Menu

what does dad teach in your house?

iona

I am the one who plans the overarching curriculum, writes the list for day by day, buys the books, etc. It's mostly phonics, math, Bible, and reading this year.

My husband does the schooling three days a week, and I do the other two days' worth somewhere between Friday and Sunday. We both work outside the home, but his schedule has him at home more during the day. We split up by day and not by subject. It's good for him. Watching our little guy learn new concepts is a lot more rewarding than what he does for a living.

My dh majored in Fine Arts and minored in mathematics. Right now, dh teaches my dd drawing and painting and assigns her work to develop her artistic abilities. I'm able to keep up with the mathematics for the moment, but math has always been my worst subject so I foresee my dh having to take that over sometime in the near future also as she gets into the higher maths. I teach everything else though.

thanks for sharing...i was really interested in hearing how things worked in different families.

and the pp was right when you suggested i should ask him what he wants to do.

i could have phrased the question differently. there are actual subjects and there is the "other stuff" that is technically not school but still enriching and educational.

my intent is not to overburden dh in addition to his work outside the home, but find ways to creatively involve him in the kids' learning.

thanks again

Atm? Daddy teaches Shenanigans for beginners. :tongue_smilie:

He doesn't do anything yet (mostly b/c we don't do much yet!) but he's much more technically and spatially-minded than I am, so I may have him take over higher level math (unless we choose to use a tutor or comm. college), science experiments that involve building things or anything electrical, and some of the messier projects that I might not feel like dealing with.

I think it'll be good for my girls to have Daddy involved..he's such a goofball that I know he'll be able to illicit a better attitude about schoolwork than I ever could!! He also has a much wider knowledge base for the sciences and math, having completed much higher levels than I ever did in formal schooling. I'm really glad I have a willing and able hubby to help out when I need him, as I know some hs moms don't. :(

My dh has his degree in elem. music and is creative almost to a fault, if that is possible. He teaches music, art and all things non-linear. (I have my degree in math and love a linear thought progression.) One of the best things we did with their music education was to place their "school time" during his private lesson time. I know there are a lot of moms and dads that teach an instrument in private instruction, but struggle with teaching their kids at home. Having the kids slotted in to his lesson schedule meant everyone took the time more seriously and the kids look forward to one-on-one time with dad every week.

My Dh works 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week. I feel bad asking him to do things, but I still do. Mostly he has discussions with the kids on all things sciency. Also he's more then happy to sit and watch Science channel with DS(right this minute in fact) and answer questions. He has also agreed to do more next year with DS's math. I let him know last night that next years Science (CPO Earth) will require building things. He's agreed to help in theory.

my husband really isn't over anything with our homeschooling. He has taught them, but I had to leave everything out with instructions that explicitly said to do "xyz". i do not consult him in any manner about our curriculum, schedule, etc. i don't want his input honestly, lol. he's totally supportive though & thinks homeschooling is great. even though he isn't involved with teaching, he works 2 jobs so that i can be home with the kids. so i feel he is very involved in other ways.

ETA - oh! he teaches guitar & drums! he's an amazing musician, so my kids do learn from him in that regard. plus, he reads every night to the kids & leads a family devotional daily...I guess I think of that as family stuff...not necessarily homeschool.:)

Edited by mytwomonkeys

My dh is a software developer. Ds is interested in the field. So far dh has taught him Intro to Programming using Alice and is now teaching Intro to Robotics with Lego Mindstorms. They have a great time geeking out together:lol:. He will continue to teach the computer related classes and be there as a math tutor when we get into higher level maths.

He's working on some programming in Scratch with ds5, and lately he's taken over cello practice since for logistics reasons he's had to be the one to take DS to lessons. Plus other random things, mostly math or computer-related.

DH is a Ph.D. candidate in math, but that background has not proven to be all that relevant to teaching math to a kindergartener. :001_smile: If we wind up homeschooling all the way through, though, then presumably he will have the chance to teach more.

The proper way to belch after imbibing carbonated beverages.

Is hilarious misinformation a subject?

Do you have your kids do Standardized Tests for these subjects?

I hope so, because if they are not learning what they need to know you should probably have a professional teach them.

Just sayin'.

:D

You ladies made me laugh out loud.

Algebra. Thank-God.

He is also a science and political junkie so frequently the kids are gathered around the computer with him looking at some Astronomy or NASA pictures/ articles or he'll bring up some news piece (like Egypt last week) that gets everyone interested, discussing, reading, learning.

He is also a Theology/Church History/Middle East watcher and there are many many discussions about the latest news in church history/biblical archeology or theology (practical, systematic, cultural relevancy, soteriology, eschatology, etc ;)). They are defiinitly benefitting from his expensive graduate training;). It's more discipleship training than actual sitting down with a book training.

Last year he taught Apologetics (using Mere Christianity and Evidence that Demands a Verdict for the rhetoric age kids and Narnia for the dialectic age kids) in our 2 day a week academic program that burned along with our house. Our 16 yo goes to the young men's bible study my dh teaches and has gone through Job and Hebrews with them.

They have also learned beaucoups about science because he is, truly, a scientist at heart. Science News is de rigeur reading around here.

He also teaches house re-building skills like taping, mudding, tiling, etc.

My dh doesn't teach anything. My first thought when I read the title was, "I don't go to his work and do part of his job, why would he do parts of mine?"

Well, I've been known to help my husband with his job. We worked together for years before we had kids. :)

I don't need his help with homeschooling, but I think our children's experience is richer because he enjoys being involved as his time and interest permits.

Music - impromptu lessons on the organ, bass, guitar or drums - mostly a bit of theory and then a bunch of improv. He does this of his own accord

Current Events - He finds a great article for DS13 to read each week and then they discuss it at dinner. I've requested this, as he spends time reading the news everyday, whereas I'm more of an NPR radio type person.

All the machine maintenance, wood cutting, electronic and computer stuff that I'm not great at.

He also has the patience to watch kids movies and Just Play (something it's hard for me to do!)

At this very moment, that by yelling "We come in Peace" at the watertank on the Air Force base the other night, he has saved them from being slaves to aliens with no belly buttons and that they should be thanking him that they have school to do today instead of having to polish the feet of alien overlords.

:lol:

My husband travels during the week, but on the weekend, tables are turned and my daughter turns into the teacher. Daddy is the student. He gets to learn Latin, Spanish, history, and science. :) The Spanish is coming in handy, as his current client is in Mexico and that's where he going every week this spring.

When he's not being taught by a six year old, he'll help participate in art, science, history projects that are fun.

He doesn't teach anything. He's a computer geek, but I'm way more of a geek than him and will be the one to teach my daughter programming and building her own computer.

Nothing. He makes the money that enables us to buy the curriculum.:D

On the rare occasion when I'm gone and he is here while the kids are doing school, he cracks the whip, but that's it.

I do it all.

That is us except he doesn't make enough alone for curriculum :) I pitch in with that!

Nothing steady yet, and it's been ten years since we started! lol

That said, in dh's defense, he's great about unstructured stuff. He's the one to mess with iMovie with them, and sort of facilitates things like impromptu filmmaking, electronic tinkering, and such. It's not consistent, but the kids do get a lot out of those times.

Patty

Edited by Tutu

my dh is our class clown. :glare: :D

He is home every night for dinner and puts the boys to bed each night. He is a great dad but not a "homeschooling dad". He supports me as I home school, but I am given full responsibility and freedom (including budgetary freedom). ;)

This is us as well. He has no real desire to teach and that is totally fine w/ me. He's great about letting me get what I want, taking me to homeschool conventions, listening to me whine on bad days etc. ;) Oh, he does help if he's home from work and I'm sick.

Edited by Homemama2

At the moment, mostly PE. He's about the least athletic fellow around, but tickle fights would be PE, yes? Exercise and body awareness? :D

When the kids are bigger he'll teach them all the computery stuff he thinks necessary, statistics and strategy in the form of RPGs and Latin reinforcement. I'll teach the Latin curriculum, but he'll speak it to them, read to them and generally horse around with it, I expect.

Rosie