Menu

An Inconvenient Truth

Actually this had such an impact on our ds age 14 that he is doing a power point presentation on the program. Ds has also gooten much more concerned about the environment. He also read the book after watching the program and would often come to me and say Mom you have to see this. Dh and I also thought it was an excellent program.

It was really interesting and a good starting point for research on the topic. Another documentary you might considering pairing with it is "Who Killed the Electric Car?" Wow, that one was eye-opening.

I liked this one much better. IT has some issues with using less than honest visuals, etc to press it's points. The Electric Car on the other hand is a very, what you see is what you get, and it's really madding!

It was really interesting and a good starting point for research on the topic. Another documentary you might considering pairing with it is "Who Killed the Electric Car?" Wow, that one was eye-opening.

I've never quite been a conspiracy theorist before, and sorta look askance on those who are, shall we say, Professional Conspiracy Theorists. But that film... I'm still shaking my head over that one. Bizarre. Enlightening. And scary as he11.

Dh works for an energy consultancy. Their head of practice liked it so much that the company gave each employee a copy. It is an advocacy piece, but it's very interesting and worth watching. If it peaks your interest, there's a Teaching Company course that examines evidence for and against global warming in great detail:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1219&pc=Science%20and%20Mathematics

I got this from my library and thought it was well worth the time invested in listening to it.

You might want to look at this list.

There was a court case in the UK involving this movie.

They state: "The Court found that the film was misleading in nine respects and that the Guidance Notes drafted by the Education Secretary’s advisors served only to exacerbate the political propaganda in the film."

"In order for the film to be shown, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Nine inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children."

They provide links to the court case too.

Should provide for plenty of discussion and research in multiple subjects. :)

I'm all for doing what we can to not harm our planet. That said, I don't think this movie can be taken at face value. There are too many things that are just not portrayed with the required amount of accuracy. I do think it could be the starting point for some very interesting research to find out just what was presented accurately, and what leaned more towards the side of propaganda.

and I'm not really a big fan of Al Gore-- he does so much damage by not telling people to "do as I say, not as I do". But, boy this movie was good. It lead me to further research, and I believe that was its intention. Nearly everyone I've ever spoken with about the movie that is critical of it has not seen it. That should say something.

Margaret

I have some friends who are in that movie a couple of times... they had an EV1, and now have an electric SUV. They bought it for around $40,000, but could sell it used for $80,000! Amazing, huh?

We actually tried to buy an EV1. We signed up at our local Saturn dealer (they were the retail outlet) and were told that demand was so high, there was no chance we'd ever get one. There were over 5000 names on the waiting list at their dealership alone! Within two years GM pulled the plug and scrapped the cars... because they claimed there was no demand. Huh? What about the huge waiting list at our dealer? I bet they are kicking themselves now!

I have some friends who are in that movie a couple of times... they had an EV1, and now have an electric SUV. They bought it for around $40,000, but could sell it used for $80,000! Amazing, huh?

We actually tried to buy an EV1. We signed up at our local Saturn dealer (they were the retail outlet) and were told that demand was so high, there was no chance we'd ever get one. There were over 5000 names on the waiting list at their dealership alone! Within two years GM pulled the plug and scrapped the cars... because they claimed there was no demand. Huh? What about the huge waiting list at our dealer? I bet they are kicking themselves now!

Have you seen What Happened to the Electric Car? They are not kicking themselves -- something "happened." I'm not sure what. But... something.

It's the craziest thing I've ever heard.

I think we have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Here is a website that discusses the UK court case, including why it was brought (on political grounds, not scientific grounds).

Thousands of facts were presented in the documentary, and the judge found 9 "errors" of fact. He put the word "errors" in inverted commas because they were items presented as facts that might be likely but could not be conclusively proven. Following is an excerpt from his ruling:

The Film advances four main scientific hypotheses, each of which is very well supported by research published in respected, peer-reviewed journals and accords with the latest conclusions of the IPCC:

(1) global average temperatures have been rising significantly over the past half century and are likely to continue to rise (â€climate changeâ€);

(2) climate change is mainly attributable to man-made emissions of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide (â€greenhouse gasesâ€);

(3) climate change will, if unchecked, have significant adverse effects on the world and its populations; and

(4) there are measures which individuals and governments can take which will help to reduce climate change or mitigate its effects.†- England and Wales High Court (Administrative Court) Decisions

Ah... but that was before gas was $4 a gallon. I heard the latest numbers for all the US automakers yesterday... huge drops. And so many people around here drive hybrids, or want to. GM just wasn't willing to be ahead of the curve, and WAS willing to take the payoff from big oil.