Menu

Socialization thread reminds me of an encounter I had

Six months ago we moved into a laundromat and we also run it. My dd 5 has never been in daycare, preschool, or public school. So this is her first experience interacting with different people on a daily basis. She loves to meet and talk to new people. We have to watch her carefully because she is so friendly. Customers often compliment us about how engaging and well mannered she is. Many of our customers are regulars so they see a lot of her. When they ask her about school she tells them "my mommy teaches me". This one lady, a retired schoolteacher, told me that I needed to put her in school BECAUSE she is so social and friendly.:confused: She told me that if I didn't I could seriously harm her in the future. She said that dd "needs" the daily interaction with other children that school will provide. I politely thanked her and went inside my apt. to share her words of wisdom with my dh.:cursing: Looking back I find it funny and if anything it helped reinforce my commitment to homeschool.

Lol...I hear ya. When ds was about three someone took me fairly seriously to task for not having him in a preschool program. "Any child who is smart enough to read at age three clearly needs to be at a school, not home with his mother."

Because obviously he wasn't going to learn anything from ME. :glare:

(Although to be honest, he figured that out more or less on his own. He did have an Aspie fascination with letters not long before he turned three and spent hours in front of the fridge playing with the fridge magnets and asking me what sound various letters and combinations of letters made. And then he got tired of having to drag me in to read the screen on his computer games, so he decided one day to read it himself. He was an odd little guy. Now he's an odd big guy. But life with him has never been boring...lol...)

I hope it's okay to jump in here. Your experience reminded me of one we had last year. I took the kids with me to interview a new doctor and as soon as he heard that we homeschooled he told them that they'd have a lot more friends if they went to regular school.

My poor boys spluttered and honestly so did I. Clearly it wasn't a good fit and we didn't choose him as their dr. The ironic thing was that I'd just picked them up from a friend's house where they'd gone for an impromptu get-together with about 10 other kids. No way would they have been able to do that I'd they had been in "real school."

It still baffles me (I don't know why :confused:) that people actually say this stuff!

I was at a soccer practice for my dd a few years ago and while waiting, I sat on the sidelines perusing the Rainbow catalog. The mother sitting next to me asked me if I was taking college courses to which I replied, "No, I homeschool and am planning next year's curriculum." The mother proceeded to go into detail about a family on her block that homeschools. She said, "I see her walking around the neighborhood with her three kids everyday!" *Gasp*, I thought. She thought it was crazy! I explained how easy it can be to accomplish quite a lot when you're only working one-on-one (not to mention that we all need a break and some fresh air...can we say "recess"?). Her reply was, "Welllll...one-on-three." She really wanted to make her point as negative as she could. I calmly passed the bean dip. ;)

And if she'd been shy and didn't talk, the woman would have said you need to put her in school to bring her out of her shell. You can't win, LOL.

It amazes me how many people think there are no shy kids in school. I guess once they enter the doors, they magically become chatty and outgoing. :glare:

I had some nutcase go off at me the other day. Uh, was I even talking to you? :rollseyes: My favourite is the "I'm very open-minded about this but <insert string of rhetorical questions.>" What cracked me up most is when I asked her if she was asking rhetorical questions she said "Yes I am!" I'd have liked to ask if she knew what they were, but that seemed rude. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Rosie

I've had people tell me that they can't believe how friendly my kids are, b/c "most homeschooled children are SO shy." :001_huh:

Yes, I've had plenty of that. I've had people reckon homeschooled kids are shy, weird, geeky, unaware of others personal space, too quiet, too loud, bookworms, unable to read, unable to deal with the real world (whatever that means, exactly..) - you name it, I've heard it. And then they fall over themselves saying how nice my kids are, how polite and courteous, how friendly - in short, everything they think ps will mould kids into. I just shrug and continue with something that was never broken nor needed their input!

It amazes me how many people think there are no shy kids in school. I guess once they enter the doors, they magically become chatty and outgoing. :glare:

I went to public and private schools for 13 years and came away from it scared of my peers. I was really, really shy and awkward. I dreaded going to school everyday, because of the teasing. So I think it is safe to say that SCHOOL is not the panacea that we are told it is. I can easily imagine what would happen to my free spirited daughter in public school.

It still baffles me (I don't know why :confused:) that people actually say this stuff!

I was at a soccer practice for my dd a few years ago and while waiting, I sat on the sidelines perusing the Rainbow catalog. The mother sitting next to me asked me if I was taking college courses to which I replied, "No, I homeschool and am planning next year's curriculum." The mother proceeded to go into detail about a family on her block that homeschools. She said, "I see her walking around the neighborhood with her three kids everyday!" *Gasp*, I thought. She thought it was crazy! I explained how easy it can be to accomplish quite a lot when you're only working one-on-one (not to mention that we all need a break and some fresh air...can we say "recess"?). Her reply was, "Welllll...one-on-three." She really wanted to make her point as negative as she could. I calmly passed the bean dip. ;)

Oh yeah, like one-on-thirty is better, right?

Ds was in private school for prek and K. Homeschooling wasn't much on the radar and we thought he'd stay in private school. Guess what he got in trouble for in K? Talking! :lol: Yes, he often got in trouble for attempting to socialize at the wrong time. :lol:

Similar experience-

Took the kids with me to the salon to get my eyebrows done and while I was paying the girls were chatting with several older ladies behind me. While this was happening the lady checking me out asked me if I was worried that they werent socialized enough. I just turned and looked at them and said uhhh no....