Menu

Baby name dilemma

I have never been in this situation before. I am due to deliver a baby literally any day (I thought it was going to be 2 days ago the way contractions were. Then I thought it was going to be today because of similar contractions from 2 days ago. Dang, false labor sucks! (Can I get a "hear, hear", Sue? :cheers2: Btw, that's ROOTbeer for us ladies in a "delicate" situation, LOL).

In the past, we've always had the name selected and agreed upon before delivery. For some reason, this one is just harder to come up with.

There was a name I loved that I tried to convince dh and dc on but they all hated it. I gave up and moved on, but couldn't come up with anything else. All of a sudden, dh went back to that name I originally loved and fell head over heels in love with it - and so did ds. But by that time, I had moved on and was kind of "meh" about it. Ever since, dh and ds have been trying to convince me of that name (dd hasn't liked it since day 1, which kinda throws a curve ball into the mix). Because I haven't been able to come up with something "better", I've come to accept the name I originally loved (but now I question). But I don't want to just "accept" it. I want to love it the way I did and the way dh currently does.

We usually don't share names with others either because we don't want to know their reaction. But for some reason, this time I have told a few people. No one likes it. Usually this wouldn't bother me, but one of those people is my mother. And it's not that she doesn't like the name per se, it's more that she doesn't like the meaning. The meaning is very blah, and in her mind, it's very "secular". I told her the other day (as I found myself defending this name I myself am unsure of) that I disagreed that it was secular because *all* traits come from God. Anything that anybody has has been given by God. Just because it's not a Hebrew name doesn't mean that it's not spiritual. And more than that, while I *do* think name meanings are important, it's even more important how the child is raised. And there is no doubt that we will raise him to the absolute best of our ability in a Christian atmosphere. She knows that, and she agreed.

But after I hung up the phone with her, I realized that that is really the reason I am unsure of this name as well - because of the meaning. You see, our other 2 children are named specifically for their meaning - even though our oldest isn't a Hebrew name either, it's very significant in why we named her what we did. Our son has a Hebrew name, but it's meaning was also important. This one that we're thinking of? Well, I'm not sure what I would say except "I think the name is cool, it's unusual and it's an awesome character in an awesome book (though secular, in my mother's eyes)." The thing is, a lot of people have never heard of this book (which on this board is most definitely NOT the case and all of you ladies would be astounded to know how many people I know who've never heard of, much less read, this book. It really is shocking). Plus, while I love this character and what he stands for, I don't want to say that he was specifically named after this book. I mean, there are so many books out there with amazing characters, why choose this one? And is it even wise to name based on a character whom you hope your child will one day become? What I mean is, this character stood for great things. *If* my child grew to stand for the same things, that would be wonderful. But to bank on it? Well, what if he doesn't?

Anyway, dd still doesn't like it, though she'll "accept" it (because we've been calling him by that name to try to get used to it in different scenarios). But here's the thing. I don't have any other name as a backup! I can't think of another name, dh doesn't even want to think of another name (nor does ds) and baby name books and websites overwhelm and bore me. But what if he comes out and doesn't look anything like this name? And why can't I have strong convictions that this name is right, like I did with the other 2?

People say that you will just *know* when you see the baby. But isn't that only if you already have some ideas in your mind and just need to settle on one? Because we don't have that. I can't imagine that this incredible name would come to me after I see his face, you know? But maybe that does happen? Oh, and for what it's worth, his middle name is settled on, as it is my father's name. So his middle name most definitely has meaning. Now don't tell me to name him my father's name for the first name and this other one as the middle name. For one, the swap doesn't sound right and for two, my father's name is quite common and I'm definitely more in the unusual name camp.

So what am I asking? Hmm. Well, I guess, did anyone here go into labor and birth having *no clue* what you were going to name your child? Not having a list or anything? How long did it take you to come up with the name? Would you just name the baby the original name you loved but no longer do, even though your dh absolutely loves it? Would you take into consideration the meaning and your mothers thoughts?

If you've read this far, thank you! I know, I know. I just need to :chillpill:. :001_smile:

There's a point to the long story of naming my daughters, so hang on.

My eldest dd is named after my mil and my mother's middle names. NO one liked the names, it was generally thought to be a cheesy combination that no one in 60 years had named their daughters.

But it grew on us. Now we can't imagine her with another name.

When I got pregnant again, my dh announced that if the baby were a boy, his name would be [deleted because of embarrassment].

"What if I don't like that name?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter," dh said.

"Fine," I said. "Then if it's a girl, it's [Favorite Girl Name of All Time]."

"What if I don't like that name?" he asked.

"It doesn't matter," I said.

We got a girl. [Fortunately.]

But for months after that, I kept thinking I'd foisted this name on this child that we didn't agree on and it was probably not the right name... But that child loves her name, wouldn't change it for the world, has a unique nickname and no one is going to mistake her name for something else. She may have to spell it due to common variations, but we've rarely met any one else with her name who is her age.

So, take heart. In a few months, Baby's name will probably be perfect and everyone who had a single complaint about "Oh, I knew a person with that name and I hated them" or "What a stupid name" will be completely converted by your beautiful child. That will include you.

I pray your delivery will be safe, fast and uneventful - except for the arrival of your new baby.

Maybe post the name so we can all vote. :D We knew months in advance what the names would be for our first 5. No question. All my boys have a JM name (first name begins with J, middle with M). Just a quirky little thing I decided to do...my family hates me for it! It is rather humorous to hear my mother call one of my sons and get "stuck"! :lol: We do it now, too. "Get out of that tree, Jjjjj, Jjjjj, Jjjjj...oh forget it...#4!). Numbers work well!

When we had my dd2, we had her name picked out and were set. When the people came with the BC to fill out, dh and I looked at each other and said, "well, what's it gonna be?". We ended up sticking with her first name but reverting back to the original middle name we had chosen.

Okay, on to this baby. Another boy. :glare: We were seriously running out of really good JM names. Seriously. Didn't want to break the pattern but we were really hard-pressed to agree on a name! We finally decided on a first name that everyone loves (and it's Biblical, too!) but couldn't decide on another M name for the middle. So, we are breaking the pattern. The middle name will not start w/ M b/c there is a name which I absolutely LOVE and really wanted to use.

Okay, long story...I can totally relate to your annoying contractions...btdt...for over a month now! Past couple days? I thought we'd have an announcement to make. No such luck. Castor oil is looking rather tempting...again! Oh, and btw...if you deliver before me...:glare: NOT FAIR!

Now I'm curious about the name!

We picked a name that was very unusual, but I like the meaning and I love the way it sounds. We didn't tell ANYONE except my parents until she was born, because we knew most people would hate it! But I did tell my parents, and was surprised when they said that they loved it. That really convinced me to go for it.

At first I felt a little silly with her name. It's long, and old-fashioned, and though it was popular in the 19th century it's long off the social security lists. People look at me quizzically, and say, politely, "Oh. Is it a family name?" Which, roughly translated, means "where did you make THAT name up from and who blackmailed you into using it?" A few months after she was born, I was even thinking of getting it legally changed to Elizabeth.

But now it's really grown on me, and I'm proud that she has a strong name that is unique without being "made up." When people look sort of snooty about it, I get to feel snooty because if they had read some more Great Books they would recognize it!

I guess my advice is to ignore what everyone else thinks, and use the name that YOU love. I guess the only caveat is if it's really far out there in terms of spelling or pronunciation... that's kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Now I'm curious about the name!

We picked a name that was very unusual, but I like the meaning and I love the way it sounds. We didn't tell ANYONE except my parents until she was born, because we knew most people would hate it! But I did tell my parents, and was surprised when they said that they loved it. That really convinced me to go for it.

At first I felt a little silly with her name. It's long, and old-fashioned, and though it was popular in the 19th century it's long off the social security lists. People look at me quizzically, and say, politely, "Oh. Is it a family name?" Which, roughly translated, means "where did you make THAT name up from and who blackmailed you into using it?" A few months after she was born, I was even thinking of getting it legally changed to Elizabeth.

But now it's really grown on me, and I'm proud that she has a strong name that is unique without being "made up." When people look sort of snooty about it, I get to feel snooty because if they had read some more Great Books they would recognize it!

Now I'm so curious to hear your daughter's name. ??? I like old, slightly obscure names. ;) And yes, we've all had to hear the "oh is that a family name?" (since there's no other reason you'd use it, right?).

Now I'm so curious to hear your daughter's name. ??? I like old, slightly obscure names. ;) And yes, we've all had to hear the "oh is that a family name?" (since there's no other reason you'd use it, right?).

I'll tell if Janna tells :D

Just kidding (though I'm still curious!) My daughter's name is Lavinia.

Neither of our children have been named before they were born. Ds was a week old before we named him (he was supposed to be a girl, and we did have a name we were leaning toward, but not 100% settled on), and dd was just a few hours or a day. Sure, we had *talked* about names for nine months with each of them, but neither of us thought it was possible or fair to commit to a name before we'd met the person we'd be sticking with that name for life. ;)

The other thing -- you do NOT have to name your child before you leave the hospital. Don't let them tell you that you do. If you need another couple of days to snuggle in with baby and try a few different names out, go for it. I don't think it's reasonable to take months and months to name a child (yes, lol, I do know people who've done that!), but a few extra days? Why not?!?

BTW, If it's the name that Debra asked you about a few weeks ago, lol, and that has come up on the board in the past, I think it's *wonderful*. ;)

LOL, it *is* that name. Middle name David. Sounds good together, no? And since this baby is a smidgen yours, roflol, knowing *you* think it's *wonderful* is important. ;)

Ok everyone, Quick! scramble to find that post! What shall the prize be? A virtual lollipop?

Race is on...:)

I'll tell if Janna tells :D

Just kidding (though I'm still curious!) My daughter's name is Lavinia.

Haha, maybe she'll tell now that you have. :D

I think Lavinia is a beautiful name! I have to admit, I'm not sure I've ever heard it before. I love seeing older names on little children--it makes the names fresh and new again.

Haha, maybe she'll tell now that you have. :D

I'm waiting for someone else to try to go back and find out what it is!

I think Lavinia is a beautiful name! I have to admit, I'm not sure I've ever heard it before. I love seeing older names on little children--it makes the names fresh and new again.

She's a cutie, too, which helps :tongue_smilie: That's her in my icon. Lavinia was Aeneas's wife in the Aeneid, and the "mother of Rome." It was sort of popular in the Victorian period (I've met more than one old lady who has said "that was my grandmother/great aunt's name") and still lives on as the ill-fated daughter in "Titus Andronicus" and as the nasty little girl in "A Little Princess."

She's a cutie, too, which helps :tongue_smilie: That's her in my icon. Lavinia was Aeneas's wife in the Aeneid, and the "mother of Rome." It was sort of popular in the Victorian period (I've met more than one old lady who has said "that was my grandmother/great aunt's name") and still lives on as the ill-fated daughter in "Titus Andronicus" and as the nasty little girl in "A Little Princess."

Well, it sounds like a chaming little girl or a beautiful woman. And btw her picture is lovely. I enjoy searching for old, lesser known (or forgotten) names.

Oh, just name him the name :D. We love it, your dh & ds love it...what more do you need?

Your mom will get used to it. Just like my mom got used to Ezekiel. And like my Grandpa got used to my name (when my parents named me my Grandpa said "You're going to call her by her middle name, right?" because it was mostly a boy's name back then).

We waited until the birth to find out boy or girl and it took us until we were pulling off the freeway to the hospital that we finally decided on a boy name. We had a girl.......... God will bring it to you, I'm sure of that!

Well dh insisted that we name ds his name. i didn't care for it. It had a good meaning but there were several commercials on TV that had that name and that was all I could think of. Dh won out and now I don't think of those commercials and I like the name. Now if we ever have a girl, I want the name to be either Naomi or Eliana and dh says no hoping to convince him. He wants Isabelle. I like it, but Isabella has become very popular now and that is really close to Isabelle.

Would someone whisper it to me, please?

I've searched and I *think* I might know, but not certain.

FWIW -

I was dead set to name my first dd Perry. No matter what. This was decided pre-dh, and believe me, dh's objection was going to be only a minor inconvenience in my grand scheme of things.

Well, we broke the cardinal rule - don't tell the grandparents ahead of time. Mil HATED the name. Hated, hated, hated it. She reduced dh to tears on more than one occasion over how HORRIBLE the name was. (And mil is typically the sweetest, most gracious person I have ever met.) So to her, the name was BAD.

My mother came up with a compromise. She found "Perian" in a baby name book. I'm convinced God put it there just to solve the dilemma, because I have found this name nowhere before or since. So dd is Perian, Perry for short.

The funny thing? By the time she was a week old, no one - mil included - could imagine her being called anything else. (Another oddity - with her middle name, her initials are PMS. We kept it anyway, thinking at least she can grow up with a sense of humor!)

We had picked a name for 2nd dd that we *loved* - until we met her. As soon as we saw her, we realized the name was totally inappropriate. She was finally named a couple of days later.

Name him what you want; don't listen to anyone else, their opinions don't really factor into this decision. (Except I still want to know *for sure* what you're considering. :D

A: Go read the book again. (If that's too much, watch the movie.) If you don't love it again after that, forget about it.

B: Literary names are white-hot-popular in over-educated and super-affluent circles. It'll trickle down to us normal people soon, and when it does, you'll look ahead of your time.

C: Mom will love it, eventually. She really will.

We had a similar scenario.. I *loved* the name Nathan for our son. DH hated it. I begged, pleaded and cried, but he still said no. We looked at other names for a while, and then DH relented... said we could name him Nathan.

But I couldn't bring myself to name my son a name that DH *hated.* I could picture him someday saying to him... "Yeah, I didn't really like that name at first." and I just couldn't do it.

So we named him something else. And I love it... *BUT* for the first week, every time I looked at him, I wanted to call him Michael. He *was* Michael in my eyes for that first week or so. We hadn't seriously considered that name, but it was who he was.

We didn't change the name. Now, I can't imagine calling him anything but the name he has, it fits him perfectly.

Whatever you name your child, the *sound* of the name on your lips will fade in your mind, and his character, and who he is will be brought to mind when you hear his name... no matter what you name him. HE will determine what you feel when you hear that name. Even if you don't really like the name at the moment, you'll love it as a part of your child.

A: Go read the book again. (If that's too much, watch the movie.) If you don't love it again after that, forget about it.

We did both, LOL. I read it again about 2 months ago mainly because I wanted to re-read it through ds's eyes, knowing that he will want to read it. He will no doubt get lots of people commenting on it and his curiosity will be strong I'm sure. I passed it over for dh to re-read. It only cemented the name for him, LOL. Then we watched the movie, again, knowing he'll want to see it. The book really is wonderful. A favorite. And the movie is good too. GP is just *wonderful* in it.

B: Literary names are white-hot-popular in over-educated and super-affluent circles. It'll trickle down to us normal people soon, and when it does, you'll look ahead of your time.

I really could care less about looking educated or affluent. I certainly have no interest in appearing like a snob, though I know there is nothing I can do about it if someone wants to judge me in that manner.

C: Mom will love it, eventually. She really

will.

Like I said, she likes the name, just not the meaning. And I made them watch the movie because I knew she wouldn't have time to read the book before he comes - most of her reading is done during the summer when they camp every weekend. Since the movie is a fairly accurate portrayal of the movie, I told them to watch it. I don't think they cared for the court scene and what it insinuated. And I think she was thinking about that knowing a little boy would be reading that. But it's not described and I honestly don't believe for the life of me that that is what the book is about.

Dd's name is highly unusual and 10 years ago when we named her, we got some raised eyebrows. People either loved it or they hated it. But now, I don't run across anyone who is unsure about it - everyone loves it when they hear it. I'm sure it will be that way with this one. But again, what other people think doesn't concern me (except my mother). It's the meaning, or lack thereof that's the issue at this point in time.

Also, I'm assuming that you know the name? I guess the assumption is based on your knowing there's a movie with the book. But now that I think of it, just about every book has a movie so it's a safe suggestion to make, LOL. If you don't know, I apologize for this post thinking you did.

We didn't name our daughter for a week, either. Actually, we were so sure she was going to be a boy we didn't have any girl names thought up at all (not to mention she came 3 weeks early and we were just in shock). We came up with three names- Guinevere, Gwendolyn, and Genevieve. She is called Genevieve Gwendolyn and we all love it. But, the name Genevieve came from an old girlfriend of dh's (pre me!). So I had to get over that, but it didn't take long, because it became the new baby's name and the old identification faded away quickly.

I had to fight dh not to have our son named after him because dh's father is also named their first name. No way was I going there. So, its his second name. (not that we call dh by his given name anyway).

The name you end up with will be perfect a few days after settling on it. And if for some reason it doesn't stick too well, he will end up with a nickname.

Not even an iota. With #5, we borrowed a baby name book from the hospital and while we walked the halls, we looked through it and picked her name.

With #6 I had to put off the birth certificate lady 2 times because dh had gone home and we hadn't discussed it.

It all worked out and we love their names.

DH says that wat labor is for-- to name the baby that is. ;)

I was going to act all offended (or flattered? I'm not sure which), but then I remembered that this was coming from someone who named her child Theophilus!, lol... ;)

(I'm still sorry I didn't get to name a kid Caedmon. Or Hrotsvitha/Roswitha...)

Ooh, Janna, all kidding aside... We have a neighbor boy named "Harper". He's 12, smart, kind, an absolutely delightful kid. Dd plans to marry him. But anyway, could "Harper" be a compromise? (And tell your MIL it's for King David or something...)

I really could care less about looking educated or affluent. I certainly have no interest in appearing like a snob, though I know there is nothing I can do about it if someone wants to judge me in that manner.

No, no, I just meant that in ten years, it probably won't be an unusual name anymore. And it *isn't* (currently) unusual certain circles. (Would you believe that one of the major scholars in my field is named Diogenes? Seriously. I have no idea what his wife calls him.)

But, as abbeyej pointed out, I have shown myself to have very, very odd taste in names!!

No, no, I just meant that in ten years, it probably won't be an unusual name anymore. And it *isn't* (currently) unusual certain circles.

Yes, I've known a couple of babies with the name... ;o) (And OhM, it isn't Diogenes!) (And really, I thought we were giving our kids unusual names when they were born, but I've met several Tristan and Flannery kids since then... Then there are other "over-educated" people I know who've named their kids Taliesin and Willa and Augustine and Evangeline and Olorin [Gandalf's Elvish name, so I'm told] and Phineas and Scarlett and Romeo and Dante and Dahlia and...)

And here's an announcement of the recent birth of another baby -- child of scifi writer, Cory Doctorow... It'll prove Sarah's point...

Guest Shanna
is the right answer "Atticus"?

I was thinking this the whole time. When I practiced midwifery one of my clients named her son Atticus. I loved it then and love it now!!!!

I LOVE Harper - but I can't do it. I grew up next door to our family Dr. His daughter is my age and we were close friends. They are still next door to my parents and my friend, their daughter, named her dd Harper. Hrumph!

Yes, I've known a couple of babies with the name... ;o) (And OhM, it isn't Diogenes!)

Hey - what about Diogenes!? Janna - I think you should give it serious consideration! :D

(Of course, then you'd have to put him in ps just to hear the teachers pronounce it "di-o-jeans" on the first day of school!)

I like Atticus but To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite books.

As far as the "meaning" thing and Mom not liking the name...here's my experience. For ds1 we had decided not to tell anyone the names we picked but I made the mistake of hinting to my Mom that we were strongly considering Calvin as the boy's name. She hated it and her main reason was because when she asked me the meaning I had to tell her it means "bald". To me we loved the name just because we thought it was cool, it was slightly unusual/less popular and we liked several references- John Calvin (we are Presbyterian) and Calvin from A Wrinkle in Time. We didn't mind the Calvin and Hobbes reference. (But I never anticipated the number of people who would ask if we named him after Calvin Klein. Seriously. When pregnant with #2 I liked to joke that if it was a boy I was going to name him Levi. Or I would just tell people it was Hobbes regardless of gender.)

But anyhoo...my Mom hated the name. She told me several times. I finally just told her that it was very likely that if it was a boy it would be Calvin so she should learn to live with it. He was born...Calvin it was and she's been fine. I think anyone who dislikes the name (and beyond you and dh, and possibly other dc it doesn't matter in my opinoin) will get over it when the baby is here.

I told my pastor that we were naming our 4th son Noah Robert and he said he wouldn't baptize him if we did! He was only partially joking. Oh well. Like I tell my dh, it's the mother that has to sign the papers for the birth certificate not the father so I had to approve of the name.

We had our names all picked out ahead of time. I would have been worried if we hadn't. For me it seems that they grow into their names rather than you knowing what they should be called when you see them. I can't imagine any of my guys being named anything else.

I would have loved to name a son Rhyder McClure, though. Dh wouldn't even consider it, though.

Best wishes!

Cindy

We decided to wait to name dd #2 after we saw her because we couldn't decide whether to name her our "safe name" or the unusual one nobody liked. It did NOT work out well. DH and MIL and everyone just kept asking and asking once she was born and I was still wanting to name her the risky name and DH was not. I felt pressure and it was an unnecessary stress in the hospital. Also, we went with the safety name and although I don't think of it often, I do regret it!

No, no, I just meant that in ten years, it probably won't be an unusual name anymore. And it *isn't* (currently) unusual certain circles. (Would you believe that one of the major scholars in my field is named Diogenes? Seriously. I have no idea what his wife calls him.)

But, as abbeyej pointed out, I have shown myself to have very, very odd taste in names!!

Theophilus is a family name in our family!

We decided to wait to name dd #2 after we saw her because we couldn't decide whether to name her our "safe name" or the unusual one nobody liked. It did NOT work out well. DH and MIL and everyone just kept asking and asking once she was born and I was still wanting to name her the risky name and DH was not. I felt pressure and it was an unnecessary stress in the hospital. Also, we went with the safety name and although I don't think of it often, I do regret it!

Same here. I think periodically of getting her name legally changed/altered. Add the original name as a second middle name.

Is it Atticus? I think it's nice. It is pretty trendy on the East Coast, I think... I know two and know of a few more. I say go for it!

Trendy? Trendy? Ugh, that really turns me off. I don't want trendy! I'm in the midwest and like I said in my OP, it is staggering how many people have never even heard of "To Kill a Mockingbird". It's really sad is what it is.

Trendy? Popular in 10 years? Oh dear...

(Of course, then you'd have to put him in ps just to hear the teachers pronounce it "di-o-jeans" on the first day of school!)

LOL!

And OhM, in case you haven't figured it out, it's referred to below.

Trendy? Trendy? Ugh, that really turns me off. I don't want trendy! I'm in the midwest and like I said in my OP, it is staggering how many people have never even heard of "To Kill a Mockingbird". It's really sad is what it is.

Trendy? Popular in 10 years? Oh dear...

Oh no, I didn't mean like that! Trendy is the wrong word for it. I mean, it's not like Addison or Aidan... (both names I like, for the record, but it seems that EVERYONE started liking them at the exact same moment!) But I do know 2 of them who were born in the past year. I doubt it will ever be the next Michael or Jack. I like it and I think you should go for it!

So, take heart. In a few months, Baby's name will probably be perfect and everyone who had a single complaint about "Oh, I knew a person with that name and I hated them" or "What a stupid name" will be completely converted by your beautiful child. That will include you.

I don't want to discourage you, but don't listen to Kim! And whatever you do, if don't sign the birth certificate under the influence of painkillers. Take your time to figure it out. Most states allow ninety days.

(Says the mother of a child with these initials: P.J.T.L.M.A.D.)

I don't want to discourage you, but don't listen to Kim! And whatever you do, if don't sign the birth certificate under the influence of painkillers. Take your time to figure it out. Most states allow ninety days.

(Says the mother of a child with these initials: P.J.T.L.M.A.D.)

Now that is very good advice! It doesn't even just apply to naming a child!