Menu

S/o the 4 day school week: Does anyone school 6 days/wk?

We tend to school 6 days per week. It's not something we ever planned out but to get everything done AND get to visit with friends and participate in activities AND in order to have less full to bursting kinds of days (fewer work and no play days) we have just fallen into a pattern of 6 day school weeks.

During our week, we have a good full day on Monday. T and R are busy with online classes in the morning and either fiddle lessons (T) or Writing club ® in the afternoon. She has Catholic girls' club 1st and 3rd Friday mornings and Riding lessons 2nd and 4th Friday afternoons. Sometimes we have friends over in the afternoons, too.

With everything we do, we could get our school done in 5 or even 4 days but our days would be packed from early till late. We could give up some things but we like everything we do. So, to have full but not over full to bursting days, we usually end up having school 6 days per week.

In fact, today, Saturday, my daughter practiced fiddle, played at a pub, took a Latin vocab quiz, a science test, worked on a history project. Yet, yesterday, a traditional school day, she only did Math hmwk, studied for her Latin and Science tests, and worked on some domestic arts projects.

Well, as a matter of fact, we log school 7 days per week. My girl has Scripture study at church with our Deacon on Sundays and I log that for Religion. If we go to the ballet on a Sunday we log that for Fine Arts or if we go hiking or to an activity at the nature center we log that as PE *and* science. I never assign wk for Sunday ever but if we do something, I log it.

I think the things that keeps us from being overwhelmed by this is that 1) we don't *always* have school on Saturday and 2) Our days are pleasant; pleasantly full and not so full they're stressful.

So that other thread has me wondering . . . anyone else school 6 days/week?

I was thinking of starting a thread like this, too...

I'm also considering moving to a 6 day schoolweek. :glare: In fact, let's just plan to start next week as our 1st 6-day schoolweek. :D My husband works 7 days a week, so what's the difference?

My kids are in cheerleading, basketball, girl scouts, boy scouts, a homeschool group AND they take some co-op classes. You can't say they're not socialized. Sheesh.

Friday, it was 77 degrees here, so I took my kids to the beach (when we normally do school). The beach counts as a subject, right? :tongue_smilie: Science? Geography? They really had a blast, though. It was like a Norman Rockwell painting. lol.

Well, in my opinion, that's the beauty of a 6 day school week. I think trips to the beach are imortant. I know you're kind of kiddding but honestly, it's science, language arts (now with many images to use in their writing), PE, geology, and probably more. Life 101! This is, to me, still a school day. So what if you still have math practice or a quiz to take on Saturday? You have stuff that has to get done and it gets done.

I'm glad you went to the beach Friday.

Friday, it was 77 degrees here, so I took my kids to the beach (when we normally do school). The beach counts as a subject, right? :tongue_smilie: Science? Geography? They really had a blast, though. It was like a Norman Rockwell painting. lol.

Send the 77 degrees here and you can count beach for whatever you like. :)

We do a 6-7 day week also. It allows us a lot more flexibility to do whatever we want (co-op, online classes, sports, etc.). If we tried to stuff everything into 4 or 5 days, I think we'd burn out. This is more fun and allows us to spend more alert time learning. It also helps the kids realize that there are trade offs in life. If you want to do x, then you will have to find time somewhere else to do y.

Wishing I had a beach to head off to right now...

Yes, we regularly plan 6 days of school work, although I will admit to day 6 being a 1/2 day (math, literature, either history or science)

It helps us remain on schedule in subjects we seem to perpetually fall behind due to sickness, appointments, or unexpected trips/guests, etc.

When nothing goes wonky, we simply get "ahead" -- It's a much nicer position to be on-track to finish school in April... than rushing to finish it in July, right before our "new year" is supposed to begin. (Not that the kiddos get summers off, because they don't... poor things. They have a slave driver for a mother.)

We do it 6-7 days a week, with 1-2 hours M-F (math, reading and one or two of spelling, grammar, and writing--we may also review something, or look at art or listen to music), and 3-6 hours on S/S. We are falling into a routine of Science Sunday, and I have the purple cabbage water strained ready for 9 little glasses and a series of reagents in the kitchen, awaiting dawn. :)

I do this sched because I work, because kiddo is wiggly, because I demand a lot, and we couldn't have such "dense" sessions if we were doing it all day. Not me, not him.

We do too, for all the reasons mentioned. Actually, we've been known to do some schoolwork every day of the week--if something needs to be done, we do it! To be honest, I schedule a four-day school week. We just always let thing slide if we need to (and we always need to :lol:). My girls don't know any different. They have no idea of the concept of "weekends off." My DH is in sales and has always worked weekends, and as far as they know, I have always worked from home and spread my work out across the entire week as well. It just makes life easier.

Yes, many times, but not every week. My dd is s.n. and her issues prohibit long days. Still, the days turn out long b/c I have to give her breaks. Honestly, it's like a full time job. Lately she's had to work on Saturday's by finishing an extra math lesson to catch up. She did so poorly on her last math chapter that she missed several math problems from several lessons in that one chapter. So, what do I do? I make her rework those problems. She has equivalent to 2 full lessons just in the number of math problems she needs to correct. It's Sunday, after church and running errands. She is downstairs correcting those problems.

Not what I had in mind for h'school. But, if she doesn't master a math concept now, then she'll not have gained a thorough understanding to master it in higher level math.

I started h'schooling during the summer to help compensate for these issues mentioned. It has helped, but she's still behind in math and is exactly the reason why she does at least math now on Saturday's to knock out a lesson on that day. She will just finish end of May or first part of June...her math! Whew. Then 1 week off and she'll start math grade 7. This will be our 2nd or 3rd summer, don't remember which. I school her about 1/3 of a full schedule. So, this year, I'm going to try to have her do math and language.....one week 2 days, the next week 3 days and alternate each week. I may through in one week around the middle of summer and have her do school on a full schedule....it will be HOT outside, etc.

My kids may work on Saturday, but I don't teach on Saturdays. So, if work hasn't gotten done during the week, they complete it, but we don't start anything new. I have to have time on the weekends to run-errands, cook a little bit extra for the week, sleep-in, visit with friends, clean, ect.

We do. We school 6 days a week, year round, except when dh has vacations. Learning is not a seasonal or scheduled thing here; we are trying to instill that it is what you do every day, always. We only take off Sunday because of religious services and commitments that day. We often take days off to take educational day trips, so some weeks (maybe a third of our weeks?) we only have formal bookwork for 4-5 days, and the other day or two are spent at a museum or activity.