right now and our choices are fine for us.

Edited by jelbe5

If they moved each stage up four years, or maybe even 2, I think it would be just right. :)

Yep. I think they can get SO much more out of everything by doing cycles 2 & 3 in grades 7-9 and 10-12 instead of 5-8 and 9-12. There is no reason each level has to last the same amount of time: 4 years. I think there's a huge benefit to either doing the grammar cycle of history in 3-6 or even to do it 1-4 then spend a year or two focusing more on American Hist., or vice-versa. Both of my children are very intelligent, but neither had the maturity or focus for "logic" level work until closer to 7th grade, but both are strong in logic now at end of 7th and end of 9th.

If you used SL 6 & 7, I would just add (at least for the 9th grader) 3-5 solid novels each year that are at a higher level . . . and also perhaps add a couple biographies or narrow history books on topics of interest. . . That'd beef up the reading materials.

FWIW, I enjoy SOTW, having used it in both Grammar and Logic stages. . . but, even in SL 6 & 7, it is just a small piece of the pie. . . So, I think you could add SOTW to any world history program. . .

You do know that SWB has a series of higher level history books out, don't you? I haven't looked at them, but I'd be tempted for your ages. . .

One thing I strongly want is a Biblical worldview. Since SoTW doesn't even start at the beginning of history, biblically, I was looking for something to bring that in. Stumbled upon Quine's WVWW. Love what it accomplishes, but I'm afraid it would just be plain out, too tough for us.

I started another thread fishing for input on WVWW.

Help.me.please.

Why couldn't dear SWB have done SOTW with a Biblical worldview? My life would be sooo much easier!

MFW would have a strong Biblical worldview, correct? Perhaps I could trade off some of the Notgrass readings for SOTW? Or at least add SOTW for more interest and retaining?

Thank you, Sandra. The expo in our area is at the beginning of May. I'm going to make a bee-line to the MFW booth and probably spend the whole day there!

I guess I'm just wanting too many different things and I need to decide which is more important.

- strong Biblical worldview

- need work in writing (lots, basically from how to construct a good paragraph :( )

- would still like some hands-on

- engaging, interesting reading

Are there any hands-on type things in MFW or Notgrass at this level?

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you, Sandra. The expo in our area is at the beginning of May. I'm going to make a bee-line to the MFW booth and probably spend the whole day there!

I guess I'm just wanting too many different things and I need to decide which is more important.

- need work in writing (lots, basically from how to construct a good paragraph :( )

Are there any hands-on type things in MFW or Notgrass at this level?

Thanks for all your help.

Strong Biblical Worldview.... check! Definately a component

Writing.... Almost a check! It is step by step, complete instruction...it does cover the basics of paragraphs..... here's a small quote...

Now, do you provide good support sentences for each of the topic paragraphs? Is each paragraph focused? that is, does the paragraph discuss only one idea? If not, rewrite the paragraphs by ensuring that every sentence in the paragraph is centered on a single idea provided bgy the topic sentence.........

I'd share more, but don't want to violate rules. Anyway, they were first taken step by step and taught how to write a topic sentence etc....

They suggest using writing strands for a child who needs more writing help.

I think if you just did a quick "learn to write a proper paragraph" class over a week or so, they'd be fine.

hands on - no check mark here.... I'm assuming you mean building things etc.... we just do it on our own as he wants to.... dover models, ancient egypt kit.... mummy chicken... yes, I know those are elementary school type things, but if my son says hey, can I do this.... who am I to squash his desire to do something fun.

engaging interesting reading.... definately a check! I posted somewhere some of the books my son has read this year... very diverse and cool list. Out of the Silent planet was one of his favorites... he requested the next two in the series.

Have fun at the MFW booth! Let your boys take a look too!

Sandra

Sandra,

Is Out of the Silent Planet read in MFW AHL? Or are you talking about another curriculum? I wish MFW would post a list of the "other" literature used, besides the ones in the kit they offer. I was under the impression at first that those books they sold were the only ones used.

Wendi

Strong Biblical Worldview.... check! Definately a component

Writing.... Almost a check! It is step by step, complete instruction...it does cover the basics of paragraphs..... here's a small quote...

Now, do you provide good support sentences for each of the topic paragraphs? Is each paragraph focused? that is, does the paragraph discuss only one idea? If not, rewrite the paragraphs by ensuring that every sentence in the paragraph is centered on a single idea provided bgy the topic sentence.........

I'd share more, but don't want to violate rules. Anyway, they were first taken step by step and taught how to write a topic sentence etc....

They suggest using writing strands for a child who needs more writing help.

I think if you just did a quick "learn to write a proper paragraph" class over a week or so, they'd be fine.

hands on - no check mark here.... I'm assuming you mean building things etc.... we just do it on our own as he wants to.... dover models, ancient egypt kit.... mummy chicken... yes, I know those are elementary school type things, but if my son says hey, can I do this.... who am I to squash his desire to do something fun.

engaging interesting reading.... definately a check! I posted somewhere some of the books my son has read this year... very diverse and cool list. Out of the Silent planet was one of his favorites... he requested the next two in the series.

Have fun at the MFW booth! Let your boys take a look too!

Sandra

I'm glad to hear your input on the writing. We're really focusing on that right now, working thru the Writing Trails in American History, the Remedia outling books, and some other general paragraph writing materials I have on hand.

I love that you still have time for the hands on! Where do you get your ideas from for the projects?

I do see a glimmer of interest in reading lately as they gotten older. Don't get me wrong, they still do not read for fun, but they do seem to have more interest lately in what they have read. Maybe MFW would stretch and grow us a bit.

Thanks so much for helping me and jumping back and forth between threads! I started the other looking for input on WVWW, but here we are back at MFW. Maybe that's the path for me!

Sandra,

Is Out of the Silent Planet read in MFW AHL? Or are you talking about another curriculum? I wish MFW would post a list of the "other" literature used, besides the ones in the kit they offer. I was under the impression at first that those books they sold were the only ones used.

Wendi

It is one of the books suggested at the beginning of the AHL manual to be read while the child is studying the creation/fall of man time period... they actually suggest Perelandra and that if your child likes it... then they will like the other two...one of which is out of the silent planet...

It is one of the books suggested at the beginning of the AHL manual to be read while the child is studying the creation/fall of man time period... they actually suggest Perelandra and that if your child likes it... then they will like the other two...one of which is out of the silent planet...

Awesome! Perelandra is one of my favorite books!

Now I am even more excited about MFW.

Wendi

Until I started school with our youngest. I can't believe how different she is from our oldest in the way she learns. I find myself a kinder humbler home schooler. If it is working, don't mess with it, if it isn't get rid of it before you want to stick your head in the oven. :D

One thing I strongly want is a Biblical worldview. Since SoTW doesn't even start at the beginning of history, biblically, I was looking for something to bring that in.

Why couldn't dear SWB have done SOTW with a Biblical worldview? My life would be sooo much easier!

I would add in Truthquest readings with SOTW, easy peasy and absolutely wonderful. I love the TQ guides.

Let's just say, for my sanity and their's, that I keep them together and use SOTW. Going back to my "wants" in a previous post:

I'll take a look at Biblioplan and Truthquest. Thanks for those suggestions. But, is there something more laid out that would accomplish my wants that I could use alongside SOTW?

I really like the writing instruction and worldview from MFW.

Suggestions? I have a friend using Starting Points and she raves about it, but its the wrong period. I want to do Ancients in the fall. That's how I ended up at WVWW, but I think its too tough.

Have your children read any of the Story of the World books? I had my daughter read a book over the course of a week as a review during 7th and 8th grades. That is to say, we used an abundance of other materials and SOTW was read whenever she ended a time segment that corresponded to a book. While I understand what you mean about encountering things that were unknown to you, my daughter found the books much too juvenile for her taste.

Regards,

Kareni

Suggestions? I have a friend using Starting Points and she raves about it, but its the wrong period. I want to do Ancients in the fall. That's how I ended up at WVWW, but I think its too tough.

Funny! That is what my 8th grader will be doing in the fall! Then for 9th it's back to MFW for AHL!

Just for the record, the MFW AHL and up really are "self study" so it doesn't drive you nuts teaching the younger one!

Blessings

Sandra

I have a reluctant reader who is a rising 7th grader, and I have actually been considering using SOTW for high school too. I would love to use MFW, and I know that RTR, Exploration to 1850, and 1850 to Modern Times use SOTW volumes 2-4 respectively. (CTG uses Streams of Civilization, which I also like, but if possible, I'd like to use SOTW volume 1 instead.) I'm very seriously considering using those 4 programs for high school; I think that for this particular student, MFW's high school courses might be a bit too demanding.

If you're willing to do SOTW in high school, I'd also check out Mystery of History. My high schoolers are doing vol. 3 and *love* it. It's a middle school text, but so readable and interesting (esp. the church history in volumes 1 and 2) that it's very doable for high school, IMO. I beef it up a bit with novels, but we also do a timeline, the quizzes/tests and a few short papers and there you go! We have loved this series. There isn't a 4th volume, unfortunately, but there are many options for American History and I'm less worried about a Biblical worldview being woven into more modern history because we also do a worldview course and cover politics all the time in our everyday discussions. :)

Edited by 6packofun
add

Have you looked at Biblioplan? They use SOTW, and include suggested resources for all levels, including High School. :)

I have used Biblioplan for Ancients, in fact all 4 years through including the high school supplement. It uses both SOTW and Mystery of History.

It will fill in the gaps with excellent readers and other spines for your age range with plenty of hands on activities if you chose to do so. You could easily do the activities from SOTW or MOH, especially the map work and timeline work. My children especially enjoyed these. We note-booked with them and even did lapbooks with this age (I have girls and 1 son. The girls enjoyed this more than my son did but he still did it.) ;).

I personally wouldn't just use the SOTW. I don't think it will be enough.

As far as writing, have you checked out 'Write@Home'. It is excellent. I also have used 'WIN'. I rarely see it talked about anywhere. I haven't been able to find a better program. I start out with WIN then switch to 'Write@home'.

Worldview is also important in our home and we discuss our values all the way through our homeschooling from K-5 on as we disciple the children.

Blessings on your homeschooling choices,

Let's just say, for my sanity and their's, that I keep them together and use SOTW. Going back to my "wants" in a previous post:

I'll take a look at Biblioplan and Truthquest. Thanks for those suggestions. But, is there something more laid out that would accomplish my wants that I could use alongside SOTW?

I really like the writing instruction and worldview from MFW.

Coming in late here on the thread...

Part of the English credit in MFW is making sure student is reading for certain number of minutes a day. So they suggest a list of some historical fiction (both "upper" reading level and "average" reading level") to go along with the history you are studying. There's a short list in the AHL plans of library books for that. Perelandra was mentioned. There are some fictional stories from Egypt time, Greek, etc.

None of those titles are specifically required in order to do the program. So I understand why they wouldn't list those. They want the student to be part of the progress of selecting for free reading.

The students get some say in which books they are reading to fulfill "free reading time". Right now my dd isn't reading historical fiction for that. She's enjoying a popular series right now, which is not in any shape part of MFW.

MFW also suggests that if you don't want or can't find historical thematic books, then just read standard high school level classics. They suggest using the 150 books in the SAT prep book they sell, but you can use any classics list.

So, I don't see why they couldn't use SOTW as part of free reading time if they want to. They might go through it a lot quicker and still have time for related fiction.

Hope that helps a little.

-crystal

This is a good idea - a solid plan. (SOTW, with additional reading material - ala Biblioplan, Truthquest, Sonlight, All Through the Ages, etc...) I like the ideas suggested so far - the only thing I would add is to simply ask your son for narrations of whatever he reads. If he hasn't done them before, have him do a few orally. Then begin to transition him over to written narrations. He might find that this style of learning, is challenging, yet very much more interesting than answering questions about what someone else thinks is important.

I have a son who is going into trade school. He loves to learn, but instead of chemistry, after Biology, he really wanted to learn about zoology. But every program we looked at was tedious, boring and inapplicable to his life. (He will not be a science major.) So after much prayer and consultation with a dear friend, who is a homeschool author and our portfolio evaluator, we chose to use the Apologia zoology series. My son has completed all three books this year, plus extra reading from the library with a few written reports, nine dissections with lab reports and a few projects. It's been an EXCELLENT way to learn zoology.

This was a perfect solution for our situation. Rigor appropriate for him...but without killing his love of zoology.

**Updated to add info to the first paragraph and that we also used the Zoology Coloring Book - which is college level material. His transcript will read Intro to Zoology. He is not college bound, but will complete trade school and then possibly an associates in industrial management.

Edited by LittleHouseHomeschool

Yvonne, which idea are you meaning is a good, solid plan?:tongue_smilie: My head is spinning at this point!

I love what you did for you son with zoology. Something else I'm starting to wade into is transcripts. How will you show that or do you have to present one for trade school?

I've spent the morning on Ga's DOE site searching grad reqs and also checked out the technical school in our area. I can't figure out what they want to see, if anything, on a hs transcript.

This is an area I certainly need to learn more about!

Thanks!

Michele B, what is WIN?

Thanks!

It is a writing program that stands for 'Writing in Narrative'. It is written by Dr. Leslie Lessonson (a 30 year writing teacher,author, and educational consultant) and was published by the Elijah Company back in the '90s. The Elijah company was a really great company that advocated a historical literature type learning before Tapestry,MFW,BF and some of the other curriculum that you see now. I cut my teeth on their catalog ,so to speak. It read like a curriculum manual in itself. It is a shame that it isn't still around.

Back to WIN...

The program starts out teaching children writing through narration. I believe it is book A. I didn't use it. I used dictation from our own reading.

I starting our WIN program with book B.

It starts with learning to write by mastering the "seven sentence story".

You can start this as early as 2-3 grade. The book is 7.95. Looks like it is 7.79 on Amazon now.

Children learn about a setting paragraph, a problem paragraph which includes a "starting event sentence"/topic sentence, a solving the problem problem paragraph/sentence, and then a conclusion. It literally breaks it down and walks you through it all step by step. It is short book. Your child will be able to write simple stories by the end of it.

I have 4 of the books.

*Book B - The seven sentence story for Primary grades (I paid 5.95.)

*The Expository Writing Handbook-How to Write an Expository Composition Grades 6-12

WIN Level 2-Story writing program for upper elementary through High School. (I don't personally own this one but I thought I would include it in the description. It is listed on the Amazon list from below).

What I love about this program is that it so easy to teach.

It give you samples of what and how to teach. It outlines the steps of what to expect and then gives samples of what they mean. There is no question when they get done with the explanation. After the samples, they provide a place for your student to write his/her own outline. The books are consumable but if you didn't want to buy a book for each child, you could easily make copies. This would be especially helpful since the books are no longer in print.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=WIN+by+Leslie+Simonson

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1884098045/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I hope this explains the program. It is a getting late so I hope this reads okay...:D

I have used this with my older 3 children and then put them in Write@Home. Thankfully, they have turned out to be good writers! :001_smile:

:iagree:

This is a good idea - a solid plan. (SOTW, with additional reading material - ala Biblioplan, Truthquest, Sonlight, All Through the Ages, etc...) I like the ideas suggested so far - the only thing I would add is to simply ask your son for narrations of whatever he reads. If he hasn't done them before, have him do a few orally. Then begin to transition him over to written narrations. He might find that this style of learning, is challenging, yet very much more interesting than answering questions about what someone else thinks is important.

I have a son who is going into trade school. He loves to learn, but instead of chemistry, after Biology, he really wanted to learn about zoology. But every program we looked at was tedious, boring and inapplicable to his life. (He will not be a science major.) So after much prayer and consultation with a dear friend, who is a homeschool author and our portfolio evaluator, we chose to use the Apologia zoology series. My son has completed all three books this year, plus extra reading from the library with a few written reports, nine dissections with lab reports and a few projects. It's been an EXCELLENT way to learn zoology.

This was a perfect solution for our situation. Rigor appropriate for him...but without killing his love of zoology.

**Updated to add info to the first paragraph and that we also used the Zoology Coloring Book - which is college level material. His transcript will read Intro to Zoology. He is not college bound, but will complete trade school and then possibly an associates in industrial management.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure this out before the expo. I have SOTW and MOH both for ancients. If I want to go with these and beef them up with reading some of the classic lit, what could I use for a Christian worldview and lit analysis?

I looked at Invitation to the Classics, which looks like a good reference, but not for lit analysis. Is there some product that covers lit analysis with a Christian worldview? Something like Starting Points, but for the books for the Ancients period?

How does MFW handle studying the classics?

I was think of using IEW's Ancients for writing. Don't they have some products for the classics?

Thanks for all your help,

Kim

Edited by home4school