Menu

Anyone taking iodine supps because of Japan's reactor meltdown?

I am a tad worried about pg dd in Hawaii, just because radiation there would possibly be at higher levels than CA (if they even reached CA).

I'm just telling them to pay attention to the news, stay indoors, wear masks (IF there is a problem of course), and I did suggest she get some of the potassium iodide to have on hand just in case. I also saw eating lots of miso could help so I told her to get some and make herself lots of soup!

I am a tad worried about pg dd in Hawaii, just because radiation there would possibly be at higher levels than CA (if they even reached CA).

I'm just telling them to pay attention to the news, stay indoors, wear masks (IF there is a problem of course), and I did suggest she get some of the potassium iodide to have on hand just in case. I also saw eating lots of miso could help so I told her to get some and make herself lots of soup!

I've been watching (loosely) the wind patterns from Japan, and to be honest, the west coast is more likely to be in line for Japan's air content than Hawaii. But it is weather....so who knows.

I hadn't thought about having iodine until reading this thread. I'll have to talk to the house's resident nuke engineer....

Does anyone use kelp in their sea salt? That's what was recommended to me by my midwife during Caleb's pregnancy and that's what we've used to salt our food ever since. Would that be helpful in an event such as this?

Kelp has very little iodine to make a significant difference. I do use Seaweed Gomasio, however.

Have you checked the website of your state's Health Dept. ?

This is the press release from our state concerning the Japan nuclear plants:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Publicat/2011_news/11-039.htm

Thanks! I think I won't worry about taking iodine, but I will get my emergency kit in order. Something I should have done when my vulnerability was exposed during the zombie apocalypse thread!

Margaret

Are you kidding??

Look, I'm too tired and irritated at this point to go hunt up the information for you.

But taking too much iodine can be harmful for your health. Talk to your doctor.

Kris, who is currently staying inside with all vents and heaters off

:grouphug:

How's the mail running for you? IOW, if someone wanted to send you some goods would it get through?

I'm confident that if you get to that point, there will be pallet loads headed your way (assuming there isn't already). And it would bump personal mail anyway.

I didn't realize you were there too. The same offer is extended your way, even if it would get bumped :p

See, someone with brain cells functioning!

Kris, who is going to bed

:lol:

I didn't realize you were there too. The same offer is extended your way, even if it would get bumped :p

:lol:

Actually, we moved from Japan in December. I'm glad that we're all here and not experiencing the shaking. But in many ways I'm feeling like I ought to be back there, with all of my friends, helping them through this.

Jamee and Mommytobees and I were in a homeschool group together, along with many other wonderful ladies who aren't WTM boardies. Wish I could make the shaking stop so they could all get some sleep.

Actually, we moved from Japan in December. I'm glad that we're all here and not experiencing the shaking. But in many ways I'm feeling like I ought to be back there, with all of my friends, helping them through this.

Jamee and Mommytobees and I were in a homeschool group together, along with many other wonderful ladies who aren't WTM boardies. Wish I could make the shaking stop so they could all get some sleep.

Ah, that makes sense. Reading your posts, I thought you were there, but it was just your bt experience shining through. It would be nice if we could just make it stop. All I can think of is to send cookies. How helpful am I :rolleyes:

I'm confident that if you get to that point, there will be pallet loads headed your way (assuming there isn't already). And it would bump personal mail anyway.

But they told us mail delivery has not been interupted!:tongue_smilie: (I'll believe that when I see it, I've been wondering what their excuse has been before this.)

But they told us mail delivery has not been interupted!:tongue_smilie: (I'll believe that when I see it, I've been wondering what their excuse has been before this.)

Did they mean no more interupted than usual?

I won't complain too much though. I remember how difficult and expensive it was for our friends in Germany who didn't have APO services.

Are you kidding??

Look, I'm too tired and irritated at this point to go hunt up the information for you.

But taking too much iodine can be harmful for your health. Talk to your doctor.

Kris, who is currently staying inside with all vents and heaters off

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Just adding a CDC link and some excerpts

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

It addresses these questions - the answers were too long to excerpt, but it's a good, clearly written article.

What is Potassium Iodide (KI)?

What does KI do?

What KI cannot do

Who should take KI?

When should I take KI?

How much KI should I take?

What are the possible risks and side effects of KI?

Glancing through, it seems that I would know how much exposure there was, and I don't have that info. I'm not currently planning to take it, though I live in California (and from what PP mentioned, I might not be able to purchase it even if I wanted to..).

Here is a Document from the Oregon Health authority:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=1bAedwhArC5n9b4rGW50s3UR4pVhGoR8RCneNU43gtSmxp1oBygJisOvmQSlZ&hl=en&authkey=CPOV76AP

From everything I have read or seen there is absolutely no radiation health risk to the west coast at this time. In fact Oregon monitors radiation in the air, and there is no current elevation.

If meteorologist Dr. Jeff Masters of Weather Underground isn't worried, I'm not worried either:

An excerpt from yesterday's blog post:

It is highly unlikely that any radiation capable of causing harm to people will be left in atmosphere after seven days and 2000+ miles of travel distance. Even the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, which had a far more serious release of radioactivity, was unable to spread significant contamination more than about 1000 miles.

source

See full post for weather modeling.

Have you checked the website of your state's Health Dept. ?

This is the press release from our state concerning the Japan nuclear plants:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Publicat/2011_news/11-039.htm

Thank you for that suggestion...I just checked ours and feel like I have a much better explanation of what happened and its effect on us...

Saturday's hydrogen explosion ripped through a concrete shell around the reactor, but didn't tear the primary steel container that housed the nuclear reactor. That means the plant's radioactive materials remain largely contained, said Brian Woods, an Oregon State nuclear engineering professor who studies reactor safety.

"Although it sounds really, really bad, the reality is that this primary containment is in contact," Woods said. "And as long as it's intact, no large amounts or radioactive material will make it out."

For that reason, Woods characterized Saturday's explosion as entirely different than the Chernobyl disaster. The reactor lacked the critical primary container, Woods said, and the reactor burned in the open-air.

Although Saturday's explosion likely released some radioactive material into the air, Woods called the amount relatively small. Areas closest to the reactor would be the most affected, he said.

"We're 3,000 miles away," Woods said. "I would really anticipate a very, very negligible amount of radioactive material making it as far as the U.S."

Nope.

My husband who knows about nuclear 'stuff' (obviously I do not. LOL) says it's not even an issue for us. He just spent the last couple days in a class for work with a bunch of nuclear experts as well and they are also not concerned at this point. He explained it all to me but it was way over my head.