Menu

Tell me what vaccinations my cat NEEDS?

I posted about our new kitten, Gracie, a couple of weeks ago. She was found as a tiny kitten on the streets, raised by MIL until she was about 3 months old, and then DD adopted her. It's been a long time since we've had a cat so help me out!

Gracie, is getting spayed tomorrow. The place she's going doesn't push vaccinations, except rabies, but they offer a bunch of different vaccinations and services. They're going to give her her rabies shot tomorrow, but what else should we ask for?

Here's their list of services to choose from:

- Rabies

- FVRCP

- FeLV

- Dewormer

- Heartworm meds

Gracie is an indoor-only kitten. We don't have any other cats, although we have a dog. Does she need those other vaccinations? Do all kittens need to be dewormed? Does she need heartworm meds if she never goes outside?

Thanks!!

I do rabies and FVRCP - that's the feline equivalent of distemper if I recall correctly. Mine are indoor only too.

I also do Advantage or other flea/tick control, especially in the summer. We can bring the little suckers in to them on our clothes - ask me how I know. :glare:

Rabies every year. Distemper every 2 years. Ours also got a feline leukemia vaccination but I think that is only a one-time thing? Don't remember.

Since you have a dog that presumably goes outside to walk, and probably brings in fleas, you might want to get your kitty on flea stuff too.

Both of my cats had 1 round of everything at a kitten at the time they were fixed, then never again. Mine are indoor only cats. We do have an inside/outside dog that stays regular on shots and we live in the hot hot south....never had a flea problem. My first cat died at 9 yrs (diabetes related), and the other is going on 18 yrs.

For a kitten, at least the dewormer. And rabies. If it's affordable, I'd get the others for a kitten too, but at the minimum, I'd keep up with the rabies. We just had an incident around here where a raccoon was wandering around during the day and may have fought a bit with one of our cats (indoor-outdoor cat). He didn't seem to be injured, but I felt a lot better knowing that he was up-to-date on his rabies vaccine (and also that I could prove it, should that need arise).

You may also want to look into flea treatment.

Someone posted here a long time ago that their vet said that indoor-only cats don't need shots. We've had our cat about 3 years, have not updated any of her shots, and she's very healthy. I'm not sure whether it makes a difference if you have dogs that go in and out. We just have the one cat, so she's not exposed to anything via other pets.

My vet doesn't recommend any shots past the standard kitten shots for indoor only cats. She sort of halfway recommends rabies, but only for legal reasons, not because she thinks they need it. You might well need flea stuff because of the dog, but I wouldn't treat her for them preemptively; you can just get the stuff if you see fleas.

Someone posted here a long time ago that their vet said that indoor-only cats don't need shots. We've had our cat about 3 years, have not updated any of her shots, and she's very healthy. I'm not sure whether it makes a difference if you have dogs that go in and out. We just have the one cat, so she's not exposed to anything via other pets.

But I think (I'm not positive) that you do need to do rabies in Texas even if they're indoor only. I'm not sure though.

I'm pretty sure I did most of the kitten shots with my indoor kitties although if money is short I would have cut back. After that year I did nothing. Not even check-ups unless there was a problem. Not sure this is the best way to go but one died last year at 19 and the other just turned 20.

Rabies is for human safety as well as state law. If the cat were to ever bite someone you would have to follow your state guidelines for quarentine and potentially face a large fine

FVRCP: even though she is an indoor cat if you ever leave your house, visit someone else who might have a kitten or go to a pet store who might have a kitten who is infected with one of those diseases you can bring that disease home on your shoes/clothing and potentially give it to your cat.

If you plan to foster cats, bring new cats into your house or let your cat outdoors then i would recommend Leukemia. It does not to be given yearly though but since you said indoor only you really do not need that one. It is cat to cat contact only.

Absolutely deworm and for cleanliness and health reasons it is better to prevent fleas then to get fleas and treat but talk with your vet.

I do rabies and FVRCP - that's the feline equivalent of distemper if I recall correctly. Mine are indoor only too.

I also do Advantage or other flea/tick control, especially in the summer. We can bring the little suckers in to them on our clothes - ask me how I know. :glare:

I'm MUCH more familiar with dog vaccinations so this helps! I'm afraid to ask how you know about bringing fleas and ticks in on your clothes! Ewwww!!!

...and we live in the hot hot south....never had a flea problem. My first cat died at 9 yrs (diabetes related), and the other is going on 18 yrs.

Yeah, we don't have fleas either...or haven't yet. We have our dog on a flea preventative though, to be on the safe side. Fleas are much easier to prevent than to get rid of!

For a kitten, at least the dewormer. And rabies. If it's affordable, I'd get the others for a kitten too, but at the minimum, I'd keep up with the rabies. We just had an incident around here where a raccoon was wandering around during the day and may have fought a bit with one of our cats (indoor-outdoor cat). He didn't seem to be injured, but I felt a lot better knowing that he was up-to-date on his rabies vaccine (and also that I could prove it, should that need arise).

You may also want to look into flea treatment.

I'm so glad your cat is OK! How scary!!

He wants to go to Disney Land to m meet/eat the Mouse!

Read the title of your thread as, "Tell me what VACATION my cat needs?" :D

Sorry, it's bee one of those days.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'll take a vacation to Disney any day. :) Hope tomorrow is better!

I wouldn't skip rabies -- there's always a chance of a wild small animal with it getting *into* your house. Plus if your cat ever manages to escape ... it's just really not worth the risk.

I agree! We're definitely doing rabies.

FVRCP: even though she is an indoor cat if you ever leave your house, visit someone else who might have a kitten or go to a pet store who might have a kitten who is infected with one of those diseases you can bring that disease home on your shoes/clothing and potentially give it to your cat.

If you plan to foster cats, bring new cats into your house or let your cat outdoors then i would recommend Leukemia. It does not to be given yearly though but since you said indoor only you really do not need that one. It is cat to cat contact only.

Thanks!! This is really helpful! So Rabies, FVRCP, and deworming for sure, possibly FeLV. We're definitely not getting more cats or letting our cat outdoors, but I'll talk to the vet about it!

I'd do the rabies and FVRCP. No need for the FELV if she will be indoors. Oh, and if nothing else do the deworming, all kittens have worms, especially ones that were strays, and they are transmissable to people.

I knew most puppies had worms, didn't know that cats did too. Thanks for the info!

YAY! I have a plan now for tomorrow! You guys rock!!

Law requires rabies vac. here in TN and the vet will not see them if they do not have it unless they give it at that visit. All four of mine are indoor cats and they got the standard round when they were kittens and got fixed but only rabies since then. The only thing that they have ever had to be treated for was flatworms, ear mites and fleas as kittens (they were all adopted). Once we conquered those problems, they haven't ever had the need to go back to the vet.

Guest Culbert

Adjuvants are the compounds that are mixed in vaccine to increase their effectiveness . They have the side effects . The best choice might be intranasal vaccine which require no injection . Vaccines stimulates the immune system . Kittens should receive their FPV,FCV, Cv Vaccinations at 7 to 9 weeks of age.

That's not a list to chose from. It's a list of basic needs.

She also needs a Feline Leukemia & FIV test before you do anything else.

A lot of people feel that the risks outweigh the benefits for some routine cat vaccines, at least for indoor cats. I've done some reading about the increased risk of cancer at the injection site in vaccinated cats, and that, along with my vet's recommendations, has convinced me to stop vaccinating my indoor cats for most things.

I thought I'd give a quick update. We dropped her off this morning and they're giving her rabies, FVRCP, FeLV, microchipping, spaying, and deworming her. Then we'll bring her back in 3 weeks for one more FVRCP, FeLV, and a deworming.

Our vet's recommendation was to do FeLV now, but not do the boosters later on. She said FeLV is most dangerous in kittens and that a lot of adult cats who are exposed can fight off the infection. Also she said there's some evidence that doing the FeLV now will give her a degree of lifelong immunity even without the boosters later on so for an indoor only animal she doesn't think the boosters are necessary.

Thanks again for all the info and advice!