Menu

Natural supplements to help these 42 yr old joints? (knees, etc.)

Just started regular workouts again and WOW-who gave me these old lady knees and elbows and wrists, etc? :glare:

I was sporadic or not working out for the last ten yrs-sidelined by kids and a herniated disc. Before that I was really active and I'm still in great health and and can run four miles no problem, not overweight, etc. I am SO happy to be in a place where I'm enjoying working out and have time to do it, and I'm just achy in some joints after workouts. Joints just aren't what they used to be-lol!

I'd like to reverse this-reduce pain (it's minor but enough to be annoying), reduce inflammation throughout my body, etc. If I feel like this at 42 I am so worried about how I will feel down the line, and being healthy as I get older is a priority to me. Can't exercise if my joints go bad!

We eat a GREAT diet-almost all organic and non-processed. I just started taking Curcumin capsules and they are wonderful. Taking glucosamine/condroitin too-also decent. What else natural is there to restore and support my joints?

I am just so shocked that they are this weary at this young age! (I was really active when younger-ran since 12 yrs old for about ten years, ballet for 7 yrs, skiied once a wk all winter for about 6 yrs, taught aerobics during the "high impact" days, etc. Did I wear out my knees? :confused:)

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? My rheumatologist had mine tested and I was severely deficient. I never would have guessed. I eat well, don't avoid the sun... But my joint pain and general achiness improved *radically* as I brought my levels up closer to an acceptable level. (I'm still not where my doctor wants it to be -- above 50 -- but I've doubled my levels from where they were at first.)

Yes, thanks to Cillikat I had Vit D levels cked a couple yrs ago and was very deficient. After getting it up, I now take a maintenance dose of about 4,000 to 6,000 IU per day. I suppose I should have it checked again; it's been about a yr, but I assume it's good at the dose I'm taking.

Good thought though, thanks!

I second the idea on checking your D. Fish oil (or other sources of omega-3s) are great for reducing inflammation. I take D3 and fish oil to ease stiffness and swelling in my joints. Also, how are your thyroid levels? When mine dip low, I get symptoms that mimic rheumatoid arthritis. I will feel like I have aged a decade in just a few months.

Guest CarolineUK

I also started getting painful knee joints at around 42 years. I started taking fish oil, then heard about rosehip extract, so started taking Litozin - rosehip and other complementary and alternative medicines for arthritis are detailed in a document produced by the Arthritis Research Campaign here www.arc.org.uk . I also now take vitamin D supplements after reading about it on this forum. Mostly my joints are a lot better nowadays. I find that if I'm on my feet all day they're a lot worse the next day. I have read recommendations that you should sit and rest your legs for 10 minutes in each hour. I have also found what I suspect are hormonal effects, that is, my joints are a lot worse when I have my period. HTH.

Definitely worth a re-check. Some of us just have to take more than others -- and this time of year especially, when we really can't make D ourselves even when we have a nice sunny day.

The other major thing that makes a difference for most people is (refined) sugar intake. Any type of processed sugar (including maple syrup and other natural choices), white flour, etc, causes inflammation in the body. Some people respond similarly to gluten, so reducing or eliminating grain intake can really reduce inflammation effects. (Sugar substitutes are just as bad though -- it's really a matter of learning to get by with less sweetness than replacing sugar with alternative chemicals.)

For my, glucosamine, et al, didn't ever make as much difference as achieving and maintaining good D levels and keeping my sugar intake minimal (though I'm not doing well with that right now! Do as I say, not as I do!)...

Just started regular workouts again and WOW-who gave me these old lady knees and elbows and wrists, etc? :glare:

I was sporadic or not working out for the last ten yrs-sidelined by kids and a herniated disc. Before that I was really active and I'm still in great health and and can run four miles no problem, not overweight, etc. I am SO happy to be in a place where I'm enjoying working out and have time to do it, and I'm just achy in some joints after workouts. Joints just aren't what they used to be-lol!

I'd like to reverse this-reduce pain (it's minor but enough to be annoying), reduce inflammation throughout my body, etc. If I feel like this at 42 I am so worried about how I will feel down the line, and being healthy as I get older is a priority to me. Can't exercise if my joints go bad!

We eat a GREAT diet-almost all organic and non-processed. I just started taking Curcumin capsules and they are wonderful. Taking glucosamine/condroitin too-also decent. What else natural is there to restore and support my joints?

I am just so shocked that they are this weary at this young age! (I was really active when younger-ran since 12 yrs old for about ten years, ballet for 7 yrs, skiied once a wk all winter for about 6 yrs, taught aerobics during the "high impact" days, etc. Did I wear out my knees? :confused:)

You might also want to read about cutting cruciferous vegetables out of your diet. They're well known for aggravating and causing inflammation, especially affecting the joints.

I won't tell you WHAT cruciferous vegetables are (if you're like me, you'll cry at the thought) but consider cutting them out.... THEN go look them up and tell me, "Huh uh."

Well you asked for a natural remedy. How natural do you want?

Here is what I use and I noticed a difference in the first couple of days. Some weeks I have failed to get some in my diet and I notice some pain, but nothing like it was before. There must be some long term effect is the only thing I can figure out. Anywho :

Bone Soup/Broth. Once a week I cook a whole chicken. Debone it, save the skin and bones, drop it in a crock pot. Fill the crockpot with water and about 2 TBSP. of apple cider vinegar, and egg shells (as many as you have or what can fit). Cook on high for at least 24 hours. If the water level gets below the bone level add water to it. You can use beef, chicken, fish, whatever bones you have left over from the week's meals.

A friend who told me about this, was scheduled for knee replacement surgery and cancelled it. He drinks 1 c. of broth a day. I am not that religious about it. I use mine in cooking, (ie both instead of water for rice, in soups ext.) I try to use up that one crock pot of broth within a week. It will keep that long in the fridge. Others freeze it in 1 c. amounts and pull out what they need. BTW, dont use the microwave on it if you are reheating it. Cant remember why.

The other thing I do is take Omega 3,6,9. I am considering droping down to just Omega 3. You have to get the ratio of 3,6, and 9 right and your body produces 9 and I think 6 if you arent getting it from your diet.

Well that's my 2 cents.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? My rheumatologist had mine tested and I was severely deficient. I never would have guessed. I eat well, don't avoid the sun... But my joint pain and general achiness improved *radically* as I brought my levels up closer to an acceptable level. (I'm still not where my doctor wants it to be -- above 50 -- but I've doubled my levels from where they were at first.)

:iagree: I had a DEXA scan and am borderline osteopenia/osteoporosis. Sometimes, I have to get a prescription for 50,000 IU of vit D and it does help with joint pain. I do lots of OTC relief like Capsacin cream, Tylenol (I cannot take NSAIDS with my other meds), ice/heat packs, and exercise. Weight lifting is good for building bone and with knees it helps too. Unfortunately, there is little you can do once the cartilage is worn. Eventually if you are similar to me, you may need to consider surgery, artificial joints, or opiate class of drugs to deal with pain as one ages.

Also, those taking Prilosec have to be aware it leaches vit D to severe low levels. Hubs goes through this often and gets his blood levels checked. HTH

Edited by tex-mex

Also, those taking Prilosec have to be aware it leaches vit D to severe low levels. Hubs goes through this often and gets his blood levels checked. HTH

Thanks for the heads up, I just finished a 6 week course of Prilosec, have neglected to take my vitamin D, and feel like I am slogging through mud. This explains it, at least in part.

I didn't read through these posts. FWIW my fil, in his late 50s is very active, and once had serious problems with his knees. Someone told him about Dr. David Williams' Joint Advantage. It really takes away all his joint pain. The thing is, he has to keep taking it on and off for the last...about 10 yrs. The pain will go away and then come back if he's off to long.

My mom got rid of her hip pain by starting a fish oil supplement.

Very informative thread and very good reminders for me. I've had intermittent knee pain for years and need to be cautious about this. I'm learning a lot right here. Sorry if much of this info is repetitive.

SUPPLEMENTS

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Carlson’s Fish Oil – Omega 3s are anti-inflammatory - get a GOOD fish oil. Do not go for the cheap brands!

1500 mg Glucosamine and 1200 mg Choindrotin Sulfate 3 times a day- try it for 3 months and see if you notice a difference

40-80 mg Hyaluronic Acid (HA) – “Hyal-Joint”

5 grams of the sugar D-ribose twice daily will stimulate the production of ATP, the fuel that powers your body’s tissues and muscles. People who suffer from excessive joint and muscle pain and fibromyalgia (widespread muscle pain) often have low levels of ribose.

NUTRITION

Often, dehydration causes joint pain, which progresses to stiff pain. Make sure you’re drinking enough water!

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Chia Seeds, Walnuts, Flaxseeds – these are naturally anti-inflammatory

Green Tea - 4 cups of green tea daily with a squirt of lemon juice. Green tea can help reduce joint pain greatly.

Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Some studies suggest it works to ease the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also help with other inflammatory conditions, such as tendinitis. Try to mix turmeric with a pinch of black pepper and olive oil. You can use it in all your cooking.

Eat 1 cup a day of red or purple fruits, such as berries, cherries, pomegranates, red grapes – or drink 1 cup of juice without added sugar – these food-based antioxidants help ease inflammation and joint disease like arthritis

Eat cherries as often as possible. Consuming 20 a day (about 2000 mg of cherry fruit extract) has been proven to provide more pain relief than aspirin and other painkillers.

Cherries—when tart—and their juice are rich in melatonin, the antioxidant hormone that regulates circadian rhythms and helps promote sound sleep—without which we’re more likely to pack on pounds and develop diabetes and heart disease. Anti-inflammatory, low-glycemic, and radioprotective, tart cherries and their juice contain more melatonin than is found in human blood, finds Russel Reiter, PhD, at the University of Texas Health Science Center. Eat them fresh or dried, and mix a bit of tart cherry juice with water, particularly when you’re working out—to lessen joint inflammation from exercise.

Sesame Seeds provide plenty of copper, a nutrient essential for joint health – just don’t overdo copper

ACUPUNCTURE helps with all sorts of pain

CHIROPRACTIC/MASSAGE – both help immensely with pain

Be aware that you should wait for any inflammation to subside before starting either.

HYDROTHERAPY has been proven to help with arthritis. No medicine on the market can rival the physiological effects of water. Warm to hot water eases joint pain by reducing swelling and increasing blood flow to fight inflammation.

Begin with a daily 10-minute walk, take up a gentle yoga class, or try the slow movement of Tai Chi. Doing Tai Chi twice a week reduces knee pain, as does strengthening your hips with conditioning exercises.

Water aerobics, gentle yoga, and swimming help also.

YOGA can provide great relief for achy knees

LOSING WEIGHT is key – even 5 extra pounds of weight increases the load on your knees tenfold :glare:

SLEEP - Get enough sleep. Your body needs a full night of quality sleep to fight pain.

More illnesses are caused by a need for magnesium than for calcium.

Arthritis and joint pain are caused by excessive calcium and insufficient magnesium.

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.