Menu

Can you "develop" a sensitivity to processed foods?

I was raised on processed foods. You know, boxed macaroni and cheese, boxed cereal, canned this and boxed that and frozen whatever. My mom didn't cook from scratch all that much.

Since I have been here I don't eat very much boxed/canned/processed food at all. It is not only very expensive but there is so much good food cooked from scratch everywhere you go.

Now don't get me wrong...I am not saying that it is all necessarily "healthy" food because goodness knows it has lots of fats and oils, etc. :tongue_smilie: But just not "processed" .... no canned food, no boxed food, etc.

Well the last two or three times that I DID eat more processed foods...like I went to McDonalds two days ago... I have felt very ill. My stomach is upset and I just feel yucky in general. It usually lasts a day or two.

Do you think it is possible that my body no longer "likes" processed foods with lots of additives and preservatives (even though I ate plenty of them until about two years ago)? Or is it something else?

I definitely think what you describe is possible, as it's happened to my family also. We've gradually given up processed foods over the past few years. Once or twice a year we break down and have "junk" food (think pizza rolls and other purchased appetizers), usually for New Year's Eve, and we all feel ill afterward, and it's not from over eating.

You probably inadvertently detoxed yourself and now when you attempt to eat junk again, your body tells you in no uncertain terms that it is not welcome. ;)

Due to some illness 4 years ago, I have changed my diet around and when I come across some sugar (think last Christmas :glare:) I felt like a slug dragging my body around. Come January, I quickly went back to my normal diet and had a lot more energy again.

Sure. Think about it from your body's perspective. You've been feeding it the way it likes to be fed, so it has got all happy and trusting. Then you've done the dirty and fed it junk. It's throwing a tantrum!

Rosie

I really like the visuals that come to mind with this description. :lol:

I really like the visuals that come to mind with this description. :lol:

uh, yup. That definitely describes what my bodyhas been doing the last two days. My two boys have been feeling icky too.

Funny, I can eat a whole plate of chicken sambal that is so spicy it tastes like it is seasoned with lava and I am fine, but one Big Mac and I am down for the count!

I was raised on processed foods. You know, boxed macaroni and cheese, boxed cereal, canned this and boxed that and frozen whatever. My mom didn't cook from scratch all that much.

Since I have been here I don't eat very much boxed/canned/processed food at all. It is not only very expensive but there is so much good food cooked from scratch everywhere you go.

Now don't get me wrong...I am not saying that it is all necessarily "healthy" food because goodness knows it has lots of fats and oils, etc. :tongue_smilie: But just not "processed" .... no canned food, no boxed food, etc.

Well the last two or three times that I DID eat more processed foods...like I went to McDonalds two days ago... I have felt very ill. My stomach is upset and I just feel yucky in general. It usually lasts a day or two.

Do you think it is possible that my body no longer "likes" processed foods with lots of additives and preservatives (even though I ate plenty of them until about two years ago)? Or is it something else?

Yes. Once I started eating non-processed food exclusively, I found my digestive system didn't respond well to processed foods on the occassions I did have it. I have known several other people with the same issue.

You can probably train your body back to accepting the junk, but it's not a goal that's worth the pain!

:)

Rosie

Isn't that the truth.

You know, I was cleaning out the car the other day and we took out our daughter's car seat and underneath it were some old french fries that had fallen down there. I wondered "How long has THAT been there?" and then I wondered "Why isn't moldy?" How can something sit under a car seat in blistering tropical heat for weeks or months and NOT rot? And that's what I am eating? Gross. :tongue_smilie:

I agree its highly likely (and it has certainly happened to me- I cant eat all sorts of things I used to and even my kids can only eat so much cr*p before asking me "for something healthy, please"), but the other possiblity is that you are in a 3rd world country..who knows what they put in their Big Macs. I have been to McDonalds in India and it was...kinda wierd :) For starters they had no beef, which I thought was very unique but understandable considering the religion of most Indians considers the cow sacred.

Considering the disgusting things that these fast food places do to their food even in the West (according to many teenagers who work there), who knows what it was you actually ate :)

Sorry, thats just where my mind goes:001_smile:.

I have been to McDonalds in India and it was...kinda wierd :) For starters they had no beef

That's interesting. I've never been to a McD's here in India, though I don't go there anywhere else, either, lol, so not too surprising. Maybe I'll pop into one just to see what it's like.:D

Heather, last night the kids begged for pasta salad, so I let them make a package of pasta, chop up the veggies, and make a sauce for it. I had a few bites, but then just put it down and said I had to have some sambhar. So they ate pasta salad and I had rice and sambhar.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to leave India. I love the food too much!

I agree completely. I cook just about everything from scratch. We don't eat out very often, but on the occasions when we do, I spend a significant portion of the next day in the bathroom. It makes me sad that giving myself a break from cooking, or going out to celebrate a special event carries with it such a heavy price. I wonder if it is worth it sometimes. :sad:

I agree completely. I cook just about everything from scratch. We don't eat out very often, but on the occasions when we do, I spend a significant portion of the next day in the bathroom. It makes me sad that giving myself a break from cooking, or going out to celebrate a special event carries with it such a heavy price. I wonder if it is worth it sometimes. :sad:

Last time my husband offered to takes out to dinner I felt the same way. My response was, "No, it's not worth it. I'll cook." We do have a few local sit down places that if we order carefully are ok. But there is no going for burgers or tacos.

yep. I know what you mean. There is a restaurant my dad frequents that my kids LOVE! I can't eat anything but very basic stuff (salad etc.) there or I get a stomach upset.

So whenever we have to do restaurants, I try to choose things that have the least fat and processed carbs because that is what makes me feel icky.

Yep, but for me it was a sudden thing. Almost immediately after my first child was born, I became intolerant of processed food. I developed chronic hives, really awful ones. It took me months to figure it out. As long as I eat clean, the hives are minimal to nonexistent. And I rarely cheat (unless desperate for food), because it just isn't worth it.