Menu

kombucha question

i am fairly new to kombucha (we had been drinking water kefir only). i love kombucha so much, but it is growing like crazy. i have more scobies than i can give away. how do i store them? i hate to just toss them, but my countertop looks like a mad scientist...i've got kefir...kombucha...grains soaking. it's too much. what do you all do with extra scobies? how do you store them? TIA

:iagree:but I'm afraid to google. Either it'll be gross or I'll start doing it too & I don't need another thing.

lol. it's just a fermented drink. i like kombucha in place of soda, plus i believe there are health benefits to it (wording that carefully as i know there is debate on that topic). it's easy to make & much much cheaper than purchasing it.

snickerdoodle, just pm me. im happy to share.

i did find a home for 2 of the scoby:). i hate to throw them away...but if i must, so be it. thanks everyone.

I killed ours, I was just starting to get the hang of it too :( I was using fruit tea.

Rosie

Fruit tea is okay to flavor it. I use 5 bags of green tea (or some people use black tea) & then I add 2 flavored tea bags (I like blueberry). It works great!

If you get any more in the future, always save one in sugar water, but do not refrigerate (it can kill it). Change the water 1x week & clean the scoby with white vinegar 1x month. This way you'll always have a back-up.:)

Susan

You know you can break it down into smaller ones, right?

Yes, you can break it down. I would separate my "baby" after every fermentation and store the "Mother" in the fridge with a little kombucha. After a while I had too many and I started tossing them out.

I never did this, but I am told you can put them in a blender and chop them up with water, then water your plants of garden with it.

If you have a bunch to spare, try kombucha is juice (you can do this with water kefir grains also). It is really great in apple cider, white grape juice, and raspberry juice. You do just put the scoby in the juice with a little of the kombucha from the previous batch and let it ferment. Sometimes it will kill your scoby after a few tries, but if you "recondition" it with vinegar and then just use it for plain kombucha you should be okay.

Also, all my "fermenting" friends and I have what we call "hotels" - basically just a big jar full of pretty sugary tea where we let our scobies rest and multiply.

Reminds me - my hotel is full so I need to give some away.

I think I would love some! I'm anxiously awaiting my kefir grains :D

I just ordered milk kefir grains yesterday. I can't wait until they get here.

ETA - for the milk kefir grains they say that your can use the extra in a smoothie. I wonder if you can do that with with kombucha grains?

Edited by Ferdie