Menu

US Navy issues voluntary evacuation for bases near Tokyo

I had a long post written that I then deleted. Please be gentle and considerate with any posts.

Update: At the moment, the voluntary evac is for the US Embassy. The Navy is taking steps to prepare for a potential evacuation and to assist families who are leaving on their own (helping them get records, powers of attorney, etc). My OP was based on a note that was released that mixed potential and certain information. There seems to be a lot of confusion, even at the base of what the situation is.

The Navy has announced a Voluntary Military Assisted Evacution from Yokosuka Japan. See Update Above (I don't have details, but probably Misawa and Atsugi are included as well as bases from other branches of the military. Okinawa is far far to the south and I don't think they are included in this evac. If you have friends or family stationed in Japan, the best info is coming through official pages on Facebook. Look for pages for the base or their command or the US Embassy in Japan.)

Many of our friends are having to make decisions about leaving, including if they should go, what to pack, administrative details. In a couple cases, they leave, knowing that their Japanese parents, siblings and other relatives cannot leave. The military members are not included in this stage of the evacuation, only family members. They are also leaving behind dear Japanese friends.

Please continue to pray for Japan. At least a couple of the board members are in the midst of this.

Please be gentle in commenting.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
Updated to correct misinformation

Praying here continues. Thank you so much for these updates. I've quit watching most mainstream media and read your posts instead. My heart is heavy.

If your tv provider has NHK, it is giving some good coverage. We get broadcasts with English translations. Much of the US media coverage has been to replay these NHK stories. They also have a website.

My favorite media moment last night was when Dr. Gupta from CNN was in one story showing off the very nice radiation dosimeter that he'd been issued. Then about a half hour later, he was with another reporter and stated that there was no way to know how much radiation was at their location. DH said, "Look at your dosimeter."

When I was in the Navy, there were different types of dosimeters. Many people had sealed canisters that they wore on their belt. They had to be read by someone else. Only "reliable" or "essential" personnel had meters that they could read themselves. Maybe the Navy isn't the only place with a policy like this.

Solid briefing from the CO of NAF Atsugi,

FB for NAF Atsugi.

Atsugi is in the Kanto Plain region in the greater Tokyo area. This is a US Naval Air Facility.

Please do not go onto the internet website for the bases. The extra traffic is tending to overload them. The FB pages are far more stable.

My niece is stationed over there, in the Navy and this morning SIL told me that all Navy bases are being evacuated. My niece was actually bummed because she had plans over there that she wanted to continue with, but it doesn't sounds as if she has a choice. From "family" news, all US military bases are being evacuated and they will go to another country for a few days, then back to the U.S. Anyone know if the news coverage matches up with this?

My niece is stationed over there, in the Navy and this morning SIL told me that all Navy bases are being evacuated. My niece was actually bummed because she had plans over there that she wanted to continue with, but it doesn't sounds as if she has a choice. From "family" news, all US military bases are being evacuated and they will go to another country for a few days, then back to the U.S. Anyone know if the news coverage matches up with this?

It is technically a voluntary evacuation. However, that is because a mandatory evacuation makes all non-emergency personnel evacuate, even essential personnel. The military wants the families to evacuate, it is temporary for now.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/military-begins-voluntary-evacuation-of-families-in-japan-1.137999

Not all the bases are being evacuated. MCAS Iwakuni is not, Sasebo is not, and neither are any or the bases on Okinawa. As for the other bases, it seems like it is only affecting bases near Tokyo and farther north. We live here in Japan near Iwakuni.

Not all the bases are being evacuated. MCAS Iwakuni is not, Sasebo is not, and neither are any or the bases on Okinawa. As for the other bases, it seems like it is only affecting bases near Tokyo and farther north. We live here in Japan near Iwakuni.

Right! Sorry, I did not clarify. It is only 4 bases not all. The story I linked has more info.

If your niece is active duty, then she may be staying or at least staying until the last group of evacuees. I have very tough friends and many are making a well considered choice to leave, hopefully for only a short time. Those who are still planning to stay are frequently those who don't have young children with them or who have deep ties to the local community. The people I know who are leaving are not those that I would consider Chicken Little types.

It's been a few years since I looked this up, but from memory: A voluntary evacuation allows family members to leave using govt transportation. It also halts transfers into the country. A mandatory evacuation does not allow familes to chose to stay. The evacuation of military personnel is dependent on their mission requirements.

The link a little higher up from NAF Atsugi is the highest quality info I've seen so far. It parallels the info from CFAY in Yokosuka.

Here are several other links. The Facebook pages seem to be pretty good about pushing info (although there have been some stumbles).

US 7th Fleet Facebook All of the ships that are forward deployed to Japan are part of 7th Fleet.

NAF Misawa Facebook

Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka Facebook

US Embassy Tokyo

Commander Fleet Activities Okinawa Facebook

It is technically a voluntary evacuation. However, that is because a mandatory evacuation makes all non-emergency personnel evacuate, even essential personnel. The military wants the families to evacuate, it is temporary for now.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/military-begins-voluntary-evacuation-of-families-in-japan-1.137999

Good article.

I am so devastated for everyone involved. It absolutely breaks my heart on every level. My thoughts are endless. I think of the men trying to prevent a catastrophic disaster and I am overwhelmed for them and their families. And I stand in awe. I see the people searching for loved ones and it tears me apart. I saw the clip of the injured dog with another that wouldn't leave it. (they were rescued!) I see the old women sleeping on cement floors. There aren't enough blankets, water, food. It's so heartbreaking to see such suffering.

Japan and all its people seriously need a break. I hope and pray those heroes working on those reactors will be able to fix the problem and cause no further suffering.

I think of this all the time.

My heart breaks for anyone involved on any level at alll.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: