Menu

Make-ahead (healthy!) breakfasts!

We've recently banned most types of cereal in our house as we find them expensive and unhealthy. The kinds that I will buy the children generally don't like. Lately, it's been a lot of homemade frozen waffles and scrambled eggs around here! I'm needing some variety! Does anyone have any freezer-friendly breakfast recipes that they love?

I don't really do very many make ahead breakfast....but I think that our breakfasts are pretty healthy.

I make organic apple cinnamon mini muffins with organic chocolate chips in them. My kids love having a muffin with fruit for breakfast. And I can make enough to last for a week or two. Plus, they can be frozen if needed.

My kids really enjoy whole wheat toast and spreading on either natural peanut butter or Nutella.

Smoothies with fresh fruit (or even frozen) are great....and easy.

My 6 year old loves the whites from a hard boiled egg, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper.

Sometimes I do allow them to have organic graham cracker sticks dipped in either Nutella or natural peanut butter. They love this breakfast treat!

We don't do very many cereals either.....my kids just aren't big cereal fans.

After breakfast the kids usually get a cup of organic chocolate milk while they each choose a TV show to watch.

I make my own granola - enough to have for breakfast 8-10 times (all 7 of us.) It takes a while to make it, but lasts a nice long time. You can google granola recipes ad find one that includes all the things you like. Sometimes we make parfaits with yogurt and berries and sometimes we just eat w/ a splash of milk.

Muffins are also a great healthy make-ahead meal. Allrecipes.com is a great place to find healthy recipes. Our favorites are Morning Glory Muffins (shredded apples, carrots, raisins, whole wheat flour), Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins, and Apple Oat Bran Muffins.

Hard-boiled eggs are quick and fast w/ a piece of toast and fruit.

Not freezer-friendly but... my frequent recipes are some form of spanish omelette (left-over veggies and potatoes sauted, then egg poured over them and cooked until done) or wrap (chicken, prawn, ham etc., diced and mixed with diced raw tomato or cucumber and rolled in a whole grain wrap).

Oh, and protein/fruit smoothies served with whole-grain toast.

Laura

My favorite freezer bfasts are:

baked oatmeal

homemade pancakes

homemade waffles

home made muffins

homemade turkey sausage patties, or ground sausage

homemade poptarts or handpies

we don't eat cold cereals here either, unless it's homemade granola.

other bfast ideas:

french toast

ALL types of eggs

homemade baked doughnuts

yogurt & granola with a touch of honey (it's easy to make yogurt at home too)

yogurt smoothies

I just thought of another we have here.

Toast with asparagus and white sauce.

It might sound bizarre, but it is really yummy. The white sauce can be thick or thin and made the night before and stored in the fridge. It has a creamy flavor and takes away from the bitterness of the asparagus.

We use frozen asparagus when fresh isn't in season, so it can be a bit soggy (we steam our vegetables either in a covered bowl in the microwave or with a steamer on the stove) but if you drain them well enough and even dab them, they shouldn't get soggy.

Takes about 5 minutes to put together in the morning (if the white sauce is already made and the asparagus is steamed in the microwave.)

This is a cereal, obviously, but my standby make-ahead breakfast is steel-cut oats put in the rice cooker overnight (mine has a timer). I imagine a slow cooker would work as well.

ditto in crockpot,

we also sometimes put banana bread in the oven at night on delay start, so we all wake up to banana bread baking. mmmmmm

Homemade waffles freeze well. I put ground flax seed, walnuts, multigrain flour, coconut oil, and mini chocolate chips in mine. I also make a big batch of quinoa, sometimes with steel-cut oatmeal mixed in, and keep it in the fridge. I like to scoop some hot or cold into a bowl with milk, dried cherries, almonds, cinnamon, sliced apples and brown sugar. Yummmm!

I am not sure if this qualifies but its my favourite breakfast at the moment and doesn't take much time to make if you have a blender. Sometimes I soak the first 3 ingredients overnight, but often I don't bother.

CADA (coconut, almonds, dates, apples)

per person

1 handful of almonds

1 handful of dates (I use less than that but kids would probably like the full amount))

1 handful of coconut

1 apple cored and quartered

I also add goji berries but that is optional

Just put in the blender and blend till it resembles the consistency of granola- a few seconds.

You can add more fruit like bananas if you like, or even milk I suppose, once it is in the bowl.

Healthy, filling, and keeps me going till lunchtime.